PDA

View Full Version : What was the reasoning last night to...

Calten
05-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Let Latos hit for gimself in the 5th (6th) inning instead of a pinch hitter, and then bringing in Arredondo to start the next inning?....

Red Raindog
05-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Let Latos hit for gimself in the 5th (6th) inning instead of a pinch hitter, and then bringing in Arredondo to start the next inning?....

Why waste a player if you are set on bunting in that situation?

Latos has to get that bunt down - but we've seen so little bat control from this team that I guess bunting ability shouldn't be expected either.

mroby85
05-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Why waste a player if you are set on bunting in that situation?

Latos has to get that bunt down - but we've seen so little bat control from this team that I guess bunting ability shouldn't be expected either.

Is Latos a good bunter? It seems that he's been below average the times i've seen him trying to get runners over, and his manager should know that. Why not use Wilson Valdez in that spot to get the bunt down if thats what you're going to do?

Calten
05-13-2012, 09:50 AM
That's plausable I guess. Seemed kind of dumb though. Down one, I wouldn't really see it as a waste though. I'd prefer to have a positionplayer with more AB's up there vs. a pitcher who sees live pitching once a week.

I thought Dusty just flat out missed it, or decided in the middle of the inning to change pitchers or something.

Red Raindog
05-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Is Latos a good bunter? It seems that he's been below average the times i've seen him trying to get runners over, and his manager should know that. Why not use Wilson Valdez in that spot to get the bunt down if thats what you're going to do?

I see it as the only job a pitcher has at the plate -- bunt --

I would expect him to get one down most of the time. If he can't -- then he needs time working on it - in addition to most everything else in his game right now.

DirtyBaker
05-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Valdez wasn't going to get in the game otherwise, I would have used him to pinch bunt, and it was a clear bunting situation. If you don't want to burn a position player, even Valdez, maybe Arroyo could have done it.

I don't like it either, could have tied the game that inning and changed the course of the game.

Red Raindog
05-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Valdez wasn't going to get in the game otherwise, I would have used him to pinch bunt, and it was a clear bunting situation. If you don't want to burn a position player, even Valdez, maybe Arroyo could have done it.

I don't like it either, could have tied the game that inning and changed the course of the game.

Latos has 3 sacs this year - so his record doesn't look that bad to me.

Stray
05-13-2012, 11:28 AM
A lot of our guys need to practice bunting more. It shouldn't be as difficult as a lot of them make it to be