PDA

View Full Version : Do Thom Brennaman and Chris Welch dislike each other?

Red Buckeye
05-09-2012, 08:38 PM
I've actually suspected this for a couple years now. Very often it seems like there is some on-air tension between Thom and Chris.

I always imagine the two of them arguing off-air and the hurt feelings still there when they go on-air.

Is it maybe because Thom acts like he knows everything about baseball and Chris resents that?

Is it issues unrelated to baseball that they argue about, like politics (I know Thom is a hardcore conservative like his dad, but I don't know Chris' politics)?

I also thought I remembered hearing something like when Thom was brought in by Foxsports for Reds games (I believe in 2008 but someone else here probably knows) he was something like the program director.

Did he have anything to do with George Grande leaving? I know it was said that Grande semi-retired to spend more time with his family but I've always suspected he didn't want Thom Brennaman as his boss.

And just the other day Thom and Jeff were doing a game together and Thom said something close to this to Jeff: "You know I'm not trying to start anything with you and I certainly wasn't trying to start anything with Chris".

To which Brantley replied, "Oh you two guys..."

Again I don't think that was the exact words used by them but it was pretty close to that.

And I will just say it I really enjoy listening to Chris Welch as I think he is by far the most insightful broadcaster the Reds have. And I also enjoyed George Grande as I thought he seemed like a nice guy and it was obvious George and Thom were good friends and got along very well. I was sad to see him go (I know people on here seem to hate Grande and I don't understand why but to each his own).

And I'm not a big fan of Thom but I love his dad Marty, so maybe I am reading way to much into all of this.

But I've mentioned this to my friends and fellow Reds fans and some of them have told me they too have noticed some on-air tension between the two of them.

Thoughts?

improbus
05-09-2012, 08:40 PM
I get that feeling every once in a while. But, after working with George Grande for so long, anyone would seem like a jerk.

Red Buckeye
05-09-2012, 08:44 PM
I get that feeling every once in a while. But, after working with George Grande for so long, anyone would seem like a jerk.

Well I think Thom is the one that acts like a jerk more times than not, how is Chris a jerk?

And why do so many people dislike George Grande on here? TBH my jaw dropped when I started hearing people don't like him. I thought he had a great gentle play by play voice, and I also appreciated the fact he didn't try to act like a baseball expert, opting to go to the actual former ball player in his friend Welsh (unlike another know-it-all named Thom who never actually played MLB).

R_Webb18
05-09-2012, 09:14 PM
i think they are just joking around

mlh1981
05-09-2012, 09:39 PM
I feel like I'm in the extreme minority here, but I really like Thom Brennaman in the booth. I love his passion for the game.

New York Red
05-09-2012, 09:45 PM
I watch just about every broadcast, and it seems to me that Chris doesn't really connect with anyone, regardless who the PBP guy is. I like Chris and his knowledge of the game, but he just doesn't seem to have good chemistry with whoever his partner is on a given night.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish every single Reds game on FSO had the announcing team of Thom and The Cowboy. Personality-wise, they are different as night and day, but they have great chemistry. I could easily listen to them do a Reds game 365 days a year.

New York Red
05-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I feel like I'm in the extreme minority here, but I really like Thom Brennaman in the booth. I love his passion for the game.
I'm right there with you. I think he's as good as anyone in all of baseball. He's what Marty was when he was younger, except Thom is far more humble than his dad ever was. And of course, as Marty got older he got even more full of himself. I grew up listening to Marty and Joe on the radio, like most Reds fans in my generation, but because of Marty I don't listen to Reds radio anymore. Hopefully Thom doesn't follow that same path. It doesn't look like he will.

ol'Sparky
05-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I love thom he's marty's son !! .. plus thom's a bobcat !!

OHIO !!

miamiredskin
05-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I like Thom, too, mlh.

Grande was a nice guy, but never shut up. I know his job is to talk, but at least take a few seconds off every once in a while. And George knew every story about everyone who had ever been in the bigs since Ed Roush. Got tired of hearing about what Gus Bell did on his off day during a series in Chicago in '57.

As far as the thread topic goes, I believe Chris resents Thom being born with a silver microphone in his mouth. I don't think he likes Thom's old man, for that matter. Probably because of Marty's ego.

On the day after the storms washed out the Cub game recently, Chris asked if the power was out in Thom's neighborhood. Thom acknowledged that it was. And Chris said "How did you get the gate open?"

There was an uncomfortable silence of several seconds before Thom said "Wow." Several more seconds of silence followed before Thom began to comment on the action again. The most tension I can remember feeling during a broadcast of any kind.

