PDA

View Full Version : Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Revering4Blue
03-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Maybe it is just me, but it seems as if today's Rock radio (not pop/top 40) formats are way too specialized with shrinking playlists. Mainstream (AOR) Rock radio is becoming a thing of the past.

Rock stations have either gone the "Classic Rock" (Read: "Hotel California" and the like repeated ad nauseam." or the "Active Rock" (Read: Predominately Bad--screaming/monotone-- Metal mixed with solid Mainstream bands such as the Foo Fighters." Adult Album Alternative Stations (Rock, for the most part, not "heavy" enough for Active Rock stations, but minus the "bubblegum" music prevalent among "Pop" radio stations.) are few and far between.

To further illustrate my point, check out the latest Billboard Rock Songs Chart.

How many stations play all of the charted songs?

http://www.billboard.com/charts/rock-songs#/charts/rock-songs

I miss the days when Mainstream Rock Radio encompassed all types of current Rock and contained a much larger "Classic Rock" library.

It's no wonder one has to virtually go the XM/Sirius/Internet route to satisfy Rock radio cravings, which is a shame.

Rojo
03-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Changing music, changing demographics. A few years ago, San Francisco lost it's last "stardust" station -- Big Band-era music. The audience was dying off.

Spazzrico
03-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Radio began its slow death in 1996 with the passage of the Telecommunications Act that deregulated radio markets. Once conglomerates could buy up most of the stations in a market, they had no incentive to compete, and provide innovative and interesting content. This isn't the only reason, but it was the beginning.

Caveat Emperor
03-30-2012, 06:46 PM
The market speaks. Cincinnati has had several stations like you're describing (the old "Channel Z," 94.9 "The Sound" and "Frequency" 94.1), but they all end up flipping formats because the ratings in key demos just aren't there.

OldRightHander
03-31-2012, 01:06 AM
How many people like me just don't listen to much radio anymore? I tend to buy what I like and listen to that primarily, using the radio for sports and other talk content and plugging in the iPod when I want music. Maybe that's because most of what's on the radio is junk these days.

fearofpopvol1
03-31-2012, 02:40 AM
Radio began its slow death in 1996 with the passage of the Telecommunications Act that deregulated radio markets. Once conglomerates could buy up most of the stations in a market, they had no incentive to compete, and provide innovative and interesting content. This isn't the only reason, but it was the beginning.

This is spot-on.

Commercial music radio in general is now a dying format. There are just too many options with talk radio, ipods, iphones etc. Most people I do believe want curated music, but the current FM options are just too bland and it's littered with commercials galore and repeated playlists. Not to mention, they've lost a lot of ratings. When I was growing up, listening to the radio was not only something you did in the car, but something you did in the house often. The vast majority of people today do not listen to the local radio stations in their homes as there are too many ways to spend one's time. Now, commercial music radio stations are lucky if they get people to tune in whilst in the car and most people don't. Advertisers are pulling out left and right and some FM stations are turning into talk radio stations. This trend will only continue.

I honestly don't think Sirius or XM will survive too much longer itself, but they may live a little longer because of Stern, their variety and other offerings.

jwdoc77
03-31-2012, 10:00 AM
If you are looking for something with a huge playlist that will introduce you to much more music than mainstream radio and a good variety at that, check out KEXP.org. It is publicly funded, listener supported radio out of seatle. Actual intelligent DJ's, all music and no commercials, and lots of in studios from artists. I stream the station all day at work and couldnt live without it. They also have a smartphone app. Good music that you like is out there, you just have to find it.

reds1869
03-31-2012, 11:52 AM
The only over the air music station I listen to in the car is WNKU. Other than that it is CDs for me (yes, I still have those shiny disks). I'm a big fan of the format you mention but I fear it will never come back because it just isn't commercially viable.

Roy Tucker
04-01-2012, 10:33 AM
I read in the paper this AM that WEBN's ratings are waaaaauy down. I can't remember the last time I dialed over there.

dabvu2498
04-01-2012, 03:18 PM
I read in the paper this AM that WEBN's ratings are waaaaauy down. I can't remember the last time I dialed over there.

That's because it's painful to listen to them anymore. They have no identity.

KronoRed
04-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Rock is dead.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't enjoy listening to what I have on my Android as much as hearing a station, I know all of the songs on my phone, even if I move them around, I still know what songs are there and nothing is a 'surprise'.

I hope xm doesn't die anytime soon.

Revering4Blue
04-01-2012, 06:08 PM
In a March 8th article in Rolling Stone, Bill Werde reported only six percent of teenagers in the U.S. listen to rock at any given time, compared with nearly twenty percent listening to urban radio and forty percent listening to Top Forty radio stations. Since 1998 album-oriented rock stations have seen listenership fall seventy percent while Spanish-language radio ratings are up thirty percent the latter of which could be partly attributed to the Hispanic population becoming the United States’ largest minority population in 2003.

Along with demographic reasons, the decline of rock radio could also be attributed to the Internet and illegal downloading, Satellite radio and the overall ignorance of the music industry towards rock music.

“It seems the current music industry doesn’t focus on rock musicians as much as pop stars,” says rock fan T.J Karpinka of Sherwood Park, Canada. “Too me, it’s more of a cash grab than anything.”

And it’s not just fans that feel that way but performers as well. “An act like ours wouldn’t even be around today if someone hadn’t brought us along and let us make mistakes and grow at our own pace,” said Tom Petty in a Rolling Stone interview with David Wild in 2002. E-street Band guitarist and Sopranos actor Stevie Van Zandt said similar comments in an interview earlier this year with News Hour Correspondent Terrence Smith where the rocker stated that if the Rolling Stones were starting out today, they wouldn’t get airplay on regular radio.

An employee from 97.7 HTZ-FM in St, Catharines, Canada who wished to remain anonymous blamed the decline mainly on the quality of mainstream rock. “I think the primary factor numbers have slid because of mediocre music."

Absolutely. Nu-Metal/Rap-Metal accepted as Mainstream Rock? :barf:

http://www.antimusic.com/lowdown/05/radio.shtml

kaldaniels
04-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Absolutely. Nu-Metal/Rap-Metal accepted as Mainstream Rock? :barf:

http://www.antimusic.com/lowdown/05/radio.shtml

Whoa...

Are you implying Hot Dog Flavored Water and the Chocolate Starfish is not in the same conversation as Sgt. Pepper? :lol:

fearofpopvol1
04-01-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm not of the mindset that rock is dead. It's just that there aren't too many quality rock bands out there and its radio formats are clustered. Classic rock has a limited audience as it doesn't appeal to most youngsters.

When good rock bands come along, they typically do very well. Unfortunately, they're rare anymore.

Revering4Blue
04-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Whoa...

Are you implying Hot Dog Flavored Water and the Chocolate Starfish is not in the same conversation as Sgt. Pepper? :lol:

Honestly, Limp Bizkit and Disturbed are not really my bag. To be fair, I've never listened to a CD by either Artist--just what I heard on the radio.

Full disclosure: I cannot stand Rap/Hip-Hop and all of the derivatives, but to each his/her own.

BTW, great spot-on comments all around from everyone in this thread.

Thanks.

jwdoc77
04-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm not of the mindset that rock is dead. It's just that there aren't too many quality rock bands out there and its radio formats are clustered. Classic rock has a limited audience as it doesn't appeal to most youngsters.

When good rock bands come along, they typically do very well. Unfortunately, they're rare anymore.

Rock is not dead...not even close. There is so much good rock music out there now...probably more than at any other time in the history of music. Its just much more do it yourself and independent these days. Rock is no longer mainstream sure...but these artist are out there and making fantastic music. You as a listener however are not going to have them spoonfed to you by mainstream radio (clear channel) at this point in time. You have to actively look for them. And to be honest with you, I prefer it that way. Artist are more accesable, shows at smaller more intimate venues. As a fan it is great not having to deal as much with the masses who only go to a show to get wasted and talk to there bros. Ive actually met and become good friends with members of two bands who are some of my favorites.
What I would suggest to anyone wanting to find out about new bands is go to your local record store...talk to them about the kind of music you like...they will open your eyes to all kinds of great stuff out there. Go see local bands, listen to a station like KEXP with an open mind and check out their website. There is so much good rock music out there guys, you just cant rely on your local clear channel affiliate to provide it to you.

kaldaniels
04-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Absolutely agree JW. And I'm not the type that hunts down the local bands either. Without naming bands I can simply say if you are willing to look great music is out there. More so than 10 years ago I'd even say.

Spazzrico
04-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Definitely still good rock out there. For me it has been much more labor intensive to find it since WOXY went of the air (Best damn station evah!) 3hive (http://3hive.com/) is a pretty great site for sampling new music. Many of the bands I love I found here. All downloads are free and legal for promo purposes.

Caveat Emperor
04-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Rock is not dead...not even close. There is so much good rock music out there now...probably more than at any other time in the history of music. Its just much more do it yourself and independent these days. Rock is no longer mainstream sure...but these artist are out there and making fantastic music. You as a listener however are not going to have them spoonfed to you by mainstream radio (clear channel) at this point in time. You have to actively look for them. And to be honest with you, I prefer it that way. Artist are more accesable, shows at smaller more intimate venues. As a fan it is great not having to deal as much with the masses who only go to a show to get wasted and talk to there bros. Ive actually met and become good friends with members of two bands who are some of my favorites.
What I would suggest to anyone wanting to find out about new bands is go to your local record store...talk to them about the kind of music you like...they will open your eyes to all kinds of great stuff out there. Go see local bands, listen to a station like KEXP with an open mind and check out their website. There is so much good rock music out there guys, you just cant rely on your local clear channel affiliate to provide it to you.

And this, right here, is why rock is dying.

I have a 9-5 job, a fiancé, and a slew of things I'm committed to with friends, family and co-workers. The last thing I want to do is spend time researching new music to listen to. If someone recommends a band to me, I'll check them out. But I'm not going to wander into a record store and treat music like a term paper that needs to be researched.

Radio offered a way to discover new music. If the future of rock and roll is going to depend on people randomly showing up at shows or walking into an independent record mart, they ought to just shut the industry down entirely.

Larry Schuler
04-02-2012, 02:51 AM
If the future of rock and roll is going to depend on people randomly showing up at shows or walking into an independent record mart, they ought to just shut the industry down entirely.

My grand father never touched a message board nor did he have the time to learn how to use one. If interacting with other baseball fans means you have to learn how to use a computer box and buy a subscription to the internet wazoo, they should just shut down the MLB.

jwdoc77
04-02-2012, 08:30 AM

I have a 9-5 job, a fiancé, and a slew of things I'm committed to with friends, family and co-workers. The last thing I want to do is spend time researching new music to listen to. If someone recommends a band to me, I'll check them out. But I'm not going to wander into a record store and treat music like a term paper that needs to be researched.

Radio offered a way to discover new music. If the future of rock and roll is going to depend on people randomly showing up at shows or walking into an independent record mart, they ought to just shut the industry down entirely.

Just because you dont want to put in the time or effort doesnt mean something is dead. It sounds like you just happen to be a more casual music fan...one who needs to be spoonfed by the radio. Just like the more casual baseball fan who may need to be spoonfed by ESPN. And there is nothing wrong with that, you will just have to be satisfied with whatever Clear Channel decides they are putting on the radio because that is all you are exposing yourself to. Myself and alot of other people happen to enjoy discovering new music...I have never once thought of it as researching a term paper. I have a group of friends that we turn each other on to bands all the time. Facebook is a great source just by liking your local record store if the owner is into social media, I have learned of a lot of bands I enjoy that way. There are independent radio stations still out there turning people on to quality new music every day. I read message boards with a focus on music just like I do RedsZone for a focus on something else I enjoy, Baseball. If your too busy your too busy. Its not for you...but it is by no means dead.

jwdoc77
04-02-2012, 08:35 AM

Another thing...I would suggest Pandora for you. Go on there, type in the bands you like to a station...listen...and dont skip every song that isnt a song you already know. It will throw in some stuff you have never heard and may even introduce you to new bands you might like. That is as easy as it gets.

gonelong
04-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Rock is dead, they say,
Long live rock.

The Who, 1972

Caveat Emperor
04-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Just because you dont want to put in the time or effort doesnt mean something is dead. It sounds like you just happen to be a more casual music fan...one who needs to be spoonfed by the radio. Just like the more casual baseball fan who may need to be spoonfed by ESPN. And there is nothing wrong with that, you will just have to be satisfied with whatever Clear Channel decides they are putting on the radio because that is all you are exposing yourself to. Myself and alot of other people happen to enjoy discovering new music...I have never once thought of it as researching a term paper. I have a group of friends that we turn each other on to bands all the time. Facebook is a great source just by liking your local record store if the owner is into social media, I have learned of a lot of bands I enjoy that way. There are independent radio stations still out there turning people on to quality new music every day. I read message boards with a focus on music just like I do RedsZone for a focus on something else I enjoy, Baseball. If your too busy your too busy. Its not for you...but it is by no means dead.

You're missing my point -- if rock music becomes something that the average listener has to actively seek out (as opposed to it being "spoonfed," to use your term), it's going to regress into a completely niche state (like contemporary Jazz, for example).

The entire industry suffers at that point, IMO.

Spazzrico
04-02-2012, 02:23 PM
You're missing my point -- if rock music becomes something that the average listener has to actively seek out (as opposed to it being "spoonfed," to use your term), it's going to regress into a completely niche state (like contemporary Jazz, for example).

I personally don't think rock will ever by "niche" so to speak. Rock (loosely defined) as a musical form is inherently more palatable than Jazz (loosely defined). But I do certainly agree that "good" rock (what I being a music snob classify as good) as opposed to the crap that passes for rock most of the time on corporate pay-for-play radio has certainly become niche. Only rarely do we start to see it blink above the surface into mainstream consciousness (think Arcade Fire with The Suburbs or Mumford and Sons) usually through some sort of soundtrack on T.V. or award in the rare instance the Grammy's get it right. In short, I do also lament what has happened, but I'm at least happy that I can still find good music. I try to do my own bit by playing good music before class and then posting the song info to my course facebook page in case they heard something they liked.

Rojo
04-02-2012, 02:33 PM

One way to think about this: who now could sell out a stadium? who could sell out a stadium and is under 50?

I know "stadium rock" is synomous with "sell out" or corporate or whatever. But it is an indication of the health and popularity of a music genre. And most acts capable of selling out arenas (Stones, U2, Springsteen) do so for good reason. They're good.

fearofpopvol1
04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
One way to think about this: who now could sell out a stadium? who could sell out a stadium and is under 50?

I know "stadium rock" is synomous with "sell out" or corporate or whatever. But it is an indication of the health and popularity of a music genre. And most acts capable of selling out arenas (Stones, U2, Springsteen) do so for good reason. They're good.

Just to be clear...a stadium is much tougher to sell out than an arena. Most arenas are between 10,000 and 20,000 whereas most stadiums are at least 40,000 and go up to 100,000. There aren't too many bands alive anymore that can sell out stadiums.

There are still new-ish rock bands that can or are on the verge of being able to sell out arenas (although that is shrinking as well). Kings of Leon, Muse, Black Keys etc. I think more than anything, it just takes longer to get to the arena level. And as you said, you have to actually be good.

Roy Tucker
04-02-2012, 05:47 PM
When I was a huge rock fan, I had time to seek out the music. And that was long before the internet and blogs and all that. There was this thing called "word of mouth" and I'd go to record stores and clubs and talk to other people and that was also when Rolling Stone was still cool and a great source of info. I bought albums and invested in a great sound system and music was an integral part of my life.

But then, wife and kids happened, my career took off, my tastes diversified into other forms of music and other art forms, I got a little older, and rock ceased being a central part of my life. I suspect that has happened for the majority of my generation.

There is still good music out there. I listen to what my kids listen to and its interesting and their tastes range far and wide. But I maintain there really hasn't been anything new in the rock world for quite a while now. I listen to the new stuff and, at least to me, its a "what's old is new again" kind of thing. It's not bad, but rock as an art form and a life statement just isn't what it once was. At least to this old fart.

Rojo
04-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Just to be clear...a stadium is much tougher to sell out than an arena.

Yeah, it was a mistake to use them interchangeably.

pedro
04-02-2012, 07:22 PM

I listen to KEXP everyday online.

Great tip.

Larry Schuler
04-02-2012, 07:25 PM
The most interesting "rock" is trending towards being smaller and exploring niche sound landscapes. Big, arena "male chicken" rock doesn't quite fit with our current cultural zeitgeist. Kids are more technologically savvy and self-aware than ever before and the current model for cool is divided between commercial bling hop and "artistic" indie rock that snooty journalists like. Rap and hip hop is the new big dumb heavy beast. Rock has matured into some really cool places though but the channels for receiving it have changed.

jwdoc77
04-02-2012, 09:02 PM

Im not missing your point at all I dont think. I just think that your opinion that Rock is dead is wrong. I think what has happened is that the industry has transformed, which was touched on in a couple of posts. You could definitely go into a thesis worth of material as to why. But like Larry said above crappy hip hop and other things have been deemed what is going to be delivered to the masses at this point in time and I honestly think that this is one of the biggest mistakes (among many) that the larger recording companies and corporate radio have made.
But more than any other genre of music Rock had adapted the best to the current times we are in. The big recording companies may not be putting as much effort into developing rock bands like they used to, but look at what is happening with all these smaller record labels popping up everywhere putting out great quality music. Do it yourself, grassroots stuff that has a great honest quality to it. There are too many to name. Look at the resurgence in Vinyl sales over the last couple of years which is mainly tied to rock music. Look at the number of large festivals mainly all based in Rock music that we have now, there are new ones cropping up every year. Even when you look at the top grossing tours last year a good number are rock bands.
The music industry is an ever changing landscape...and I certainly agree with you that it sucks you cant just turn on the radio and hear good rock music like you used to in most cities in the US. Its a shame, but it is out there. Alive and well, with more variety, quality, and quantity than there ever has been, its just being delivered a little differently than it has been in the past.

gilpdawg
04-03-2012, 03:11 AM
Mainstream rock isn't dead, but it's very sick, mostly because all the known commodities are bland and not very good. Your Nickelback's of the world and the like. The underground is thriving, especially the metal scene, which is my scene. And, bonus, there's been a renaissance of older bands coming back with killer albums because the new blood has made the old guard hungry again.

