PDA

View Full Version : 16,909!

Jr's Boy
04-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Is that the best the city of Cincinnati can do?Versus the defending world champions/division rival?Maybe they need to print ''opening day''on every ticket from here on out.

jwmann2
04-09-2012, 11:45 PM
The city is a blue collar town, a lot of people have to be up at 5 or 6 am and the games end towards 11pm on some nights. Every friday and saturday night, the place is packed.

mroby85
04-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Is that the best the city of Cincinnati can do?Versus the defending world champions/division rival?Maybe they need to print ''opening day''on every ticket from here on out.

It's a complete joke, no excuse for it.

joshua
04-10-2012, 02:10 AM
It was a Monday night game. All the sales so far have been phenomenal from a Reds perspective. They sold out the first two games of the season for the first time since 1969. That's insane!

The first ever Sunday Night season opener in league history was also the worst attended opener ever at Riverfront, and it was because it took place on Easter Sunday...which is historically bad for ticket sales across the majors. This Easter's gate did very very well. That's a good omen for numbers the rest of the year.

Be patient. Many people burned some vacation time at work to attend two of the three games against the Marlins and they'll be back. If the Reds can do well on their road trip (Nats, Cards, Cubs) and then again back at home against the Giants during the week, the Fri, Sat and Sun games against the Astros will do good too and possibly sell out. In fact, the Reds should advertise it in a certain way "Come out to Great American and watch the Reds face the Astros for one of the last times before they head to the American League.' etc. etc. It'll all be fine.

arkimadee
04-10-2012, 03:17 AM
Last year the first weeknight game drew 11,821. Granted it was against Houston. But that's still a 5000 increase over last year.

Who Dey Time
04-10-2012, 09:06 AM
The attendance last night was very disappointing. There really is no other way to explain it.

texasdave
04-10-2012, 10:29 AM
The attendance last night was very disappointing. There really is no other way to explain it.

Yep. If this series was being played in Milwaukee or St. Louis there would have been 35,000 plus last night.

S.Wells
04-10-2012, 10:33 AM
I made it to opening day and will be at the game tonight. I have a 20 game season ticket package and plan on attending about 32 games total this year. I live in Southern Indiana and it's about a 2 hour drive 1 way for me. I just can't believe that there aren't more dedicated fans in Cincinnati! If I lived closer I would buy a full season ticker package. This team needs the fan support. Time for fans to pony up and attend some games. I am hopeful we will get over 20,000 tonight. Just blows my mind that I am willing to drive and pay $4 a gallon for gas but people that live close find excuses to not attend.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

izzy's dad
04-10-2012, 10:48 AM
I usually get to go to about 10 or so games a year. I have my third child on the way so I won't have the extra scratch to go to as many games this season. I live about an hour and a half north of Cinci, and a day at the ball park is expensive. I love the Reds, but financially I just can't swing 10-15 games this year. If I lived in the greater Cinci area I am still not sure if I could afford to go to many more games than I have planned to already. Some people just don't have the extra money to buy season tickets, pay for parking, gas, etc. I really hate having to feel guilty for not going to the ball park every day. If I could I would live at GABP, but I have to be content with watching the games on t.v.

brm7675
04-10-2012, 11:04 AM

Monday Night
School Night
and still got 5,000 more then same game last year...

joshua
04-10-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm in the same boat. 1.5 hours away and work 1-11pm six days a week. If I loved closer I'd spend my one day off entirely at the ballpark. I still listen to every game at work and watch every one that I can.

Who Dey Time
04-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Monday Night
School Night

Will St. Louis have 16,909 on a school night, Tuesday night next week? Of course not.

DocRed
04-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Even for a Monday 16,900 is a bad number. Especially considering it is the Cardinals in town. For comparison it was the 3rd worst out of 12 games attendance wise Monday. The Astro's had more people in their stands for God's sake.

DocRed
04-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Monday Night
School Night

You talking about the Pittsburgh game last year?

bounty37h
04-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Monday Night
School Night

Guess other cities didnt have school today or play Monday night games? 5k more against the WS champs and a heated rival in recent years vs P-burgh last year is a horrible comparison.

derbykid
04-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Thought I would do some research. I live in Louisville and have been a 20 game season ticket holder for 6 years. I started to feel guilty about not doing my part to help pay for the team. Hard to get up for all games, but I do give my tickets away when I can't go. I understand totally it's hard to get to games for the working family due to expense, but would have thought that Central Division foes would have higher attendance. Last night was a little disappointing to me. Based on other games (see below) we might want to pick up the pace with attendance.

