PDA

View Full Version : 30 for 30 short: Pete Rose Here Now

joshua
05-15-2012, 12:16 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7925114

Interesting. It's sad to see that he does this 20 days a month instead of being happily retired or having a job in baseball. No one has been screwed by baseball's ways than Pete Rose has.

MrRedLegger
05-15-2012, 02:01 PM
I see three ways of Rose finally getting into the HOF:

1. Upon Pete Rose's death Selig honors him with an induction into the HOF
2. Selig steps down as Commissioner and his replacement gets him in
3. Rose heroically saves Selig and his entire family from a burning building and he has no other choice

Rose holds 17 official MLB records and 7 NL records and it seems like he has long paid his penance on the matter. It's a shame Selig feels otherwise

dubc47834
05-15-2012, 03:15 PM
I love Pete Rose as much as the next guy, but he has not been screwed. He did this to himself not only by the betting, but then lying about it for all those years. I do not think Pete will see the hall while he is alive. I think that once he passes that he will be put up for a vote by the veterans comittee. I think he will be voted in then. Pete Rose hasn't changed his life since he got caught. He still bets a lot, I know it's his right to bet, but if he really wanted in the hall he woulda changed his ways. I know this isn't popular opinion with Reds fans, I just don't feel bad for the guy.

1869's Original
05-15-2012, 03:22 PM
I love the guy, but it's pretty simple:

Don't bet on baseball.

New York Red
05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
I was a huge Rose fan as a kid -- even wore #14 for a couple years during my Babe Ruth League years. But I'm no longer a Rose fan and haven't been for a long, long time. He did this to himself and he has never shown any remorse for it. In fact, for the longest time he continued to lie about it. I have no sympathy for Pete Rose.

BluegrassRedleg
05-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Pete was wrong and deserved to get busted, but he's paid far more than anyone should. Enough is enough. As if people won't get the message if your forgive now AFTER 20+ YEARS of punishment.

LaFlamaBlanca
05-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Would've liked to have seen him get a full length 30 for 30. Still sad to see. But he had to know what he was doing was wrong.

Pete double taking at that chick's rack in the middle of the photo :laugh:

lidspinner
05-16-2012, 07:19 AM
Pete is my favorite Red of all time...favorite player of all time....He is why I played Baseball most of my life until I realized that I could not make it any further.....Pete is Baseball.

with that said, I feel like he did this to himself by thinking he was above the system and he always had that "ego" that we all would hate if he were not a Red.....I wish that Bud would put his personal dislike for Pete aside and put him in the hall and allow his family to Pete inducted into the HOF.....he deserves it, his record will never be broken, NEVER....that is almost as sure as death and taxes....Take steroids, juice a ball, cork a bat, do whatever you like to gain an advantage and you will still not break Pete Rose's record of hit king.....He deserves something, I just dont know what it is.....I dont think he deserves a job with MLB, he just dont seem to be like a good ambassador to the game like he should be if he were to be employed by MLB.......but he does deserve his weekend of glory at the Hall of Fame ceremony....

most anyone associated with the game understands that once Pete passes away he will get to the Hall, I just want to see him up there giving his speech, I think it will be one of those speeches that people listen to for a long time ala jimmy V speech about Cancer....History repeats itself so you know somewhere in the future someone will bet on Baseball again, maybe if Pete can get back in the spotlight and show people what he has went through all because of betting on the game and lying about it, maybe he can stop it from happening to someone else.....I dont know.....if Pete was not a Red I would probably not feel the same way....but I will forever hold a special spot in my heart for Pete and I will do everything I can to see his induction to the Hall be it while he is alive or dead......I just want to see the book closed on this whole Pete not getting into the hall saga......

Pete was on Howard Stern not to long ago and he seemed to be liking life with his new hot wife, he seemed to be enjoying everything that he does, I just cannot see how he can truly enjoy life when everyone associated with the game is getting rich and some are taking drugs and doing things just as bad as he done.....Pete betting on the game is just as bad as cheating on a steroid level..IMO, but thats for another debate and I am sure we could get into some big time discussions on that topic so I will leave it alone....lol

dubc47834
05-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Pete was wrong and deserved to get busted, but he's paid far more than anyone should. Enough is enough. As if people won't get the message if your forgive now AFTER 20+ YEARS of punishment.

The way I see it he has only been punished a few years now, it has only been within the last few years that Pete has admitted he bet on baseball, and even now I have never got that feeling that he is truely remorseful. He did 1 of the truely great wrongs you can do in baseball. You can't honestly tell me that he always bet on the Reds to win or that it didn't effect the way he managed a game. As a Reds fan I want Pete in the Hall of Fame, as a baseball fan I don't want him in until he passes away. This might be a harsh way to see it, but he should never see the inside of Cooperstown while alive. I know we all make mistakes, but when we do we must live with the consequinces, and so must Pete.

Jamz
05-16-2012, 10:23 AM
I think using steroids is worse than betting on baseball IMO and that's just a 50 game suspension.

jwmann2
05-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I think using steroids is worse than betting on baseball IMO and that's just a 50 game suspension.

Me too. But steroids don't help you hit home runs. If muscles helped people hit home runs, Gabe Kapler and Laynce Nix would hit 40 home runs a year. Gambling is seen as a vice and he was betting on his own team. Steroids is a supplement that just so happens to be illegal.

dubc47834
05-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Don't get me wrong, I DO NOT CONDONE STEROIDS, but ballplayers have always used stuff to try to get an advantage. Whether it be amphetimens, greenies, doctoring baseballs, spit balls, or whatever else people have done/used over the 100+ years of baseball. Betting on baseball, specially a team you manage, is just totally unethical. To me it is on the level of the Blacksox and what they did. I don't see steroids in that light. Yes, it is illegal, but I don't really see how it affects a players ability to produce that much more. Without looking it up, I think most that have been caught have been bums really.

Plus Pete Rose signed off on the lifetime ban to save his arse.

:deadhorse:

R_Webb18
05-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Me too. But steroids don't help you hit home runs. If muscles helped people hit home runs, Gabe Kapler and Laynce Nix would hit 40 home runs a year. Gambling is seen as a vice and he was betting on his own team. Steroids is a supplement that just so happens to be illegal.

umm okay.

Grouse
05-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Uhhh,,,If you say so.

Bob Sheed
05-16-2012, 04:24 PM

:laugh:

Sosa? Coincidence

Bonds? Coincidence

McGwire? Coincidence

Clemens wants to add that Steroids don't help you pitch better either.

:laugh:

Thanks for the laugh!