Revering4Blue
05-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to put a new spin on the thread with a new weekly segment: R4B's Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week, consisting of two tracks that once, albeit briefly at times, were in heavy rotation on then-AOR stations, and rarely, if ever, get played anymore.

On to song #1:

Son Volt-Drown(1996)

To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about this New Orleans based band, except that this is about the only song from the band to receive any national airplay...and it rocks!

Son Volt - Drown - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mnczThKcHk)

Prism-Don't Let Him Know(1982)

This song, co-written by a then fledgling Rock Star, Bryan Adams, actually topped the Billboard Rock Tracks in late March of 1992. It has gone largely ignored since then, but should be instantly recognizable to those who listened to AOR stations back in the day.

Prism - Don't Let Him Know - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0MpUAgDME)

savafan
05-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Mainstream rock isn't dead, but it's very sick, mostly because all the known commodities are bland and not very good. Your Nickelback's of the world and the like. The underground is thriving, especially the metal scene, which is my scene. And, bonus, there's been a renaissance of older bands coming back with killer albums because the new blood has made the old guard hungry again.

My scene as well, and there are many great bands springing up in Europe that I've been able to find thanks to the internet, which has really revived my interest in music lately.

texasdave
05-04-2012, 06:19 PM
That Prism song is vaguely familiar. If I just heard the audio I would have guessed Asia or someone similar.

RedLegsToday
05-04-2012, 06:28 PM
who could sell out a stadium and is under 50?

Metallica (they don't start turning 50 until the end of this year) :D

Revering4Blue
05-12-2012, 06:13 PM
All-Star Rock Supergroups are the focus of this week's edition of R4B's Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week.

BBM-Waiting In The Wings(1994)

BBM was essentially Cream minus Eric Clapton, adding the late Gary Moore to the mix. Believe me, they rocked every bit as well with Moore. Their CD, titled Around The Next Dream was released in the Fall of 1994. If you are a fan of Cream and/or Gary Moore, it is well worth a listen. To my knowledge, this track was the only one to receive significant AOR airplay.

Waiting in the Wings-BBM - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Mqe7wRuvk)

The Firm-Live In Peace(1986)

When you combine the collective talents of Paul Rodgers and Jimmy Page, what's not to like? Well, except the Firm's signature song "Radioactive." I never cared for that one **running very fast** but really liked "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "All The Kings Horses."

But this, IMHO, masterpiece of a song tops them all, and is as fine of a performance by Rodgers as anything he was involved with, solo or with Bad Company. Also, Jimmy Page's guitar solo is as awesome as any he has performed since "Stairway To Heaven."

**Again, running very fast and dodging rotten tomatoes..

The Firm - Live in Peace - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZdmwd6n_Uk)

KittyDuran
05-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to put a new spin on the thread with a new weekly segment: R4B's Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week, consisting of two tracks that once, albeit briefly at times, were in heavy rotation on then-AOR stations, and rarely, if ever, get played anymore.

On to song #1:

Son Volt-Drown(1996)

To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about this New Orleans based band, except that this is about the only song from the band to receive any national airplay...and it rocks!

Son Volt - Drown - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mnczThKcHk)

Prism-Don't Let Him Know(1982)

This song, co-written by a then fledgling Rock Star, Bryan Adams, actually topped the Billboard Rock Tracks in late March of 1992. It has gone largely ignored since then, but should be instantly recognizable to those who listened to AOR stations back in the day.

Prism - Don't Let Him Know - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0MpUAgDME)

There is one song by Prism that I really like... Think it's called "Is He BetterThan Me?"

Revering4Blue
05-12-2012, 06:21 PM
There is one song by Prism that I really like... Think it's called "Is He BetterThan Me?"

That it is. Good call and good song.

Prism - Is He Better Than Me - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC3hbZq9nbo)

Orenda
05-13-2012, 01:39 PM
not quite sure if i like this song or not, but it's been on repeat for about an hour now...kinda catchy

Imagine Dragons - Radioactive - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-xFvLaE68)

improbus
05-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Rock hasn't changed, simply the method of finding music has changed. When I was in high school, the only conduits to new music were the radio and knowing that one kid in your high school whose brother worked at the college music store. By the time I entered college, CDNow replaced that system. You could find a band you liked, and go down an internet spiral into similar bands. And, to prove my point that music hasn't changed, there are a bunch of older artists who have become somewhat popular and known (see Big Star, Nick Drake). The internet has made no huge bands but no obscure bands either, it has simply granted access.

As for the title of this thread, there are still Album oriented rock groups:
Sufjan Stevens
The Flaming Lips

Yachtzee
05-15-2012, 11:06 AM
I think the problem with the notion of AOR has been come to be associated with Classic Rock, mainly because the radio stations that played that format never adapted to keep up with new trends in rock music. For example, the rock radio stations in Cleveland seemed to stop adding new music to their play lists the moment grunge came out. All the sudden, their format went from AOR to Classic Rock, almost as if it were an excuse not to have to play grunge. Of course, I'll give them a listen every once in a while and it seems now that they're trying to rectify that by working in newer artists, but unfortunately, by new they mean Nickelback.

Revering4Blue
05-18-2012, 09:03 PM
I think the problem with the notion of AOR has been come to be associated with Classic Rock, mainly because the radio stations that played that format never adapted to keep up with new trends in rock music. For example, the rock radio stations in Cleveland seemed to stop adding new music to their play lists the moment grunge came out. All the sudden, their format went from AOR to Classic Rock, almost as if it were an excuse not to have to play grunge. Of course, I'll give them a listen every once in a while and it seems now that they're trying to rectify that by working in newer artists, but unfortunately, by new they mean Nickelback.

Spot on. Also, the preponderance of Modern/Alternative Rock stations and Triple-A (Adult Album Alternative--A mixture of Non-Rap/Bubble Gum Pop, Rock, and Alternative) Stations contributed the demise of traditional AOR Radio.

Bob Marley and Stevie Wonder, who actually received quite a bit of AOR airplay before the advent of Disco, would be relegated to Triple-A Rock stations today.

Revering4Blue
05-18-2012, 09:40 PM
An iconic Metal band and a band named with a baseball term are spotlighted in this weeks edition of R4B's Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week.

Iron Maiden - Flight Of Icarus (1983)

British Heavy-Metal mainstays Iron Maiden developed a huge following even though most of their music did not receive substantial AOR airplay. This song, which peaked at #8 on Billboards Rock Tracks Chart in the summer of 1983, was an exception. The Trooper and Run To The Hills are other signature Iron Maiden songs.

flight of icarus - iron maiden - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8qDz7K1nbU)

Fastball - Fire Escape (1998)

Fastball's smash hit The Way was all over Top 40 Pop and AOR Radio circa Spring/Summer 1998. This follow-up tune flopped on Top 40 radio, but proved to be just as popular as The Way on AOR Radio. IMHO, this is the superior song of the two, but, if you have no recollection of it, feel free to determine that for yourself.

Fastball - Fire Escape - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbHNCdotltA)

Tony Cloninger
05-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Spot on. Also, the preponderance of Modern/Alternative Rock stations and Triple-A (Adult Album Alternative--A mixture of Non-Rap/Bubble Gum Pop, Rock, and Alternative) Stations contributed the demise of traditional AOR Radio.

Bob Marley and Stevie Wonder, who actually received quite a bit of AOR airplay before the advent of Disco, would be relegated to Triple-A Rock stations today.

They had a Classic Rock station here in LA until about 3-4 years ago.......that thought Billy Joel's "Piano Man" was rock or playing Classical Gas every other hour was cool..... while turning down their noses when they read aloud about how "Born in the USA" was #2 to......Prince? "Let's Go Crazy" which rocked way more than Bruce's song. BUt it was the stereotypical Rock is white guys playing it with a message.... BS. Instead of playing some good rock....it was rock that your parent's ...parent's would have said it was ok to listen to with you.

gilpdawg
05-19-2012, 02:52 AM
FWIW, I've always thought that the live version of that Maiden tune was the definitive version. The studio version is too plodding. The live version gives it new life. The legend goes that Bruce Dickinson and Steve Harris butted heads about that song because Harris thought it should be faster so they compromised by doing Steve's version live. I guess Bruce was vindicated, since the studio version was their only radio hit in the States.

Yachtzee
05-20-2012, 05:45 PM

Actually, I wish we had a decent Modern/Alternative Station around here in Northeast Ohio. Right now, the slot is filled by 88.9 WSTB, which is a high school station with weak transmitter, so you can only really get it in Northern Summit and Portage Counties. Meanwhile, we've got a numerous classic rock stations, plenty of pop, hip-hop, and country stations, a few adult contemporary and a couple of christian stations. Alternative music is shockingly absent from Cleveland radio, despite being the home to Alternative Press magazine and Northeast Ohio being the birthplace of new wave-alt rock acts such as Devo, The Waitresses, Nine Inch Nails, the Black Keys, Marilyn Manson, Pere Ubu, Filter, Mark Foster of Foster the People, and a number of other acts I'm sure I'm forgetting. Cleveland and Akron have produced so many talented musicians from schools like Oberlin and Kent State that Cleveland could have easily been the music mecca that cities like Seattle and Portland have become, but unfortunately, the general lack of support from Cleveland and Akron radio stations forced a lot of these bands to seek their fortunes in other cities. The rule here is that, unless you're Chrissy Hynde, Joe Walsh or local hero/one-hit wonder elsewhere Michael Stanley, Cleveland radio doesn't know you.

Yachtzee
05-20-2012, 05:56 PM
FWIW, I've always thought that the live version of that Maiden tune was the definitive version. The studio version is too plodding. The live version gives it new life. The legend goes that Bruce Dickinson and Steve Harris butted heads about that song because Harris thought it should be faster so they compromised by doing Steve's version live. I guess Bruce was vindicated, since the studio version was their only radio hit in the States.

I've always been a big fan of Iron Maiden and felt they don't really get their due when it comes to airplay on the radio. I often wondered if it was because people really misunderstood "The Number of the Beast" and felt they were too "satanic." I've always felt they were one of the more intellectual metal acts from the 1980s, much more interesting than popular hair bands like Motley Crue, Poison, Def Leppard and the like. But then again, maybe people just prefer songs about sex, booze and drugs rather than the story of Icarus and Daedelus, the Charge of the Light Brigade, the Doomsday Clock, European Colonization of America, the Battle of Britain, Edgar Allan Poe, and Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Revering4Blue
05-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I've always been a big fan of Iron Maiden and felt they don't really get their due when it comes to airplay on the radio. I often wondered if it was because people really misunderstood "The Number of the Beast" and felt they were too "satanic." I've always felt they were one of the more intellectual metal acts from the 1980s, much more interesting than popular hair bands like Motley Crue, Poison, Def Leppard and the like. But then again, maybe people just prefer songs about sex, booze and drugs rather than the story of Icarus and Daedelus, the Charge of the Light Brigade, the Doomsday Clock, European Colonization of America, the Battle of Britain, Edgar Allan Poe, and Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Unfortunately, I believe that many judged Iron Maiden unfairly based on the Album cover artwork. It is a shame.

As for airplay, I also recall Sanctuary and 2 Minutes To Midnight receiving significant airplay, as well. Surprisingly, Run To The Hills didn't chart on the Top Rock Tracks Chart at all, and no such chart existed when Sanctuary was released. The Wicker man clocked in at #19 and 2 Minutes to Midnight at #25.

marcshoe
05-21-2012, 01:01 PM

When I taught senior English a student brought in Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner and presented it to the class. Man, that's one long song.

gilpdawg
05-21-2012, 01:12 PM
When I taught senior English a student brought in Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner and presented it to the class. Man, that's one long song.

I did that too. Unless you were my senior English teacher. :)

marcshoe
05-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Maybe. Your profile says you were born on 78, so uou would have been 31 at the time. That sounds about right for some of my classes.

gilpdawg
05-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Maybe. Your profile says you were born on 78, so uou would have been 31 at the time. That sounds about right for some of my classes.

Now that's funny.

Yachtzee
05-22-2012, 12:59 PM

I think that's one of those songs a DJ might play if they needed a bathroom break. When I was a college DJ, our go-to song for bathroom breaks was the album version of the B-52's "Rock Lobster," clocking in at almost 7'. "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" would have given us time for a potty break, a snack and a smoke. But I didn't have the metal show.

We had a music class in middle school where Fridays were called "Music Appreciation Fridays." We were allowed to bring in our own music to play for the class. However, the teacher was a hard-core born-again Christian and forbade music from groups she deemed "satanic," which basically meant no heavy metal (she claimed metal bands used drum beats from African voodoo cults). Well, one of my classmates recorded Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills" over a Barry Manilow cassette to play in class. He explained how the lyrics of the song referred to the struggle between Native Americans and European Colonists without mentioning the name of the band or the album (the teacher just said she wasn't familiar with that Manilow song). When she played it, she started flipping out after a few seconds and yanked the plug to the cassette deck out of the wall. The whole class ended up having a talk with the principal, where everyone had to explain the song and the fact that Iron Maiden wasn't any more "satanic" than the people who made the Exorcist or authors like Edgar Allen Poe or Dante. Needless to say, that was the end of Music Appreciation Fridays.

Captain13
05-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Being born at the end of '74, I am too young to remember the golden age of AOR, you know AM radio. But the station that I would really like to hear, is one that would play anything "rock based". In my opinion, that could include pop, soul, heavy metal, classic rock, etc. Loosely, I believe rock based music is ampliphied and played with real instruments. It would include Prince, Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, Metallica, The White Stripes, Mumford and Son, Queen, Heart and many others. If I could create my own station it would be 20% current, 40% 2000-2011 and 40% everything else. Everything else would be mostly 1970-1999, but would include some of the better and more influencial bands from the 50's and 60's (ie Chuck Berry and The Beatles). I know a lot of young people would have trouble jumping genres and eras, but if this station was done correctly it would be very enjoyable and educational. I think at one point in the mid-80s WEBN may have been close to this format, but hair metal and then grunge changed everything.

Revering4Blue
05-27-2012, 04:57 PM
This week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week features radical departures in style from two exceptionally well known acts--though, the latter is a foray into traditional Rock from a 60's dance icon.

You'll not believe your ears.

Led Zeppelin - Hot Dog (1979)

As a 6th grader in the fall of '79, I remember how immensely popular the In Through The Out Door LP was. Little did we know that it would prove to be the band's last studio LP, as the unfortunate death of drummer John Bonham ultimately ended the band one year later.

While this song didn't receive as much AOR airplay as mainstays All My Love, Fool In The Rain or In The Evening--it still was in heavy rotation for a while. To say that this track is a change-of-pace is putting it mildly. It has a Country/Western feel to it and sounds like something straight out of a hoedown. Thus, it became sort of a cult favorite among Led Zep fans.

Led Zeppelin-Hot Dog - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um6eNkswv3g)

Chubby Checker - Harder Than Diamond (1982)

Yes, it is the Chubby Checker, the one who popularized the Twist dance craze in the '60s. This was his only foray into Mainstream Rock--well, what was considered Mainstream at the time--and IMHO, he didn't embarrass himself at all. I, of course, was surprised to find out, at the time, that it was, in fact, Chubby Checker. I still believe that if the artist had not been, icon that he was/is, associated with a totally different style of music, that this song would have received even more AOR Rock airplay than it did. Even though it obviously was a radical departure in style for Chubby Checker, it certainly wasn't a radical departure from Mainstream Radio Rock at the time.

Chubby Checker - Harder Than Diamond - Friday Live! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhV8rNzQEDU)

Revering4Blue
05-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Being born at the end of '74, I am too young to remember the golden age of AOR, you know AM radio. But the station that I would really like to hear, is one that would play anything "rock based". In my opinion, that could include pop, soul, heavy metal, classic rock, etc. Loosely, I believe rock based music is ampliphied and played with real instruments. It would include Prince, Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, Metallica, The White Stripes, Mumford and Son, Queen, Heart and many others. If I could create my own station it would be 20% current, 40% 2000-2011 and 40% everything else. Everything else would be mostly 1970-1999, but would include some of the better and more influencial bands from the 50's and 60's (ie Chuck Berry and The Beatles). I know a lot of young people would have trouble jumping genres and eras, but if this station was done correctly it would be very enjoyable and educational. I think at one point in the mid-80s WEBN may have been close to this format, but hair metal and then grunge changed everything.

Real Rock Variety....What a concept!:thumbup:

You make some really good points.

gilpdawg
05-28-2012, 02:07 PM
I don't like Hot Dog at all. I respect the fact that they tried something out of the box though.

camisadelgolf
05-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Music is as good as ever, but you might never know that. This is what happens when you let corporations take control. They're turning art into business, and music-listeners are the victims. Fight back.

