PDA

View Full Version : Possible Trades?

joshua
04-13-2012, 03:27 AM
It's pretty obvious that this club is going to need help from a few areas: Lefty bench bat, OF bat and definitely in the bullpen. And with Votto and Phillips both extended, there's a few guys in the minors who are now as expendable as Alonso was.

So who could we trade for? I know that with the middle infielders we have in the farm system and guys like Stubbs who are promising we could get a decent return...

DGullett35
04-13-2012, 03:50 AM
I agree 100%. I think we could get a decent return with a package of Stubbs, Hamilton, and possibly Bailey. Ive been a big Bailey supporter but I think a change of scenery would do him wonders, and with how dominating Chapmans been to start 2012 I would love to see what he could do for 5, 6, or 7 innings. I think we need to adress the RH bat situation. I know we need a LH bat off the bench but I feel a greater concern is a RH bat that can hit 4th in this lineup. I also wish that we could have signed Coco Crisp. I kno some who may not think that would have been a good move but I think it would have been. He could have played CF and he could have been our answer to the leadoff situation. Also Phillips could have hit 4th with him in the lineup. Stubbs could have been the 4th OF which I think at this stage in his career thats what would be best for this team. I don't know of any players we could get right off hand but I'm with you 100% we need to make a move now, and not wait till the deadline. I'm all for waiting a little bit since the season is so young but there are areas I feel that will hurt us not just now, but for the rest of the year.

lidspinner
04-13-2012, 08:26 AM
I am not disagreeing with y'all at all....I just really think we still have what it takes to win at this level.....we have a darn good team that is capable if winnning the central.....look, every team out there has issues, you almost cannot find me a team that does not need a few spots to make their team a contender....its early in the year and we are still trying to get in the groove, lets give this team 40 games then see where we are at.....we could get hot and start winning 3 out of every 4 games and then everyone will relax a little...

with that said, I agree we need a few spots and waiting till the all star break is probably not a good thing....we must find that CF'er of the future, Drew is that guy but if he cannot get it together by the end of May then he must either move to Heisey's spot and let Chris start out there or Drew needs to be packaged in a trade.....I also ageree that Homer needs a fresh new atmosphere....I think Homer has what it takes to be a 4-5th starter in this league, I think he needs to pitch in a pitcher friendly park like Petco or somewhere like that.....even if chapman stays on as a long guy or that stop gap for the 7th and 8th inning, there are starting options out there via the trade, in the minors or via Roy Oswalt......

we all have seen MLB level players look like little league kids out there making mistakes and looking at 3rd strikes with the bat on their shoulders only to turn around and look like future hall of famers the next night.....we need to give this team the chance to be the team we all thought they were.....the future looks bright, we just need to give it a month, or give the team a few more options....but I am not ready to ship Homer and Drew away right now unless they continue on the path that I think they are on....I know we all have been waiting a long time for it to happen but its all we can do right now...we are not going to get a good return on those players at this time, wait it out and see what happens.....worse case is we drop them and move on, I dont see that as being so bad....

SidneySlicker
04-13-2012, 09:30 AM
This team has started slow offensively the last few seasons. I wouldn't worry too much. For as much crap as they take they've been at the top of the league the last few years in runs produced.

It's early. The law of averages will play out. Just look at the Cardinals. Furcal hasn't played more than 200 games in the last two years. So does anyone believe he's really going to go all season playing the way he has? It's too early to make rash moves. If you want to make a rash move. Put Chapman in the starting rotation where he belongs.

will5979
04-13-2012, 09:37 AM
I understand it's early, but I don't want to dig to big a hole that we can't gt out of it. Like I said in another thread if my team is below .500 I panic whether it's April or August, sorry but I place major emphasis on winning and being above .500. With those 2 goals you should be able to win the division.

SidneySlicker
04-13-2012, 09:51 AM
I understand it's early, but I don't want to dig to big a hole that we can't gt out of it. Like I said in another thread if my team is below .500 I panic whether it's April or August, sorry but I place major emphasis on winning and being above .500. With those 2 goals you should be able to win the division.

With all due respect that's a little silly, because despite how poorly they've played, if they win today they'll still be .500.

will5979
04-13-2012, 09:57 AM
With all due respect that's a little silly, because despite how poorly they've played, if they win today they'll still be .500.

I'm OCD, I can't help it. I really stress when this team is below .500. That's why during the lost decade I usually stopped watching the team by memorial day.

Sir Luke
04-13-2012, 10:03 AM
With Phillips and Votto locked up it would be nice to loosen our collar and trade away some money. Sadly, nobody is out shopping for guys like Arroyo. We need lefties and I want to hold on to Stubbs, he has upside and speed is very valuable not to mention his great glove. The answer is not trading as of right now, not much of what we need is available within reason. Wait until the season is over and the large contracts of Arroyo and Rolen will be up.

will5979
04-13-2012, 10:24 AM
With Phillips and Votto locked up it would be nice to loosen our collar and trade away some money. Sadly, nobody is out shopping for guys like Arroyo. We need lefties and I want to hold on to Stubbs, he has upside and speed is very valuable not to mention his great glove. The answer is not trading as of right now, not much of what we need is available within reason. Wait until the season is over and the large contracts of Arroyo and Rolen will be up.

Arroyo has proven his value to the reds. With rolen what you have to ask was 2010 really worth paying all this money for a has been 3bman that basically gave us may and June 2010 production but nothing since? If you ask me I say no.

Z-Fly
04-13-2012, 11:36 AM
If the right trade is out there, they should make it. That should be the case no matter what the date.

That being said, I think The Reds would have to overpay to get a trade though at this point.

Sir Luke
04-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Arroyo has proven his value to the reds. With rolen what you have to ask was 2010 really worth paying all this money for a has been 3bman that basically gave us may and June 2010 production but nothing since? If you ask me I say no.

Arroyo HAD value. Now his value is much less significant and we have little room in our rotation for a crafty right hander. He is a guy I'd like to keep simply because of his past in the organization but he is not worth his pay check, that's my point. And for Rolen, I agree, he is well past his prime and somewhat injury prone. He is, as well, not worth his pay check but a player I would like to see on the roster next year.
With those contracts gone we can afford to trade some of the young talent for a lefty bat, bullpen, or whatever else. Maybe even sign whatever is available come free-agency