PDA

View Full Version : So when was the last Cardinal win against a team with a winning record?

UCBrownsfan
05-24-2012, 09:26 PM
It was against on us on April 18, in fact we are 4 of the Cardinals 5 wins against teams with winning records. They were swept by the Braves and Dodgers.

Since that Cardinal win against the Reds the Reds have 11 wins against .500+ teams, I think we've had the more difficult schedule til this point:
1 against St Louis
2 against San Francisco
1 against Washington
4 against the Braves
1 against the Mets
2 against the Yankees

Ironman92
05-24-2012, 09:48 PM
It kills me....and I hated it...but they are the World Series Champions and who they beat doesn't matter. All the guessed to be good teams are near the basement all over baseball.....some of this over and under .500 stuff will likely prove deceiving later on.

New York Red
05-24-2012, 09:52 PM
It was against on us on April 18, in fact we are 4 of the Cardinals 5 wins against teams with winning records. They were swept by the Braves and Dodgers.

Since that Cardinal win against the Reds the Reds have 11 wins against .500+ teams, I think we've had the more difficult schedule til this point:
1 against St Louis
2 against San Francisco
1 against Washington
4 against the Braves
1 against the Mets
2 against the Yankees
I've been trying to make this point for about a month now. Hopefully more Reds fans are starting to believe it now. Our schedule weakens for awhile and the Cards schedule gets tougher. We took care of business and we've earned the break.

New York Red
05-24-2012, 09:54 PM

1 against St Louis
2 against San Francisco
1 against Washington
4 against the Braves
1 against the Mets
2 against the Yankees
BTW, we have 5 wins against the Braves in the last week and a half. We split the two-game series with them in ATL last week.

Ironman92
05-24-2012, 09:57 PM
I remain skeptical that we just definitely take care of business against lesser teams....Colorado scares me and I sure hope to win the series against the Pirates, Cubs and Stros....but I'm cautiously optimistic still.

New York Red
05-24-2012, 10:00 PM
All the guessed to be good teams are near the basement all over baseball...
I'm going to need proof of that. The only examples I see are Philly (major injuries), who's only 4½ games out in the best division in the NL, and the Yankees, who are only 4½ games out in the best division in the AL. Both of those divisions are up for grabs. How about giving the Reds some credit and just enjoy the ride, instead of worrying about the future and finding ways to discredit the way they've played for over a month now. This run isn't a fluke. This is a very good Reds team.

Ironman92
05-24-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm going to need proof of that. The only examples I see are Philly (major injuries), who's only 4½ games out in the best division in the NL, and the Yankees, who are only 4½ games out in the best division in the AL. Both of those divisions are up for grabs. How about giving the Reds some credit and just enjoy the ride, instead of worrying about the future and finding ways to discredit the way they've played for over a month now. This run isn't a fluke. This is a very good Reds team.

I am enjoying it....it's great. Love the TEAM playing well minus Brucey.

But why can't I be skeptical of the later months? Yes, it appears to be greatly set for us but over the past couple of years my least favorite teams keep winning the sporting championships....a good run is due for me but darnit I'm skeptical about playoff appearances or playoff wins....I don't see the problem. I've enjoyed this Braves sweep as much as anyone.

Ironman92
05-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Yankees in 4th out of 5
Red Sox in last

Tigers in 3rd

Angels in last

Marlins in 4th of 5

Phillies in last

Brewers in 4th

Diamondbacks in 3rd

I'm not attempting to discredit.....I wasn't switching teams early on and I'm not buying playoff tickets now.

The Reds are playing great....I trust our pitching more than anytime since 1990 and things seem very promising. I love the streak we're on and everything with the Cardinals seems to be falling apart....but I need to see the upcoming months of play and health....I hope you are completely right and I'm ignorantly wrong.

New York Red
05-24-2012, 10:33 PM
I am enjoying it....it's great. Love the TEAM playing well minus Brucey.

But why can't I be skeptical of the later months? Yes, it appears to be greatly set for us but over the past couple of years my least favorite teams keep winning the sporting championships....a good run is due for me but darnit I'm skeptical about playoff appearances or playoff wins....I don't see the problem. I've enjoyed this Braves sweep as much as anyone.
I have no problem with how you view things. You're a poster I like on this site. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're younger than me, so your perspective is possibly different. We're never going to have the entire team clicking on all cylinders at the same time. It seems like when Bruce is hot, Stubbs is slumping. When Bruce is slumping, Stubbs starts heating up. We were getting nothing from the LF and 3B spots, but now we're getting production from both.

Baseball is a funny game. You can suck 70% of the time and still go to the HOF. Even the great teams lose a third of their games. I grew up in the BRM era, when the best organizations won, not the organizations with the most money. It's different now. You need great pitching and an offense to get hot at the right time to get to the WS. This Reds team has that capability. That's all I ask and I'm enjoying the ride.

Ironman92
05-24-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm 37 and I get all that. I just view it a little differently.

Go Reds.

UCBrownsfan
05-24-2012, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=Ironman92;2607061]Yankees in 4th out of 5 - still playing winning baseball
Red Sox in last - still playing 500 baseball

Tigers in 3rd

Angels in last

Marlins in 4th of 5 - Winning record still only 2.5 out, will be tied for 3rd at the end of the night.

Phillies in last - but most likely at 500, and minus Howard, Utley, and half of a season of Cliff Lee what would you expect.

Brewers in 4th expected them to be right at 500, battling for 3rd.

Diamondbacks in 3rd - Eh 3rd is where I thought for them.

Really the only teams not within a few games right now of where I expected them in the National League are Washington - a little better, and Milwaukee a little worse - with Weeks really struggling.

Ironman92
05-25-2012, 06:15 AM
I said the guessed to be good teams are near the basement all over baseball....most of those teams can be looked at near the top in terms of games back.....or maybe it's just May.

DirtyBaker
05-25-2012, 10:25 AM
You couldn't ask for a better schedule to until interleague play resumes. Rockies, Pirates, Astros, and Pirates again. This next stretch will certainly balance out the tough early schedule and Reds could make some ground in the next two weeks.

[deleted]
05-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Well, we had a losing record when the Cards best us twice in that April 17-19 series. So... when was the last time St. Louis beat a team that had (at the time the game was played) a winning record? Because they beat San Fran not too long ago, and they're over .500 now.

UCBrownsfan
05-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Because they beat San Fran not too long ago, and they're over .500 now.

You're right... I looked at that earlier and my eyes saw a 2 game sweep of the Cubs, and thought they were swept by the Giants.

They were swept by both the Braves and Dodgers though. So that gives them 6 wins total against .500 + teams: 1 Marlins, 4 Reds, 1 Giants.

joshua
05-25-2012, 10:55 PM
You couldn't ask for a better schedule to until interleague play resumes. Rockies, Pirates, Astros, and Pirates again. This next stretch will certainly balance out the tough early schedule and Reds could make some ground in the next two weeks.

Keep in mind that the Cards schedule coming up isn't very rough either:
@ATL, PIT, @HOU, @ARI, ATL, CHC, @SF, @LAD, SD, PHI, ATL

They play Atlanta three times through the end of June...I just hope the Braves get their act together and the Dodgers, DBacks and Giants beat them up.