PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to DUsty for getting Ondusek up quickly last night!!!

smixsell
05-10-2012, 01:16 PM
....and eventually bringing him in to nail it down. Finally did something right and deserves some credit. Lets hope that it is a sign of more good things to come. There's no good reason for us not to use multiple relievers, based on matchups and form, to close out games. We have at least 3 (Chapman, Ondrusek, and Marshall) that are uber qualified to do so. No reason not to make them the new "Nasty Boys." :)

Good work Dusty.

Kcbuckeye22
05-10-2012, 01:51 PM
I was biting my nails and seeing Dusty set him down was a relief. Nothing wrong with it, he was struggling and Dusty did his job....finally.

Ironman92
05-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah....good job

mor pls

dubc47834
05-10-2012, 03:13 PM
WOW, this is a sign the end of the world is near....LOL. It's nice to see someone give Dusty some credit on something. It gets a little old hearing all the bashing but then when something good is done it's crickets. I'm glad to see some aren't just soo 1 sided they can't say something positive.

:beerme::redszone:

CWRed
05-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Let's not ignore the fact that we are congratulating Dusty for doing what most any of us or any manager would or SHOULD do. That it happens about 0001% of the time is quite sad. Sadly, "closers" are given way too much leeway in this era.

But yes, when Dusty made the motion for Ondrusek, I nearly fainted. Atta boy dude. That was big time! :beerme:

smixsell
05-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Let's not ignore the fact that we are congratulating Dusty for doing what most any of us or any manager would or SHOULD do. That it happens about 0001% of the time is quite sad. Sadly, "closers" are given way too much leeway in this era.

But yes, when Dusty made the motion for Ondrusek, I nearly fainted. Atta boy dude. That was big time! :beerme:

True, true. I still give him credit though for improving..... (learning?!....lets hope!)
PS Just like you I almost fainted. :) Let's hope there's more where that came from. :beerme:

New York Red
05-10-2012, 07:06 PM
I loved the Ondrusek interview on the Reds Live post-game show. He was obviously still shocked about being brought in to close it.

The Rage
05-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I guess Dusty learned after Marshall's disaster against San Fran.

The countdown to a new closer is on.

lidspinner
05-11-2012, 08:40 AM
I agree, Dusty deserves the credit here, thats a move that Dusty would never have made with Coco, or any other closer for that matter....

I have stated many of times on here that I hate the role of closer....I cannot stand the fact that teams have one guy who is the 9th inning guy and that is his only role...even if the 7-8-9 hitters are up in the 9th...when the 8th inning the team scored a run with the 3-4-5-6 hitters.....i hate that. I wish more teams would have 2-3 guys who are the end of game guys......For instance, if 2 lefties are up in the 8th and Marshall is the hot hand, or Chapman is the hot hand, bring them in then and let them get those lefties or force the other manager to use his bench.....Maybe its the 7th inning when you need your closer with bases loaded and up by 3 runs with no outs....bring your stud in to get the outs and move on from there....if you groom 2-3 guys for that role then you will always have a favorable matchup in those last 3 innings, not to mention with double switching you can really make that hurt the other team with your pinch hitters.

If you play the game this way you are always going to lose a few of those 2-3 pitchers to other teams who will want to use them as closers, and thats fine....keep grooming a few pitchers for this role and keep rotating them in and out....nothing I hate more than having the lead by2-3 runs in the 7th inning only to see our 4th best reliever out there pitching with bases loaded trying to do the job of our #1 reliever.....bring him in there and slam the door on a rally. That would go against modern day Baseball but I love it..

kudos to Dusty for finally stepping outside the box and doing something to help the team win and not just do what the "others" do./...that is the type of leader I want and I would have his back any day of the week if I were playing for him and he did stuff like that....fight for the win, not for the ego of a player. do what it takes, no matter what it takes is the motto I want Dusty to live by.

Old NDN
05-11-2012, 10:02 AM
I guess Dusty learned after Marshall's disaster against San Fran.

The countdown to a new closer is on.

I've stated in a couple of threads that Marshall's fastball (90-91mph) is not your normal closer stuff. Most (if not all) MLB teams use power arms in that role. I guess the Reds are trying to start a new trend? If that's the case Arroyo would be great in that role: lots of lollipop curves and a weak fastball(jk). I think if Marshall was closer material, the Cubs would have been more than willing to shove him ahead of the erratic Marmol.jmo