PDA

View Full Version : what about Bailey for Bard?

Redsfansince72
03-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Saw the Red Sox were pushing Daniel Bard to being a starter. Since they traded for another Bailey from the A's.

Why not offer Bailey and a lower prospect for Bard and let him be our closer? then opens a spot for Chapman in the rotation.

The DARK
03-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Seems a reasonable idea to me. Bard would solidify our bullpen once more, give Chapman a reasonable chance to be used as a starter, and give Boston a definite answer in the rotation. That said, I'm not entirely sold that we have another 5th starter answer just yet. Francis got blown up recently and should probably be limited to filling in for now. Chapman's speed drop-off is concerning and he probably should be getting up his arm strength in AAA until the time is right. Injuries will happen as well, and beyond those two we have a whole lot of nothing waiting in the minors.

herbdizzle
03-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Chapman will not be the closer. Period. Jocketty did not sign Marshall to a 3 year extension to be an 8th inning guy over the length of his contract. Marshall is a dependable and durable lefty who has posted the best reliever splits in the NL over the last 2 years. All the talk about Chapman as closer is only due to Dusty Baker's insecurity over his job and wanting to use his golden arm in the recently opened slot. Jocketty and the FO will make d___n well sure Chapman stays on the starter schedule.

joe51391
03-27-2012, 10:43 PM
I like the deal but what about LeCure as the 5th starter

The DARK
03-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Chapman will not be the closer. Period. Jocketty did not sign Marshall to a 3 year extension to be an 8th inning guy over the length of his contract. Marshall is a dependable and durable lefty who has posted the best reliever splits in the NL over the last 2 years. All the talk about Chapman as closer is only due to Dusty Baker's insecurity over his job and wanting to use his golden arm in the recently opened slot. Jocketty and the FO will make d___n well sure Chapman stays on the starter schedule.

My apologies, mistakenly wrote "give Chapman a reasonable chance to be used as a closer". I meant starter. Edited it to erase confusion. I agree, Chapman should be given every chance to start.