PDA

View Full Version : They "Aren't" Who we thought they were

bmwreds31
05-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I'd say its about time to wake up and smell the Crap thats been around us all year that we have been just spraying Febreez on.

This is not a World Series caliber team. We were fed a load of horse doo doo all off season. It's just not going to happen. I will still follow and pray for a miracle turn around. However My expectations of this team have changed and im going back to how i usually follow the reds in previous years. Basically hoping for a miracle like 2010 that we at least make the playoffs only to get swept.

You can say its too early and omg the sky is falling thread. However, laugh will be on you when push comes to shove. Your just stringing yourself out further.

Its just time to wake up... This team, as unfortunate as it is, Just isn't who we thought they could be.

Am I saying there's no way in hell we make the playoffs. No not at all. Because i still hate the cardinals and dont think they are as good as they are playing right now. We just need to drop our expectations a tad. Its like jumping from a 3 story building lets go down to the first level so it hurts less when we fall. lol:lol:

bmwreds31
05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Scratch that possibility of playoffs thing. Were starting valdez AND HARRIS today. lmao. Im going to go puke now. :thumbdown:

brm7675
05-03-2012, 11:54 AM
I think the talent is there, it's just not being used right. You can give me all the ingrediants to make a wonderful meal and I couldn't do it no matter how hard I tried, but give limited supplies to a top level chef and watch out...magic....

The ingrediants are there, just not being used right...

New York Red
05-03-2012, 11:56 AM
While I never thought of this as a World Series caliber team to begin with, anything is possible -- see STL last year. I'm going to wait awhile longer before kicking them to the curb. We started slowly (4-8), but we did have three series against teams that have been two of the top three in the NL through the first month of the season.

While I always hate losing to the Cubs, keep in mind we were 7-3 over our previous ten games. Samardzija was on his game. He may have beaten anyone in the entire league last night. Our offense has sputtered, but our pitching and defense have been strong for the most part, even with Latos off to his usual slow start. We haven't seen this team at it's best yet.

alett12
05-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I think the talent is there, it's just not being used right. You can give me all the ingrediants to make a wonderful meal and I couldn't do it no matter how hard I tried, but give limited supplies to a top level chef and watch out...magic....

That says it perfectly

New York Red
05-03-2012, 11:59 AM

Unfortunately, I don't think Chef Dusty or Chef Jacoby are going anywhere anytime soon, but I do think we could still add an ingredient or two.

New York Red
05-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Scratch that possibility of playoffs thing. Were starting valdez AND HARRIS today. lmao. Im going to go puke now. :thumbdown:
I absolutely cannot understand Dusty's infatuation with Harris.

alett12
05-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I absolutely cannot understand Dusty's infatuation with Harris.

He is a lefty

brm7675
05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
He is a lefty

Who also brings veteran creaminess...:thumbup:

brm7675
05-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think Chef Dusty or Chef Jacoby are going anywhere anytime soon, but I do think we could still add an ingredient or two.

If 405-428 Record doesn't get you fired...not sure what it would take..

alett12
05-03-2012, 12:26 PM
If 405-428 Record doesn't get you fired...not sure what it would take..

Jerry Sandusky type accusations?

bmwreds31
05-03-2012, 02:18 PM
While I never thought of this as a World Series caliber team to begin with, anything is possible -- see STL last year. I'm going to wait awhile longer before kicking them to the curb. We started slowly (4-8), but we did have three series against teams that have been two of the top three in the NL through the first month of the season.

While I always hate losing to the Cubs, keep in mind we were 7-3 over our previous ten games. Samardzija was on his game. He may have beaten anyone in the entire league last night. Our offense has sputtered, but our pitching and defense have been strong for the most part, even with Latos off to his usual slow start. We haven't seen this team at it's best yet.

You cant really say that. The reds make Pitchers look that way because their terrible. I mean as long as i dont walk people i could pitch right now vs my nephews 10yr old baseball team. And i would look like nolan ryan. When the other team is that bad it doesnt mean im really that good or was really that good that particular night.

Point in case Look at today. All of the sudden the cubs have 2 all-star pitchers? Doubtful. :lol:

ShaySongz
05-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Ok last nights excuse for the notre dame TE having a pitch count in the eighties in the eighth inning was because he was dealing..lol ok what's todays excuse? They didn't get much sleep last night and had to play a noon game? Or Dusty played a washed up utility player a chance to play. I would be so happy so see Dusty throw a water cooler on the field when one of the players can't get a bunt down, or toss some bats on the field when a player swings on a 3-0 count and grounds into a double play..dam right I would be mad. I wanna see that he cares I wanna see him yank a player in the middle of a game for swinging at bad pitches. This team is lethargic, apathetic, emotionless, stubborn and lazy, mentally weak. I'm already looking at draft picks coming out for next year hoping we don't pick 14 again..and again it's kinda like ground hog day with this organization..

