PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wood Retires

DirtyBaker
05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Bittersweet story. Interested in what you guys think about it.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/05/kerry-wood-retire-cubs/1#.T7b0ecXC96g

Ironman92
05-18-2012, 10:08 PM
For a short time.....some of the best stuff ever. His 20 K, 1 infield hit from a perfect game against the talented 1998 Astros was maybe the most dominating performance I've ever seen.

jwmann2
05-19-2012, 01:32 AM
Interesting in that he played nearly every role as a pitcher. Starter, middle reliever, closer and setup man. Loved playing for the Cubs, a franchise that most players despise because of their obnoxious fan base.

TheBigLebowski
05-19-2012, 08:55 AM
When he was at his peak, he was one of the most dominant pitchers around. Classy guy - played the game the right way. Wish him the best, and I admire him for knowing it was his time.

Assembly Hall
05-19-2012, 09:43 AM
When he was at his peak, he was one of the most dominant pitchers around. Classy guy - played the game the right way. Wish him the best, and I admire him for knowing it was his time.

I couldnt have said it any better!:thumbup:

kg112686
05-19-2012, 12:14 PM
I was actually at the game (in Chicago visiting family) and it was pretty cool because all of the people around me were talking about their favorite Kerry Wood memories pretty much the entire game. Even White Sox fans were getting into the conversation. The standing ovation and seeing his son run into his arms was awesome. Just imagine if he and Prior could have stayed healthy. Anyways, it is only fitting that he struck out the first batter he ever faced in the major leagues and the last bater he faced.

TheBigLebowski
05-19-2012, 01:22 PM
I was actually at the game (in Chicago visiting family) and it was pretty cool because all of the people around me were talking about their favorite Kerry Wood memories pretty much the entire game. Even White Sox fans were getting into the conversation. The standing ovation and seeing his son run into his arms was awesome. Just imagine if he and Prior could have stayed healthy. Anyways, it is only fitting that he struck out the first batter he ever faced in the major leagues and the last bater he faced.

Agreed - it was a great moment....one of those moments baseball just seems to produce.