Attendance numbers for Monday night:

LA @ Minnesota: 39,414
CWS @ Cle: 9,473
NYY @ Bal: 25,478
Bos @ Tor: 48,473
Sea @ Tex: 42,003
KC @ Oak: 10,054

Mia @ Phi: 45,574
SF @ Col: 49,282
Mil @ Chi: 38,136
St.@ Cin: 16,909
Wash@ NYM: 23,970
Atl@ Hou: 17,095

swaisuc
04-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Thought I would do some research. I live in Louisville and have been a 20 game season ticket holder for 6 years. I started to feel guilty about not doing my part to help pay for the team. Hard to get up for all games, but I do give my tickets away when I can't go. I understand totally it's hard to get to games for the working family due to expense, but would have thought that Central Division foes would have higher attendance. Last night was a little disappointing to me. Based on other games (see below) we might want to pick up the pace with attendance.

Attendance numbers for Monday night:

LA @ Minnesota: 39,414
CWS @ Cle: 9,473
NYY @ Bal: 25,478
Bos @ Tor: 48,473
Sea @ Tex: 42,003
KC @ Oak: 10,054

Mia @ Phi: 45,574
SF @ Col: 49,282
Mil @ Chi: 38,136
St.@ Cin: 16,909
Wash@ NYM: 23,970
Atl@ Hou: 17,095

Not hard to figure out. All the huge numbers are opening days. All the small ones are not. Possible exception being Texas who was in the last 2 WS.

Krawhitham
04-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Even for a Monday 16,900 is a bad number. Especially considering it is the Cardinals in town. For comparison it was the 3rd worst out of 12 games attendance wise Monday. The Astro's had more people in their stands for God's sake.

No one likes the Cards, the Cards do not draw extra attendance when they travel. People use to come to see Pujols, he is gone now. The cards have no superstars to drive road attendance

justincredible
04-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Cincinnati is the 27th largest metro area in the US. We don't have the population to pull from that most MLB cities have. I do think that 17k is too low but I'm not going to get upset that HOU had a few more people at their game when they have almost 3x our population (6.1m vs 2.1m).

cres36
04-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I agree that the attendance wasn't the greatest. however a lot of people are probably in the same boat that I am in. I bought one of the ticket packages and belong to the hall of fame and always end up buying even more tickets to other random games....but i also work full time 3-11pm and go to school during the day. I either watch or listen to almost every game. if i could attend every game i would be there but sometimes its just not possible to get to the ball park. If you want me there so bad i'll gladly take the free tickets and you can work my shift for me lol

markymark69
04-10-2012, 06:18 PM
I think its time for all us Reds fans to step up or shut up - last night's attendance was unacceptable, imo.

Swampturkey
04-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Gotta say, as an outsider, I was stunned when I turned on the game and saw so many empty seats, especially when it was said that it was 80 degrees out. Numbers at Busch are lower during weeknight games as opposed to weekends as well, but we still average well over 30,000 per game during week nights, 40,000+ on weekends. Not judging, just noticing.

Helms1
04-10-2012, 06:52 PM
OK, well we are all moving to Cincy so we can go to games. Who has an efficiency over the garage?

texasdave
04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
OK, well we are all moving to Cincy so we can go to games. Who has an efficiency over the garage?

Nobody is in Dusty's dugout, so far as I know, now that Juan Francisco has been traded away. I bet you can get a pretty good 6-month lease. :)

cw0802
04-10-2012, 09:49 PM
No one likes the Cards, the Cards do not draw extra attendance when they travel. People use to come to see Pujols, he is gone now. The cards have no superstars to drive road attendance

Yes. It's the Cardinals fault your attendance is horrible and has been. What was the excuse last year? Truth is, your club just committed $300m to two players they're going to have to trade because they won't be able to afford their contracts.

R_Webb18
04-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Yes. It's the Cardinals fault your attendance is horrible and has been. What was the excuse last year? Truth is, your club just committed $300m to two players they're going to have to trade because they won't be able to afford their contracts.

cool story

R_Webb18
04-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Gotta say, as an outsider, I was stunned when I turned on the game and saw so many empty seats, especially when it was said that it was 80 degrees out. Numbers at Busch are lower during weeknight games as opposed to weekends as well, but we still average well over 30,000 per game during week nights, 40,000+ on weekends. Not judging, just noticing.

no where close to 80 btw

cw0802
04-10-2012, 09:55 PM
cool story

The story is far more impressive than your fairweather fan support.

TheBigLebowski
04-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I live in Gainesville, Florida and go to as many Reds games as I can each year, despite the considerable expense involved.

That being said, I think the fans that chose to stay home the last two games made all of you (complaining) about the attendance in this thread look quite silly.

Want the fans to turn out? Freaking win. Play quality baseball. The games the last two nights have been absolute snoozers not to mention utterly and totally predictable. Reds fans see it coming - even the ones who don't demonstrate their prescience by posting on redszone.com. Win. Win. Hell, when we made the playoffs two years ago for the first time in what seems like 48 decades, we greeted the opportunity by getting no-hit - a sobering reminder to all of us that we were, indeed, still the Cincinnati Reds.

