PDA

View Full Version : Dusty can't be serious

brm7675
04-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Mark Sheldon had this on his blog and after reading it my head almost exploded...

*Dusty Baker was asked about his concern over Brandon Phillips’ left hamstring, especially after he had to move slowly up the line while hitting into two double plays on Wednesday. There isn’t consideration at the moment to put Phillips on the DL.

“There’s always concern,” Baker said. “I don’t know anybody that hasn’t played with a hammy or a quad or something. You could put him on the DL and you still won’t know when [it will be all better]. That’s the thing about baseball, once you hurt something, it usually stays hurt a long time. You don’t have a week [between games] to recuperate. There’s concern. That’s why I told him to play smart with your stride. Have no sudden stops or starts. If you’re out on a double play, just be out so you can play again. I told him if they boo you for not hustling, don’t pay attention to them because you want to play another day.

“I’ve never been on the DL so I gave him instruction on how to play hurt. When he was out, everybody was asking when he would come back and how come he’s not back yet? Now everybody is asking if there is any fear of hurting him. You can’t have it both ways.”

*The Reds are 1-5 on the road trip and need a win today to avoid a sweep.

Stray
04-19-2012, 04:27 PM
If Phillips couldn't go he wouldn't be in there. I thought we should have put him on the DL as well but I'm not gonna complain if he says he can play.

brm7675
04-19-2012, 04:56 PM
If Phillips couldn't go he wouldn't be in there. I thought we should have put him on the DL as well but I'm not gonna complain if he says he can play.

You never leave it up to the player..heck they would play even if it ment say cutting off your finger so you could stay in the game. That is what a manager does...but then again look who are manager is...:thumbdown:

Stray
04-19-2012, 04:58 PM
You never leave it up to the player..heck they would play even if it ment say cutting off your finger so you could stay in the game. That is what a manager does...but then again look who are manager is...:thumbdown:

Phillips took himself out of the game when he injured it. Gamers will naturally want to play but he knows his body better than anyone else.

If he can't run like usual but can still do the rest I'll live with the results.

texasdave
04-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Phillips took himself out of the game when he injured it. Gamers will naturally want to play but he knows his body better than anyone else.

If he can't run like usual but can still do the rest I'll live with the results.

I think it is so early in the season that he should have been placed on the 15-day DL and come back 100%. Phillips is not so special a player that he can cost this team an out a game and come out ahead in value. I think he probably cost one out when they had to send Mesoraco. And then grounded into two double plays the next game because he couldn't go hard down the line. Outs are valuable. Is Brandon's bat really that good that you fritter those outs away? Everyone understands that he wants to play. That is admirable. Is it worth it to the team though? Then add on the risk that it may turn into something a lot more serious. Nope. Brandon, you gotta sit. It is all water under the bridge now. Dusty has proclaimed, "D*mn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!".

brm7675
04-19-2012, 06:19 PM

Gee the Cards had no problem putting one of their top run producers/players on the DL? Why? Because they know the body needs time to heal and especially with what Phillips has, there is a very good chance of making it worse, especially with his style of play. What happens if he tears it...so long for the season...then what do the Reds do?:confused: