PDA

View Full Version : I wish they would shut up with the stats before the game...

ShaySongz
05-15-2012, 09:18 PM
It seems like when a pitcher or a hitter for the reds is going well, the broadcasters have to mention it...boom the steak is over' shut up!! Flash the stats on the screen but dont speak out loud about it. You will jinx it..Cueto going well only allowed one run...boom it's over big time. Chapman era 0.00 they will mention it than it's over! Please let it ride reflect on it when it's over..guess i'm just superstitious

[deleted]
05-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Fun Fact: broadcasters mentioning streaks/stats has absolutely no effect on the outcome of the following game.

Neither does a fan from thousands of miles away. If you're one of those people who honestly, truly believes that someone halfway across the country mentioning a pitcher is in the middle of a no-hitter will somehow magically cause him to lose it... well, I don't know what to tell you.

It's just a form of selection bias, I suppose. You don't notice it when they mention stats/streaks that are then NOT broken, because the connection isn't made. It's their job to cover developing stories and narratives. Don't dwell on it, because it doesn't mean anything.

Ironman92
05-15-2012, 11:07 PM
I helped the Reds win last week by slightly rotating my remote clockwise each inning.

R_Webb18
05-15-2012, 11:13 PM
this is just in your head

joshua
05-15-2012, 11:25 PM
;2596312']Fun Fact: broadcasters mentioning streaks/stats has absolutely no effect on the outcome of the following game.

Neither does a fan from thousands of miles away. If you're one of those people who honestly, truly believes that someone halfway across the country mentioning a pitcher is in the middle of a no-hitter will somehow magically cause him to lose it... well, I don't know what to tell you.

It's just a form of selection bias, I suppose. You don't notice it when they mention stats/streaks that are then NOT broken, because the connection isn't made. It's their job to cover developing stories and narratives. Don't dwell on it, because it doesn't mean anything.

I don't believe in jinxes...but I will slug a friend in the arm if he mentions that a Red is throwing a no hitter or perfect game, or mention a hitting streak at any point. Baseball is all about superstition, that's what makes it fun.

Come to think of it, I should make it a house rule that you have to finish your drink if an announcer mentions a hitting streak or no-hitter in progress. And if someone in the room mentions it, they have to chug two drinks.

ervinsm84
05-16-2012, 12:19 AM
I don't believe in jinxes or anything remotely like that. As a fan or announcer it obv has no bearing on anything whatsoever, and the only way it ever could was if the player believed in them and heard someone say it and somehow lets it mess with his head. So, if I was on the team, I would never in any circumstance in between innings go up to a pitcher throwing a no hitter and bring it to his attention. No, that doesn't mean I think jinxes are real, but it's quite possible he might think they are real, and the last thing I want to do is mess with his head or confidence.

DirtyBaker
05-16-2012, 12:35 AM
It's baseball.

If you don't want to see as many stats during a game follow a sport that has more flow like soccer or hockey.

LaFlamaBlanca
05-16-2012, 12:47 AM
It seems like when a pitcher or a hitter for the reds is going well, the broadcasters have to mention it...boom the steak is over' shut up!! Flash the stats on the screen but dont speak out loud about it. You will jinx it..Cueto going well only allowed one run...boom it's over big time. Chapman era 0.00 they will mention it than it's over! Please let it ride reflect on it when it's over..guess i'm just superstitious

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned a time or two before. Although, I'm sure Jim Kelch had much more to do tonight with Cueto's poor performance than any Braves hitter did.

ShaySongz
05-16-2012, 05:36 AM
it was seem when a player is shooting 15-15 on ft and the announcer mentions it.he misses. Send a scroll at the bottom of the screen but don't speak it...it never fails, almost immediately afterwards. People always speak out and hunt for statistical reasons not to believe in curses or jinxing..but you and me know they would like to believe its not true. Tell it to a Cubs fan. Or Met's fan that never had a no hitter thrown in their franchise history!!! Curses and baseball go together like peanut butter and jelly:D

texasdave
05-16-2012, 07:16 AM
I helped the Reds win last week by slightly rotating my remote clockwise each inning.

You should have done it again. :)

ShaySongz
05-16-2012, 05:49 PM
it was seem when a player is shooting 15-15 on ft and the announcer mentions it.he misses. Send a scroll at the bottom of the screen but don't speak it...it never fails, almost immediately afterwards. People always speak out and hunt for statistical reasons not to believe in curses or jinxing..but you and me know they would like to believe its not true. Tell it to a Cubs fan. Or Met's fan that never had a no hitter thrown in their franchise history!!! Curses and baseball go together like peanut butter and jelly:D

Now wouldn't it ironic if Santana pitch a no hitter against the Reds tonight??!

Kcbuckeye22
05-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Now wouldn't it ironic if Santana pitch a no hitter against the Reds tonight??!

Nope. Perfect game.