OGB
05-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Who also brings veteran creaminess...:thumbup:

What the hell is "veteran creaminess" supposed to mean? You say this all the time and you sound like an imbecile.

fielder's choice
05-03-2012, 03:29 PM

That's horsecrap. I hate Dusty as much as anyone, but this is just a bad team and there's nothing he can do about it.

SweetLou1990
05-03-2012, 05:03 PM
You cant really say that. The reds make Pitchers look that way because their terrible. I mean as long as i dont walk people i could pitch right now vs my nephews 10yr old baseball team. And i would look like nolan ryan. When the other team is that bad it doesnt mean im really that good or was really that good that particular night.

Point in case Look at today. All of the sudden the cubs have 2 all-star pitchers? Doubtful. :lol:

Dempster can flat pitch AND Samard was throwing 97 MPH into the 8th inning last night. Yeah the Reds helped them out way to much.........

Pitching - The Reds pitching has been pretty good outside of Latos & leake. Lets see if the pitching can hold up. Outside of those 2 guys, I don't think there are glaring weaknesses as far as the pitching goes.

Defense - pretty darn good, no complaints

Offense - Ouch. Joe has about a 440 OBP, lets cut him a break. Bruce - Ok. BP - ??? Everyone else, puke. (Frazier needs more AB's)

Lets see what the next month brings - as far as the front office selling a "great" team during the offseason - where would this team be if Chapman was in the starting position, prob about 4 games over .500 ( Chapman may have won 2x where Leake lost). They prob didn't think Rolen would bat .180

Go Reds - I want to go to Arlington or someplace warm to watch them in the Series!!!!

Maker_84
05-03-2012, 06:24 PM
i for one thought the pitching would be better than it has been.....but losing Madson and Masset and having to put Chapman in the pen really limits the most talented pitcher in baseball 9 (i cant imagine this team with Chapman and Cueto as both starters). I was one of the few people who knew the offense would flat out suck, they didn't do anything last season and basically stuck with the same exact guys without making upgrades anywhere. Team will be lucky to win 85 games

brm7675
05-03-2012, 06:34 PM
i for one thought the pitching would be better than it has been.....but losing Madson and Masset and having to put Chapman in the pen really limits the most talented pitcher in baseball 9 (i cant imagine this team with Chapman and Cueto as both starters). I was one of the few people who knew the offense would flat out suck, they didn't do anything last season and basically stuck with the same exact guys without making upgrades anywhere. Team will be lucky to win 85 games

But they were top 3 in runs scored last year...:thumbup:

redsfanmia
05-03-2012, 07:13 PM
I went today and honestly that is the last game I plan on going to until they make changes, this team is listless and Dusty planned on losing today with that line up. I got mad and left in the eighth inning so I missed the gift come back. I honestly wanted my money back after watching this terrible team, I think I would rather watch the 82 team than this mess.

Spazzrico
05-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Dempster can flat pitch

Funny to see this statement. The Dempster I'll never forget is the one that decided to have his two worst seasons while in a Reds uniform.

New York Red
05-03-2012, 09:07 PM
I went today and honestly that is the last game I plan on going to until they make changes, this team is listless and Dusty planned on losing today with that line up. I got mad and left in the eighth inning so I missed the gift come back. I honestly wanted my money back after watching this terrible team, I think I would rather watch the 82 team than this mess.
Wow, I'd hate to see your reaction if we'd actually lost the game.

When I got home from work, the 9th inning had just ended. We did what we had to do to win, and nothing else matters. It's funny that with some of our fans, if the other team rallies on us (as SF did last week), it's because we suck. Then when we rally to win in similar fashion, it's because the other team sucks. Do the Reds ever get credit for anything positive?

chuck6660
05-03-2012, 09:35 PM

When I got home from work, the 9th inning had just ended. We did what we had to do to win, and nothing else matters. It's funny that with some of our fans, if the other team rallies on us (as SF did last week), it's because we suck. Then when we rally to win in similar fashion, it's because the other team sucks. Do the Reds ever get credit for anything positive?

No, the Reds did not win tonight...the Cubs lost tonight :beerme:

texasdave
05-04-2012, 07:36 AM

The Reds didn't rally. The Reds played eight innings of listless, uninspired, sleep-inducing baseball. (You should count yourself lucky that you did not have to endure that snoozefest.) Dusty trotted out a lineup that almost guaranteed a Chicago victory. And then the Cubs realized they were the Cubs. That game was a gift. Three runs on three walks, an error and one hit. It took five outs to tie the game because essentially they hit into two double play balls and struck out once. And the way the Reds were hitting, five outs were gonna be needed to get onto the scoreboard.