Revering4Blue
06-02-2012, 04:32 PM
The first of this week's Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week is from a Band that needs no introduction at all.

Rush - Half The World (1996)

From the superb Test for Echo album, arguably the band's best of the '90s, this track peaked was heavily played in the fall of '96. Unfortunately, Rush's catalog from Hold Your Fire to today continues to be largely ignored by AOR and Classic Rock stations today. Fortunately, the band is set to release the Clockwork Angels CD any day now. The new song Headlong Flight is gaining airplay even on Active Rock stations. Translation: There may be hope for today's Rock radio after all.

Rush - Half The World - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe8r1o7roto)

Fastway - Say What You Will (1983)

If you do not recall this tune by title, more than likely, the catchy guitar riff will jar your memory. This British Hard Rock Band was considered Metal back in the day, but I wouldn't classify it as such today, at least from the standpoint of today's Active Rock Radio Metal, for two reasons:

1)It isn't monotone.

2)One can easily understand the lyrics.;)

Fastway - Say What You Will (Stereo) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5_oPyavUaw)

gilpdawg
06-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Counterparts is the best 90s Rush album. :p

gilpdawg
06-06-2012, 08:40 PM
As a followup on the Rush thing, I heard Clockwork Angels, and it rules. Pick it up Tuesday when it comes out officially.

Revering4Blue
06-10-2012, 12:23 PM
This week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week takes us back to the 70s. No Cable, internet, smart phones..well, you get the picture.

Fleetwood Mac - Hypnotized (1973)

I have to admit that I had plum forgotten about this Epic tune until it was mentioned in the thread about the unfortunate passing of Bob Welch. It really begs the question--as was stated in aforementioned thread-- of why the pre-Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac material is virtually ignored on Classic Rock/AOR radio today. It is criminal that Welch wasn't officially inducted into the RRHOF along with the other members of FWMac, as he was obviously an integral member of the band.

Fleetwood Mac - Hypnotized - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3SqYMgKhsk)

Michael Nesmith - Cruisin' (1979)

Better known as the "Lucy and Romona and Sunset Sam" song, Michael Nesmith's--yes, the former member of the Monkees--track was/is much better known as the original Music Video, which predates MTV, even though, at least, my local AOR station played the heck out of it well in to the '80s. I also recall it from the days of HBO's Video Jukebox between movies back in the day.

*****Warning*****

I wouldn't recommend this video for viewing by children. It doesn't contain profanity, and is considered, at least by me, mild by today's Prime Time TV standards. Still....

Anyway, the video is a hoot and I strongly advise not viewing it with a beverage, a it may wind up on your keyboard or screen/monitior.

Michael Nesmith - Cruisin' - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRWTz3zY1WY)

Revering4Blue
06-10-2012, 07:32 PM
This week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week takes us back to the 70s. No Cable, internet, smart phones..well, you get the picture.

Fleetwood Mac - Hypnotized (1973)

I have to admit that I had plum forgotten about this Epic tune until it was mentioned in the thread about the unfortunate passing of Bob Welch. It really begs the question--as was stated in aforementioned thread-- of why the pre-Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac material is virtually ignored on Classic Rock/AOR radio today. It is criminal that Welch wasn't officially inducted into the RRHOF along with the other members of FWMac, as he was obviously an integral member of the band.

Fleetwood Mac - Hypnotized - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3SqYMgKhsk)

Michael Nesmith - Cruisin' (1979)

Better known as the "Lucy and Romona and Sunset Sam" song, Michael Nesmith's--yes, the former member of the Monkees--track was/is much better known as the original Music Video, which predates MTV, even though, at least, my local AOR station played the heck out of it well in to the '80s. I also recall it from the days of HBO's Video Jukebox between movies back in the day.

*****Warning*****

I wouldn't recommend this video for viewing by children. It doesn't contain profanity, and is considered, at least by me, mild by today's Prime Time TV standards. Still....

Anyway, the video is a hoot and I strongly advise not viewing it with a beverage, as it may wind up on your keyboard or screen/monitior.

Michael Nesmith - Cruisin' - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRWTz3zY1WY)

mdccclxix
06-11-2012, 12:14 PM

Not to keep pimping KEXP, but that station has a good approach in the sense that there are shows that specialize in certain genre's and do little to no crossing over. There is a Reggae show, a Rockabilly show, a mid day current music show, etc. If you want AOR content from 80's and 90's rock, there could be a whole show like that, as it seems like the loosely defined genre in this thread. I think on XM there's a channel called Deep Tracks. I tried it and often though, gosh, I don't really like this guy's top tracks, nor definitely do I like his B tracks either...not always the case though.

It seems to me nowadays that finding an artist's lead tracks is still a great way to enter into the albums other tracks that have worth but wouldn't get the radio airplay, now or in the past. Today's radio doesn't even find the good lead tracks (or singles) from new or semi new artists. That's a "problem". And while there are great singles that have been forgotten, finding their appeal to a greater audience may be a tougher challenge than a music lover would expect. It takes a great DJ and the right market. Today, at least, Rock music is closer to the ground and through non-radio formats (downloads, CDs, podcasts) is able to find those niche markets and somewhat flourish.

The prospect of the i-pod-ification of radio isn't appealing to me, either. I have little interest in hearing, essentially, someone's i pod on shuffle, because pretty often I don't like a good portion of their i pod list. This goes for about anyone's i pod list I'd imagine, even my own! Going from Beatles to Rush to Dinosaur Jr. may be chronological, and look good on paper, but it may also be an auditory kick in the nuts. I don't know what that means, but basically it's bad. The eclecticism of an i pod on shuffle can be a very good thing or a very bad thing. In general, I dislike it for the way it flattens the landscape and has ruined the album format in every genre out there.

Perhaps the overall cause for so much music that get's "left out" is that now there are so many sub genre's to Rock, which is now in it's 7th DECADE.

Basically, on the radio it comes down to finding a DJ you like and trust. I can sit through some stuff I don't like, as long as it's pretty closely related to a theme woven by the DJ. You can either hit shuffle and walk away, calling it "Musical Offerings From Planet Earth Between 1400-2012" or you have to dig in and define what you are offering pretty explicitly. I think doing that leads to greater appreciation by the listener. Whether or not that niche is viable for mass consumption (terrestrial radio) is questionable, especially if you believe the market will demand what is worthwhile. And even many of the niche listeners nowadays demand a broad variety of genre's, so they're likely less loyal anyway. Ha, no easy solution.

Rock may not be dead, but it's days as the preferred niche musical genre for terrestrial radio is over. Frankly, even the new rock that comes out, that I love, isn't THAT appealing (or new as Roy Tucker brings up) so as to warrant top billing on candy pop radio. One element I find missing from new music of many formerly popular genre's is un-ironic love songs. Nobody's got a broken heart anymore, that's for suckers. But the whole classic rock genre was about love, romance, sex, man and a woman, relationships, infidelity, etc. If you see what's popular today, it's R&B and Country that have outlasted rock. Those songs are still about that stuff. Rock, not hardly at all. Except Nickleback. Seriously.

Outrider
06-11-2012, 01:31 PM
My long time friend has worked for numerous radio stations that have all been bought out by Clearchannel. CC eliminated all of the human help they could and computerized everything. My friend's job is eliminated at the end of the week. They're going to the cheapest way they can reach a mass market in the shortest time. They're doing this with music acts too. When my wife and I heard the new Pepsi commercial with Minaj, we both thought it was Rihanna until we turned around and saw it. So many of these new people all sound exactly the same. There is no identity to many of them now.

Orenda
06-15-2012, 10:00 PM
this one's not on record...

J.J. Cale - King City (rare) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbEojd0xzOA)

gilpdawg
06-16-2012, 04:42 AM
Does anybody here listen to Class X 88.9? I don't know how the signal is around there or how far it gets because I listen online, but it's quite off the beaten path for FM Radio.

Revering4Blue
06-16-2012, 05:10 PM
this one's not on record...

J.J. Cale - King City (rare) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbEojd0xzOA)

Good tune.

J.J Cale and Russ Ballard are alike in the fact that they are both better known for writing well-known songs that other artists performed. Examples: Cocaine: Eric Clapton and Since You've Been Gone: Head East and Rainbow.

But their own versions of popular songs, and their entire body of work--well known or not--are also very good.

Revering4Blue
06-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Does anybody here listen to Class X 88.9? I don't know how the signal is around there or how far it gets because I listen online, but it's quite off the beaten path for FM Radio.

Now that's what I call an AOR Station. What a playlist!

Quality newer Rock, all of the Classic Rock we know and love with deeper cuts than the average Classic Rock station today. Exactly the type of station I was looking for.

BTW, I also checked out KEXP and liked what I heard from the Rock end of things.

Revering4Blue
06-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Our first entry in this week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week is from a band that experienced great success with several tracks on Rock radio during the "aughts" with surprisingly little fanfare. Best known for the 2004 Pop/Rock hit The Reason--which was a radical departure in style for this Alternative Metal band--the band Hoobastank produced a much harder-edged sound than their only Pop hit. I chose this track because it is the one that started it all for them, and it is, IMHO, their signature song.

Hoobastank--Crawling In The Dark (2001)

hoobastank- crawling in the dark - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qgRE_9cwKI)

Touch--Don't You Know what Love Is? (1980)

This is simply an awesome lost Melodic Rock Track, which was once in heavy rotation on AOR stations. While many recall the song, few can recall the artist. It sounds like a cross between Survivor and Jefferson Starship.

Touch - Don't You Know What Love Is - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9de_etZ_tMg)

gilpdawg
06-19-2012, 02:33 AM
I'm going to post one...because I love this song so much it deserves to be heard. If classic rock bands still got radio play with new material in 1996 this song could have been a hit. I believe that. It's probably my favorite song ever by this band. And if you like this song...check out the album Purpendicular. Steve Morse on guitar, not Blackmore. Doesn't matter. Fantastic record.

Deep Purple-Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming

Sometimes I feel like screaming Deep Purple - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sg0wWdo2HU)

cinredsfan2000
06-20-2012, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=gilpdawg;2633653]I'm going to post one...because I love this song so much it deserves to be heard. If classic rock bands still got radio play with new material in 1996 this song could have been a hit. I believe that. It's probably my favorite song ever by this band. And if you like this song...check out the album Purpendicular. Steve Morse on guitar, not Blackmore. Doesn't matter. Fantastic record.

Just doesnt feel like purple to me without Blackmore:dunno: . Morse is a great guitar player but i just cant get get into purple w/o blackmore.

Captain13
06-21-2012, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=gilpdawg;2633653]I'm going to post one...because I love this song so much it deserves to be heard. If classic rock bands still got radio play with new material in 1996 this song could have been a hit. I believe that. It's probably my favorite song ever by this band. And if you like this song...check out the album Purpendicular. Steve Morse on guitar, not Blackmore. Doesn't matter. Fantastic record.

Just doesnt feel like purple to me without Blackmore:dunno: . Morse is a great guitar player but i just cant get get into purple w/o blackmore.

It isn't the same, but that doesn't make it bad. Rainbow wasn't Purple, but it was good music. The Dio Years weren't what I call Black Sabbath, but I liked 'em. I guess my point is, regardless of band names, good music is good music (and bad music should be punishable by death).

cinredsfan2000
06-21-2012, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=cinredsfan2000;2635814]

It isn't the same, but that doesn't make it bad. Rainbow wasn't Purple, but it was good music. The Dio Years weren't what I call Black Sabbath, but I liked 'em. I guess my point is, regardless of band names, good music is good music (and bad music should be punishable by death).

Oh i agree But i guess im just a blackmore homer more than anything. Rainbow Rising was basically the 1st hard rock record i fell in love with and Blackmores sound .That instantly turned me into a fan and had me wanting to buy a white fender stratacastor and learn to play . I like Steve morse with the dregs and some of his solo stuff .

gilpdawg
06-22-2012, 03:30 AM
[QUOTE=Captain13;2636354]

Oh i agree But i guess im just a blackmore homer more than anything. Rainbow Rising was basically the 1st hard rock record i fell in love with and Blackmores sound .That instantly turned me into a fan and had me wanting to buy a white fender stratacastor and learn to play . I like Steve morse with the dregs and some of his solo stuff .

Stargazer is, like, the best song ever.

Revering4Blue
06-23-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm going to post one...because I love this song so much it deserves to be heard. If classic rock bands still got radio play with new material in 1996 this song could have been a hit. I believe that. It's probably my favorite song ever by this band. And if you like this song...check out the album Purpendicular. Steve Morse on guitar, not Blackmore. Doesn't matter. Fantastic record.

Sometimes I feel like screaming Deep Purple - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sg0wWdo2HU)

Props for posting this.

I'm almost positive that I've heard this on Rock Radio before, most likely in a Deep Purple Rock Block or as the tail-end of a Deep Purple two-fer, but I'm positive that I've heard it before. I sampled all of the songs from Purpendicular on Allmusicguide.com, and this sounds like an awesome album.

If this album had been released within the past five years to little fanfare/airplay, I wouldn't have been surprised due to the style of Active Rock/Metal which constitutes most current Rock airplay on commercial Rock Radio today.

But in 1996, Classic Rock bands were still receiving airplay with new material. This definitely should have received more than it did.

Revering4Blue
06-23-2012, 10:12 PM
As we begin another edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week, I'd like to thank all who have contributed links to songs and Radio stations and for contributing to a lively discussion about the state of AOR radio. I highly doubt that we will run out of material, but there is a good chance that Class X radio, with it's extensive playlist, will render this thread obsolete. But until such time, :rockband:

Genesis - Driving The Last Spike (1992)

While Genesis received some justifiable flack from long fans for kissing the tush of commercial pop radio with the Invisible Touch and, to a lesser extent, We Can't Dance albums, there are some really good Rock Radio only/no Pop Radio airplay songs on both albums.

Cases in point:

Anything She Does and Domino-Parts I and II from Invisible Touch and this gem from We Can't Dance. This proved to be the swan song for Genesis with Phil Collins as a member, and they went out with a bang.

Genesis - Driving the last spike (1991) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHGqGmzzQaY)

ELO - Four Little Diamonds (1983)

This long-forgotten track, which was the follow-up to Pop/Rock hit Rock And Roll Is King from the Secret Messages album, received considerably more AOR airplay than Top 40 pop airplay. So it shouldn't come a shock to anyone that I feel that this track is far superior to the more well-known hit Rock And Roll Is King.

This is as hook-laden as any ELO track, and, thus, deserves to be re-discovered, for lack of a better phrase.

One more question:

Why isn't ELO the band in the Rock And Roll hall of fame already?

ELO Four Little Diamonds - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEPcC2JBZDo&feature=related)

Revering4Blue
07-02-2012, 09:14 PM
On this day in 1979, Neil Young released his Rust Never Sleeps LP, so it's only appropriate for me to open this week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week with a track from the aforementioned Album.

Neil Young--Powderfinger (1979)

This was one of three tracks from this LP to receive significant AOR airplay--"My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) and "Pocahontas" the others--and I can safely say this my favorite Neil Young track, period, regardless of LP.

Interesting fact: Young recorded a solo acoustic version of "Powderfinger" in September 1975 (never officially released), and later sent the tape to his friend Ronnie Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd who were to use the song on their next album. However, Van Zant died in a plane crash in October 1977, and Lynyrd Skynyrd never recorded the song.

Simply put, this an awesome lost track.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Powderfinger - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2-Wp7D7BVk&feature=related)

Glass Tiger--I'm Still Searching (1988)

Yeah, I have a pretty good idea of what some of you are thinking.

Glass Tiger? Weren't they a one-hit-wonder? I'm certain that they never were played on AOR Radio.

Well, you would be wrong on both counts.

Aside from Don't Forget When I'm Gone, they hit the Pop Top 40 with Someday, I Will Be There, and this track, with the light Pop song Someday, which didn't fit Rock radio at all, being the only one of the four to not reach the Top 25 on Billboards Rock Tracks chart.

This track--I'm Still Searching--actually climbed as high as #12 on the top Rock Tracks chart in the Spring of '88, and I liked it the first time I heard it, following a collective "meh" from me regarding the first three radio hits from the group. But it seems, at least to me, as though I'm the only one who remembers it.

Prove me wrong, Redzone.:)

Have a Happy 4th, fellow Redzoners!

glass tiger - I'm Still Searching - Diamond Sun- YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W8nIemU504)

cinredsfan2000
07-02-2012, 09:24 PM
On this day in 1979, Neil Young released his Rust Never Sleeps LP, so it's only appropriate for me to open this week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week with a track from the aforementioned Album.

Neil Young--Powderfinger (1979)

Simply put, this an awesome lost track.
I agree one of my top 3 Neil songs i also liked the version on Weld live disc.

Revering4Blue
07-08-2012, 01:58 PM
The Eagles--King Of Hollywood (1980)

From the Fall of '79 throughout the Summer of '80, virtually every track from the Eagles LP The Long Run received significant AOR airplay. This Lost Rock Track Of The Week--a very graphical look at the exploitation of young women in the Movie industry--was no exception.

Unfortunately, it took a back seat to the many smash pop/rock hits on the LP, largely because it had no pop/top 40 crossover appeal at all.

IMHO, this is the finest Eagles track ever, which is saying something.

King of Hollywood-The Eagles - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNiLM12K8mw)

Off Broadway--Stay In Time (1980)

Speaking of pop/top 40 appeal, this catchy track had it, but failed to reach the pop top 40. AOR radio listeners ate it up, however.

