PDA

View Full Version : Latos needs to impose his will on the hitters!

ShaySongz
06-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Too many breaking balls tonight...we need more fastballs from him, he throws 95+ at times

Todd Gack
06-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Don't worry, the ORG assured us this was a great trade.

ShaySongz
06-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Hanigan calling too many breaking pitches!!!

Todd Gack
06-02-2012, 09:12 PM
How in the world is this Hanigan's fault? How about we start blaming the supposed TOR pitcher we'd traded the world for?

ShaySongz
06-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Look how many breaking pitch JJ hoover throwing

Todd Gack
06-02-2012, 09:20 PM
They do have the option to call off the pitch.

HatchMo
06-03-2012, 12:20 AM
The game had 21 runs scored, pitching wasn't working for either side. Latos is young and will pan out just fine. People complaining about this trade need to realize what we gave up. A 1st baseman whose blocked by votto for 10 years. A catcher whose also blocked by a rookie who people are clamoring isn't getting enough playing time. A pitcher who had a hard time getting out of the 1st inning for most of the season, and a relief pitcher when our bullpen is the best in baseball.

LaFlamaBlanca
06-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Too many breaking balls tonight...we need more fastballs from him, he throws 95+ at times

Agree. Article on fan graphs earlier this season about how much more he was throwing his slider/off speed stuff compared to his SD years, with of course less relative success. He was consistently 94+ against the Rockies the other day, impressive stuff to watch.

Ironman92
06-03-2012, 12:32 AM
The game had 21 runs scored, pitching wasn't working for either side. Latos is young and will pan out just fine. People complaining about this trade need to realize what we gave up. A 1st baseman whose blocked by votto for 10 years. A catcher whose also blocked by a rookie who people are clamoring isn't getting enough playing time. A pitcher who had a hard time getting out of the 1st inning for most of the season, and a relief pitcher when our bullpen is the best in baseball.

Those are good points.

Ironman92
06-03-2012, 12:33 AM

Maybe all of those players could've brought a #4 hitter.

smixsell
06-03-2012, 03:41 AM

Spot on. His breaking ball was poor tonight, and he just KEPT THROWING IT!!!!

Driver62
06-03-2012, 10:30 AM
LeCure did the same thing and most of his ended up low and outside. Maybe someone on the Reds decided the Astros couldn't hit the breaking ball.

Stray
06-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Yeah I think the gameplan going in was to give them a lot of breaking balls. Our guys just couldn't throw them for strikes and ended up getting behind in the count a lot. And you gotta give credit to the Stros, they fouled off a lot of tough pitches. Just one of those games.

DocRed
06-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Nearly 5 ERA and a 27% QS percentage, 1/3 the way through the season ain't getting it done. You could argue he has been our worst SP this year.

Todd Gack
06-03-2012, 01:01 PM

Yikes. Where do I start?

1) Are you actually defending Latos by saying Houston's pitching was bad too? Good lord.

2) "We gave up a 1st basemen who's blocked yada, yada, yada. . . " Isn't it possible we could've gotten another pitcher for the same players we gave up? I'm not giving up on Latos yet as that's simply foolish. But for what we gave up and what kind of expectations we had for him, he's been abysmal this year. His stats from his last 5 starts is extremely misleading.

3) You're really defending Latos's bad outing because Houston had one too?

4) See #1 and #3

5) Latos's averages per start this year:

5.2 IP
5.8 H
5 K
2 BB
1 HR

It's not like Saturday's start was THAT far from his norm.

LaFlamaBlanca
06-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Yikes. Where do I start?

1) Are you actually defending Latos by saying Houston's pitching was bad too? Good lord.

2) "We gave up a 1st basemen who's blocked yada, yada, yada. . . " Isn't it possible we could've gotten another pitcher for the same players we gave up? I'm not giving up on Latos yet as that's simply foolish. But for what we gave up and what kind of expectations we had for him, he's been abysmal this year. His stats from his last 5 starts is extremely misleading.

4) See #1 and #3

5.2 IP
5.8 H
5 K
2 BB
1 HR

Misleading? 30.1 IP, 3.29 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, with 9.8 K/9. How could those stats possibly be "misleading"? They're extremely similar to the exact numbers he put up last year.

HatchMo
06-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Yikes. Where do I start?

4) See #1 and #3

5.2 IP
5.8 H
5 K
2 BB
1 HR

Listen Todd, he is a 24 year old pitcher, moving from the biggest park in baseball to one of the smallest. The transition is going to be tough.

Also, to the other fool who suggested we could have traded those players for a 4-hole hitter is moronic, we have a great one on the team right now. We just need the manager to make the move. The reds need a leadoff hitter and thats it.

ShaySongz
06-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Who's at fault for calling the curveballs? Latos is a power pitcher, and somehow the reds game plan is more "finesse" with him. He runs up his pitch count trying to find the handle on the curve pitch.

Ironman92
06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Listen Todd, he is a 24 year old pitcher, moving from the biggest park in baseball to one of the smallest. The transition is going to be tough.

Also, to the other fool who suggested we could have traded those players for a 4-hole hitter is moronic, we have a great one on the team right now. We just need the manager to make the move. The reds need a leadoff hitter and thats it.

I'm a fool and moronic? I've said 4,192 times that Bruce should bat 4th and Phillips 2nd against righties...but I've watched all the games an know it just ain't happening......so I just brought up a possible point.....if you were of any count you could read my post before that to see I was offering a point on each side of this ridiculously early argument.