The Reds winning rally came courtesy of their pitcher hitting Heisey with the throw on a sacrifice. Once again there was one hit.

No, the Reds did not win that game. They did not rally. The Cubs gave us a gift.

alett12
05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
That is true, the cubs gave it away

bmwreds31
05-04-2012, 12:29 PM

Thanks for my 1st laugh of the morning. You cant really be this blind.

New York Red
05-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Call it what you want, but 8 of our last 12 games the other team didn't win. You guys are a tough crowd.

New York Red
05-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Make that 9 of 13. But then again, I'm blind, so what do I know? :dunno:

Ironman92
05-04-2012, 10:02 PM
The Reds are overall pretty fair...they have a few too many flaws but they get the privilege of playing a lot of games against the Astros, Cubs and Pirates....those teams are not good at all....they'd all finish in the 60's in the win column if they didn't have so many games against each other.

New York Red
05-04-2012, 10:15 PM
The Reds are overall pretty fair...they have a few too many flaws but they get the privilege of playing a lot of games against the Astros, Cubs and Pirates....those teams are not good at all....they'd all finish in the 60's in the win column if they didn't have so many games against each other.
We played 9 of our first 12 games against STL and the Nats -- two teams who were on fire at the time. We've played a total of 6 games against the Stros, Cubs and Pirates.

joshua
05-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Not a championship team, but a very good one that can make the playoffs if they can capitalize on their opponents mistakes. Us winning the division has more to do with St. Louis and Milwaukee crapping away their chances than it does with the Reds running away with it.

This team hasn't had a true leadoff hitter in how long? Decades? I would give Frazier a shot in left field and Harris can go. He's proved himself beyond useless at this point.

I'd rather burn my eyes out with a red hot coat hanger than look at the lineup some days.

bmwreds31
05-05-2012, 10:57 AM
But then again, I'm blind, so what do I know? :dunno:

You said the reds "Rallied" In the 9th vs the cubs the other night. Anybody who says that is, yes Blind and wearing some very thick red Color coated glasses.

Kingspoint
05-05-2012, 01:02 PM
They are exactly what we thought they were....World Series contenders. The only issue is the albatross of Scott Rolen pulling this team down. He's "leading" this team to a wasted season.

New York Red
05-05-2012, 01:41 PM
You said the reds "Rallied" In the 9th vs the cubs the other night. Anybody who says that is, yes Blind and wearing some very thick red Color coated glasses.
I used the word that's commonly associated with a team coming from behind late in the game to win. Big deal. I'm not blind and I don't wear red-tinted glasses. I just don't choose to spend all my free time whining on a message board. Especially about a team that's won 9 of their last 13 games.

bmwreds31
05-05-2012, 02:20 PM
We played 9 of our first 12 games against STL and the Nats -- two teams who were on fire at the time. We've played a total of 6 games against the Stros, Cubs and Pirates.

At the time u posted this we had played 8 games not 6 vs those crappy ass teams.

I used the word that's commonly associated with a team coming from behind late in the game to win. Big deal. I'm not blind and I don't wear red-tinted glasses. I just don't choose to spend all my free time whining on a message board. Especially about a team that's won 9 of their last 13 games.

And your just back pedaling now. I hear ya. There's a small amount of fans like you around the cincy area. But most of us are seasoned long enough around these organizations to not get fooled the entire season.

The holes in this lineup are huge. Much too big to be real contenders unfortunately imo.

And im not the type of fan to act as if my team is World Series bound because they won 9 out of their last 13 where only ONE of those 13 games was vs a team with a winning record.

herbdizzle
05-05-2012, 02:29 PM
The Reds are a talented but flawed team that has some assets other teams just do not have. We have an elite hitter in Joey Votto that is a top 5 NL hitter by any measure. Jay Bruce and Brandon Phillips are both above-average All-Star caliber talent as well. Cozart & Mesoraco are two rookie studs that help round out the lineup. The fact is they only need league average production from 3b, LF & CF to have a REALLY strong NL lineup. I'd hold off on bridge jumping until the summer months roll around.

Cueto deals, Arroyo & Bailey look better, we've gotten nothing from Latos & Leake whom I would expect better production from going forward. The bullpen has been rather good. Fact is the Reds are a game over .500 and would make the playoffs as a wild card if the season ended today. I expect them to be a high 80's win team with the potential for 90+ if Chapman enters the rotation in the 2nd half and they tweak the roster a bit.

I'm still fired up and expect good things over the next month. They have won 9 of last 13 and can only get better IMO.