New York Red
05-09-2012, 10:29 PM
On the day after the storms washed out the Cub game recently, Chris asked if the power was out in Thom's neighborhood. Thom acknowledged that it was. And Chris said "How did you get the gate open?"

There was an uncomfortable silence of several seconds before Thom said "Wow." Several more seconds of silence followed before Thom began to comment on the action again. The most tension I can remember feeling during a broadcast of any kind.
I remember that well, and I thought the same thing at the time. Thom was as professional as a pro can be in an awkward moment like that. Chris was just being Chris.

Red Buckeye
05-09-2012, 11:52 PM
I like Thom, too, mlh.

Grande was a nice guy, but never shut up. I know his job is to talk, but at least take a few seconds off every once in a while. And George knew every story about everyone who had ever been in the bigs since Ed Roush. Got tired of hearing about what Gus Bell did on his off day during a series in Chicago in '57.

As far as the thread topic goes, I believe Chris resents Thom being born with a silver microphone in his mouth. I don't think he likes Thom's old man, for that matter. Probably because of Marty's ego.

Holy Crap I wish I would have heard that!

ervinsm84
05-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Marty's turned in a bitter old man without Nuxhall, and Thom is on his way to joining them. Can't stand when they hop on a rant and are so negative and critical that it's hard to watch or listen. What makes it worse, is most of the stuff they are critical of, they could not be more wrong about.

My guess is Chris kinda feels the same way. Ive actually been really impressed with how Welsch has evolved over time. He obviously knows the game at a high level and mostly from an "old school traditional base", but he doesn't just turn his nose up at the advanced statistical side of the game, and does a better job than most of the baseball media of blending the two. I about fell out of my chair when I heard him talking about BAPIP and regressing to the mean, FIP, and just defensive independent pitching stats in general. Thom just kinda turns his nose up at that stuff, which is even funnier to me given, if one of the two should be turning their nose up at stat geeks it should be the guy who played at the MLB level, not the guy who never played an inning of high level baseball.

Maker_84
05-09-2012, 11:55 PM

I love Thom too, him and his dad have the best play by play voices in all of sports in my opinion.

Red Buckeye
05-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Does anyone remember the "pen stealing incident" from eiither last year or 2010 involving Chris and Thom?

Wasn't quite sure if that was a joke or not. Or what the hell exactly happened.

DirtyBaker
05-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Nah, I think they like having that element of friction. Thom can adlib and stir the pot much better than Kelch or Grande ever could, and I think Chris likes it because he has more to talk about.

Kelch and Chris can get pretty boring but as long as Grande isn't in the booth I'm not complaining.

Big Red Hoss
05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
The only thing that bugs me about Chris is the tech talk. It was enjoyable 5 years ago. It has now run its coarse and we need something new for a while.

I like thom. I was glad when he joined the crew. He is the best to listen to call a game. Too bad Paul Keels didn't work out two years ago. He has the best play by play of anyone. It doesn't matter what sport.

OGB
05-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Chris Welsh is a corny, cheeseball of a man. That corniness was only exacerbated by George Grande. I don't miss George "Gee Willikers" Grande and his smiles and sunshine attitude, his repetitive use of (his own) cliches, and his puritanical sugarmouthed nonsnsical take on broadcasting--i.e. his refusal to say the "damn" in "best damn sports show," one bit.

Edited to add: George Grande was the Ned Flanders of sports broadcasting and Chris Welsh isn't far behind. Every time Chris says, "boot scootin'," I want to take a tire iron to his head...sorry, that got unnecessarily angry.

Red Buckeye
05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Chris Welsh is a corny, cheeseball of a man. That corniness was only exacerbated by George Grande. I don't miss George "Gee Willikers" Grande and his smiles and sunshine attitude, his repetitive use of (his own) cliches, and his puritanical sugarmouthed nonsnsical take on broadcasting--i.e. his refusal to say the "damn" in "best damn sports show," one bit.

Edited to add: George Grande was the Ned Flanders of sports broadcasting and Chris Welsh isn't far behind. Every time Chris says, "boot scootin'," I want to take a tire iron to his head...sorry, that got unnecessarily angry.

I guess maybe that's one of the things I liked about Grande, he had a very friendly demeanor on camera. I actually really miss the Grande/Welsh team. And someone else mentioned that they disliked George's "stories" about old timer ball players.

I'm sorry, but I'll take old ball stories over what Cowboy is going to eat for dinner anyday.

I am still shocked at how much people don't like Grande. One of the nicest guys in baseball and people seem to hate that. SMH.

DirtyBaker
05-10-2012, 12:11 PM
+1 on disliking Grande's "stories." They could go on for half an inning and have little to no payoff, and almost always ignoring the action at hand. It was painfully obvious Grande had little interest in whether the Reds win or not.

