PDA

View Full Version : Chances Reds make a final trade before opening day

brm7675
03-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Okay what do you think are the chances Walt pulles off a trade before opening day?

texasdave
03-28-2012, 03:56 PM
I said 30% because 20% wasn't a choice. If it is short-term they probably stay with in-house options. If more bad news pops up then he may be forced to pull the trigger. I say Walt is in 'sit tight' mode right now. Or maybe 'sit tight and cross your fingers' mode.

R_Webb18
03-28-2012, 04:00 PM
slim chance atm imo

Nathan
03-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Last count: 2 open spots on the 40 (Judy outrighted, Madson 60 day DL). The only player that may make the team that's not on the 40: 1 (Francis). Trade possible. Not guaranteed.

The DARK
03-28-2012, 06:39 PM
30% sounds reasonable to me. It's not like we don't have options. Fisher is reliable. Judy seems capable of handling a middle relief job. Francis will probably be useful out of the bullpen. Mike Gonzalez might also be a worthy addition if we need him. Either way, I'd ride this wave of injuries out rather than losing value over it.

RedsfaninMT
03-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Beginning to be worrisome. Bray hasn't pitched, Masset's out, Madson gone for the year. So pen right now is Marshall, Ondrusek, Arrendondo, LeCure and that's it?

Reds bring up Judy, they have to move somebody off the 40 man roster.

I'd be making a trade. Doesn't have to be a stud, but somebody has got to be available without trading away too much.

Maybe Majewski is available?

redsfanmia
03-28-2012, 06:52 PM
The payroll is tapped out so unless we bring in a minimum guy or trade salaries then nothing is going to happen.

texasdave
03-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Beginning to be worrisome. Bray hasn't pitched, Masset's out, Madson gone for the year. So pen right now is Marshall, Ondrusek, Arrendondo, LeCure and that's it?

Reds bring up Judy, they have to move somebody off the 40 man roster.

I'd be making a trade. Doesn't have to be a stud, but somebody has got to be available without trading away too much.

Maybe Majewski is available?

Bray finally made his first appearance the other night.

brm7675
03-28-2012, 07:16 PM
The payroll is tapped out so unless we bring in a minimum guy or trade salaries then nothing is going to happen.

I find it laughable this whole idea that the the payroll is "tapped" out...:laugh:

redsfanmia
03-28-2012, 07:45 PM
I find it laughable this whole idea that the the payroll is "tapped" out...:laugh:

Why is it laughable? All the reports are that the payroll is at it's max.

brm7675
03-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Why is it laughable? All the reports are that the payroll is at it's max.

Simple, look at bob's history, he spends money when "he" wants to be dam the budget. Is there a "set" budget sure there is, but will that stop the Reds from making moves if Bob likes it and thinks it will help the team...not a chance...these owners are raking it in...

texasdave
03-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Simple, look at bob's history, he spends money when "he" wants to be dam the budget. Is there a "set" budget sure there is, but will that stop the Reds from making moves if Bob likes it and thinks it will help the team...not a chance...these owners are raking it in...

Name one example where Bob went out and spent a bunch of money that cratered his set budget? Take your time. You're gonna need it.

redsfanmia
03-28-2012, 07:59 PM

I think Bob's mantra has always been that he doesn't need to make money off the team but he is not going to lose money on the team.

redsfanmia
03-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Name one example where Bob went out and spent a bunch of money that cratered his set budget? Take your time. You're gonna need it.

Pretty sure he never has.

DirtyBaker
03-28-2012, 09:09 PM
I found it odd the OP included every interval of 10 except for 20 - which is exactly where I'd guess. I see a trade as the least likely way Walt decides to fill the bullpen. I would expect Jeff Francis gets converted, if not Mike Gonzalez or other FA gets signed, and if not any of these, perhaps a trade. Problem is, the major trading chips are gone.

If Walt can deal Juan Fransisco for an average reliever he should, even if it means giving up a much needed left handed pitch hitter.

NCCardfan
03-28-2012, 09:18 PM
I said 30% because 20% wasn't a choice. If it is short-term they probably stay with in-house options. If more bad news pops up then he may be forced to pull the trigger. I say Walt is in 'sit tight' mode right now. Or maybe 'sit tight and cross your fingers' mode.

I said 10% because 20% wasn't a choice. I guess we leveled each other out:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Personally my feelings are that Bob won't spend any money to fix a hole in the roster unless the Reds are in a playoff hunt. Going over his budget before the season opener is not the way he does business. JMHO

Krawhitham
03-28-2012, 09:26 PM
50-50 Phillips is traded

Walt said the Phillips issue would be settled by opening day, to me that means if he can not get him signed to a reasonable contract he will trade him and call up Chris Valaika who hit .391 in SP

jhu1321
03-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Somebody would have to offer a kings ransom to pry BP. We need his bat and is our lead off hitter.

swaisuc
03-29-2012, 07:38 AM
50-50 Phillips is traded

Walt said the Phillips issue would be settled by opening day, to me that means if he can not get him signed to a reasonable contract he will trade him and call up Chris Valaika who hit .391 in SP

So he goes from not making the roster to starting every day? I'm not even sure we have a backup 2B now, and we're talking about trading our starter.

brm7675
03-29-2012, 11:45 AM
50-50 Phillips is traded

Bob won't approve a trade of Brandon..never happen..