PDA

View Full Version : Volquez pitch another good game last night..

ShaySongz
05-13-2012, 07:42 AM
When do we start to include Brian Price's name on the hot seat along with Dusty Baker?? He's obviously not getting the best out of the Pitchers the Reds have, maybe a new set of eyes can identify the control issues with Leake, Latos, Bailey etc

brm7675
05-13-2012, 09:01 AM
When do we start to include Brian Price's name on the hot seat along with Dusty Baker?? He's obviously not getting the best out of the Pitchers the Reds have, maybe a new set of eyes can identify the control issues with Leake, Latos, Bailey etc

How has the pitching staff been bad?

ShaySongz
05-13-2012, 12:46 PM
2011 Aarron Harrang, 2012 volquez, is this a quincedence? Mike Leake getting worst. Latos strikeouts down

SidneySlicker
05-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Meh, Volquez is always an inning away from an implosion. Agree that Leake isn't the answer, but neither was Volquez.

Ironman92
05-13-2012, 03:18 PM
2011 Aarron Harrang, 2012 volquez, is this a quincedence? Mike Leake getting worst. Latos strikeouts down

Man I hope you purposely spelled it that way.

texasdave
05-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Eddie Vo.

chuck6660
05-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Volquez has been part of two trades that I'm afraid the reds are going to regret, ie... the Frank Robinson trade for milt Pappas.
- Josh Hamilton for Volquez :lol:
- Volquez, Alonzo, Grandal and Boxberger for Mat Latos :eek:

CrosleyField
05-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Anybody's ERA is going to improve in San Diego.

I do think we gave up too much for Latos though.

PumpFak3First
05-13-2012, 08:52 PM
^ That and Volquez really needed a change of scenery. Sometimes players in all sports need that. It's just what it is.

CrosleyField
05-14-2012, 07:15 AM
^ That and Volquez really needed a change of scenery. Sometimes players in all sports need that. It's just what it is.

I'm sure that's what the Reds thought when they traded for him. No one can deny his talent.

Assembly Hall
05-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Volquez has been part of two trades that I'm afraid the reds are going to regret, ie... the Frank Robinson trade for milt Pappas.
- Josh Hamilton for Volquez :lol:
- Volquez, Alonzo, Grandal and Boxberger for Mat Latos :eek:

The Josh Hamilton trade is looking really bad right now. Hopefully, Latos will take the sting out of it!!!!!!:confused:

Kingspoint
05-14-2012, 01:29 PM
A study was done a long time ago about what's more valuable,...a pitcher having a great season or a batter having a great season. It turned out to not even be close. A hitter's great season is about 10% to 15% worse than a pitcher's best season. Here's why:

A pitcher having a great season will face around 720-770 Plate Appearances. A batter, only about 650-680 plate appearances. A pitcher simply is involved in more plate appearances. If the hitter is also a Gold Glover, than more is brought into the equation. But, if the Pitcher is also a Gold Glover, than the same is true for him.

Throughout the history of the REDS, their forte has always been hitting. They've never had trouble finding enough hitters. They have, decade after decade after decade, struggled to find good pitchers.

Jockety is an "excellent" GM. He's as good as anyone in baseball. He knows that the goal is not to bring in attendance with "mediocre" teams, but to win a World Series. The only way that's going to happen is to get, not good, not very good, but, excellent starting pitching.

Also, traditionally, the REDS have been as poor as any team in all of baseball at developing top-quality starting pitching, no matter where they end up drafting at the end of the seasons. With that history, the only other way to acquire top-quality starting pitching (can't "plan" on blind luck), is to give up top-quality starting position players. Volquez had great potential. That one didn't work out, but he might in that they parlayed him with others to take another shot. Latos has already had great success, and we got him where he's affordable to the team for several years with his best years, predictably, ahead of him.

As a REDS' GM, you have to make these trades. Look at Mike Leake. He was a top draft pick, but he's struggling mightily. Homer Bailey was a top draft pick. He's struggling mightily. Arroyo has had ups and downs, but he's not a top-quality starter. Travis Wood (another top draft pick (2nd Round) was traded for top-quality relief pitching. That was a great trade. Zach Stewart (2nd or 3rd round draft pick) was traded as he wasn't panning out to be the guy they drafted, and apparently, Rolen was supposed to institute a quality in the clubhouse that generated a winning attitude, along with getting rid of Dunn, who supposedly didn't.)

