PDA

View Full Version : Colin Cowherd on Joey Votto

arkimadee
04-13-2012, 12:55 PM
He says the Joey Votto deal is the worst deal in the history of Major League baseball. He compares it to the A-Rod deal talking about how A-Rod is just a good player now and he still has six years left on this deal. Just thought I'd pass that along.

bmwreds31
04-13-2012, 12:59 PM
worst deal ever. That man is a dumdum and has always been like this. He hates on everything and thats pretty much what he does. He does it for ratings and im past buying into it.

jhu1321
04-13-2012, 01:02 PM
He doesn't know anything about baseball.

Sir Luke
04-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Colin Cowherd is an absolute idiot. He knows next to nothing about sports. He makes ridiculous claims to come across as being knowledgable. He doesn't belong on television or the radio. He should be no more respected than a middle school newspaper journalist. I thought he was a moron before he ever said anything about Votto. And beyond that he has a whining little girl's voice.

justincredible
04-13-2012, 01:23 PM
I remember CC ripping on Votto during his MVP season saying he didn't deserve it because he's a product of GABP. Um, no, Colin. Look at his splits, he had better numbers on the road. He lost any and all credibility at that point and I no longer view his opinion as anything more than a source of laughs.

wvreds
04-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Cant stand Cowherd..... he thinks he knows everything and that people actually value his opinion

R_Webb18
04-13-2012, 01:27 PM
omg i hate him and skip b but i still listen/watch both lol

redsman344
04-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Cowherd is absolutely HORRIBLE. His show is a joke unless your a fan of a big market club. He hates everything to do with any kind of small market team in any sport. I'm also a Buffalo Bills fan and he had nothing but bad things to say abouts the signing of Mario Williams. This isn't the time or place to discuss that but as a long tortured season ticket holder (I'm sure many Bengals fans on this board can relate) I was thrilled to see the team make such a drastic move to try and improve a bad defense, even if they had to overpay. If the Yankees, Sox, or Dodgers would've signed Votto to that contract Cowherd would say it was the best move for any of those teams in they're history.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

wvreds
04-13-2012, 01:31 PM
The only reason I watch him is to watch Beadle!!!!!!

BuckeyeRed27
04-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Good thing Dan Patrick is on at the same time.

The DARK
04-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Could it work out badly for us in the long run? Perhaps. Could it be, in retrospect, the worst deal of all time? Perhaps. But making that assertion right now is sensationalist reporting, and it's rather annoying to see him as one of the most popular ESPN commentators.

Sir Luke
04-13-2012, 01:43 PM
On a baseball intilligence scale ranging from Milton Bradly to Bobby V, I would rate Cowherd right after Gene Simmons.

dubc47834
04-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Unless you are Tom Brady's dong, he has nothing nice to say!!!!! He loves himself some Tom Brady!!!
:beerme::mooner::luvu:

Bob Sheed
04-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Well if you were looking at things from a "moneyball" perspective, then the Votto signing is a terrible deal for the Reds.

But with the juicy new TV contracts, I think "moneyball" might be a bit of an outdated strategy. Ratings, and attendance now seem paramount. With that in mind, probably the best two things the Reds could have done is resign Votto and Phillips.

Cowherd is about as low as they come anyway...

OGB
04-13-2012, 02:45 PM
You could have told me that Paris Hilton thinks the Joey Votto signing is the worst ever and I would have given it the same regard.

Cowherd is a moron who frequently hates on Cincinnati and other small market teams. I've literally heard him say he has no interest in seeing small market teams and non traditional college powers compete for championships. Why does anybody want to listen to someone who holds such idiotic opinions?

stevekun
04-13-2012, 04:42 PM
If he thinks its a bad deal then it means its a great deal. Good news for us

redsfanmia
04-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Not sure if it is the worst deal in the history of baseball but I am sure it will rank in the top 10 of the worst deals ever.

coach23
04-13-2012, 04:54 PM
He always makes very bold statements just like the Votto comment. If he is wrong he will somehow turn it around and act like he never said such a comment. Just this year alone he has switched opinions on the Lakers 4 times. Their good, no their terrible, now their good again, no now their too old to compete for a title, now they're a wise veteran team that will suprise teams. He did it with the Pats last year as well. The start of the year, they are the team to beat, half way through the year they wouldn't win a playoff game because of their D, after they beat the Ravens he says their defense is a top 10 defense.

Could the deal for Votto end up being a bad deal, absolutely, but if it ends up a great deal the Reds win a couple WS, he will never admit that he said it was a bad deal.

DaytonFlyer
04-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Not sure if it is the worst deal in the history of baseball but I am sure it will rank in the top 10 of the worst deals ever.

Not even close.

Three words: Chan Ho Park.

RedsfaninMT
04-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Funny how he changed the pronunciation of his last name after gaining more fame. Couldn't stand being called what he is "Coward!"

I gave up listening to him entirely a couple years ago. Thankfully, as someone else already pointed out, Dan Patrick is significantly better than Coward will ever become. You gotta love Dan's Wall of Morale.