This instantly recognizable track--I know, I say that every week--was/is often mistaken for a Cheap Trick song. IMHO, this band/track deserved a similar fate as Robin Zander and the boys. Nevertheless, this Oak Park, Illinois band is actually working on an updated version of the song for a 2112 release.

Off Broadway usa - Stay In Time - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJOTXWoeIew&feature=related)

gilpdawg
07-08-2012, 02:44 PM
What a coincidence that I just heard that Eagles song for the first time in a long time the other day. It's great. I'm actually not a huge Eagles fan, but The Long Run is probably my favorite album of theirs. I love "In The City." (which most people don't know was a Walsh solo track from the movie Warriors re-recorded)

Unassisted
07-08-2012, 05:51 PM
My long time friend has worked for numerous radio stations that have all been bought out by Clearchannel. CC eliminated all of the human help they could and computerized everything. My friend's job is eliminated at the end of the week. They're going to the cheapest way they can reach a mass market in the shortest time.
You can't point the finger of blame at Clear Channel without also paying attention to a larger trend in the radio industry of measuring audiences with Portable People Meters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_People_Meter), instead of depending on the listeners in the sample to note their listening in diaries. By measuring listening down to the second, people meters are proving that people tune in to listen to music, not personalities. That's the #1 reason why announcerless stations are gaining popularity... they measure better in this ratings environment. The stations with the highest ratings (in the target demographics) make more money from selling ads and that's the #1 goal at every commercial station.

Revering4Blue
07-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Joe Walsh--The Confessor (1985)

Okay, I'll admit that this track remains somewhat popular with AOR fans and may not fully qualify as a Lost Track.

But, lets be honest--other than tracks from his latest Analog Man, Walsh's 80's and 90's material, All Night Long the exception, remains largely ignored on even Classic Rock radio today. The James Gang material, Rocky Mountain Way and Life's Been Good are overplayed, at least that is how I see it. The Confessor still remains the definitive Walsh track to me.

Joe Walsh - The Confessor - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3XSI_xwvss)

Dave Edmunds--Slipping Away (1983)

Yet another track which, even though it was catchy enough for Pop/Top 40 Radio, surprisingly barely scraped the Pop Top 40 and once upon a time was in very heavy rotation on AOR Radio and on MTV. Then again, when the top pop song of the time period was none other than Puttin' On the Ritz by Taco, how can one compete with that?:rolleyes:

Anyway, this track sounds as if it could have been an ELO track. That is because Jeff Lynne produced this album titled Information and the next Dave Edmunds album titled Riff Raff. Needless to say, both albums Rock. In conclusion, I'll just state that I'm fairly certain that this track would not have been nearly as good as an ELO song without Dave Edmunds on guitar and providing vocals. Then again, I've always believed that Dave Edmunds was/is severely underrated as an artist, so I may be a little bit biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&NR=1&v=aEr5HWdRhRY

Adieu from R4Blue.

Captain13
07-16-2012, 09:38 AM
The Confessor is an awesome song, too bad the rest of the album was not up to par. So far as AOR goes, I like the entire Ordinary Average Guy album (with the title track being one of my least favorite songs on the album).

marcshoe
07-16-2012, 03:25 PM
I have Slipping Away on rotation right now. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that this was the first music Lynne produced for another artist.

gilpdawg
07-16-2012, 10:11 PM
RIP Jon Lord.

Revering4Blue
07-16-2012, 10:22 PM
RIP Jon Lord.

:(

Rock musicians including Yes’ Rick Wakeman, Rage Against the Machine’s Tom Morello and members of Deep Purple-influenced bands such as Anthrax and Iron Maiden all lamented Lord’s passing, with Morello tweeting: "RIP the great Jon Lord, Deep Purple's cornerstone/keyboardist. So many great great songs and that incredible SOUND of his! Thankyou."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-deep-purple-keyboardist-jon-lord-dies-20120716,0,931703.story

Revering4Blue
07-21-2012, 06:46 PM
I certainly didn't plan to feature two Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week from the same year, let alone the same season of the year. Nevertheless, two tracks from the Summer of '82 are featured this week--both by, IMHO, two criminally underrated bands.

April Wine--If You See Kay (1982)

From the Power Play album, this track and Enough Is Enough--another awesome track--were both in heavy AOR rotation during said Summer. I feel that the aforementioned tracks and All Over Town from 1981's The Nature Of The Beast are/were their best AOR radio tracks.

This chorus of this track raised a lot of eyebrows because it sounds as if the band is slowly spelling a, ahem, certain word that never would have passed the censors. Coincidence? I love this track and band. Well worth a listen.

April Wine - If You See Kay - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWEYqk5zrlw)

Shooting Star--Breakout (1982)

This Kansas City-based band was an early 80's fixture on AOR radio with several tracks from a handful of LPs receiving significant airplay. I hate to appear lazy, but a Google/Wikipedia search will provide you with more AOR radio tracks than I can list here.

This track, from the album Hang On For Your Life was/is particularly memorable to me. Not to mention, it kicks total, well, you know what.;)

Shooting Star - Breakout - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSXQFt64onE)

I hope that you enjoy these tracks.

Adieu from R4Blue.

_Sir_Charles_
07-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Why isn't ELO the band in the Rock And Roll hall of fame already?

Excellent question. I simply assumed they already were in there. Kinda shocking considering the number of hits Jeff Lynne and crew put together.

camisadelgolf
07-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Yup. ELO had 19 top-40 hits over 15 years, and they're definitely considered one of the biggest RnR HoF snubs. The Cure is the biggest snub imho.

redsfanmia
07-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Yup. ELO had 19 top-40 hits over 15 years, and they're definitely considered one of the biggest RnR HoF snubs. The Cure is the biggest snub imho.

What about Rush and Kiss?

Revering4Blue
07-21-2012, 09:42 PM
ELO, The Cure, Rush, Kiss and Heart are the biggest snubs off of the top of my head. Bad Company, as well.

I'm not suggesting that they are undeserving, but, IMHO, there is no way that the Beastie Boys should have been inducted before any of the aforementioned bands.

camisadelgolf
07-21-2012, 09:55 PM
What about Rush and Kiss?
Based on their merits, they both deserve it. Kiss is a great live show but write terrible songs. People love them anyway though.

Revering4Blue
07-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Based on their merits, they both deserve it. Kiss is a great live show but write terrible songs. People love them anyway though.

I concur regarding Kiss. Hard Luck Woman is the only Kiss song that I'll go out of my way to listen to. Of course, Rock Stations continue to act as if it never existed whilst playing Detroit Rock City and Lick It Up to the point of nausea.

gilpdawg
07-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Yes indeed. Kiss is bloody horrible, but they've also had a big influence on stage shows and such. Now Rush is the best band ever, and any HOF that doesn't include them is an absolute joke.

Revering4Blue
07-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Yes indeed. Kiss is bloody horrible, but they've also had a big influence on stage shows and such. Now Rush is the best band ever, and any HOF that doesn't include them is an absolute joke.

:beerme:

While we are discussing RRHOF snubs, here are more notable snubs.

Deep Purple, Yes, Dire Straits, Linda Rondstadt, the Guess Who, Thin Lizzy, Peter Frampton, Three Dog Night, Poco, The Moody Blues, KISS, John Denver, Journey, The Fifth Dimension, Iron Maiden, Johnny Rivers, Rush, Dan Fogelberg, Mott the Hoople, Lionel Richie, Joe Cocker, Heart, Dionne Warwick, Gram Parsons, Chic, The Cure, Moby Grape, Barry White, Procol Harum, The Association, Boston, Charlie Daniels, Blood, Sweat & Tears, The Hollies, Megadeath, Cheap Trick, Little Feat, The Monkees, Grand Funk Railroad, The Doobie Brothers, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Jethro Tull, Cat Stevens, Billy Idol, Steppenwolf, Bon Jovi, Gram Parsons, America, Donna Summer, Steve Miller, Edgar Winter, Fairport Convention, Foreigner, Peter, Paul and Mary, Bad Company, Spirit, Herman’s Hermits, Humble Pie, J. Geils Band, New Order, The Spinners, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Baez, REO Speedwagon, Tower of Power, Arlo Guthrie, Joe Jackson, John Mayall, The Buckinghams, The Turtles, The Cars, Johnny Winter, Kraftwerk, Kool & the Gang, Kenny Loggins, Loggins & Messina, Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, Judas Priest, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Chaka Khan, Spencer Davis Group, The Stylistics, Styx, Tommy James & the Shondells, Warren Zevon, Ted Nugent, Hall & Oates

Granted the RRHOF obviously includes artists that AOR stations never played, but this is an overall accurate list.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/12/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-sucks.html

The Beastie Boys and Laura Nyro are in, but Chicago and KISS are out?! No way, writes journalist/musician Jamie Reno.

Dom Heffner
07-21-2012, 11:01 PM

KISS is one of those bamds whose sum is definitely less than their parts. Some great stuff, just not enough of it to say they belong to the hall.

They are one of my favorite bands but when you look at the material, it isn't that great.

Dom Heffner
07-21-2012, 11:02 PM
If Hall and Oates don't get in, something is pretty wrong.

Revering4Blue
07-21-2012, 11:29 PM

You'll get no argument from me, Dom.

As an aside, much like Poco, Kenny Loggins and the late Dan Fogelberg, Hall and Oates, IMHO, have been unfairly pigeonholed as Pop artists only. When, in reality, all of the aforementioned artists have had a much larger impact on AOR radio than most realize.

marcshoe
07-22-2012, 10:49 PM
I've campaigned far and wide for ELO for years, and was a bit shocked when I realized Hall and Oates weren't in. I think The Rolling Stone has always had some animosity toward ELO because of their pioneering work in enhancing their concerts with recorded music, which was pretty controversial back in the day, and RS seems to have a pretty big say in the Hall.

Rojo
07-23-2012, 04:26 PM

One of my jukebox favorites. The problem with Hall and Oates is they reached their chart zenith was some schmaltzy hits: Kiss on my List, You Make My Dreams, Private Eyes. But She's Gone, Say It Isn't So, Rich Girl, Maneater..... the good stuff outweighs the bad.

Revering4Blue
07-23-2012, 04:46 PM
She's Gone, specifically, the LP version from Abandoned Luncheonette remains the definitive H&O track, IMHO.

Fun fact: She's Gone didn't become a smash pop hit until two years after it was initially released. Of course, AOR stations were playing it when it was first released.

texasdave
07-23-2012, 04:50 PM
What does H&O track mean? Doh! Nevermind. Hall & Oates. Don't ever grow old. =)

Revering4Blue
07-23-2012, 04:50 PM
I'll throw a few more names out for future RRHOF consideration:

Pat Benatar.

Robert Palmer.

Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Revering4Blue
07-23-2012, 04:54 PM
What does H&O track mean?

Hall and Oates.

I should have left a space between the letters and the "&"

It won't happen again. :fineprint:

texasdave
07-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Blue Oyster Cult. The Replacements. Two of my favorite bands.

Revering4Blue
07-24-2012, 01:49 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Blue Oyster Cult eventually inducted, as the credentials are certainly there.

As for The Replacements, I view them as I view The Call.

Both were critically acclaimed bands with quality material, but for some reason the public--even AOR fans of the era--never seemed to fully embrace them even though both were not exactly flops on AOR radio, either.

I was actually going to feature a track by The Replacements in a future Lost Tracks segment, but, what the heck? Here's a bonus.

The Replacements--I'll Be You (1989)

This track climbed to the top of Billboards Top Rock tracks in the Spring of '89.
Why was this wasn't a correspondingly smash Pop hit, I'll never understand. This band's entire catalog is well worth checking out.

The Replacements - I'll Be You - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Zf_rYqYCw)

texasdave
07-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Favorite Replacements song is Johnny's Gonna Die.

The Replacements- Johnny's gonna die - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plbP0PJ3x18)

After the band's breakup Tommy Stinson fronted a group called Bash and Pop. Here's a sample.

Bash & Pop - Friday Night (Is Killing Me) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-3DsNrkjdo)

texasdave
07-24-2012, 05:13 PM

I'd throw Golden Earring into the mix. Love that group.

redsfanmia
07-24-2012, 07:02 PM
I'd throw Golden Earring into the mix. Love that group.

I love Westerberg's solo stuff, 14 Songs is one of my favorite albums.

Joseph
07-24-2012, 08:09 PM

It is a fantastic album, definitely one of my 'ten on a desert island' records.

gilpdawg
07-24-2012, 08:33 PM
I love the early BOC pre-hits. On Your Feet Or On Your Knees is a raging live record.

Rojo
07-24-2012, 08:41 PM

Pat Benatar.

Robert Palmer.

Stevie Ray Vaughan.

T-Rex.

westofyou
07-24-2012, 08:51 PM

Lord yes.... anything by the man

Revering4Blue
07-26-2012, 07:11 PM
T-Rex.

Good call. Another glaring omission.

They are mentioned in this article.

Unwanted -- Dead or Alive: The Rock Hall’s Top 25 Snubs

T. Rex

Marc Bolan & Company were instrumental in the development of glam rock in the 1970s. Bowie got his Rock Hall due. Give T. Rex its props, too.

And look who else is mentioned.

The Replacements

Post-punk poets from Minneapolis blazed the trail for every alternative-rock band to come along since. Gets my vote on the strength of "Here Comes a Regular" alone.

http://www.cleveland.com/music/index.ssf/2010/12/rock_and_roll_hall_of_fame_snu.html

OTOH, it's difficult to take any article seriously that suggests that Joan Jett And The Blackhearts are even remotely close to RRHOF material.

Dom Heffner
07-26-2012, 08:53 PM
One of my jukebox favorites. The problem with Hall and Oates is they reached their chart zenith was some schmaltzy hits: Kiss on my List, You Make My Dreams, Private Eyes. But She's Gone, Say It Isn't So, Rich Girl, Maneater..... the good stuff outweighs the bad.

Wait for Me, the live version, is one of my favorites.

Daryl Hall's voice is a treasure. Never sang two refrains the same. Just great.

Dom Heffner
07-26-2012, 08:54 PM

Pat Benatar.

Robert Palmer.

Stevie Ray Vaughan.

I love Pat Benatar.

RichRed
07-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Wait for Me, the live version, is one of my favorites.

Daryl Hall's voice is a treasure. Never sang two refrains the same. Just great.

Anyone checked out any of the "Live from Daryl's House" sessions? Some quality stuff on there.

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/

Dom Heffner
07-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Anyone checked out any of the "Live from Daryl's House" sessions? Some quality stuff on there.

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/

I like the one with Rob Thomas.

redsfanmia
07-28-2012, 07:52 PM
:beerme:

While we are discussing RRHOF snubs, here are more notable snubs.

Granted the RRHOF obviously includes artists that AOR stations never played, but this is an overall accurate list.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/12/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-sucks.html

The Beastie Boys and Laura Nyro are in, but Chicago and KISS are out?! No way, writes journalist/musician Jamie Reno.

Supertramp?

Revering4Blue
07-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Supertramp?

Heck yes! They should have been inducted long ago.

redsfanmia
07-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Badfinger?

Revering4Blue
07-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Webb Wilder--Tough It Out (1992)

We begin this week's edition of Lost Tracks Of The Week with another very likely "I've heard that song before, but I never knew the title or artist" track.

This one is a hybrid rockabilly/straight ahead rocker. And the result was an AOR hit, albeit the only one Webb Wilder ever had. But from everything I've heard, he still enjoys a loyal following and puts on one heck of a live show.

I like this one a lot. Crank it up!

Webb Wilder - Tough it Out - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlkaxyYDBI8)

Martin Briley--Salt In My Tears (1983)

This awesome track--one of the best breakup songs ever--dates back to MTV's heyday. It serves as a reminder of the days when MTV not only played music videos, but served as a Top 40 Pop/AOR station all in one. And this track received airplay on both formats, though significantly more--what else is new?--on AOR radio.

Martin Briley also received moderate AOR airplay with the title track of his 1985 LP Dangerous Moments, but that was about it for him radio wise. Did I mention that this track is awesome?

The Salt in my Tears by Martin Briley (1983) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1cHCCLbleU)

As always, Rock On, Redzoners!

Adieu from R4Blue.

Revering4Blue
07-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Badfinger?

Another good call. The amount of RRHOF snubs are ridiculous.

marcshoe
07-28-2012, 09:15 PM
I actually heard Webb Wilder perform in 1992. Good choice.

Captain13
08-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Another good call. The amount of RRHOF snubs are ridiculous.

Although, I agree there are several (maybe ten or fifteen) complete snubs, we cant let everyone who had a great song or one amazing album in RRHOF. It shouldn't be a place for one hit wonders and short lived successes.

I know I will probably get lambasted for this but I am not sure that GNR or The Faces belong in.

The Faces only did 4 albums, like 30 songs total. Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck are both HOFs and deservedly so, but I don't know about The Faces.

GNR. Here is a tough one for me. I am/was their target audience. Appetite For Destruction is, IMO, one of the 10 greatest rock albums ever. Lies is OK at best. Use Your Illusion I and II are both very very good. The Speghetti Incident is a bad cover record and The Chinese Democracy is irrelavent (and not really GNR more of an Axl solo record). So, you have one outstanding record, one (or two depending on how you count Use Your Illusion) very good albums and three more albums that add up to very little. The name GNR has been out over 25 years now and they have put out a total of five albums (six if you count Illusion twice). Is that HOF worthy? I know they are in, but I'm asking.

