PDA

View Full Version : 5/1/2012 Reds vs Little Bears

cumberlandreds
05-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Here's the Reds lineup via baseballpress.com. I was looking at the radar earlier today and it looked like rain could be a problem tonight. How's it looking in Cincy right now?

. Zack Cozart (R) SS (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=cozarza01&year=Career&t=b)
2. Drew Stubbs (R) CF (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=stubbdr01&year=Career&t=b)
3. Joey Votto (L) 1B (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=vottojo01&year=Career&t=b)
4. Brandon Phillips (R) 2B (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=phillbr01&year=Career&t=b)
5. Jay Bruce (L) RF (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=bruceja01&year=Career&t=b)
6. Scott Rolen (R) 3B (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=rolensc01&year=Career&t=b)
7. Chris Heisey (R) LF (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=heisech01&year=Career&t=b)
8. Ryan Hanigan (R) C (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=hanigry01&year=Career&t=b)
9. Bronson Arroyo (R) P (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=arroybr01&year=Career&t=b)

klw
05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
I was looking at the radar earlier today and it looked like rain could be a problem tonight. How's it looking in Cincy right now?

Looks like there are a few storms popping in Kentucky at the moment. Here is the current NWS forecast.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Cincinnati&state=OH&site=ILN&textField1=39.0992&textField2=-84.5175&e=0

This Afternoon: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 77. South wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63. South wind between 5 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

cumberlandreds
05-01-2012, 02:55 PM
If that one big patch rain goes east the game should be OK. If it goes south then it may be in trouble.

traderumor
05-01-2012, 03:35 PM
that stuff in Indy looks pretty nasty

Kc61
05-01-2012, 04:10 PM
I have to laugh, it was so predictable that Stubbs would hit second tonight.

I wish somebody could explain why they removed him from the second spot last week. It was working. So he went back to leadoff and he slumped again.

After a tough game Sunday, I kind of figured Drew would hit second tonight. Hey Reds, Drew gets good pitches hitting second. He's coming off a tough year and can do damage in the two spot. Leave him there. Thanks for your time.

edabbs44
05-01-2012, 04:55 PM
I have to laugh, it was so predictable that Stubbs would hit second tonight.

I wish somebody could explain why they removed him from the second spot last week. It was working. So he went back to leadoff and he slumped again.

After a tough game Sunday, I kind of figured Drew would hit second tonight. Hey Reds, Drew gets good pitches hitting second. He's coming off a tough year and can do damage in the two spot. Leave him there. Thanks for your time.

Maybe because it wasn't working for Cozart?

Kc61
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM

Probably correct. With Drew "back on track" Dusty probably thought Cozart was slumping and could benefit from the two slot.

Given Drew's very tough 2011, I just think the decision was hasty. Drew needs the reps in that two spot, let him see good pitches and regain his confidence. He also can do more damage in the spot, Drew has the power.

Let's hope both Cozart and Stubbs do well in the next stretch of games and solidify the top of the order, one way or the other.

VottoFan54
05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Cubbies lineup:

1. David DeJesus (L) RF
2. Tony Campana (L) CF
3. Starlin Castro (R) SS
4. Bryan LaHair (L) 1B
5. Alfonso Soriano (R) LF
6. Ian Stewart (L) 3B
7. Blake DeWitt (L) 2B
8. Geovany Soto (R) C
9. Jeff Samardzija (R) P

Nasty_Boy
05-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Probably correct. With Drew "back on track" Dusty probably thought Cozart was slumping and could benefit from the two slot.

Given Drew's very tough 2011, I just think the decision was hasty. Drew needs the reps in that two spot, let him see good pitches and regain his confidence. He also can do more damage in the spot, Drew has the power.

Let's hope both Cozart and Stubbs do well in the next stretch of games and solidify the top of the order, one way or the other.

To make it fair they should alternate every other game. :D

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 06:38 PM
It looks like the first round of heavy rain is almost through the area but there is a small break and then a second round coming in. So I think they get the game in but I expect there will be delays.

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 07:03 PM
They are getting ready to put the tarp back on to get ready for the next round of rain which should be starting soon.