Win and win consistently, and the Joe six-packs of the Queen City will cough up the cash and make the dedicated effort to show up.

justincredible
04-10-2012, 10:24 PM
no where close to 80 btw

Yeah, it was in the 50s and windy. Not sure where he's getting 80s from.

Cicero2.0
04-10-2012, 11:44 PM

Hehe. I bet it stings when you see Pujols in an Angels uniform.

If we had lost Votto or Phillips and Pujols had stayed you would be boasting about how the clearly superior Cardinals are able to keep their stars.

As a Reds fan I would probably say the same thing if the situation were reversed, but I would say it on a Reds forum rather than trolling a Cardinals forum.

cw0802
04-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Hehe. I bet it stings when you see Pujols in an Angels uniform.

If we had lost Votto or Phillips and Pujols had stayed you would be boasting about how the clearly superior Cardinals are able to keep their stars.

As a Reds fan I would probably say the same thing if the situation were reversed, but I would say it on a Reds forum rather than trolling a Cardinals forum.

Actually, it doesn't sting at all. I saw his decline last season, and watched the Angels pay him for what he's done the past 11 years. He's going to have a tough time in LA when he starts his usual act and he gets boo'ed. People here gave him a pass when he tanked it. LA is far different.

That being said, no, I wouldn't be saying that at all. I've posted here the past two years, no trolling. Someone blamed the Cardinals for the Reds poor attendance. I simply stated your Reds won't be able to afford those two contracts if you continue to draw 16k. Geez, on the day Phillips signs, NOBODY comes out to support him or the club? Facts are facts.

R_Webb18
04-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Actually, it doesn't sting at all. I saw his decline last season, and watched the Angels pay him for what he's done the past 11 years. He's going to have a tough time in LA when he starts his usual act and he gets boo'ed. People here gave him a pass when he tanked it. LA is far different.

That being said, no, I wouldn't be saying that at all. I've posted here the past two years, no trolling. Someone blamed the Cardinals for the Reds poor attendance. I simply stated your Reds won't be able to afford those two contracts if you continue to draw 16k. Geez, on the day Phillips signs, NOBODY comes out to support him or the club? Facts are facts.

i mean its bad but we average more that 16k

DGullett35
04-11-2012, 12:16 AM
It's a Tuesday night in April..once the schools let out and its actually 70 degrees every night the people will come. O and Phillips didn't play tonight and probably isnt going to play until at least the weekend so why would people come out just to support a guy that isn't even in the lineup??

cw0802
04-11-2012, 12:18 AM
It's a Tuesday night in April..once the schools let out and its actually 70 degrees every night the people will come. O and Phillips didn't play tonight and probably isnt going to play until at least the weekend so why would people come out just to support a guy that isn't even in the lineup??

Because he's the face of the Reds. That's why.

mikemo14
04-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Management has definitely stepped up the pace since the offseason, should be time for the fans of Cincy to as well. I agree the more they win, the more fans will come, but sometimes having loud crowds behind you can create several wins a year. 17,000 should be at least 25,000.

1869's Original
04-11-2012, 12:52 AM
I made it to opening day and will be at the game tonight. I have a 20 game season ticket package and plan on attending about 32 games total this year. I live in Southern Indiana and it's about a 2 hour drive 1 way for me. I just can't believe that there aren't more dedicated fans in Cincinnati! If I lived closer I would buy a full season ticker package. This team needs the fan support. Time for fans to pony up and attend some games. I am hopeful we will get over 20,000 tonight. Just blows my mind that I am willing to drive and pay $4 a gallon for gas but people that live close find excuses to not attend.

I can't figure it out - I live in Chicago and I still manage to find my way down to the ballpark 20-30 times each year (not counting the games I see @ Wrigley). It's a shame that every game isn't sold out and I wish the city could band together and support this team just a little bit more - with the recent willingness of ownership to spend more on players, the club is close to reaching elite status in the majors.

DGullett35
04-11-2012, 02:37 AM
Because he's the face of the Reds. That's why.

I don't get it. The guy isn't playing at the moment. I understand he's the face of this franchise and all but are the fans going to pretend Willie Harris really isn't playind 2nd and batting leadoff?? When we get back from this long roadtrip Brandon will get the ovation he deserves. And he'll get it when he comes to the plate in the bottom of the first inning not when hes in his sweatshirt sitting next to Dusty on the bench eating some sunflower seeds.

10xWSChamps
04-11-2012, 04:19 AM

+1

Pujols and the faithful in LA will have many good times, but LA is also in for a rude awakening about Pujols' career zenith already being over and his oft-times surly attitude. By the time a 42 year old Pujols starts his last season there I think both sides will just be wanting it to end.