Jockety signed/stole Aroldis Chapman from the rest of the league. He has great potential to be a top-quality starter. Cueto was pushed through the system and has become the best top-quality starter since Mario Soto. That only took two decades to get another one. That's way too long. The REDS may do better since the overhaul about 8 years ago of the system, and they might get another one within 5 years. But, who knows? Until then, our best chances are to trade the abundance of Power hitters this franchise produces (Kearns for Dustin Thompson/Bill Bray; Dunn; Encarnacion; Francisco; Hamilton; etc.) It's slowly paying off as we've gone from perennial poor pitching staffs to what we have right now...a top-flight pitching staff, even with the loss of Ryan Madsen, with several key pieces of this pitching staff signed through the next several seasons.

Walt Jockety and his two predecessors, Wayne Krivsky and Dan O'brien, including the entirely revamped from top-to-bottom REDS' organization deserve a huge round of applause as we go after our first playoff series victory since the Wire-to-Wire Winners of 1990. And, I don't know how anyone can forget that the only reason we won that series was because we had a sure-fire ACE, one of the top-five pitchers of 1990 in Jose Rijo, along with the greatest bullpen this franchise has ever had. You've got to have the ACE, or you can't win a World Series. It looks like now that we for surely have one in Cueto, possibly another in Latos, and another has a very good chance in Chapman. Starters can give a staff 4 or 5 good years, but Relievers only 2 or 3. That's why you have to continually go after quality starters. Once found, other teams don't let go of them. They are very difficult to obtain, especially for the medium/small market clubs.

The Rage
05-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Volquez has been lucky ala Arroyo+Petco.

The Reds pitchers have control problems early in the year because they don't throw enough innings in st. You don't want to be over prepared like Bailey coming into st like last year, but you want enough innings where after 1-2 starts, your command is hitting all 4's. I don't know what would happen if Bailey for example, went to another organization. The Reds seem scared to find out.

bmwreds31
05-14-2012, 03:17 PM
yeah hard to judge just how good he is playing inside san diego. If he has continued success on the road than we will talk. But as far as im concerned im still glad hes gone

takealeake
05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Anyone pitches well in San Diego with that division especially. That's why I am kind of wary of Latos, but the guy obviously has good stuff though, so it was more than just the park with him.

krm1580
05-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Most of the outrage of Volquez stemmed from the fact he was constantly walking guys, would run up pitch counts and burn out the bullpen by not getting deep into games.

So we traded him and a slew of top prospects for......a guy that walks a ton of guys, runs up pitch counts and can't get deep into games.

Latos is walking 4+ guys per 9. Lefties are OPSing almost .900 against him. He has recorded exactly 4 outs after the 7th inning for season. He has hardly been what I expected when we gave up the farm for him.

Not only that as bad as the offense has been Yonder would really look good in LF right now. As bad as he is defensively, you would litterally have to nail his feet to the field and make him play without a glove for defensive WAR to drag his overall WAR down to Ryan Ludwick levels.

Kingspoint
05-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Most of the outrage of Volquez stemmed from the fact he was constantly walking guys, would run up pitch counts and burn out the bullpen by not getting deep into games.

So we traded him and a slew of top prospects for......a guy that walks a ton of guys, runs up pitch counts and can't get deep into games.

Latos is walking 4+ guys per 9. Lefties are OPSing almost .900 against him. He has recorded exactly 4 outs after the 7th inning for season. He has hardly been what I expected when we gave up the farm for him.

Not only that as bad as the offense has been Yonder would really look good in LF right now. As bad as he is defensively, you would litterally have to nail his feet to the field and make him play without a glove for defensive WAR to drag his overall WAR down to Ryan Ludwick levels.Latos has been a disaster so far this season, considering what we paid for him.

Spazzrico
05-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Concerning Latos. I'm still not too worried yet. If I seem to recall, his numbers were just as good if not better away from Petco. I'm guessing he'll settle down and show his true colors. I hope.