_Sir_Charles_
05-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Then drop Cozart lower in the lineup...don't bump him UP. And for goodness sake, get Brandon out of the cleanup spot. Have HIM leadoff.

VR
05-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Anyone know if any of the games are on WGN?

reds1869
05-01-2012, 07:44 PM
It is absolutely pouring right now. I face the ballpark from my apartment next to the arena and can only make out the light towers right now. Some bright lightning, too.

Vottomatic
05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
There is another system of rain in southeast Indiana as I type, getting ready to pour through for the next hour or so. And there are storm clouds popping up behind that system back by the Illinois border and that system is slowly growing. Yikes. It's a super soaker night, that's for sure. I'll be surprised if they get the game in.

Here is the best national radar site I always visit: http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 07:46 PM

Tomorrow night is on WGN. Too bad Thursday afternoon is not on there since it is not televised locally

_Sir_Charles_
05-01-2012, 07:48 PM

Doesn't look like it. I checked their online schedule and it doesn't show any Cubs games until sunday (dodgers).

~edit~ Go with RF's, maybe the online schedule isn't up to date.

redsfaninbsg
05-01-2012, 07:49 PM
When would they play a double header?

Degenerate39
05-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Any word if they'll be playing or not?

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Any word if they'll be playing or not?

not yet. The umps were supposed to meet with the managers at 7:45 to give them an update

VR
05-01-2012, 07:54 PM
WGN used to be the only way I could see the Reds. It always struck me as bizarre....that during rain delays they showed reruns of Bozo the Clown episodes.
/random childhood memory

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I wonder if they'd be more likely to call this one off since it's against a divisional foe who is here a couple more times this year. If this was against the Giants, they'd probably wait all night.

And it's it still in the Reds' hands since the game never officially started? Once a pitch is thrown then it's under umpire control.

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Looks like on radar this current storm is moving out of the area but there are more storms filling in in central Indiana that were not on radar a short time ago. So it looks like there should be a break but more rain later.

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Here is the current radar:

http://i.imwx.com//web/radar/us_ind_closeradar_plus_usen.jpg

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 08:10 PM
According to John Fay it is pretty much stopped raining at the park and the grounds crew is starting to work on the field

RBA
05-01-2012, 08:32 PM
WGN used to be the only way I could see the Reds. It always struck me as bizarre....that during rain delays they showed reruns of Bozo the Clown episodes.
/random childhood memory

And WTBS/TBS use to show Andy Griffith during rain delays.

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 08:37 PM
the latest update is they are still making a decision on whether to start. I think they are worried about the rain to the west but right now it is not raining and thyey are waiting through the window they may have to play

Buckeye33
05-01-2012, 08:49 PM
The 6 hour future radar thing on weather.com is showing the rest of the rain missing downtown Cincy ..

Start it!

VottoFan54
05-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Start it!

I agree, they should just give it a try and see what happens.

Gallen5862
05-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Would it benefit the Reds more to postpone the game and rest Phillips? Could this also help the Reds reset their starting pitchers rotation?

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I have a feeling this is going to end up a rainout. It is a strange delay. It has not been raining for some time but they are making no move toward starting the game and the team has released no updates

RBA
05-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Would it benefit the Reds more to postpone the game and rest Phillips? Could this also help the Reds reset their starting pitchers rotation?

Reds had a day off yesterday, relief pitchers should be rested and Bronson should be ready to go. Where do you put up the make up game? As part of a double header or on a day off in the future? I rather have no Double Headers and keep the current days off. Plus Bruce is hot right now.

VottoFan54
05-01-2012, 09:05 PM
FSOhio:

No word on a rainout yet, folks. Tarp is still on the field, and the rain has stopped. But there's no movement on the field.

membengal
05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
I guess they are worried about that next shield of rain, but they could have played and gotten a bunch underway before it gets here, if it ever gets here.

VottoFan54
05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
John Fay twitter:

Cubs starter Samardzija heading to bullpen. Not sure that means anything. #reds

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Now Fay says the Reds players are heading to the clubhouse. I don't understand that. Woudln't they have been in the clubhouse this whole time.

05-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Now Fay says the Reds players are heading to the clubhouse. I don't understand that. Woudln't they have been in the clubhouse this whole time.