As for attendance, come on Cincy you can do better then this. Your club just put up $350 million to a few players recently. They reward you now you reward them.

WrightRed
04-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Made it to the game last night...had a good time besides the poor play. But it was freezing and windy, hard to criticize anyone for not wanting to be there.

Jr's Boy
04-11-2012, 11:15 AM
I love how the Cards front office had offered big bucks to a guy who would,according to Cards fan be declining in the coming years.It's like they just write the best hitter in the game off,like he did nothing for the city or team.Just wait till Beltran's knee's give out on him,Berkmans injury history.They will realize what they are missing in not ponying up the dough to keep Albert.

swaisuc
04-11-2012, 11:44 AM
I get frustrated being at a half-empty park a lot of nights too, but 2 decades of losing doesn't go away overnight for fans. If they (MGMT) keep doing what they're doing, the attendance will come back. It takes time to turn things around, even more so when you haven't won a playoff game in about 17 years.

winks
04-11-2012, 04:29 PM
i hope they dont put "opening day" on the tix me and 2 buddies drove 3 hours and spent 4 hrs downtown trying to get tix and 400 level seats were 5x face value, and they were probably fake. I do wish I could attend more but I cant. But I'll get to my 2 or 3 win or lose I love the redlegs

arkimadee
04-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Yay, a 10 game road trip so people will shut the hell up about attendance. It's up over last year for the first week. I go when I can and that's all I can control. I . The Cardinals have more fans that are interested in going to a baseball game than the Reds do and the attendance proves that. Theres not any more you can say about it. I wish I could give you a medal for it St. Louis, but I can't. If the Reds win a couple world series games, I'd say it would go up but not to the level of Cards attendance. Good for you St. Louis. You get better attendance. Historically, the Reds haven't been a middle drawing attendance team. Why would that change now. I just choose to not worry about it.

Razzle
04-11-2012, 05:48 PM
I love how the Cards front office had offered big bucks to a guy who would,according to Cards fan be declining in the coming years.It's like they just write the best hitter in the game off,like he did nothing for the city or team.Just wait till Beltran's knee's give out on him,Berkmans injury history.They will realize what they are missing in not ponying up the dough to keep Albert.

I'm not beginning to write off Pujols (at least not for another six or so years), but wouldn't not wanting to have a ton of money tied up in an injured player go AGAINST signing a 32 year old player to a ten year deal? Although he's been relatively injury free that is not likely to continue as he goes through his mid to late 30's. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him on the team for sentimental reasons, but I'd rather have Berkman, Beltran, and payroll flex for the next decade as opposed to Pujols and the replacement level player that evens out the two sides. While Pujols and the replacement player strategy will likely outproduce the other side for the next few years, the payroll flex down the road makes this a likely better move for the Cards.

LeDoux
04-11-2012, 06:06 PM
I think Cards fans over-estimate their support. If they were to go ten years without a competitive team and shrink the city to the size of Cincinnati- they would have the Astros’ attendance numbers, maybe worse. Many of those smug, "die hard" fans would turn to other forms of entertainment.

SweetLou1990
04-11-2012, 07:50 PM

Priceless. Just gave the Cards a World Series trophy, they don't pony up the $, and now he's "declining" and he was tanking ?

I'm sorry it stings so much - its not your fault.

Cicero2.0
04-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Priceless. Just gave the Cards a World Series trophy, they don't pony up the $, and now he's "declining" and he was tanking ?

I'm sorry it stings so much - its not your fault.

That's the thing that cracks me up. Suddenly Pujols is over the hill and has a bad attitude simply because he isn't a Cardinal anymore.

jwmann2
04-12-2012, 03:02 PM
It was a Monday night game. All the sales so far have been phenomenal from a Reds perspective. They sold out the first two games of the season for the first time since 1969. That's insane!

The first ever Sunday Night season opener in league history was also the worst attended opener ever at Riverfront, and it was because it took place on Easter Sunday...which is historically bad for ticket sales across the majors. This Easter's gate did very very well. That's a good omen for numbers the rest of the year.

Be patient. Many people burned some vacation time at work to attend two of the three games against the Marlins and they'll be back. If the Reds can do well on their road trip (Nats, Cards, Cubs) and then again back at home against the Giants during the week, the Fri, Sat and Sun games against the Astros will do good too and possibly sell out. In fact, the Reds should advertise it in a certain way "Come out to Great American and watch the Reds face the Astros for one of the last times before they head to the American League.' etc. etc. It'll all be fine.

They have been. But I've seen the Astros plenty enough. Plus they're god awful.

jwmann2
04-12-2012, 08:00 PM

Man, that's great. I live an hour away and find myself always complaining about the drive. I plan on moving to Covington in the next year though. All the same, I plan on purchasing a season ticket package as well. Why not? I already watch every single game every night.