PDA

View Full Version : Position moves

SidneySlicker
05-30-2012, 12:00 PM
I think people drastically underestimate how hard it is to make a position change at the major league level, let alone do it during the season. First it was move Joey Votto to lf to make room for Yonder. Now it's get Hanny or Mez some games at left field to infuse offense into the lineup.

While I understand people wanting to get better bats in the lineup, they need to understand that there is an art to playing each position on defense. I'd understand to some extent if the player had played it in the minors and had experience under their belts, but to do it on the fly in the middle of the season is simply ridiculous.

It's not like we are talking about moving someone from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to first. You are talking about moving a catcher to left field. Really???
Why take a player away from what he does best to put him in a position where he's likely to fail? It's just not realistic nor would it be benificial to the team.

This is the bed the Reds have made offensively and now they have to sleep in it.

Ironman92
05-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Ron Gant was an awesome talent....but spent a good deal of time in the minors transitioning from 2nd to the OF.

Rick Ankiel is my hero.

texasdave
05-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Craig Biggio went from catcher to second base. That seems like an odd transition.

New York Red
05-30-2012, 01:20 PM
There's been a lot of instances of players switching positions over the years. But it's much, much rarer for a fulltime catcher to make the switch to another position. We are really fortunate to have one really good veteran catcher and our catcher of the future behind him. If we could get a good hitting leftfielder and a hitting coach for Stubbs, I think we'd be fine offensively.

New York Red
05-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Craig Biggio went from catcher to second base. That seems like an odd transition.
Biggio didn't have the kind of build you normally associate with a catcher. I think that helped him a lot in making the transition to second.