PDA

View Full Version : Best Places to Stay/Weekend Series

SWIndRed
05-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Going to the Reds/Cards series in July (Fri-Sun, 13-15th). What are some of the best places to stay? Downtown, Northern Kentucky, etc.

brm7675
05-14-2012, 11:58 AM
I personally think staying over Covington area is your best choice. Price wise I think you will get better prices and there is stuff to do over there and dine compared to downtown Cincy...

will5979
05-14-2012, 12:51 PM
My family and I like the Blue Ash area, its about 10-15 Northeast of downtown off I-71, nice hotels, and a great mall, plenty of restaurants as well.

MrRedLegger
05-14-2012, 02:20 PM
It seems like you have a few options...

If money isn't an issue, downtown would be ideal. Either with the family, significant other, or group of friends, there is plenty to do downtown that is within walking distance. If you're bringing your family, there are other things to do (i.e. the Zoo, Newport on the Levee, Museum Center, Fountain Square) besides the ball game that are very kid-friendly. If going without kids the nightlife downtown is also fun especially because all the patios will be open. (Mt. Adams has in my opinion the best bar scene in Cincinnati, which is a quick and cheap cab ride away) There is also fantastic shopping downtown as well as great dining, if that's your thing. Downtown is most likely going to be the priciest solution, but seeing that you're going to all three games it will also most likely be a very convenient one.

Northern KY will be less expensive but all of the above will still be accessible by a short drive or cab ride.

The Blue Ash area is great too, with what seems like an infinite selection of restaurants and shopping if you include surrounding areas. This is going to be a much more affordable way of enjoying your weekend.

I hope this helps and I hope we take 1st over the Cards in that series!

Captain13
05-14-2012, 03:09 PM
If you want to park the car when you get there, and not see it again until you leave there are several good options. Covington and Newport will be less expensive than downtown (of those options I recommend Newport). If you want to stay downtown the Hyatt and Weston are both near Fountain Square and the Residence Inn is within walking distance (all three are great choices).

Newport offers a lot within walking distance; Aquarium, Levee, several other restaurants.

I don't know a lot about Covington.

Although they appear next door to each other, it is a bit of a hike from Newport to Covington (there is no bride across the Licking near the Ohio).

Downtown is awesome if you are willing to spend the extra money. There is plenty of shopping and several upscale casual dining options.

If you want/are willing to drive every day, I must agree Blue Ash/Kenwood is the way to go.

redssince75
05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
I've gone over to Cincy the last 3 years for games so I might have a little more of an outsider's perspective, but for FWIW.

Last year my family & I stayed at the downtown Hyatt. Never again. I'm not a stranger to downtowns or spooked by anything, I've traveled all over the country and world. But, my family (who also have big-city experience) was startled by the sheer number of homeless and the rather run-down and dirty appearance of the downtown area.

Generally, if you drive, we like to stay at the Hyatt Place brand (all-suites) or any other all-suite hotel. This is usually on the northern interstate ring on the Ohio side, not the KY side. Can still get to wherever we want for dining, nightlife, the game, etc. Parked on the KY side and walked across the bridge with my son for the games, that is a good experience. Just pause and watch the Ohio for awhile.

Finally, there was a pizza/calzone place we always went to that has the best calzones I've ever had in my life. I could swear the name was Napoli's, but I can't find a Cincinnati pizza restaurant by that name on the internet. Either they have closed, or changed the name, or I am not remembering the name right. They had 2 locations, one a little north of downtown in a not-so-great area, the other a few miles northeast of town on the Interstate going to Columbus.

OGB
05-15-2012, 06:27 AM
I personally think staying over Covington area is your best choice. Price wise I think you will get better prices and there is stuff to do over there and dine compared to downtown Cincy...

Honest question, have you been to downtown Cincinnati lately? I agree that a more affordable stay at a nice (read: not the TravelLodge) hotel makes Covington a better choice. You could even argue that the entertainment scene is better in Covington (though I'd certainly disagree.) But while there are some nice dining options in NKY, downtown blows them out of the water.

If OP wants some restaurant/entertainment suggestions, feel free to ask. I currently live in Covington and have lived in Covington or downtown for the past 6 years.

OGB
05-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Although they appear next door to each other, it is a bit of a hike from Newport to Covington (there is no bride across the Licking near the Ohio).

Actually the Veteran's bridge on 4th st is very close to the Ohio. It is less than a 10 minute walk to either the Brent Spence bridge in Covington or the Taylor Southgate in Newport. You can get from the Main Strasse district in the far west of Covngton to the far east of Newport in a few minutes by car.