On the other hand, Rush. I would take time to type out an argument for Rush being in, but I'm just going to say "Geddy+Niel+Alex=Rush=Awesome"

KittyDuran
08-06-2012, 02:09 PM

KittyDuran agrees w/The Cure snub. She's OK with the others getting the snub however knowing that more than a few were more pop than rock and also that she's has more of an emotional ties with many, i.e., The Monkees and Duran Duran (D2 was not on that list and I think they qualify). KD will also mention another reason for some of the snubs... Three words "Rolling Stone Magazine". Don't know if their influence is still there but it was early on if KD remembers correctly. So if certain artists were "whipping boys" of RS then sorry, no HOF for you!

Revering4Blue
08-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Although, I agree there are several (maybe ten or fifteen) complete snubs, we cant let everyone who had a great song or one amazing album in RRHOF. It shouldn't be a place for one hit wonders and short lived successes.

I know I will probably get lambasted for this but I am not sure that GNR or The Faces belong in.

The Faces only did 4 albums, like 30 songs total. Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck are both HOFs and deservedly so, but I don't know about The Faces.

GNR. Here is a tough one for me. I am/was their target audience. Appetite For Destruction is, IMO, one of the 10 greatest rock albums ever. Lies is OK at best. Use Your Illusion I and II are both very very good. The Speghetti Incident is a bad cover record and The Chinese Democracy is irrelavent (and not really GNR more of an Axl solo record). So, you have one outstanding record, one (or two depending on how you count Use Your Illusion) very good albums and three more albums that add up to very little. The name GNR has been out over 25 years now and they have put out a total of five albums (six if you count Illusion twice). Is that HOF worthy? I know they are in, but I'm asking.

On the other hand, Rush. I would take time to type out an argument for Rush being in, but I'm just going to say "Geddy+Niel+Alex=Rush=Awesome"

I'll agree with the Faces as a questionable HOF pick.

Regarding, GNR, they also have to their credit at least four AOR hits from movie soundtracks and Various Artists CDS--Civil War comes to mind. I believe they are deserving, but not more than others who have been snubbed thus far.

IMHO, that's what is wrong with this process. Example: The Beastie Boys in ahead of ELO? Are you kidding me? Who had a bigger impact on Rock music?

Revering4Blue
08-06-2012, 05:12 PM
KittyDuran agrees w/The Cure snub. She's OK with the others getting the snub however knowing that more than a few were more pop than rock and also that she's has more of an emotional ties with many, i.e., The Monkees and Duran Duran (D2 was not on that list and I think they qualify). KD will also mention another reason for some of the snubs... Three words "Rolling Stone Magazine". Don't know if their influence is still there but it was early on if KD remembers correctly. So if certain artists were "whipping boys" of RS then sorry, no HOF for you!

R4B also believes that The Monkees and D2 qualify. Believe it or not, both were also considered Rock back in their respective days. D2 was all over AOR radio. And D2, in addition to their Pop Top 40 success, have six top 5 AOR tracks to their credit, with Hungry Like The Wolf spending three weeks atop Billboards Top Rock Tracks chart--higher than it's pop chart peak.

KD is also correct about the Rock Critic/Rolling Stone Magazine factor.

R4B also believes that it is past time for a separate Hall Of Popular Music, instead of consolidating it with the RRHOF

Revering4Blue
08-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Two tracks from the '90's are featured in this weeks edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week. One by an immensely popular band, and another signed by the same record label as Guns N' Roses, in what proved to be a futile attempt to follow in their footsteps.

Junkyard--All The Time In The World (1991)

As I mentioned earlier, Geffen Records signed this Los Angeles based band to a recording contract in attempt to capitalize on the success of Guns N' Roses, of whom this band was/is often compared with. Alas, after two albums, it didn't work out that way. But, IMHO, it wasn't due to lack of talent. I really didn't get the GNR comparison at all, as they sound more like a harder-edged Black Crowes to me.

This was/is, by far, their most popular song, and was in heavy AOR rotation the Summer of '91. It's still an Ipod favorite of mine. Also, on a personal level, my Mother, who suddenly passed away nearly one year ago at the age of 73, really liked this song, just as she liked quite a bit of AOR. I'm not making this up--She was a character.

This ones for you, Mom!

Junkyard - All The Time In The World - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6-AcZgDCks)

Hootie And The Blowfish--Drowning (1995)

This often overlooked track from Cracked Rear View was the only one from said CD to receive heavy AOR airplay without enjoying the Pop/Top 40 success as the other "hits" off the album. Those who own the CD, or are familiar with it, are already aware that this somewhat controversial track--awesome that it is--wasn't/isn't Pop/Top 40 friendly.

Nevertheless, it remains my favorite Hootie And The Blowfish track to this day with it's harder-edged sound.

--------Warning-------

As I stated earlier, this song was considered somewhat controversial--not really in a Political Sense--at the time. So let's not turn this into a Peanut Gallery-type thread.

Also, it does contain one brief word very early in the song that you cannot say on prime time TV. So keep that in mind if children are around.

I was initially hesitant to feature this track. But I have faith in my fellow Redzoners to not take this thread where it doesn't belong.

Hootie and The Blowfish - Drowning (Lyrics) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg9N1x_C8vo)

Rock On, Redszone!

Adieu, from R4Blue.

gilpdawg
08-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Ah, back in the days where radio stations didn't all have the same playlist because they weren't all owned by three companies. The Junkyard song I'm familiar with is called Hollywood. I'm thinking they made a video for that one.

Revering4Blue
08-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Ah, back in the days where radio stations didn't all have the same playlist because they weren't all owned by three companies. The Junkyard song I'm familiar with is called Hollywood. I'm thinking they made a video for that one.

Good tune. I remember "Hollywood" and "Simple Man" receiving moderate AOR airplay back in 89'90. They are still together touring and are very popular in Europe and Asia.

JUNKYARD "Hollywood" from the self-titled Geffen Debut - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPQ0DI3Mar0)

Revering4Blue
08-06-2012, 09:32 PM

Thankfully, we have ClassXRadio.

http://classxradio.com/index.php

Thanks again for bringing that to my attention.

Captain13
08-07-2012, 01:00 PM
I, for one, would like to thank R4B for starting and continuing to contribute to this thread. This is my favorite thread on the site to check into once or twice a week. I love the videos, some of the songs I remember, some I don't. The best part is the discussions that follow: "what happened to X" "I had forgotten about Y" "the total absurdity of the RRHOF and it's Rolling Stone influence".

I am now going to attempt my first video post. If this works "I Wish I a Girl" by Henry Lee Summer will be on here. This is an AOR hit that reminds me of a simpler time (that probably never existed).

Henry Lee Summer-Wish I Had A Girl That Walked Like That - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHApuv0lhyk)

gilpdawg
08-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I, for one, would like to thank R4B for starting and continuing to contribute to this thread. This is my favorite thread on the site to check into once or twice a week. I love the videos, some of the songs I remember, some I don't. The best part is the discussions that follow: "what happened to X" "I had forgotten about Y" "the total absurdity of the RRHOF and it's Rolling Stone influence".

I am now going to attempt my first video post. If this works "I Wish I a Girl" by Henry Lee Summer will be on here. This is an AOR hit that reminds me of a simpler time (that probably never existed).

Henry Lee Summer-Wish I Had A Girl That Walked Like That - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHApuv0lhyk)

Lol, the first time I ever heard that song as a kid I thought he was singing "wish I had a girl to wash my back."

That's one of those regional hits you don't see anymore. People outside the Midwest are much less likely to remember this one.

KittyDuran
08-07-2012, 07:26 PM
KittyDuran will attempt to embed a video of one of her favorite AOR songs. She actually bought the album just for this single:

Elliot Easton's "(Wearing Down) Like a Wheel". Enjoy one of the finer southpaw guitarists!

Elliot Easton "Like A Wheel" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBRc4pLkMlM)

Revering4Blue
08-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Well done, Captain13 and KittyDuran. I remember both tracks well.

Actually, the Henry Lee Summer track was far from just a "regional" hit, even though it seems that way. I'm going to feature another track from HLS in the future--just to give you a heads-up.

Until I recently found it on Grooveshark, I hadn't heard Wearing Down) Like a Wheel in ages. It was always more memorable to me than any of the solo work by Ric Ocasek or Ben Orr. Easton, much like Andy Taylor was/is a terribly underrated guitarist.

Revering4Blue
08-11-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm featuring two indefensible RRHOF snubbed bands in this weeks edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week. Plus, as a bonus, two tracks from each artist are featured. In the case of both bands, the lead singer on the featured tracks isn't the usual one for the respective bands.

The Cars-It's All I Can Do (1979)

This track, which surprisingly received very little Pop/Top 40 airplay compared with AOR play, was/is considered one of the band's signiture tracks. But you wouldn't know it by the lack of AOR airplay today. In other words, it should be considered a classic. Along with great keyboard work and a nice Elliot Easton guitar solo, bass player Ben Orr delivers his usual home run as lead vocalist. Even though The Cars are back with newer material, IMHO, a major part of them died with Orr's untimely passing in 2000.

The Cars-It's Not The Night (1984)

One of the better tracks off of Heartbeat City, this track also features Ben Orr, rather than Ric Ocasek, on lead vocals. Other than the major Pop/Rock hits, this track along with the title track were the only ones to receive major AOR airplay from Heartbeat City. IMHO, The aforementioned tracks from the LP both had hit single written all over them. It has always puzzled me why the sappy Why Can't I Have You and the utterly annoying Hello Again were chosen as singles instead of this track and the title track.

Oh, well. This track ROCKS.

The CARS - It's All I Can Do(1979) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZAkOSpVumw)

The Cars - It's Not The Night - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpD3CDaE46k)

Heart-There's The Girl (1988)

Heart-Stranded (1990)

Both tracks were major Pop/AOR hits back in the day, but have seemingly fallen of the face of the earth from an AOR standpoint. Both feature Nancy Wilson on lead vocals (her sister Ann usually sang lead) of whom I've always been, ahem, fond of.:D

The former from the CD Bad Animals. The latter from Brigade.
IMHO, the former is the better track of the two--not that I consider the latter weak.

All in all, memories from a time long before Post Grunge Metal--not to be confused with Post Grunge Rock--was inflicted upon us, er, became the staple for AOR radio.

Heart - There's The Girl - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fwwYZ5QV5s)

Heart - Stranded - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeZmJOIzTUY)

Rock on, Redszone!

Adieu from R4Blue.

texasdave
08-11-2012, 04:08 PM
My personal favorite by Ric Ocasek and the boys.

It's an orangy sky.
Always it's some other guy.
It's just a broken lullaby.

The Cars - Bye Bye Love - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1EOV84pRvY)

Revering4Blue
08-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Here are all of The Cars songs featuring the late Benjamin Orr on lead vocals. IMHO, the man never received his due for his contributions to the band. But, contrary to popular belief, it wasn't because of Ric Ocasek pushing him aside as the face of the band.

In fact, years ago, Ocasek was quoted as saying something along the lines of If we need a good singer, I'll sing. If a great singer is needed, Ben will sing.

The Cars
Just What I Needed
Bye, Bye Love
Moving In Stereo
All Mixed Up

Candy-O
Let's Go
It's All I Can Do
Candy-O
You Can't Hold On Too Long

Panorama
Don't Tell Me No
Down Boys
You Wear Those Eyes
Running To You

Shake It Up
This Could Be Love
Cruiser
Think It Over

Heartbeat City
Drive
Stranger Eyes
It's Not The Night

Door to Door
Double Trouble
Everything You Say
Coming Up You
Go Away

The tracks "Candy-O", "Cruiser" and "Double Trouble" also qualify as lost AOR radio tracks and are well worth checking out.

marcshoe
08-11-2012, 05:57 PM
I remember seeing the Cars perform Candy-O on television and thinking that Ric Ocasik looked really different than he did in his pictures. I figured it out later.

camisadelgolf
08-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Not a lot of people know this, but the founding members of the Cars (Ocasek and Orr) met at Antioch in Yellow Springs, OH.

Tuff Nut
08-12-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm a long-time rocker, and have enjoyed going thru this thread. Wow, at some rekindled memories. For those that think rock is dead, I feel ya just gotta look for it harder. During my 20s, I'd go into record stores, find the Rock/metal section, and just pilfer thru the albums, looking for new or lesser known bands,(I grew up in 'BFE' and the closest ROCK stations,were outta ear-shot, unless you liked static) and then turning my friends on to them. Bands like Fastway, Mama's Boyz, Black and Blue, Lynch Mob, and one of my all- time faves......Y&T(formerly known as Yesterday and Today)
Another favorite, though they got more air-play, than these others, was Triumph.

Long Live Rock.

Captain13
08-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Both tracks were major Pop/AOR hits back in the day, but have seemingly fallen of the face of the earth from an AOR standpoint. Both feature Nancy Wilson on lead vocals (her sister Ann usually sang lead) of whom I've always been, ahem, fond of.:D

If I'm not mistaken Nancy also sang on the hit These Dreams.

Revering4Blue
08-13-2012, 08:01 PM

If I'm not mistaken Nancy also sang on the hit These Dreams.

NVEExport.mpg - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6wwAhvirY)

gilpdawg
08-14-2012, 04:28 AM
I just thought of one. I love this song. It came out during that weird period for rock radio when grunge was starting to break but the hair farmers were still going strong so it was anything goes for a brief time. It wasn't uncommon to hear something like Nirvana or Pearl Jam in the same set with something like Krokus or something and mixed in was classic rock songs and classic metal like Maiden and Priest. Anyhoo, this song got played quite a bit on WRZX out of Indy, but for some reason they never said the name of the band. It wasn't until years later that I found out who it was, and then had to track down all their CDs, which by then were out of print. The first two records are very very good and if you like this song then track those down because you'll love em. The rest of the catalogue is hit and miss.

Galactic Cowboys-You Make Me Smile

Galactic Cowboys - You Make Me Smile (Audio) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34OASgsyHVI)

Captain13
08-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Wow. The Galactic Cowboys: a little bit Primus, a little bit Iron Maiden, a little bit Van Halen, very talented and very weird. They were too heavy for mainstream radio and too odd for the metalheads, but they had some very good songs.

texasdave
08-14-2012, 01:00 PM
I bought that Galactic Cowboys album about the same time I bought this King's X album. So they are always linked together inside my simple mind.

King's X - Mississippi Moon - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxBG5Y9oLsY)

King's X - (Thinking and Wondering) What I'm Gonna Do - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipJvCRl_vK4&feature=fvwp&NR=1)

gilpdawg
08-14-2012, 05:24 PM
I love me some King's X as well.

Revering4Blue
08-14-2012, 08:29 PM
I love me some King's X as well.

+1

Here's a once heavily played King's X track from 1992. I actually met the band when they checked into the hotel where I was working at around 2 A.M, back when "It's Love" (likely their signature song) was all over AOR radio.

King's X - Black Flag - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rD9thg_9x0)

I still can't understand why no King's X tracks following "Dogman" ever reached even light to moderate National AOR airplay. On that note, I'm glad that texasdave posted the King's X tracks from the "Ear Candy" CD.

As for the Galactic Cowboys track, I didn't recognize the Band or the Title until I listened to it--then, what do you know?

I hadn't heard it in years. Talk about an awesome Lost track..

Some real gems posted here by fellow Redzoners lately.:thumbup:

KittyDuran
08-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Here's a nice beatlesque tune from our neighbors in the north. Once again I bought the album (CD) just for this track. The video is great-saw it on MuchMusic back in the day... Ladies & Gents, The Odds (with cameos by Junkhouse and the Pursuit of Happiness):

Odds-Eat My Brain - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZFPiG8dEBk)

Revering4Blue
08-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Y&T-Don't Stop Runnin' ( 1984)

Bay area-based Y&T, best known for the track "Summertime Girls," should have been at least as popular as Quiet Riot--whose two major AOR hits were remakes of Slade songs--and White Lion. Dave Meniketti, IMHO, was/ is as good of a Metal voice as anyone and really could rip the guitar. Anyway, this track--hokey, but entertaining, video and all--is still the best of their AOR hits to me. 1983 AOR hit "Mean Streak" is also recommended.

Y&T - Don't Stop Runnin' - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3iC6zqYkGI&feature=related)

The Jayhawks-Waiting For The Sun (1993)

The only AOR hit for this Minneapolis-based band. Sadly, they've been relegated to AAA radio since then, which, IMHO, represents everything wrong with commercial AOR today--Unless you are either a legendary band (read: Van Halen) or a Post-Grunge Metal band, or you are the Foo Fighters or Nickelback, you will rarely, if ever, gain airplay today with newer, if even older, material. No wonder so many younger people have such a small perspective of what AOR truly means.

The Jayhawks - Waiting for the Sun - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMyKcNL-Vs)

Saga-The Flyer (1983)

Best known for the '82 AOR/Pop/MTV hit "On The Loose" from the LP "Worlds Apart," Saga also scored AOR hits with "Wind Him Up"--the follow-up to "On The Loose"--"What Do I Know," --IMHO, the weakest of them all--and this great track from the "Heads Or Tails" LP. Much like fellow Canadian band Honeymoon Suite, Saga was very popular in Canada, and it seems as if few remember the band by name here.

Saga - The Flyer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH7XWkwggsM)

As always, Rock On, Redszone!

Adieu from R4Blue.

texasdave
08-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Here's a nice beatlesque tune from our neighbors in the north. Once again I bought the album (CD) just for this track. The video is great-saw it on MuchMusic back in the day... Ladies & Gents, The Odds (with cameos by Junkhouse and the Pursuit of Happiness):

Odds-Eat My Brain - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZFPiG8dEBk)

Nice song.

texasdave
08-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Love the Jayhawks. I will throw my fave Jayhawks song out there.