New York Red
05-05-2012, 04:53 PM
And your just back pedaling now. I hear ya. There's a small amount of fans like you around the cincy area. But most of us are seasoned long enough around these organizations to not get fooled the entire season.
I'm not backpedaling at all. There's no reason for me to. My opinion of this Reds team now is the same as it was when we were 4-8. If we get the pitching I expect and the offense gets on track, this is a playoff team. I'm not jumping off a bridge if this team doesn't win the World Series. As for what kind of fan I am, I'm a seasoned one as well. Been a diehard Reds fan since the 60's, through the great times and the bad. That's why I don't flip out over anything that happens in April. It's a long season.

New York Red
05-05-2012, 04:55 PM
The Reds are a talented but flawed team that has some assets other teams just do not have. We have an elite hitter in Joey Votto that is a top 5 NL hitter by any measure. Jay Bruce and Brandon Phillips are both above-average All-Star caliber talent as well. Cozart & Mesoraco are two rookie studs that help round out the lineup. The fact is they only need league average production from 3b, LF & CF to have a REALLY strong NL lineup. I'd hold off on bridge jumping until the summer months roll around.

Cueto deals, Arroyo & Bailey look better, we've gotten nothing from Latos & Leake whom I would expect better production from going forward. The bullpen has been rather good. Fact is the Reds are a game over .500 and would make the playoffs as a wild card if the season ended today. I expect them to be a high 80's win team with the potential for 90+ if Chapman enters the rotation in the 2nd half and they tweak the roster a bit.

I'm still fired up and expect good things over the next month. They have won 9 of last 13 and can only get better IMO.
Good post. :beerme:

New York Red
05-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Where da bridge jumpers go? :confused:

Ironman92
05-06-2012, 10:04 PM

Jumped off the bridge?

Billy Hamilton's Legs
05-06-2012, 11:51 PM
As much as this recent turn has been good, let's not forget the teams we've played in the past 15 games are the Cubs, Giants, Astros, and Pirates. All teams with losing records (except SF who is at .500). It's good they're beating who they need to beat, but the next ~20 games (all against teams with winning records) will tell us more about what kind of team we really have.

texasdave
05-07-2012, 12:19 AM
As much as this recent turn has been good, let's not forget the teams we've played in the past 15 games are the Cubs, Giants, Astros, and Pirates. All teams with losing records (except SF who is at .500). It's good they're beating who they need to beat, but the next ~20 games (all against teams with winning records) will tell us more about what kind of team we really have.

Exactly. This team has proven nothing so far. In fact it would be hard to make any case other than they have underachieved to date in 2012.

bmwreds31
05-07-2012, 10:36 AM

maybe you missed this part of my post. . .I'll be the first to come back and eat crow when the time comes. And ill be happy/ecstatic to do it. However nows not the time.

And im not the type of fan to act as if my team is World Series bound because they won 9 out of their last 13 where only ONE of those 13 games was vs a team with a winning record.

alett12
05-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Of course the reds are going to have a HUGE month of may

New York Red
05-07-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm just having some fun with you guys. Believe me, I'm not celebrating where we are right now, or predicting a WS title. You have to admit though, the pitching and defense we've gotten have been championship caliber. This might be the best stretch of Reds pitching I've seen in my lifetime, and I'm 48. I think back often about where this organization was just a few short years ago, and from that vantage point I like what I see now. Star players in their prime and signed, young stud pitchers all over the roster, etc. Yes, they underachieved the first two weeks of the season, and we have guys like Rolen and Phillips who haven't gotten on track yet, but this is a playoff team. I don't see how anyone could think otherwise, or how any Reds fan could jump off the bandwagon so quickly.

Captain13
05-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Of course the reds are going to have a HUGE month of may

That would be big. Real big.

bmwreds31
05-07-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm just having some fun with you guys. Believe me, I'm not celebrating where we are right now, or predicting a WS title. You have to admit though, the pitching and defense we've gotten have been championship caliber. This might be the best stretch of Reds pitching I've seen in my lifetime, and I'm 48. I think back often about where this organization was just a few short years ago, and from that vantage point I like what I see now. Star players in their prime and signed, young stud pitchers all over the roster, etc. Yes, they underachieved the first two weeks of the season, and we have guys like Rolen and Phillips who haven't gotten on track yet, but this is a playoff team. I don't see how anyone could think otherwise, or how any Reds fan could jump off the bandwagon so quickly.

I think your a bit over excited still;) But i will definitely agree with you our pitching, outside of leake, has been Lights out and is very impressive. And we still have that wild card called chapman to throw in the mix.

However our offense is just........Rolen, stubbs, BP struggling, LF position. Thats a lot of holes in a lineup and because of it our guys that are actually hitting, like votto, will see far fewer pitches because the guy behind them cant hit.