Brantley is a true character, a great personality, and actually knows a thing or two about baseball. He has more personality in his left ear than than George ever had. Love hearing about his ice cream/ribs/fried chicken escapades because they're genuinely hilarious and unique compared to stories about players who retired 20 years ago or how Tony LaRussa should be president.

texasdave
05-10-2012, 12:18 PM
You might wanna throw this scoop on top of that analytical ice cream cone. Jeff Brantley is the absolute worst play-by-play announcer that I have ever heard. Billy, Billy, Billy is he bad. Just awful. Following the action when he is going solo is like a trip to the dentist without the novocaine.
And when Marty and Cowboy get busy yukking it up the game becomes secondary. Close game or not. Maybe an announcer can get away with that on television but not on radio. The radio listener is entirely dependent upon the call coming out of the broadcast booth.
Brantley has personality. But I tune in to follow the game action, not because it is open mic night at the local improv.

miamiredskin
05-10-2012, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=Red Buckeye;2590532] And someone else mentioned that they disliked George's "stories" about old timer ball players.

Many stories about old-timers are interesting and enjoyable. Too many of George's stories were not. Regardless, he simply told too many for my taste.

I think it all comes down to George being so easily entertained by anything that has to do with baseball. If Joey Blow mowed his yard, so what? If Joey Jay mowed his yard, George would have to tell us about it.

DirtyBaker
05-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Jeff Brantley is the absolute worst play-by-play announcer that I have ever heard. Billy, Billy, Billy is he bad. Just awful.

Dave, I'm shocked, we at last disagree on something :D

You know at first I though his play by play was pretty bad, especially all the "right down broadway" and lack of detail on balls in play. He's certainly improved all that. Aside from the food stories, he's given us "the system" and goes absolutely nuts if he nails the trivia question, "Axe Marty," and a bunch of little qwirks that I can't see as getting in the way of the game.

John Fay does come in at the top of the 2nd inning and that can take away from the play-by-play because he'll usually talk about player management and injury updates, and I've never heard many complaints about his segment.

It's a shame we can talk about this ad nausium but still have no consensus because it's all personal preference, but I'm curious if Sun Deck could have a "Reds Announcer Survivor" with announcers past and present where every week we vote off a personality. Seems like something we can do this upcoming offseason because these types of threads are always popular.

smixsell
05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
I've actually suspected this for a couple years now. Very often it seems like there is some on-air tension between Thom and Chris.

I always imagine the two of them arguing off-air and the hurt feelings still there when they go on-air.

Is it maybe because Thom acts like he knows everything about baseball and Chris resents that?

Is it issues unrelated to baseball that they argue about, like politics (I know Thom is a hardcore conservative like his dad, but I don't know Chris' politics)?

I also thought I remembered hearing something like when Thom was brought in by Foxsports for Reds games (I believe in 2008 but someone else here probably knows) he was something like the program director.

Did he have anything to do with George Grande leaving? I know it was said that Grande semi-retired to spend more time with his family but I've always suspected he didn't want Thom Brennaman as his boss.

And just the other day Thom and Jeff were doing a game together and Thom said something close to this to Jeff: "You know I'm not trying to start anything with you and I certainly wasn't trying to start anything with Chris".

To which Brantley replied, "Oh you two guys..."

Again I don't think that was the exact words used by them but it was pretty close to that.

And I will just say it I really enjoy listening to Chris Welch as I think he is by far the most insightful broadcaster the Reds have. And I also enjoyed George Grande as I thought he seemed like a nice guy and it was obvious George and Thom were good friends and got along very well. I was sad to see him go (I know people on here seem to hate Grande and I don't understand why but to each his own).

And I'm not a big fan of Thom but I love his dad Marty, so maybe I am reading way to much into all of this.

But I've mentioned this to my friends and fellow Reds fans and some of them have told me they too have noticed some on-air tension between the two of them.

Thoughts?

I know that I don't like EITHER of them as announcers and listen to our opponent's announcers call the game in most cases (My nickname for them is "tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber.") I do admit that of the two I dislike Chris much less than Thom, and might even be able to tolerate Chris if Thom were axed (Oh, that "super affectated" voice of Thom!!! PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!) . But together, they get on my last nerve.