The Jayhawks - "Ten Little Kids" (Webster Hall, NYC - 01/21/11) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yir1HwmM08)

Another, IMO, underrated band is/was/will be The Bottle Rockets. Country rock.

The Bottle Rockets "Sunday Sports" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7di7FDFLgtk)

Tuff Nut
08-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the Y&T dap........I agree Menniketti was an underrated singer and guitarist. They did start getting a lil 'cheesy' with 'Summertime Girls', but over all, had great music. The song 'Forever', on their live cd, of their farewell performance, is just phenomenal.
Keep up the great work, and Rock On.

Orenda
08-20-2012, 06:54 AM
sometimes cash wakes me up better than coffee...love ya momma

Johnny Cash Devil's right Hand - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U72ZRh4W8OU)

Captain13
08-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Before he was relegated to LiteFM, Richard Marx had a couple of AOR hits. The first and my favorite is Don't Mean Nothin'. Also Satisfied and Should've Known Better got AOR play.

richard marx - don't mean nothin' - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8E_dkESwzg)

KittyDuran
08-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Before he was relegated to LiteFM, Richard Marx had a couple of AOR hits. The first and my favorite is Don't Mean Nothin'. Also Satisfied and Should've Known Better got AOR play.

richard marx - don't mean nothin' - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8E_dkESwzg)

My fav is Keep Coming Back".

Revering4Blue
08-25-2012, 11:36 PM
I'd like to begin this week's edition of Lost Rocks Of The Week by, once again, thanking everyone for their contributions this past week. Actually, one of you posted a track by an Artist I had planned to feature this week, but I'll hold off on posting that particular Artist/track this week, as I don't want to detract from anyone's previous post.

Jackyl-The Lumberjack (1992)

Jackyl-Push Comes To Shove (1994)

This is simply a case of indecision of which track to post, so I decided to go ahead and post two tracks.

The former track is considered the band's signature track. The Latter is actually the band's biggest AOR hit based on Billboard Rock Tracks chart position--peaked at #7--and is my personal favorite Jackyl AOR hit. Oddly enough, their AOR hit "Down On Me" continues to receive the most AOR airplay, and the band seemed to continually push the envelope with edgy material.

On that note, frontman Jesse James Dupree had/has a point when he stated that "Rock n' roll ain't supposed to be like Sunday School."

Jackyl - The Lumberjack - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A52p9jc-gOo&feature=relmfu)

Jackyl - Push Comes To Shove - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00iVeTMPQeY)

Jim Capaldi-Something So Strong (1988)

If you are ever discussing great drummer/vocalists at your next cocktail party--yeah, I know that is unlikely--don't call it a night without mentioning the late Jim Capaldi, formerly of Traffic. This inspirational piece of AOR--one I feel is one of the best songs ever written... Period--is one that I believe that you will be unable to keep out of any workout music mix you may utilize.

This track is also noteworthy as it features Steve Winwood, also a former member of Traffic, on both Synthesizer and guitar. I can't say enough about this one.

JIM CAPALDI - SOMETHING SO STRONG (Best of the Best OST) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpawaPWO4SE)

Diesel-Sausolito Summernight (1981)

From the album Watts In The Tank, this was hugely popular on both AOR and Top 40/Pop radio--the 45 rpm version was truncated to the point that it was butchered--during the Fall of '81. It was the only hit that this Dutch band ever had.

Very witty lyrics highlight this track about a road trip in a jalopy in which everything that could go wrong does. I'm fairly certain that the 40+ year old Redzoners out there will remember this "closet classic" presented here in full LP version.

Diesel Sausolito Summernight.mpg - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c93aaCza_dY)

As always, Rock On, Redzone!

Adieu from R4Blue.

Yachtzee
08-26-2012, 02:22 AM
I don't get the dislike over the Beastie Boys getting into the Rock Hall. They started out as a punk band that ended up fusing Rock and Hip Hop and influencing a great deal of other acts. I agree that there are a number of bands snubbed that should be in, but I would have made the Faces, Donovan and, yes, Guns 'N' Roses wait before the Beastie Boys. Was never a fan of Axl Rose and always thought he sounded like someone was hitting a bag of cats with a stick.

I was just going over the list of snubs for the Rock Hall and I found something truly amazing. http://www.futurerocklegends.com/The_Snub_List.php

There are some great groups and performers on that list, and I would put a good number of them in the Hall. But what I want to know is, who in the world keeps nominating Chic? They've been eligible for 10 years and have been nominated 6 times already. Seriously? Because they had 1 disco hit back in the day. And yet bands like Deep Purple, Cheap Trick, Rush, and ELO have come up goose eggs on even being nominated? Even looking at another disco era performer, Donna Summer has been eligible for 13 years and yet has only been nominated 4 times, and she is pretty much the Queen of Disco.

Personally, I'd like to see bands like Rush, Cheap Trick, ELO, and Deep Purple get in as well as bands like Iron Maiden, Devo, The Cure, The Smiths, The Replacements, and KISS get the call. Of the newer eligible acts, I think the Pixies and Sonic Youth should get tabbed, but won't because they were overshadowed by the Grunge-Alt Rock movement they greatly influenced.

Revering4Blue
08-26-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't get the dislike over the Beastie Boys getting into the Rock Hall. They started out as a punk band that ended up fusing Rock and Hip Hop and influencing a great deal of other acts.

Personal take: Of course the Beastie Boys are RRHOF worthy, just not ahead of many others such as Rush, ELO and others. Yes, they influenced others. But, IMHO, that's not such a great thing.

In the case of Linkin Park, the Rap/Hip Hop is just a supplement, so many traditional Rock fans accepted them. Everlast, too, was successful because he toned it down and didn't operate at the normal "manic" Rap/Hip Hop pace. After that, Rap/Hip Hop began to infiltrate Metal, and even though Nu-Metal/Post Grunge "monotone" Metal was the rage for awhile--mostly because it attracted the Rap/Hip Hop crowd who had previously ignored Rock--it, IMHO, not "Grunge," is what led many AOR stations to become Classic Rock stations.

Traditional Melodic AOR and, to a certain extent, "Hair Metal" still co-existed with the likes of Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots and others--even Alternative Metal co-existed with traditional Rock. But once the manic Rap/Hip Hop/monotone Metal became the norm, it was curtains for many AOR stations, who either went the "Classic Rock" or "Active Rock" route.

texasdave
08-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Another "Something So Strong" song. This one from a very underrated band. Started out as Split Enz and then morphed into
Crowded House.

Crowded House - Something So Strong - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXArBZItqGc)

forfreelin04
08-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Beach house wild 1
Jay z no church in the wild 2
Broken social scene forced to love 9
White hinterland Icarus 8
Beatles hey bulldog 11*
Of monsters and men mountain sound
The Blue Van-There Goes My *13
The Features-That's how it starts 12
Jimmy Eat World-Your new aesthetic demo 4
Dr dog hang on 14
M83 outro 16
Mumford and sons I will wait 7*
Grizzly bear ready, able 11
My moon my man Feist grizzly bear remix 15
Radiohead backdrifts

My latest created album :) outro might be one of my fav songs I've ever put on a cd

Yachtzee
08-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Personal take: Of course the Beastie Boys are RRHOF worthy, just not ahead of many others such as Rush, ELO and others. Yes, they influenced others. But, IMHO, that's not such a great thing.

In the case of Linkin Park, the Rap/Hip Hop is just a supplement, so many traditional Rock fans accepted them. Everlast, too, was successful because he toned it down and didn't operate at the normal "manic" Rap/Hip Hop pace. After that, Rap/Hip Hop began to infiltrate Metal, and even though Nu-Metal/Post Grunge "monotone" Metal was the rage for awhile--mostly because it attracted the Rap/Hip Hop crowd who had previously ignored Rock--it, IMHO, not "Grunge," is what led many AOR stations to become Classic Rock stations.

Traditional Melodic AOR and, to a certain extent, "Hair Metal" still co-existed with the likes of Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots and others--even Alternative Metal co-existed with traditional Rock. But once the manic Rap/Hip Hop/monotone Metal became the norm, it was curtains for many AOR stations, who either went the "Classic Rock" or "Active Rock" route.

Revering4Blue
08-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Another "Something So Strong" song. This one from a very underrated band. Started out as Split Enz and then morphed into
Crowded House.

"I Got You" by the Split Enz is another lost AOR classic.

As far as Crowded House is concerned, my faves were both AOR hits from their followup CD Temple Of Low Men:

"Better Be Home Soon" and "Never Be The Same," the latter, my favorite of the two.

While I've always liked "Something So Strong," I've never cared for their signature tune "Don't Dream It's Over" for some reason. Of course, Crowded House would be relegated to Top 40 and AAA radio today.

texasdave
08-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Two Split Enz songs that I really like are, "History Never Repeats" and "Hard Act To Follow". And the Crowded House CD "Woodface" is excellent IMO.

Revering4Blue
08-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Two Split Enz songs that I really like are, "History Never Repeats" and "Hard Act To Follow".

Man, I haven't heard those great songs in years, though our local AOR station played them back in the day. Why that band didn't receive the airplay here in the States that they did elsewhere, I don't understand. Then again, it is wise to listen to the entire LP/CD because many great songs never receive airplay at all in any format.

And the Crowded House CD "Woodface" is excellent IMO.

Admittedly, I'm unfamiliar with the entire CD, but I do remember the AOR/AAA hit "Chocolate Cake." I'll check it out.

marcshoe
08-26-2012, 08:35 PM
I lived in Australia during Split Enz heyday and still listen to them a lot. I actually prefer them to CH because of the weirdness quotient and the Tim Finn songs. "Dirty Creature", a song about Tim's battles with mental illness and depression, is one of my all time favorites.

"I need a dragonslayer who can save me from myself."

Split Enz - Dirty Creature - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-k3QDTWrSg)@

KittyDuran
08-26-2012, 09:43 PM
I lived in Australia during Split End heyday and still listen to them a lot. I actually prefer them to CH because of the weirdness quotient and the Tim Finn songs. "Dirty Creature", a song about Tim's battles with mental illness and depression, is one of my all time favorites.

"I need a dragonslayer who can save me from myself."

Split Enz - Dirty Creature - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-k3QDTWrSg)@

How about "Six Months in a Leaky Boat"?

marcshoe
08-26-2012, 09:47 PM
There's a version out there by Tim Finn with The Wiggles that makes "6 months" about Captain Feathersword. Really. Also, the late Paul Hester, drummer for both The Enz and CH, played the chef on The Wiggles.

And the BBC banned "Six Months" as being detrimental to the war effort in The Faulklands, which was nonsense.

Btw, I also love "I see Red" which has one of the best endings ever.

Split Enz - I See Red - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKj4upY1VYI)

Revering4Blue
08-26-2012, 10:32 PM
While we're on the subject of New Wave/Power Pop AOR, does anyone remember this one?

Squeeze-Pulling Muscles (from the shell) (1980)

Pulling Muscles (from the shell) - Squeeze - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-fXmS_JmvA)

KittyDuran
08-26-2012, 10:36 PM
While we're on the subject of New Wave/Power Pop AOR, does anyone remember this one?

Pulling Muscles (from the shell) - Squeeze - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-fXmS_JmvA)

Preferred Black Coffee in Bed actually... :)

Tony Cloninger
08-26-2012, 10:38 PM
The Buzzcocks were a great power pop/punk band. 20/20 is long forgotten too but they were very good at it.

camisadelgolf
08-27-2012, 05:07 PM

One of my all-time favorites. Their Greatest Hits album is near perfection.

Revering4Blue
08-27-2012, 05:26 PM
As much as I like Paul Carrack--IMHO, he was/is one of the top Rock vocalists of all time--for some reason, I like the Squeeze material better without him; the ones mentioned here, "Hourglass" and others.

BTW, it's good to see some support for New Wave/Power Pop. As I previously stated, it was a fixture on AOR radio back in the day.

texasdave
08-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Did someone say Paul Carrack?

Ace - How Long - 45 RPM - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQdnOg0T30)

Revering4Blue
08-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Did someone say Paul Carrack?

Ace - How Long - 45 RPM - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQdnOg0T30)

Without question, one of the best song's of the 70's! Love the presentation of the video--nothing like the ole' 45's and LPs.

camisadelgolf
08-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Yes, Paul Carrack. :)

Speaking of which, Roxy Music toured a little last year. I'd love to see them.

vaticanplum
08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Admittedly, I'm unfamiliar with the entire CD, but I do remember the AOR/AAA hit "Chocolate Cake." I'll check it out.

Woodface is a stellar album -- one of my all-time favorites -- *except* for Chocolate Cake, IMHO. That song is awful. It's the leadoff track, and I always, always started with track 2 on that album.

I think the biggest hit from that album was probably Weather With You.

I somehow missed this thread until now. Lots of fun stuff in here.

marcshoe
08-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Chocolate Cake also hasn't held up well at all. Too many contemporary references.

Captain13
09-04-2012, 03:38 PM
This next tune is off one of my favorite albums, 11 by The Smithereens. The Smithereens had several AOR hits through the late 80's and into the 90's. The Blues Before and After is not the biggest of those (or likely the best), but it is one that I really enjoy.

The Blues Before and After-The Smithereens

The Smithereens - Blues Before and After - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO4C70gfQ3g)

Rojo
09-06-2012, 04:48 PM
The Buzzcocks were a great power pop/punk band. 20/20 is long forgotten too but they were very good at it.

Not a fan with a big exception: "Why can't I touch it?" That song kills it.

Revering4Blue
09-11-2012, 08:41 PM
In the spirit of AOR radio, it's a Two-Fer Tuesday edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week.

R.E.M-Texarkana (1991)
R.E.M-Strange Currencies (1995)

The former is from Out Of Time. The Latter is from Monster, my personal favorite '90's R.E.M CD. Neither of them are played anymore, of course.

Texarkana R.E.M. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP--MxYzTuo)

REM - Strange Currencies (with lyrics) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_jBcybz-Y)

The Fixx-Deeper And Deeper (1984)
The Fixx-Driven Out (1989)

This Band, who have just released a new CD titled Beautiful Friction, were a fixture on the AOR radio charts from 1982-1991. I chose these two tracks because, even though they were HUGE AOR hits, they were not Top 40 Radio/Pop hits. Thus, you'll never hear them on an 80's station, unlike many other Fixx hits.

The first track is a cool track from the Streets Of Fire Soundtrack. "Driven Out" is from Calm Animals, and is one of three Fixx tracks to top the Billboard Rock Tracks chart--"Are We Ourselves" and "Secret Separation" were the others.

The Fixx - Deeper and deeper ( Long version ) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qRHlp2MNks)

The Fixx - Driven Out - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJDCAlg83_o)

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers-A Woman In Love(It's Not Me) (1981)
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers-Out In The Cold (1991

Two, IMHO, terribly underrated AOR hits from a Hall of Famer. The tracks are from Hard Promises and Into The Great Wide Open, respectively.

A Woman In Love (It's Not Me) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKDYErlu5Kc)

Tom Petty - Out in the Cold (Music Video) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdI2eCCQbmA)

Adieu from R4Blue.

Revering4Blue
09-11-2012, 08:51 PM
This next tune is off one of my favorite albums, 11 by The Smithereens. The Smithereens had several AOR hits through the late 80's and into the 90's. The Blues Before and After is not the biggest of those (or likely the best), but it is one that I really enjoy.

The Blues Before and After-The Smithereens

Great choice.

I'm a big Smithereens fan, so rest assured, they'll be featured again here.

KittyDuran
09-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Great choice.

I'm a big Smithereens fan, so rest assured, they'll be featured again here.

The attached pic is my actual 45 of the single!

The Smithereens - Behind The Wall Of Sleep - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNZbP3ZVem4)

KittyDuran
09-13-2012, 07:20 PM
An early REM hit... with attachment of the both sides of my 12" single...

R.E.M. - Can't Get There From Here - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD3cYh5Pp1I)

Yachtzee
09-16-2012, 10:57 PM
[CENTER]An early REM hit...

Great song. REM was my favorite band in the late 80s and early 90s. My first concert going with friends was at the Richfield Coliseum for the Green tour. I started to get less enthusiastic when they released Out of Time and they became dead to me when Everybody Hurts came out. I can't stand that song. By then The Pixies had already become my new favorite.

Revering4Blue
09-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Rather than limit the double-shots to just the artists who created/performed the tracks, the tracks paired together on this week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week are paired that way because they have something in common:
Artist, year of peak popularity, or at least one common word in the song title.

Judas Priest - Heading Out To The Highway (1981)

Traveling Wilburys - Heading For The Light (1989)

Easily one of the best Metal bands of all time, this once huge AOR hit straight from the album Point Of Entry--because it isn't named "Breaking The Law,"
"Living After Midnight," or "You've Got Another Thing Comin'"--never receives airplay anymore, even though it is considered one of the band's signature tracks.

Featuring George Harrison and Jeff Lynne sharing lead vocals, this largely forgotten track is, IMHO, the best of the eight AOR hits by this Supergroup. Only
"Handle With Care," great track that it is, seems to be the only track that anyone can recall.

Judas Priest - Heading Out To The Highway - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM9WkluNL7M)

Traveling Wilburys - Heading For The Light - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW9S5mAspZ0)

38 Special - You Keep Runnin' Away (1982)

38 Special - The Sound Of Your Voice (1991)

IMHO, a borderline RRHOF snub. There are many inducted RRHOF artists with much weaker resumes than this Jacksonville, Fla based band.

