PDA

View Full Version : Why no chapman today?

bmwreds31
04-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Just curious considering he hadnt pitched but one time since when..saturday or sunday.

Joesh
04-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Cuz Marshall is the closer so he's the only pitcher you can expect to see on a nearly everyday basis, Chapman always gets at least 1 day off.

R_Webb18
04-26-2012, 07:18 PM
ppl need to realize other ppl have to pitch.

brm7675
04-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Reds have said I think that they won't use Chapman back to back and with Logan pitching strong today there was no reason.

GoReds19
04-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Because Logan pitched well and Marshall is the closer.

DGullett35
04-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Because Logan pitched well and Marshall is the closer.

Exactly^..Chapman wasn't needed since Logan pitched a very good 1.2 Marshall will be fine. Blown saves are apart of the season. Not every closer can have a 2011 Valverde season. At least this one was in April and not September with us fighting for a playoff spot. However I wouldn't be opposed to have Chapman and Marshall share closer duties but that will never happen because teams need to announce only one closer to reduce the fan and media confusion and complaining.

R_Webb18
04-27-2012, 02:16 AM
Exactly^..Chapman wasn't needed since Logan pitched a very good 1.2 Marshall will be fine. Blown saves are apart of the season. Not every closer can have a 2011 Valverde season. At least this one was in April and not September with us fighting for a playoff spot. However I wouldn't be opposed to have Chapman and Marshall share closer duties but that will never happen because teams need to announce only one closer to reduce the fan and media confusion and complaining.

its kinda crazy how valverde lucked his way thru a perfect season

texasdave
04-27-2012, 03:59 AM
Brad Lidge had a perfect season, including post-season, back in 2008 I am pretty sure.

texasdave
04-27-2012, 04:01 AM
Doug Jones had success as a closer throwing in the 60's and 70's. MPH not decades.

texasdave
04-27-2012, 04:04 AM
Looks like Cordero might be the new Toronto closer. Two saves in the past 5 days.

His first save was typical Coco:

ground out
walk
double
single
double play

bmwreds31
04-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Well im of the opinion that The chapman marshall combo is Best. Going from a 98mph heater to a 75mph looping curveball is pretty tough.

This could be the first we see of our MADSON injury really biting us in the ass.

Girevik
04-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Well im of the opinion that The chapman marshall combo is Best. Going from a 98mph heater to a 75mph looping curveball is pretty tough.

This could be the first we see of our MADSON injury really biting us in the ass.

If you're pitching them back to back, how likely is it that the two will face the same hitters? If so, it means one of them is getting rocked, so it becomes pretty moot at that point.

bmwreds31
04-27-2012, 11:48 AM
If you're pitching them back to back, how likely is it that the two will face the same hitters? If so, it means one of them is getting rocked, so it becomes pretty moot at that point.

true. ^ i guess its slightly a mental thing for the whole team in general.

After watching marshall last night im just not sure of him in the closer spot. I dont think he throws hard enough.

Big Red Hoss
04-27-2012, 11:53 AM
true. ^ i guess its slightly a mental thing for the whole team in general.

After watching marshall last night im just not sure of him in the closer spot. I dont think he throws hard enough.

Im not sure its a matter of throwing hard enough. You want a guy who can throw strikes. Marshall has proved for several years he can throw strikes and get people out. Thats what you want. Chapman has proved for 2 months that he can throw strikes. Might not be enough to put him in that pressure role.

That being said I would rather see a guy throw a 98 mph fast ball in the 9th then a 78 MPH curve ball backed by a mid 80's fastball.

lidspinner
04-27-2012, 03:07 PM
I hate having one main guy as the closer, hated it since I was a kid and still can't understand why you want your best guy pitching the bottom of the 9th if its the 7-8-9 hitter when in the 8th you needed him for the top of opposing teams lineup. Just makes no sense.

New York Red
04-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Looks like Cordero might be the new Toronto closer. Two saves in the past 5 days.

His first save was typical Coco:

ground out
walk
double
single
double play
I don't miss those Coco saves!