PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter--is he on something?

mlh1981
05-05-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm sure I'll get blasted for accusing the great Derek Jeter of possibly being on some sort of performance enhancing substance, but have you seen his start to the season? In comparison, a peer of his, Scott Rolen, who is also 37 years old, is well past his prime. I know that genetics/body type, etc play a role in that also.

His body looks he same, and I know he's always been reliable at hitting the ball the other way, and making contact in general, but ever since his slow start to last season in pursuit of 3000 hits, he's been on FIRE. Some say the pressure of that is off, and he made some "mechanical adjustments."

All I know is that he is almost 38 years old and not slowing down a bit, at a position which guys age terrible at. Also, there is a sudden spike in his power numbers.

What do you guys think? I can't stand the Yankees, but don't necessarily have anything against Jeter. Just making a few observations.

Assembly Hall
05-05-2012, 09:01 AM
I would say not. When it is all said and done, Jeter very well might be the greatest shortstop to ever play the game.

Stray
05-05-2012, 09:57 AM
No I don't think so. The guy can just hit, the pressure of the 3000 hits chase got to him early last year, after that he's been back to normal. I think he will end up hitting .315 or so this year.

mikdavrut
05-05-2012, 10:07 AM
I would HIGHLY doubt Jeter being on anything. I just do not think Jeter would even entertain taking that chance and possibly getting caught, thereby pretty much ruining all of the accomplishments that he has made in his fantastic career.

DJ is simply one hell of a player, and w/the pressure off post-3000, he just seems more "smooth" at the plate.

tedies
05-05-2012, 11:34 AM
He is a hall of famer, I think you can explain him hitting good because he is just a good hitter... Also its really hard to get away with taking anything nowadays

mlh1981
05-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Indeed, he is everything you previous posters have stated, but he's seemingly just as good at 37 as he was at 27, and hitting for more power.

In all honesty, I'd hate to see him get busted with anything, but when I think of productive soon-to-be 38 year old shortstops in history, it's a pretty short list.

Krawhitham
05-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Jeter always made good contact, and in the lineup they can not pitch around anyone.

Compare it it like hitting in front of Votto
Cozart: .154 batting leadoff, .354 batting in front of Votto
Stubbs: .107 batting leadoff, .333 batting in front of Votto

They should move Rollen to the 2 hole for a few games and see if that gets him on track

lidspinner
05-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I havent looked at Jeter's spray charts but I once heard Tony Gwynn say that the older he got the slower his wrists got at snapping the bat at the point of contact, that hurt his gap shots and his pulling the ball down the line but he said that George Brett told him to focus more on spraying the ball just over the infield, and Tony said his last few years he felt as though he could slap the ball almost at will on ANY fastball that the pitcher threw him.....

I would have to go back and look at Tony's spray charts from his past few years to see if they matched up to what he said but I would have to think that maybe Jeter is doing some of the same, once you get older you learn to sit on Red and try to only hit that fastball, easier to spray the fastball as opposed to sitting and waiting on that breaking ball to spray.....Jeter has always been good at hitting to all fields but a chart on jeter this year might answer alot of why is doind so well......I have an app on my iphone that shows his hot and cold zones but I am not sure if shows spray charts, I will have to look at that..

Ironman92
05-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Too much to lose.

I was going to mention Gwynn as well.

Spike in power numbers.....he goes oppo on that little park for most of them. He hits 30 and I'll be skeptical.

Rolen still tries to drive the gappers...tougher to do at his age and quite honestly it's far more likely that Rolen used in past years of greatness and is just been breaking down with injuries ever since.

I don't think Rolen was....but I'd believe it over Jeter.

DirtyBaker
05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
I would be shocked if Jeter was on something, but I was also shocked when Braun tested positive from his "allegedly" tampered sample.

I don't watch AL baseball as much, but Jeter seems to be a really genuine player who wouldn't get mixed up in PEDs - he seems to be a consummate professional who is mindful of the legacy he will leave behind.

New York Red
05-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Jeter is just a great player who hasn't really slowed down any. His average dropped a little two years ago, and last year he missed some games due to injury, but otherwise his career has been extremely consistent. He's just continuing to do what he's always done. As for the spike in power numbers, I don't see it that way at all. He's gotten off to a very hot start, but it's not as if he's going to hit 40+ HRs suddenly.

Ironman92
05-27-2012, 05:30 PM
In the last 6 weeks Jeter has passed Dave Winfield, Tony Gwynn, Robin Yount, Paul Waner and George Brett.

xsteve1
05-27-2012, 06:22 PM
If he plays till he'e 44-45 he'll be the all time hit leader passing Rose. But he'll probably only play a couple more years. The guy is a flat out stud.

joshua
05-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Great player...but to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if he was on some sort of pro-hormone or anabolic. There are very few people in the game in the last game who if they tested positive I would legitimately be surprised. Votto and Griffey are two on a very short list.

Ironman92
05-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Great player...but to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if he was on some sort of pro-hormone or anabolic. There are very few people in the game in the last game who if they tested positive I would legitimately be surprised. Votto and Griffey are two on a very short list.

Griffey showed more characteristics of being dirty than Jeter.

If Jeter is getting 185 hits a year when he's 40.....I'll be completely skeptical. But he's not doing anything extraordinary for a 37 year old.

New York Red
05-27-2012, 10:22 PM
If Jeter was dirty, he'd have a lot more than 245 HRs in 18 years. His single-season high came way back in 1999 when he hit a whopping 24. He's only hit 20+ three times in his entire career. The only thing Jeter is guilty of is keeping himself in great shape over the years.

Ironman92
05-27-2012, 10:36 PM
If anyone has earned the benefit of any doubt....it's gotta be Jeter. 17 years in NYC at the center of attention....as a bachelor and nothin.

New York Red
05-27-2012, 10:58 PM
If anyone has earned the benefit of any doubt....it's gotta be Jeter. 17 years in NYC at the center of attention....as a bachelor and nothin.
After living in NY for a few years, I can say for a fact you are 100% right. I read the NY Times and Daily News just about every day, and Jeter probably gets as much coverage as any Yankee since Mickey. But there is never ever anything negative. Jeter is right up there with Junior as the two players I would be most shocked to hear anything negative about, especially when it comes to PEDs.

Ironman92
05-27-2012, 11:15 PM
I don't believe Jr to be a user but in the same timeframe as the others he went from a 20-25 HR guy to 47+ for many years and those years were the most asterisked years ever.....then like Mo Vaughn, Albert Belle, Caminiti, Canseco, McGwire, Garciaparra, Bonds and Sosa.....his legs broke down...time after time.

He's clean in virtually every book including mine.....but his timing and similar injuries are fishy.

dubc47834
05-28-2012, 11:09 AM
I don't believe Jr to be a user but in the same timeframe as the others he went from a 20-25 HR guy to 47+ for many years and those years were the most asterisked years ever.....then like Mo Vaughn, Albert Belle, Caminiti, Canseco, McGwire, Garciaparra, Bonds and Sosa.....his legs broke down...time after time.

He's clean in virtually every book including mine.....but his timing and similar injuries are fishy.

This is blasphemy....lol!!!

Krawhitham
05-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Maybe he had stem cells treatments Like Peyton Manning, Kobe Bryant, & Bartolo Colon

Jeter started 2011 as bad as he was in 2010, Bartolo Colon had a great 1/2 half after his stem cells treatments. Since they were on the same team maybe Jeter saw what they were doing for Bartolo Colon and had the same type of treatments. He was on fire from the all-star break on in 2011 and has continued that so far through 2012