Anyway, track number one was the follow-up AOR hit to the smash "Caught Up In You," and I never understood why, even though it was a big AOR hit, it wasn't a bigger Pop hit than it was, as it is as catchy as any 38 Special track.

Track number two, a huge AOR hit from the CD Bone Against Steel, features Keyboardist Max Carl on lead vocals. Carl's other vocal credits with the band include "Rock & Roll Strategy" and "Second Chance," which was a smash hit back in the day on everything from Lite F.M to AOR radio. This track sounds like a Survivor song because Survivor member Jim Peterik helped write it and, IMSMC, produced it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wkql_38-special-you-keep-running-away_music

38 SPECIAL . THE SOUND OF YOUR VOICE - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGD8Ix3YSbM)

John Waite - Change (1982)

Tears For Fears - Change (1983)

Cutting right to the chase, the aforementioned tracks--same title, different songs--were the first AOR hits from the respective artists and, IMHO, remain the best AOR hits from said artists to this day.

Track number one is from the album Ignition, which was the first solo album by the former lead singer of the Babys, and, eventually, Bad English. For my money, one of the best Rock vocalists ever. There, I said it..

As for the eclectic Tears For Fears, this track, straight from album The Hurting, was an AOR hit a full two years before the band really hit it big with the CD Songs From The Big Chair. The follow-up CD The Seeds Of Love, inexplicably released four years later, was also great, but "Change" remains, at least to me, the definitive Tears For Fears track and AOR hit.

kshe classics john waite change - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d1bSmqA7ss)

Tears For Fears - Change + lyrics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsQ7iA14ss0)

Adieu from R4Blue.

Revering4Blue
09-18-2012, 09:51 PM
The attached pic is my actual 45 of the single!

The Smithereens - Behind The Wall Of Sleep - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNZbP3ZVem4)

You read my mind, KD. This is exactly the Smithereens track that I was going to post. It's good to know that at least a few of us remember this great track.

Full disclosure: I can certainly relate to this song--dreaming about a tall woman. Been there, done that. Hey, we all have our weaknesses.:D

Anyway, I never knew that this was ever released as a single. Is that, by chance, a promotional 45?

KittyDuran
09-18-2012, 10:07 PM
You read my mind, KD. This is exactly the Smithereens track that I was going to post. It's good to know that at least a few of us remember this great track.

Full disclosure: I can certainly relate to this song--dreaming about a tall woman. Been there, done that. Hey, we all have our weaknesses.:D

Anyway, I never knew that this was ever released as a single. Is that, by chance, a promotional 45?

Can't remember... That single and the REM 12" we're IIRC purchased at either Looney T-Birds in Oxford or Horizon Records & Tapes in Fairfield.

Dom Heffner
09-18-2012, 10:14 PM
John Waite and .38 Special, two great acts. Jim Peterik, who wrote a lot of their songs is also a favorite of mine. Love his work with Survivor.

texasdave
09-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Great job as always. One of my favorite threads.

Turning Circles is my favorite Judas Priest song. And it's "You've got another think coming". I know most people probably say it the other way. We all have our little idiosyncracies. Keep those classic tunes coming. :)

Judas Priest-Turning Circles (Vinyl) 1981 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0wCY_Pa0R0)

texasdave
09-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Oh, yeah. Love John Waite (especially the Babys). But my vote for best rock vocalist would go to this guy.

Grand Funk Railroad - Pass It Around - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0KFTWBzMWE)

marcshoe
09-19-2012, 09:44 AM
I briefly had a blog titled "Heading for the Light" after the Wilbury's song.

Captain13
09-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Rev, you have outdone yourself this time. I listened to the Wilburys' song twice in a row, and again after listening to the rest of the tracks.

I am thinking long and hard about "best rock vocalist ever". I will weigh in on that later.

Right now I want to add my favorite Wilburys track:

Traveling Wilburys - Tweeter And The Monkey Man - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReQsRgQXgQY)

Dom Heffner
09-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Oooh. Best rock vocalist. Someone is going to say Freddie Mercury, to which I would say mechanically speaking an argument could be made.

But I would say Aretha, Ray Charles, Robert Plant, and really Elvis are all better contenders.

KittyDuran
09-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Best rock vocalist? I'd go with Paul Rodgers with honorable mention to Lou Gramm.

marcshoe
09-19-2012, 10:05 PM
I might go with Roger Daltry or Eric Burden, but I'm too Medicated to think about it much. Chris Cornell gets an honorable mention along with the uber-copied Bowie and Vedder.

camisadelgolf
09-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Scott Stapp is the best vocalist of all-time.[/argument]

gilpdawg
09-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Glenn Hughes is pretty great, vocals wise.

Captain13
09-20-2012, 09:14 AM
I like all of the above suggestions for rock vocalist, especially Paul Rogers. I also love Ian Astbury, Ozzy and Chris Robinson, but I have to give my vote to this guy from Seattle.

Geoff Tate.

Queensrÿche - I Don't Believe In Love - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32GsPfUnsRk)

Dom Heffner
09-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Ozzy has a great voice, one of the things that always gets lost in the other stuff.

I like Paul Rodgers as well-

Daryl Hall's voice is awesome.

texasdave
09-23-2012, 10:35 AM
I would like to also give a late nod to Roger Daltrey as well.

redsfanmia
09-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Chris Cornell has to be in the conversation and I personally like Rod Stewart when he sings a rock song.

The DARK
09-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Perhaps not a "rock" vocalist, but I have to throw my vote in for Sam Cooke. If there's been a better pop music voice in the last 100 years, I've not heard it.

RichRed
09-24-2012, 03:14 PM
The Wilburys whole first album, "Vol. 1," is pretty great, top to bottom. I've always loved "Heading for the Light."

And this is just an excellent thread.

Dom Heffner
09-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Chris Cornell has to be in the conversation and I personally like Rod Stewart when he sings a rock song.

Like so many artists, Rod gets hit because of his latter work.

You can't be young and edgy forever...

Love Rod's stuff all the way up to the Motown Song. That was the end lol...

Another guy who takes a load of undeserved grief is Phil Collins. Guy is the most successful artist of the 80s behind Michael Jackson and people practically stoned him.

Revering4Blue
09-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Like so many artists, Rod gets hit because of his latter work.

You can't be young and edgy forever...

Love Rod's stuff all the way up to the Motown Song. That was the end lol...

Another guy who takes a load of undeserved grief is Phil Collins. Guy is the most successful artist of the 80s behind Michael Jackson and people practically stoned him.

If Rod Stewart or Paul Carrack were to sing the phone book in lieu of an actual song, I'd still be all ears. IMHO, as Rock vocalists, they were that good.

For clarification, I previously stated that John Waite was/is one of the best Rock vocalists ever. It is impossible to determine the "best," due to different genres, even within the scope of "Rock" music. Nobody has suggested any duds here.

As for Phil Collins, when he was on--Genesis and AOR solo material--he was awesome. For some reason, though, he tried to re-invent himself as the next Celine Dione later in his career, which, IMHO, the quality of his music sank faster than a brick in the Atlantic Ocean. Thus, the backlash.

Captain13
09-24-2012, 10:25 PM
How/why do I always forget Paul Carrack? That guy is awesome.

Also, I think it would be great if some people put up one of their favorite, not necessarily the most popular, songs of their "best rock vocalist". I really just like listening to all these artists and would like the opportunity to hear something that isn't on the radio all the time (or in my iPod, maybe). For instance, I like Lou Gramm alright, but would be curious what song KD really thinks is awesome or what song gilpdawg thinks showcases Glenn Hughes.

Just my $ 0.02

Dom Heffner
09-24-2012, 10:33 PM
If Rod Stewart or Paul Carrack were to sing the phone book in lieu of an actual song, I'd still be all ears. IMHO, as Rock vocalists, they were that good.

For clarification, I previously stated that John Waite was/is one of the best Rock vocalists ever. It is impossible to determine the "best," due to different genres, even within the scope of "Rock" music. Nobody has suggested any duds here.

As for Phil Collins, when he was on--Genesis and AOR solo material--he was awesome. For some reason, though, he tried to re-invent himself as the next Celine Dione later in his career, which, IMHO, the quality of his music sank faster than a brick in the Atlantic Ocean. Thus, the backlash.

John Waite is a great choice. I'm actually a fan of the his stuff with The Babys, that music has aged pretty well. As for his solo stuff, Change, Restless Heart, and of course Missing You were faves.

Revering4Blue
09-29-2012, 09:29 PM
We are going to span five decades of lost Rock tracks this week.

Ready? Here we go.

Donovan - Season Of The Witch (1966)

This lost track, which predates my existance on this Earth, from the artist who presented us with the classics "Mellow Yellow" and "Sunshine Superman" gains little, if any, airplay on AOR or Classic Rock Stations today, which is a mystery to me.

Season of the witch - Donavan - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_kmIsmw2fc)

Pink Floyd - Sheep (1977)

Simply put, a lost AOR hit from an iconic band. The album Animals is also seriously underrated, IMHO.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I find The Wall album as a whole kind of depressing music wise, not to mention seriously overplayed on AOR radio. I actually find the most bizarre Pink Floyd material from various Pink Floyd LPs/CDs to be among the most enjoyable -- AOR airplay or not.

"Sheep" by Pink Floyd - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcRYdVlGXNQ)

Jon Anderson - Cage Of Freedom (1984)

This track is from the Metropolis (Movie) Soundrack, which was re-released in color with an all-new Rock score. This track, featuring Yes front man Jon Anderson, was a huge AOR hit with a harder-edged sound than normally associated with the band Yes.

The soundtrack itself is worth checking out, as it features rare tracks contributed by likes of Freddie Mercury, Pat Benatar, Billy Squier, Adam Ant and others.

03 - Jon Anderson - Cage of Freedom [Metropolis Soundtrack] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epuUqdkO47w)

The Four Horsemen - Nobody Said It Was Easy (1991)

As the title track from the CD of the same name, this was the first, and the biggest, of three AOR radio tracks from a band whose sound was/is best described as Lynard Skynard meets AC/DC.

Due to bad timing--the initial rise of grunge-- and untimely deaths by both lead singer Frank Starr and drummer Ken Montgomery, success for this Hollywood based band was fleeting. As for this track, IMHO, it kicks total arse.

The Four Horsemen - Nobody Said It Was Easy - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcveGZv799w)

Filter - Where Do We Go From Here? (2002)

This was the last major AOR hit for this Cleveland based band. It has been ages since I have heard this track on Commercial AOR radio. Heck, I never even hear the band's most popular tracks--"Hey Man Nice Shot" and "Take A Picture"--on Commercial radio anymore. Band front man Richard Patrick later formed the band Army Of Anyone.

Filter - Where Do We Go From Here - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0AnBMVoSjQ)

Adieu from R4Blue.

KittyDuran
09-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Donovan - Season Of The Witch (1966)

This lost track, which predates my existance on this Earth, from the artist who presented us with the classics "Mellow Yellow" and "Sunshine Superman" gains little, if any, airplay on AOR or Classic Rock Stations today, which is a mystery to me.Last two times I heard this track was 1)60's radio on Rhapsody and 2)WDJO the AM Oldies station here in Cincinnati.

KittyDuran
09-29-2012, 10:14 PM
How/why do I always forget Paul Carrack? That guy is awesome.

Also, I think it would be great if some people put up one of their favorite, not necessarily the most popular, songs of their "best rock vocalist". I really just like listening to all these artists and would like the opportunity to hear something that isn't on the radio all the time (or in my iPod, maybe). For instance, I like Lou Gramm alright, but would be curious what song KD really thinks is awesome or what song gilpdawg thinks showcases Glenn Hughes.

Just my $ 0.02Gramm... pretty much anything before the 80's - always loved "Hot Blooded" lyrics, I would imaged singing that to a few of my singer crushes! :redface:

gilpdawg
09-30-2012, 03:35 AM
I love the Four Horsemen. They put out a record called Back in Business Again that bombed, nobody heard it, and it's fantastic. I like that one better than the debut.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gilpdawg
09-30-2012, 03:40 AM
I love the Four Horsemen. They put out a record called Back in Business Again that bombed, nobody heard it, and it's fantastic. I like that one better than the debut.

Actually that album was called Gettin Pretty Good at Barely Gettin By. Oops.

KittyDuran
10-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Last two times I heard this track was 1)60's radio on Rhapsody and 2)WDJO the AM Oldies station here in Cincinnati.

Heard it again Sunday on WDJO... just heard "Victoria" by The Kinks... :thumbup:

Captain13
10-16-2012, 03:27 PM
I hate to see this forum sit idle, so I thought I would add a few songs from artists previously mentioned.

I wasn't planning on doing mostly covers (or songs that were later covered), but I did. Oh well, I hope there is something for everyone. These are not meant to be the best of each artist, just a sampling of great rock singers singing great rock songs.

Enjoy.

Black Sabbath-Turn to Stone

Not truly Black Sabbath. This was supposed to be a Tony Iommi solo project but the record company insisted on using the Black Sabbath name. Glen Hughes on vox.

Black Sabbath - Turn To Stone - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ59pmLhxVs&feature=related)

Foreigner-Blue Morning Blue Day

Lou Gramm

Blue Morning, Blue Day - Foreigner [HQ] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzK5sX4HsWI)

Paul Carrack-Don't Shed a Tear

Paul Carrack "Don't Shed A Tear" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ4wa-432xQ)

The Faces- (I Know) I'm Losing You

Rod Stewart...'nuff said

The Faces - (I Know) I'm Losing You live at the BBC - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrOPJXrUWII&feature=related)

Sam Cooke-Another Saturday Night

Not only was Sam Cooke a great singer, but a songwriter as well. Both Cat Stevens and Jimmy Buffet have done pretty good versions of this song. Of course, neither one is Sam Cooke.

Sam Cooke- Another Saturday Night - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i98_Lqcryp8)

Elvis Presley-Don't Be Cruel

If it's good enough for Cheap Trick, it's good enough for me.

Elvis Presley - Don't Be Cruel - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViMF510wqWA)

Revering4Blue
10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
I hate to see this forum sit idle, so I thought I would add a few songs from artists previously mentioned.

It's not going to sit idle much longer, but with the MLB Playoffs going on and all..

Anyway, you certainly picked some great tracks.

Revering4Blue
10-16-2012, 08:48 PM
We're going back to the Two-Fer Tuesday theme for our Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week. That, of course, means two songs in a row with something in common.

Sit back, grab your favorite beverage and let's ROCK!

Missing Persons - Destination Unknown (1982)
Rod Stewart - Tora, Tora, Tora (Out With The Boys) (1982)

As many of you know, New-wave was a staple on AOR Radio and MTV in the early '80's, and this track is, IMHO, as fine an example of that genre as any. Featuring lead singer Dale Bozzio--who no doubt inspired Lady Gaga's look-- and a few former members of Frank Zappa's backing band, the band Missing Persons had a handful of AOR hits in the '80's, including, obviously, the track above, "Words" and "Walking In L.A."

If you want to liven up an Adult--and I do mean Adult--party, then simply play this lost AOR hit from Rod Stewart's Tonight I'm Yours LP. Trust me, it works every time. While this track wasn't/isn't Top 40 radio friendly--I wouldn't play it in front of kids--AOR stations ate it up back in the day.

Missing Persons - Destination Unknown [HQ] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RqHBfUTIKY)

Rod Stewart-Tora Tora Tora - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIL6HKSq4TE)

Jeff Lynne - Every Little Thing (1990)
Stabilizers - One Simple Thing (1986)

Not only do the aforementioned tracks contain the word "thing" in the title, they were also the only AOR hits (ELO frontman Jeff Lynne as a solo artist) by the aformentioned artists.

IMHO, the Jeff Lynne track is fantastic, so is the Armchair Theatre CD. Simply put, it rivals his best E.L.O work. Lynne also deserves a ton of credit for personally resurrecting the careers of Dave Edmunds, George Harrison, Tom Petty and Roy Orbison.

Not that the Stabilizers' track is chopped liver. I liked it a lot when it was new and a big AOR hit, and it's an IPOD favorite of mine. Alas, I haven't heard it on AOR Radio in 24 years.

Jeff Lynne - Every Little Thing - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQESs5AOuxQ)

Stabilizers - One Simple Thing (1986) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiTkghd8OtA)

Billy Joel - No Man's Land (1993)
Cry Of Love - Peace Pipe (1993)

From the River Of Dreams CD, this track featuring the great Leslie West (Mountain) on guitar was the last of many AOR hits for Billy Joel, and is simply Billy at his rockin' best. "Piano Man" this ain't.

Okay, I'll admit that I'm partial to the Raleigh-based band Cry Of Love--I was living there at the time--but they were really good. This track, which topped the Billboard Top Rock Tracks chart for four weeks in the Fall of '93, was one of four AOR hits for the band. Only two of the band's CDs made an impact on the AOR world, though. Anyway, IMHO, this track deserves some high volume.

Billy Joel-No Man's Land-Lyrics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwvkDUZRiHc)

Cry Of Love - Peace Pipe - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8qStZpadV0)

As as always, Rock On, Redszone!

Adieu from R4Blue.

marcshoe
10-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Heard a song a couple of days ago that had been totally erased from my mind. I remember that I loved this song back in the day, but for some reason, I'd completely forgotten its existence.

1989, The Call "Let the Day Begin"

The Call - Let The Day Begin - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXywSZ-Zdmg)

marcshoe
10-16-2012, 08:53 PM
I loved Armchair Theatre and have been disappointed that it's not available on Rhapsody. My favorite tracks were "Nobody Home" and "Blown Away".

