PDA

View Full Version : Official Movie Viewing Thread 3

LoganBuck
05-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Has anyone seen Battleship? The reviews are mixed to bad.

Also am I the only one who wants to see MIB3?

savafan
05-21-2012, 02:04 PM

I saw Battleship, and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

I'm hitting up a Sneak Preview of MIB3 tomorrow in West Chester, and a Sneak Preview of Snow White and the Huntsman next Tuesday in Newport. Free movie tickets to advance screenings is my favorite job perk. :thumbup:

bucksfan2
05-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Watched The Descendants last night and enjoyed it. An enjoyable movie to watch and I thought Clooney was very good in it. Although I think the two girls in the movie were better...

yab1112
05-21-2012, 08:31 PM

I dunno. I was excited for MIB3 until I saw the trailer. Looks like they overdid it on the CGI.

MilotheMayor
05-21-2012, 11:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9oZDKFoCqAw

New film by PT Anderson. Considering There Will Be Blood is one of my all time favorites, I'm very excited for this....Joaquin looks excellent.

GAC
05-22-2012, 04:46 AM
Whatever you do - stay far, far away from Dark Shadows. Simply terrible.

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing this Snow White and the Huntsman. The theater previews looked good (but most do). A darker story of Snow White. I've read where the CGI in this flick is amazing.

cumberlandreds
05-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Whatever you do - stay far, far away from Dark Shadows. Simply terrible.

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing this Snow White and the Huntsman. The theater previews looked good (but most do). A darker story of Snow White. I've read where the CGI in this flick is amazing.

I thought DS was OK. If it wasn't for Eva Green it would have been pretty bad. She outperformed them all. My wife liked it and she is a big fan of the original. I think they had to punch it up a bit to make it just to make it half way interesting. If it had been done like the TV show it would have incredibly boring.

savafan
05-22-2012, 10:15 PM
I dunno. I was excited for MIB3 until I saw the trailer. Looks like they overdid it on the CGI.

Best MIB of the bunch. I believe there are actually less creature effects in this one than there were in the 2nd. Josh Brolin is fantastic in this movie. Once again, the screening was the 3D format, which wasn't bad, but probably not necessary.

Edit: My wife told me Tim Curry was the villain. IMDB says it's Jemaine Clement. I have no idea who Clement is, but he did a good job.

Razor Shines
05-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Best MIB of the bunch. I believe there are actually less creature effects in this one than there were in the 2nd. Josh Brolin is fantastic in this movie. Once again, the screening was the 3D format, which wasn't bad, but probably not necessary.

Edit: My wife told me Tim Curry was the villain. IMDB says it's Jemaine Clement. I have no idea who Clement is, but he did a good job.

Flight of the Conchords' Jemaine Clement.

WildcatFan
05-23-2012, 10:41 AM
I just rented Hustle and Flow on a whim, and it was fantastic if you are a hip-hop fan. It's a brutal look at underground Memphis and what rap culture often times comes from. Terrence Howard is just great, and I've been singing the hook to "Hard Out Here for a Pimp" ever since.

Razor Shines
05-23-2012, 01:24 PM
So just saw the Great Gatsby trailer....did they make a Heineken commercial into a movie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yab1112
05-23-2012, 11:04 PM

Good to know, thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Flight of the Conchords' Jemaine Clement.

Well if I was on the fence before, this pushed me over. I'll definitely see anything involving Jemaine or Bret. I really, really enjoyed that show.

Redsfaithful
05-24-2012, 01:08 PM
I just rented Hustle and Flow on a whim, and it was fantastic if you are a hip-hop fan. It's a brutal look at underground Memphis and what rap culture often times comes from. Terrence Howard is just great, and I've been singing the hook to "Hard Out Here for a Pimp" ever since.

I really enjoyed that when it came out, and I've always been a little disappointed that Terrence Howard hasn't taken many risks since.

savafan
05-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Just returned from an advanced screening of Snow White and the Huntsman, and this was a very entertaining and impressive take on the fantasy/fairy tale. Charlize Theron owns the movie as the wicked queen, but Kristen Stewart impresses as well, and I'm no Kristen Stewart fan.

marcshoe
06-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Just watched the "Don't be Afraid of the Dark" remake. Not a bad movie at all, but not particularly scary, especially when compared to the original. Even though Del Toro co-wrote the script, it had a few problems. A bit too cliched, and making the main character a child instead of an adult like in the original (Kim Darby, much better than she was in "True Grit") fed into that problem.

A couple of things made it work as a decent story, if not a scary one. First, the acting was very good. Guy Pearce was disappointingly bland (I keep wondering why I don't see him more, but his performance in this movie was forgettable,) but the other actors, particularly Bailee Madison as the little girl, were excellent. In the beginning I thought Madison was going to be just another sullen, bratty child, but she ended up giving one of the more natural performances I've seen from a child her age. Too often child actors are acting precocious and sounding as if they're reading their lines, but she was as good as anyone in the movie. Katie Holmes was good as well, though her character could have been fleshed out more. Alan Dale, Charles Widmore from Lost, had a very brief role that I thought (after he saw the polaroid) was going to be bigger than it was, but he made the most of it. And Jack Thompson, who was as big as anyone back when I lived in Sydney, had a too-brief wise-old-man role. I think all of the actors other than Holmes and Madison may have been from Australia and New Zealand, even though the film was set in Rhode Island.

Which brings up the second thing I liked about the movie--the attention to detail The settings, particularly the house, were magnificent. An opening scene that was scarier than the rest of the movie used this setting to create a Victorian/early 20th century horror story atmosphere that was recalled later in the movie. As an old horro story fan, I appreciated several little touches, such as the man who owned the house at the beginning of the movie being named Emerson Blackwood, a nod toward the great horror writer Algernon Blackwood, a scene that evoked Lovecraft's "Pickman's Model" (a line from that book was even used) and a direct reference to Arthur Machen, the Welsh writer who wrote chilling tales about the little people. I thought the librarian's linking Machen to actual history was a nod to Machen's story about the phantom bowmen of Agincourt appearing in WWI being taken as fact by many, but I may be overreaching there.

I had a problem with the ending, one that was addressed in the last scene at least to a point. I was already saying to myself that what was suggested at the very end should already have happened.

Not a bad movie, but not as good as the original. Then again, what is?