PDA

View Full Version : Reds attendance predictions

guernsey
03-01-2003, 11:06 AM
OK, season ticket sales have been brisk and individual game tickets are going like hotcakes this morning.

macro
03-01-2003, 11:46 AM
I really don't see how anyone can predict them to have less than 3 million in attendance. To have total attendance of 3 million, they would have to average 37,037 for the 81 dates. That would leave an average of 5,000 empty seats per game! Yes, there may be some games of 32,000 (although it's hard for me to imagine there being 10,000 empty seats for ANY game at GAB this year), but there will also be several sellouts of 42,000, which would keep the average at 37,000.

I may be looking through rose-colored glasses, I don't know. I guess we'll know soon enough.

cincinnati chili
03-01-2003, 01:38 PM
Am I correct that their all-time high was 2.6 or so, back when the city had a larger population and the Big Red Machine was in full swing?

I think 2.6-2.9 is accurate, with attendance falling under 2.2 next year if the Reds don't contend

y2kz3
03-01-2003, 01:48 PM
After attending season after season, it's as easy to imagine 15,000 empty seats but just looking around during most games, even when we were on top of the division last year. For some reason, people don't come to see the Reds to the tune of 30,000 plus per game. They see to come out to see the other team, which drives our local attendance for limited games. Sad, but I hope the new stadium turns all that around.

I'd love more people to get out and see a game, and do hope they get 2.3 to 2.6 million.

Having two spring training exhibition games may not count toward regular season sales, but was a great move by the Reds to generate more ticket revenue.

Raisor
03-01-2003, 01:52 PM
It's pretty simple, the new stadium will help (I forget what the capacity is), but if the team doesn't win, people won't come.

PSR

Chip R
03-01-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by cincinnati chili
Am I correct that their all-time high was 2.6 or so, back when the city had a larger population and the Big Red Machine was in full swing?

I think 2.6-2.9 is accurate, with attendance falling under 2.2 next year if the Reds don't contend Yeah. The Reds drew around 2.6M in 1976 and in 2000. Now in 76 they counted asses in the seats only and not tickets sold like they have for several years now. So actual attendence in 76 could have been around 3M.

I predicted a few years ago - even before Jr. - that the Reds would draw 3M in the new stadium. I'm not so sure now with the economy being on the skids and a possible war in the future. But I think it will be over 2.6 at the very least.

guernsey
03-02-2003, 08:30 AM
Even with the lure of the GAB, the Reds will be doing good to break 25,000 on weekdays in April (and perhaps May) when schools are still in session.

REDREAD
03-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Well, in 2000, when the Reds were coming off a near playoff appearance and the acquision of Jr, they drew about 2.6 million..

I would think that's the ceiling for this year. So I will pick 2.3-2.6
million.

I really don't think a new stadium (with higher prices) is going to draw the Cincy market as well as adding Jr and coming off a very exciting 1999 season.. Especially when the offseason really didn't give the fans anything to get juiced about (in terms of improving the W-L record).

But I do hope I am wrong, and they draw 3 million.