Revering4Blue
10-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Heard a song a couple of days ago that had been totally erased from my mind. I remember that I loved this song back in the day, but for some reason, I'd completely forgotten its existence.

The Call - Let The Day Begin - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXywSZ-Zdmg)

Great song that hit #1 on the Rock Tracks chart on 8/19/89. The Call were/are a seriously underrated band, even though the Critics loved them.

Revering4Blue
10-16-2012, 09:07 PM
I loved Armchair Theatre and have been disappointed that it's not available on Rhapsody. My favorite tracks were "Nobody Home" and "Blown Away".

It's on Grooveshark.com. It is a totally free site that I utilize all of the time.

KittyDuran
10-16-2012, 09:30 PM

When I think of The Call, it's this song...

The Call - The Walls Came Down - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kX8lqXAONg)

Then I think of this band and song... don't know why, maybe because the lyrics deal with grim reality.
BTW, I had a "mini" crush on the singer back in the day... :luvu:

DAVID & DAVID welcome to the boomtown HQ Hi-Fi - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYzPz4glEO0)

KittyDuran
10-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Always liked Matt Johnson, not just because he was the band "The The" (another double named band...hmmm... ;)) This is my favorite:

The The - Heartland - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txrILqlaUlE&feature=plcp)

Revering4Blue
10-16-2012, 09:46 PM
My fave Call song, also a big AOR hit.

The Call - I Still Believe (Great Design) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWhDbkTmJHA)

Also, David and David were criminally underrated, IMHO.

Sure, "Welcome To The Boomtown" and "Swallowed by the Cracks" are great songs and certainly qualify as lost AOR hits, but my favorite D&D track, also an AOR hit, is "Ain't So Easy."

Naturally, I cannot locate a video for "Ain't so Easy."

gilpdawg
10-17-2012, 02:44 AM
I've always liked that Cry of Love song. There's a plethora of bands in that 1991-1994ish period who just had one or two hits then fell off the face of the earth. Paw, Sweetwater, Sugartooth, Brother Cane and some more I can't remember right now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Captain13
10-17-2012, 10:20 AM
This shows me I need to look into The Call and Cry of Love. I was pretty self-absorbed in the late 80's and early 90's; if it didn't fit in my little box, it was garbage. Man, was I wrong. There was a lot of great stuff. I have found a lot of it, but there is a lot more to go.

Revering4Blue
10-26-2012, 09:12 PM
I'll resume my Lost Tracks entry as soon as the issue with posting Youtube links is resolved.

gilpdawg
10-27-2012, 01:28 AM
I'll resume my Lost Tracks entry as soon as the issue with posting Youtube links is resolved.
Oh, this better get fixed! This is my favorite thread on the entire board! :thumbup:

Revering4Blue
10-27-2012, 07:02 PM
No special theme for this week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week, just a handful of lost AOR hits.

Jeff Healey Band - Cruel Little Number (1992)

An underrated, though successful, Blues-Rock AOR act if there ever was one. Sadly, we lost Jeff to cancer in '08. For those of you unfamiliar with his story, Jeff was blind by age one, but still taught himself to play a mean guitar and he was also a strong vocalist.

According to the Billboard Weekly Top Rock Tracks Chart, this track, not his major Pop/AOR hit "Angel Eyes", was his biggest AOR hit, peaking at number 2 in late '92. Not to slight "Angel Eyes" at all, but at least a handful of his AOR hits, as forgotten as this track is, outperformed "Angel Eyes" on AOR radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT0EEkgAjNM

Hughes/Thrall - The Look In Your Eye (1982)

Hughes/Thrall - Beg, Borrow Or Steal (1982)

The great vocalist/bassist Glenn Hughes teamed up with Pat Travers Band guitarist Pat Thrall, who later joined Asia, for a self-titled LP in late '82.

This Arena Rock record was a few years ahead of it's time, and showcases the versatility of Hughes as a vocalist.

The first track was the bigger AOR hit of the two. But the second track may be more recognizable due to the light-to-moderate Pop/Top 40 airplay it received back then. I'll refer to this as a double-and-done--a step above one hit wonder -- meaning the aforementioned tracks were the only ones by the Artist to receive significant airplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dkYLUDoB6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFob_tcisD8

Alan Parsons Project - You Don't Believe (1983)

One of my favorite AOR hits from a band which clearly helped to define what was then known as the Progressive Rock genre. This track first appeared on The Best Of The Alan Parsons Project, and later appeared on the follow-up CD Ammonia Avenue.

Featuring many different musicians and vocalists, this band was a mainstay on AOR radio for years, also enjoying moderate success on Pop radio. Lenny Zakatek handles to vocals on this underrated, IMHO, track with vigor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylcHHb93GRo

Joe Jackson - One More Time (1979)

This track from the Look Sharp LP, which many will recognize from a recent Taco Bell commercial, was once in heavy AOR rotation along with Joe's big hit "Is She Really Going Out With Him."

IMHO, this track has held up much better than most, if not all, of Joe's material. Nevertheless, this track --all together now--receives little, if any, commercial AOR/Classic Rock Radio airplay today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6xqtVoD-R8

Adieu from R4Blue.

Captain13
11-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Here is my favorite Jeff Healey Band tune, with a little help from Mark Knopfler (who wrote the song) on guitar and vocals. My favorite Jeff Healey Band album is Cover to Cover. I don't know why but I can listen to that thing all day long.

Jeff Healey Band-I Think I Love You Too Much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVMbk7OvgpQ

Revering4Blue
11-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Here is my favorite Jeff Healey Band tune, with a little help from Mark Knopfler (who wrote the song) on guitar and vocals. My favorite Jeff Healey Band album is Cover to Cover. I don't know why but I can listen to that thing all day long.

Jeff Healey Band-I Think I Love You Too Much

"Confidence Man" is a good one, too. From the standpoint of AOR airplay today, either one of us could have picked any J.H track to feature. I like them all.

"I Think I Love You Too Much" peaked at #5 on the Billboard Rock Tracks chart in the Summer of '90, as the first of four AOR hits from the Hell To Pay CD.

I still cannot believe that the Cover To Cover CD, as awesome as it is, only produced one AOR hit: A really good cover of "Stuck In The Middle With You."

Captain13
11-05-2012, 04:26 PM
I still cannot believe that the Cover To Cover CD, as awesome as it is, only produced one AOR hit: A really good cover of "Stuck In The Middle With You."

I love the whole thing, but Angel and Jeff's version of Roadhouse Blues is awesome. It is very different from The Doors, but at the same time stays true.

Jeff was underappreciated throughout his entire lifetime, and will mostly be remembered as "the blind guy in Roadhouse".

Revering4Blue
11-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Bonham - Wait For You (1989)

Founded by Drummer Jason Bonham, John Bonham's son, the band Bonham released their debut album The Disregard Of Timekeeping in late 1989. The album went Gold and produced this huge AOR hit. No, that is not Robert Plant on vocals. The late Daniel MacMaster, who sounded an awful lot like Plant, IMO, was the real star, performing the vocals for this band.

Tracy Bonham - Mother Mother (1996)

This song, a very polarizing track back in the day, first produced a "meh" response from me, but has grown on me over the years. You either loved it or hated it. If nothing else, this track may elicit some discussion either way.

For the record, Tracy is no relation to John or Jason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV_-yRsP1uk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK0GgLKUU_I

Dire Straits - The Man's Too Strong - (1985)

IMHO, this track, which didn't receive as much AOR airplay as the AOR/Pop hits from the Brothers In Arms CD, is the standout of the CD, along with the title track. It's been years since I've heard it on commercial rock radio-a common trend here.

Dire Straits - Industrial Disease - (1982)

Perhaps my favorite Dire Straits track. From the Love Over Gold album, this was a big AOR hit in late '82. This album was the first to feature keyboardist Alan Clark, who really enhanced the band's sound, which was top-notch to begin with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVdB-UKfxD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWuc5kar3Y

Survivor - Broken Promises (1985)

This track from the superb Vital Signs CD, was one of the rare Survivor AOR hits that wasn't released as a single--translation: Pop/Top 40 stations didn't play it. Thus, it is largely forgotten by the masses, but not by yours truly, as it remains my absolute favorite Survivor track.

Pat Benatar - Promises In The Dark (1981)

Another notable RRHOF snub.

This former AOR hit, from the Precious Time LP, featuring an awesome Neal Geraldo--Pat's husband--guitar solo, along with Pat delivering her usual vocal "home run" performance , is, for my money, is right up there with "Hell Is For Children" as the best Pat Benatar song. Do you agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Gehyll9EI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuPFhDQRKzw

As always, Rock on, Redszone!

Adieu from R4Blue.

RichRed
11-09-2012, 10:25 PM
LOVE "The Man's Too Strong," along with "Why Worry?" from that album. "Walk of Life," "Money for Nothing" and "So Far Away" got most of the recognition, but it's the backup tracks that make Brothers in Arms so great. Nice one, R4B!

Dom Heffner
11-09-2012, 10:27 PM
You don't need to tell me about that Survivor song. Great stuff.

Dom Heffner
11-09-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't know how to post from YouTube, if I could I would do "I See You In Everyone."

As with most tracks on that album you can hear Mickey Thomas from Starship in the background. Ron Nevison was a great priducer.

Revering4Blue
11-09-2012, 10:49 PM
I don't know how to post from YouTube, if I could I would do "I See You In Everyone."

Simply post the link to the Youtube video's web page. That's all there is to it. Great song. Vital Signs is an awesome CD, but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtPWwTdHhoY

Revering4Blue
11-10-2012, 07:59 PM
It's about time.

Rush and Deep Purple have finally been nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Iconic British outfit Purple have been eligible for entry for 20 years while the Canadians have been eligible for 15. Both had been ignored up until 2013′s shortlist, with the subject a common one among fans and media alike.

They’re nominated alongside Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Procol Harum, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Albert King, Kraftwerk, Randy Newman, Donna Summer, Public Enemy, NWA, Chic, the Marvelettes and the Meters.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/rush-deep-purple-finally-nominated-for-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/

Revering4Blue
11-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Iommi (Featuring Dave Grohl) - Goodbye Lament (2000)

The only AOR solo hit for the legendary Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi, who featured various vocalists/musicians on his 2000 CD "Iommi" in addition to Dave Grohl. I'm not as familiar with this CD as I should be, as this track was played heavily and then seemingly vanished from Rock Radio. But it (Iommi's solo work) sounds like a good candidate for discussion and song postings on the Heavy Metal thread. <shameless plug>

Speaking of Black Sabbath...

Black Sabbath - Children Of The Sea (1980)

This lost Rock hit from the "Heaven And Hell" album features the late Ronnie James Dio--another vocalist who belongs in any "best Rock vocalist" discussion-- on vocals. Just as he always did with Rainbow and later as a solo artist, RJD really delivers here with Black Sabbath.

Nothing against Ozzy Osbourne, but I'd really like to know why Commercial Rock stations today conveniently ignore the RJD and Ian Gillian eras of Black Sabbath, especially when you factor in the no fewer than four RJD era tracks, this one included, that received significant airplay at one time.

Speaking of Rainbow..

Rainbow - Stone Cold (1982)

The answer to the question of which track is considered to be the signiture track, not necessarily the best, for the band Rainbow--fronted by former Deep Purple members Richie Blackmore and Roger Glover--is likely going to depend upon the preference of the band's lead singer.

Fans of the Ronnie James Dio era will answer with "Man On The Silver Mountain". "Since You Been Gone", originally titled "Since You've Been Gone", with Graham Bonnet on vocals, is another fan favorite. But, IMHO, "Stone Cold" --which hit #1 on Billboard's Rock Tracks chart in June of '82 -- is unquestionably the signiture track of vocalist Joe Lynne Turner's era with Rainbow and it appears, at least to me, to receive far less Rock Radio airplay as the aforementioned two Rainbow tracks. And, if I have to pick a favorite Rainbow track, this is it, though I'm fairly certain that not all, if any, Redzoners agree with me. Oh, well.

Speaking of "Since You've Been Gone"..

Head East -- Since You've Been Gone (1978)

Best known for the AOR hit "Never Been Any Reason" -- which is still a staple of Classic Rock Radio playlists today-- Iowa band Head East covered this Russ Ballard penned track a full year before Rainbow followed suit.

Head East's version also gained quite a bit of AOR airplay over the years, and actually came closer to reaching the Pop Top 40 as a single than Rainbow's version. That stated, I prefer the Rainbow version, but, IMHO, this version is still very good and worth a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebbRsps3p38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJQQWbr4cXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPwy9ToKHpo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJKZL1EKpdY

As always, rock on Redszone!

Adieu from R4Blue.

gilpdawg
11-17-2012, 09:10 PM
For metalheads I think Stargazer is the definitive Rainbow track. That song basically influenced every Euro Power band that followed.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Revering4Blue
11-17-2012, 09:55 PM
D'oh!

I completely forgot about "Stargazer" -- another fine example of today's limited playlists, though I'm not sure it ever received anywhere near the amount of airplay as "Man On The Silver Mountain" (not that it matters when measuring the awesomeness of the song.) If I'm not mistaken, the late Cozy Powell and Tony Carey were both members of Rainbow in those days.

cinredsfan2000
11-18-2012, 06:03 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the late Cozy Powell and Tony Carey were both members of Rainbow in those days.

No your not mistaken although carey only played on the Classic Rising album .Tony contributed a great keyboard intro on the album opener the song Tarot Woman.:thumbup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkanocYiQ1Q

Speaking about Tony Carey i submit the video of his solo project Planet P-Why me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svl1t4b1RD4

Revering4Blue
12-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Back to double-shots of lost AOR hits this week. You know the drill.

Krokus - Midnite Maniac (1984)

Along with the AC/DC-like track "Long Stick Goes Boom", this track from the album The Blitz was one of the biggest Rock Radio hits for this hard-rock band - I'm not sure I'd call them Metal - from Switzerland. A big Rock hit during my Junior H.S year in the Fall of '84.

Golden Earring - When The Lady Smiles (1984)

Yes, fellow Redzoners, the band Golden Earring - IMHO, totally underrated - impacted the AOR Radio World with tracks other than "Radar Love" and "Twilight Zone." While this track was a huge AOR hit in early '84, it was literally a here today, gone tomorrow situation. For further proof: This track peaked at #9, but it's life on the Billboard Top Rock Tracks, which consisted of 60 tracks at the time, only spanned two weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtQu2OdSO3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ1h23iC-6s

Screaming Trees - All I Know (1996)

This band - a product of the Grunge era - produced three AOR hits from two CDs, which were released four years apart, killing the band's momentum. This lost AOR track from the CD Dust proved to be the band's biggest hit, and also proved to be the last AOR hit for them. The band took forever to produce a follow up to Dust and ultimately broke up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6JC2jChudo

Gin Blossoms - Day Job (1996)

This was the follow-up on AOR radio to the Pop/AOR smash "Follow You Down" and is about as close to a straight-ahead rocker as the band would produce. Surprisingly, at their peak in popularity, the band broke up in the Spring of '97, but have since reunited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5eIJQ73QxM

Kansas - Fight Fire With Fire (1983)

At least to me, it seems as if any Kansas material from beyond the 1970's is ignored on Rock radio today. This was a huge AOR hit, and I consider it to be the signature track of the era of vocalist John Elefante, who replaced longtime vocalist/keyboardist Steve Walsh. Walsh returned in '86 for two CDs. The band experienced a brief resurgence in popularity before becoming a footnote in Rock And Roll History, though they have been continually snubbed by the RRHOF.

FWIW, I prefer this harder-edged track to "Dust In The Wind" - which I consider overrated - any day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajn_s6cxS64

Goanna - Solid Rock (1983)

This AOR one hit wonder is notable for two reasons.

* The band Goanna beat fellow Australian band Midnight Oil to the punch by about five years by addressing the plight of the Aborigines of Australia from the standpoint of Land rights in a song.

* It was the first Pop/AOR song to feature the use of a didgeridoo - A wind instrument developed by Indigenous Australians of northern Australia around 1,500 years ago and still in widespread use today both in Australia and around the world.

It was a ahead of it's time from the standpoint of being a bit heavy-handed in it's message, but if it indeed helped to pave the way for the band Midnight Oil, that's more than enough for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf0_m5oZW7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf0_m5oZW7c

As always, Rock on, Redszone!

Adieu from R4Blue.

Revering4Blue
12-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Speaking about Tony Carey i submit the video of his solo project Planet P-Why me

Good call.:thumbup:

camisadelgolf
12-03-2012, 01:06 AM
It's cool to see Screaming Trees mentioned as I just pulled them up on iPod yesterday. The Wurlitzer solo in "Sworn and Broken" by Benmont Tench (of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers) is one of my favorite solos of all-time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMNfTrLG380

Revering4Blue
12-17-2012, 08:59 PM
This may be old news, but just in case..

Nirvana recently reunited for drummer Dave Grohl's new documentary, "Sound City." Grohl, bassist Krist Novoselic and guitarist Pat Smear teamed up with Paul McCartney to record a new song, "Cut Me Some Slack," for the project and its companion soundtrack.

Here's the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBd9330h9kI

More Nirvana news...

Nirvana Open To David Lee Roth Fronted Tour.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/12/December/17Nirvana_Open_To_David_Lee_Roth_Fronted_Tour.shtm l

BTW, I'll post more Lost Rock Tracks whenever things -- I''ve been extremely busy -- start to slow down.