No recliners there anymore ;)

reds44
05-01-2012, 09:11 PM
PPD. No makeup date announced.

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
It is a rainout. They have not announced a make up date yet

VottoFan54
05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
The reds called it?!?!

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk 2

Tony Cloninger
05-01-2012, 09:13 PM
They can make it up in Sept when the rosters expand......I would imagine.

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Cubs only make one more trip in this year. Weekend series from August 17th to the 19th.

redsfaninbsg
05-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Very odd, to say the least.

redsfaninbsg
05-01-2012, 09:17 PM
What are the common off days?

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Apparently they called it because more rain was due to arrive around 10

Blitz Dorsey
05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Well, that sux.

VottoFan54
05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Reds official twitter stating the obvious:

Due to the current condition of the field & the presence of a new storm front, umpires & both teams have agreed to postpone tonight's game.

Degenerate39
05-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Does Arroyo pitch tomorrow? And I was looking forward to this game :(

RBA
05-01-2012, 09:25 PM
I guess they wanted to watch the NBA playoffs.

Crumbley
05-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Two off days in a row are killing me.

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Does Arroyo pitch tomorrow? And I was looking forward to this game :(

Yes according to Mark Sheldon Arroyo will pitch tomorrow and Bailey willl pitch the Thursday afternoon game

Screwball
05-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Two off days in a row are killing me.

I blame Dusty somehow.

Degenerate39
05-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Walt should be fired for this

Tom Servo
05-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Walt should be fired for this
If he hadn't traded for Latos, this wouldn't have happened.

05-02-2012, 12:16 AM
I blame Dusty somehow.

I blame Bob Boone.

cumberlandreds
05-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Pretty good. 50+ posts for a game never played. Looks like Leake will be skipped in the rotation. They should make this game up as a good old fashioned, 5:30 pm twi-night doubleheader on August 17th.

redsfan30
05-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Last night was a very strange night at the ballpark. The radar was on the scoreboard and TVs all night long so we were able to watch what was coming in. The delay for the first (technically second) wave that came in around 7:30 was justified and to be expected.

After that batch moved through, however, they could have played. Might not have got all nine innings in, but I would say for sure they could have got 4.5 in. My wife and I spent the delay in the safety of the Riverfront Club and from time to time I would walk around to the field-view side of the club to see a decent amount of people back in their seats with no rain and no movement on the field. A quick glance up to the radar showed the next batch of rain was starting to weaken a bit. So after nearly two hours sitting in the Riverfront Club I told my wife let's go back to our seats, they have to be in the beginning stages of starting the game.

So out we go. I grab some coneys and we head to our seats. All the while, only the "emergency" type lights were on at the stadium. Not full lights so it kind of gave a wierd vibe to the whole stadium. I know they did it to save money on the electric bill and that's fine, just still never seen it done during a delay, even to start the game.

The strangest thing of all was there was zero word about what was happening all night long. There was so much confusion all night. "It's not raining, there's nothing for a while, why aren't they playing or at least making the decision to call it now rather than have the crowd stick around for another un-needed hour?" As we were finally leaving the stadium, we were walking alongside a Reds employee who was on her cellphone angrily telling her (I assume) husband about the fact that they told them absolutely nothing all night long only to send them home. It was just strange to not even get a P.A. message along the lines of "we are still in a holding patern but a decision will be made within 'x' time period."

Then we get in the car to make the two hour drive home only to find out that 75 North was shut down at the 74 exit and it turns out that it had been shut down by flooding for a good chunk of the evening. Why in the world would the Reds not let their crowd know that a major road for a huge chunk of thier existing crowd is shut down??

I am a longtime fan who goes to the park 20-25 times a year so last night in the grand scheme of things didn't bother me, it was just a tad frustrating. I fully get rain happens and that can make for logistical nightmares. However, a little info would have been helpful. If I were a first time visitor to the park I would have been left with a very bad taste in my mouth.

As it turns out with only the emergency lights lighing the field, we were left in the dark all night long...literally and figuratively.

traderumor
05-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm guessing the outfield may have been too wet and with more rain on the way, there was no hope that the field would be in playable condition at any point.

As for communicating traffic issues, I'm not sure that is a realistic expectation of any public event.