PDA

View Full Version : Bad trades that are under the radar.

Assembly Hall
06-04-2012, 09:40 AM
My best friend came over y-day and we sat on the porch after the Reds game, drank a few brews, and discussed baseball.

We ended up talking about what he deemed a couple of bad trades the Cubs made that not many people talk about because the Cubs(in most of the fans minds) got success from the trades. He brought up the Cubs deal with the Indians that landed Rick Sutcliffe. Sutcliffe propelled the Cubs to the division title in '84 and also was on the '89 team that, position wise, was a completely different team. Because the Cubs won in '84, a lot of people fail to remember that the Indians received Mel Hall and Joe Carter. My buddy wonders how it would have been had that trade never happened.

Another one he brought up was prior to the '89 season when the Cubs got Mitch Williams from Texas. Williams was instrumental in helping the Cubs win the '89 division title. The downside to that trade was that the Cubs gave up Rafael Palmeiro.

Some trades accomplish what they are meant to do but it only last short term.

Revering4Blue
06-04-2012, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't classify the aforementioned trades as "bad" trades. I classify them as "live now-pay later" deals--cue the Foghat song of the same name--that accomplish, as you mentioned, short-term goals at the expense of future contributors.

OTTOMH, some Reds examples of "live now-pay later" deals:

Shane Rawley for Dave Collins (1977)

B.J Ryan (and Jacobo Sequea) for Juan Guzman (1999)

Assembly Hall
06-05-2012, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't classify the aforementioned trades as "bad" trades. I classify them as "live now-pay later" deals--cue the Foghat song of the same name--that accomplish, as you mentioned, short-term goals at the expense of future contributors.

OTTOMH, some Reds examples of "live now-pay later" deals:

Shane Rawley for Dave Collins (1977)

B.J Ryan (and Jacobo Sequea) for Juan Guzman (1999)

I cant argue your terminology. The Sutcliffe trade did work out for them in the long term unfortunately for the Cubs, save Ryno, the rest of that '84 team went into the tank in the next few years. The same can be said of the '89 team with the likes of Walton and Smith.

"live now-pay later".........I like that!!!!!!!!!