PDA

View Full Version : Welsh and Brantley

mikemo14
06-02-2012, 10:44 PM
I reallylike Welsh on the radio and Brantley on TV. Hope it continues.

Ironman92
06-02-2012, 11:14 PM
I've noticed Brantley being a little less opinionated on tv....doesn't call it like he sees it nearly as much.

arkimadee
06-02-2012, 11:16 PM
I agree with you. I like how they change it up though. Variety is good.

Ironman92
06-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Does Marty like Cowboy? I was listening on XM when Brantley first started and he corrected Marty on something and Marty went on a tirade with some f bombs.....not sure WLW aired it.....but XM sure did!

EMAW
06-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Kinda tough gig on tv when the pbp guy also throws in opinions on everything

EMAW
06-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Does Marty like Cowboy? I was listening on XM when Brantley first started and he corrected Marty on something and Marty went on a tirade with some f bombs.....not sure WLW aired it.....but XM sure did!

This sounds delightful, give examples, do tell, would love to see Cowboy kick father and son butts

EMAW
06-02-2012, 11:18 PM
This sounds delightful, give examples, do tell, would love to see Cowboy kick father and son butts

Ironman92
06-02-2012, 11:20 PM

You cussed!

I cannot remember what it was about but I about wrecked the car when Marty started.....could not believe my ears.

Pretty good stuff.....but very diva-like from Marty.

Ironman92
06-02-2012, 11:21 PM
You cussed!

I cannot remember what it was about but I about wrecked the car when Marty started.....could not believe my ears.

Pretty good stuff.....but very diva-like from Marty.

You changed that quickly! Kudos

EMAW
06-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Have heard Marty is about as much fun as an ant at a picnic, really unpleasant to be around and makes life miserable for the people who cross or disagree with him. A guy that is local (Steve Physioc) used to do Reds in 80's, not a lotta love for old Marty from former broadcasters!

EMAW
06-02-2012, 11:42 PM
You changed that quickly! Kudos

Getting quicker (without steroids) in old age, as of today I am 17,154 days old

Ironman92
06-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Have heard Marty is about as much fun as an ant at a picnic, really unpleasant to be around and makes life miserable for the people who cross or disagree with him. A guy that is local (Steve Physioc) used to do Reds in 80's, not a lotta love for old Marty from former broadcasters!

Physioc used to do some Cubs stuff? Was he the guy that used to sing the Anthem before the game as well?

My only dealing with Marty was about 10 years ago he passed us on 275 heading to the ball game. He passed us in a Gold Cherokee and I told my wife and grandma....I think that was Marty Brennaman that just passed us...I sped up like a creeper and caught up beside him and it was.....he smiled and waved knowing what we were doing.

I started a thread on another site after that XM happening asking if others heard it on WLW and they said it was just soundness blank time for about 10 seconds. WLW was outta reach so I heard it full blow on XM.....wish I could find proof or a replay.

AintlifeGrande
06-02-2012, 11:54 PM
I thought about the thread on here about the anomosity between Thom and Welsh on tv.It must be true because I no longer hear Cowboy with Marty.I cant stand Marty and Welsh together.Thom must have asked Dad if he could have the Cowboy work tv with him.

Ironman92
06-03-2012, 12:00 AM
I thought about the thread on here about the anomosity between Thom and Welsh on tv.It must be true because I no longer hear Cowboy with Marty.I cant stand Marty and Welsh together.Thom must have asked Dad if he could have the Cowboy work tv with him.

Marty and Thom are the Banty Rooster and son.

EMAW
06-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Physioc used to do some Cubs stuff? Was he the guy that used to sing the Anthem before the game as well?

My only dealing with Marty was about 10 years ago he passed us on 275 heading to the ball game. He passed us in a Gold Cherokee and I told my wife and grandma....I think that was Marty Brennaman that just passed us...I sped up like a creeper and caught up beside him and it was.....he smiled and waved knowing what we were doing.

I started a thread on another site after that XM happening asking if others heard it on WLW and they said it was just soundness blank time for about 10 seconds. WLW was outta reach so I heard it full blow on XM.....wish I could find proof or a replay.

Steve Physioc (who now does Royals) came to Cincy from doing K-State games and tv in Topeka. He did Bearcats games, local tv sports, some Reds stuff. Later went to Angels and now back home to Royals. I think Wayne Messmer is the Cubs PA guy who used to sing the anthem?

Ironman92
06-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Steve Physioc (who now does Royals) came to Cincy from doing K-State games and tv in Topeka. He did Bearcats games, local tv sports, some Reds stuff. Later went to Angels and now back home to Royals. I think Wayne Messmer is the Cubs PA guy who used to sing the anthem?

Yes! Messmer!

Where have I heard Physioc?

Ironman92
06-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Yes! Messmer!

Where have I heard Physioc?

I watch an insane amout of sports....Physioc has done a little bit of everything.....I would've lost money on the Cubs thought.

BluegrassRedleg
06-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Funny this topic came up. I was thinking the exact same thing about Welsh. No idea why it's the case -- he seems to be the same guy, either way -- but for some reason it comes across better on radio IMO.

mikemo14
06-03-2012, 11:36 PM
I actually enjoy Welsh whether he is on radio or TV. I don't feel there is any animosity between him and Thom, it just seems like good natured banter between them from time to time. Brantley is horrible as a play by play guy on radio but very good as a color guy on TV. Just curious as to why the recent change. Do the Reds brass feel the same about the Cowboy. Was interesting today at the end of the radio broadcast as Welsh and Marty both wished each other good luck. Not sure what to make of that.

New York Red
06-04-2012, 05:20 AM
I don't think Marty likes anyone, or at least that's the way he comes across. I loved listening to Marty and Joe on the radio in my younger years, but I long ago grew tired of Marty's act. He's just an arrogant jerk. I hate saying anything negative about a Reds "legend", but it's the truth. Now that we get to see all the games on TV, I rarely ever listen to Reds radio anymore, and Marty is 100% the reason why.

On the other hand, I love the TV guys, especially the way they switch it up. My favorite duo is Thom and the Cowboy, but I like them all. I even like the rare occasions when they bring George back. I think the TV guys have a good thing going.

Moosie52
06-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Messmer sang at the Hawks games back in the Chicago Stadium days, as well.

OGB
06-04-2012, 08:36 PM
I love the switch. I think Welsh does a good PBP and he isn't as hopelessly cheesy when he doesn't have Kelch or Grande rubbing off on him. I feel like Brantley gets lost some times calling games and can be hard to follow. Welsh's style is much more fluid, IMO.
At the same time, I think Brantley gives some really good analysis. Being able to chime in with info about the game is his strength, trying to describe a ball hit into the gap is not. Also, I don't have to hear his "Axe Marty" nonsense, listen to him hoot and holler about guessing a trivia question correctly, or talk incessantly about fried chicken and ice cream.

I think these two are far better suited to the roles they've been currently occupying and I hope it continues.