Love Marty B though, and wish he would come back to TV. :(

redsfanmia
05-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Thom is a hack who needs to learn to pronounce the name Sanchez, the sooner he is off the broadcast team the better.

mikemo14
05-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Count me in with Texas Dave. I have listened to the Reds on radio since Martys first year 73 and 74 and enjoyed it more than watching until the Cowboy came along. If my wife and kids are in the car they threaten to jump out if I keep the game on. I have given him three years but he gets no better. His play by play is horrible. Knuxie used to get confused every now and again, but he eventually told you what happened. To hear a grown man shout yee-haw every eighth inning because he got a trivia question right that 90 percent of the people on this board would get right every time has ran its course too. They really need to move him to TV as a color guy as he does know the game. Just terrible at play by play.

arkimadee
05-11-2012, 01:24 AM
I have no problem with any of the reds broadcast team. As a matter of fact I think it's the best in baseball. I listen to Alot of other team broadcast on xm and MLB.tv and we really have it made and don't know it.

CaliBuck
05-11-2012, 01:28 AM
I like Thom a lot. Much prefer him doing PBP over Grande, Kelch, whoever else.

redsfanmia
05-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Thom comes off as a know it all and tries to out negative his dad. He gets on certain play or player and just doesn't let it die. The sooner he is gone the better.

Falcon7
05-11-2012, 11:46 PM
I love Thom too, him and his dad have the best play by play voices in all of sports in my opinion.

You are kidding, right?

EMAW
05-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Enjoyed George and Chris tonight, non tension broadcast

DirtyBaker
05-12-2012, 12:25 AM

Vin Scully
Marty
Thom
Pat Summerall
Gus Johnson

My top 5

BluegrassRedleg
05-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Welsh seems like a good, decent person, but he drives me crazy with his relentless defense of anything the Reds organization, player or coach does. Feels like a house guy more than ever. Perhaps that rubs Thom the wrong way at times.

Thom seems like he tries to hard to be Marty. Needs to do his own thing.

DocRed
05-12-2012, 08:16 AM
I dislike them both...they are like white bread and skim milk.

fielder's choice
05-12-2012, 02:29 PM
They're both awful. The Cowboy is good, and makes Thom better.

Bob Sheed
05-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Yes I have noticed tension off and on for a couple of years now with Thom and Chris.

Firstly, they are polar opposites, in attitude and demeanor. Thom talks with that old school fake deep voice, and Chris uses his normal voice. Things like that.

Chris probably thinks Thom is fake, born into broadcasting without having to pay his dues, and everything else that people think about the sons and daughters of the successful.

Thom probably is well aware of this, thinks Chris is a "know it all, too stuffy," and doesn't like Chris mostly because Chris doesn't like Thom.

So thy both decide of course to act like professionals and work through it. But after a short time, you can always tell when two people don't like each other. It's as obvious as two people that do like each other. And once you are looking for it, the clues jump out at you like acorns in a forest.

Red Buckeye
05-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes I have noticed tension off and on for a couple of years now with Thom and Chris.

Firstly, they are polar opposites, in attitude and demeanor. Thom talks with that old school fake deep voice, and Chris uses his normal voice. Things like that.

Chris probably thinks Thom is fake, born into broadcasting without having to pay his dues, and everything else that people think about the sons and daughters of the successful.

Thom probably is well aware of this, thinks Chris is a "know it all, too stuffy," and doesn't like Chris mostly because Chris doesn't like Thom.

So thy both decide of course to act like professionals and work through it. But after a short time, you can always tell when two people don't like each other. It's as obvious as two people that do like each other. And once you are looking for it, the clues jump out at you like acorns in a forest.

+1. Nice post Bob. I would say that is spot on.

OGB
05-15-2012, 07:27 AM
I guess maybe that's one of the things I liked about Grande, he had a very friendly demeanor on camera. I actually really miss the Grande/Welsh team. And someone else mentioned that they disliked George's "stories" about old timer ball players.

I'm sorry, but I'll take old ball stories over what Cowboy is going to eat for dinner anyday.

I am still shocked at how much people don't like Grande. One of the nicest guys in baseball and people seem to hate that. SMH.

I do think Grande seemed like a genuinely nice guy, but that doesn't mean he wasn't annoying as an announcer. Also, as someone else mentioned, a lot of his stories were about things like talking to the opposing team's bench coach's wife Edna before the game and how she's just such a peach.

Thom I like. Marty I love. I'll leave it at that.

I could not agree with you more about Brantley. Shut the hell up with your folksy BS about french fried taters and bush hogging your yard. Shut up about how much fried chicken and ice cream you can eat.
I also agree with what several others have said about how he's a lousy announcer. I do think, however, that he is a knowledgeable baseball guy and does well as a color analyst when he's free of the burden of doing play by play.
And I might as well add that I agree with whoever mentioned how they loathe the axe marty and hootin and hollerin about getting a stupid multiple choice trivia question right. I love it when they tell what the scoreboard stumper is during the radio broadcast, but it's frustrating because they never tell you the answer.