64red
04-13-2012, 08:11 PM
I have never seen or heard Colon Cowherd. However; he sounds like an idiot. I think I will continue not listening.

DirtyBaker
04-13-2012, 09:10 PM
If he thinks its a bad deal then it means its a great deal. Good news for us

Was going to post the exact same thing. Cowherd is on Kornheiser level of sports knowledge. From someone who watches Votto night in night out, he's worth every penny.

DGullett35
04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
I agree these comments are just to spike the ratings

UCBrownsfan
04-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Relax, he wasn't picking on Joey, he was picking on all long-term big $$ contracts, and said it's even worse when a small market does it.

Sir Luke
04-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the laugh... :lol:

markymark69
04-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Colin Cowherd is an absolute idiot. He knows next to nothing about sports. He makes ridiculous claims to come across as being knowledgable. He doesn't belong on television or the radio. He should be no more respected than a middle school newspaper journalist. I thought he was a moron before he ever said anything about Votto. And beyond that he has a whining little girl's voice.

Could not agree with you more. I haven't listened to him since he started in on Votto two years ago. He makes fun of the local "meatballs" as he calls them and used to say he was big boy radio - but yet I bet he couldn't name 10 guys on the Reds team - if he is big boy radio as he claims - he should know that and he doesn't.

Of course my local sports station doesn't ESPN radio anymore and I have to say I don't miss it at all.

With ESPN - if it ain't New York and Boston - they ain't interested.

markymark69
04-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Relax, he wasn't picking on Joey, he was picking on all long-term big $$ contracts, and said it's even worse when a small market does it.

And he'd be the first guy to bang on the Reds for not trying to sign to Votto because they are cheap.

RedsBrick
04-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Cowherd's job is to push people's buttons.

I would say the worst deal in major league history was the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth.

Assembly Hall
04-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Relax everybody. I actually like his show. Some of you have touched on it...it is his schtick. He antagonizes and people listen. They are in the ratings business.......poor ratings, no show. I wouldnt lose any sleep over what he has to say. I think he is quite humorous.

RedsfaninMT
04-14-2012, 11:22 AM
I refuse to listen to Coward, mainly because I think he makes statements for one purpose - to rile people up and boost his ratings. I know that's how he gets paid, but he could just try to intelligently discuss an issue every once in a great while. To me, when I listened, it seemed he picked a side he thought would get the most people in an uproar, not necessarily what he actually believed to be true on an issue or how he might have actually felt about something.

But I had a choice, and I made it. I either listen to mlb network radio or Dan Patrick. I simply stopped listening to Collin. Haven't heard a word from him in over a year and don't plan to listen to him again.

redsfanmia
04-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the laugh... :lol:

Its a great deal for like 5 years but when Joe is taking up 1/3 of the payroll in 6 or 7 years then you will agree with me.

mlh1981
04-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Anyone who disagrees with him is a local meatball who has never been out of their hometown, lives in mom's basement, eats hot pockets, and makes out with their forearm. :D

Magdal
04-15-2012, 07:21 AM
He always makes very bold statements just like the Votto comment. If he is wrong he will somehow turn it around and act like he never said such a comment. Just this year alone he has switched opinions on the Lakers 4 times. Their good, no their terrible, now their good again, no now their too old to compete for a title, now they're a wise veteran team that will suprise teams. He did it with the Pats last year as well. The start of the year, they are the team to beat, half way through the year they wouldn't win a playoff game because of their D, after they beat the Ravens he says their defense is a top 10 defense.

Could the deal for Votto end up being a bad deal, absolutely, but if it ends up a great deal the Reds win a couple WS, he will never admit that he said it was a bad deal.Don't waste time hating Cowherd....his words are not his own. He's not a sports writer, he's a media talking head. Everything he spouts is scripted by writers...he's too busy with all of his different shows to keep track of the entire sports world.

He doesn't even remember from show to show what his previous stance was, as in the Laker thing you mentioned.

Skip Bayless is different. He's a bona fide writer who can go back and forth with any other writer or athlete. All Colin does is spout, with no opposition. I think that chick on the TV show knows more about sports than he.

DocRed
04-15-2012, 08:12 AM
When Michelle Beadle leaves ESPN no one will watch his show...and that's a fact.

Assembly Hall
04-15-2012, 08:52 AM
When Michelle Beadle leaves ESPN no one will watch his show...and that's a fact.

He had his radio show long before Beadle came along. He has survived due to ratings, pure and simple.

DocRed
04-15-2012, 09:51 AM
He had his radio show long before Beadle came along. He has survived due to ratings, pure and simple.

TV is far different than radio. Why do you think they are grooming Charissa Thompson to take Beadle's place? He cannot survive on TV by himself and ESPN knows it.

DaytonFlyer
04-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Its a great deal for like 5 years but when Joe is taking up 1/3 of the payroll in 6 or 7 years then you will agree with me.

Because historically, MLB payrolls have remained static for a 5-6 year period. Great point.

Oh, wait....