PDA

View Full Version : Reds rich history being ignored?

brm7675
06-04-2012, 12:16 PM
On friday nights game the Stros brought out those horrible uniforms from a few decades back, then I saw where this weekend the cubbies whipped out some retro uniforms for thier game. Has anyone ever seen the Reds do something like that for any home games? Also outside of the continual "love" for the BRM era team I can't remember much "love" by the franchise for other era teams. This coming weekend the Tigers will be in Cincy for a weekend series. To me this would have been a great time to honor/remember the 1940 WS between the Tigers and Reds with say retro uniforms and such, but nothing. I am continually amazed at how a franchise with such rich long history continues for the most part to just ignore it.

Who Dey Time
06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Visit the Reds Hall of Fame once and try to say that they ignore their rich history. Couple that with their HOF ceremonies each year and your claim above just doesn't wash with the reality of what happens in comparison to other teams.

Put it this way, the Reds put their history on display every home game for those who choose to go see. Throwback nights, etc. are and have always been more gimmick than a testament to days past.

brm7675
06-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Visit the Reds Hall of Fame once and try to say that they ignore their rich history. Couple that with their HOF ceremonies each year and your claim above just doesn't wash with the reality of what happens in comparison to other teams.

Put it this way, the Reds put their history on display every home game for those who choose to go see. Throwback nights, etc. are and have always been more gimmick than a testament to days past.

I have a membership to the HOF, and yes it's there, but so what, that doesn't mean they can't do more?

bounty37h
06-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I see it as a lost opp to raise money for charity/causes. I like the idea of retro unis, then auction them off after the game with money going to Reds Community Fund, or other local charities.

Who Dey Time
06-04-2012, 12:40 PM
I have a membership to the HOF, and yes it's there, but so what, that doesn't mean they can't do more?

You are claiming that the Reds are ignoring their history. The Reds are, IMO, at the top of the list of franchises that not only showcase their past but put it on display for their fans.

They can do a throwback night or two if they so choose. Personally, it wouldn't matter to me either way but your original premise that the Reds are ignoring their history is not accurate.

brm7675
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
You are claiming that the Reds are ignoring their history. The Reds are, IMO, at the top of the list of franchises that not only showcase their past but put it on display for their fans.

They can do a throwback night or two if they so choose. Personally, it wouldn't matter to me either way but your original premise that the Reds are ignoring their history is not accurate.

As you walk through the HOF, the majority of it is geared to the BRM and selective players who played post 1960. There is very little in the HOF about the teams of any other era.

I am wanting more then just throwback uniforms. Why not "highlight" your past in a give away or two per season? Why not recognize players and such more. How many young Reds fans know who Eppa is or Ewell Blackwell or Gene Freeze and such. When was the last time the other WS champions outside of the BRM/90 were highlighted? I mean really how many Votto or Bruce bobbleheads do we need?

New York Red
06-04-2012, 01:33 PM
I don't think it's a matter of not recognizing their history. It's more of a marketing and merchandising thing, IMO. I've wondered for many years why the Reds don't ever have a throwback jersey game or two each year. The Bengals are the same way, though I do recall at least one instance of there being a Bengals throwback jersey game, back in the mid-90's I believe.

webbbj
06-04-2012, 04:19 PM
prolly cus those unis are hideous looking is why they dont wear them. cant blame them.

brm7675
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
prolly cus those unis are hideous looking is why they dont wear them. cant blame them.

really? I think the BRM era ones are funny, but some of the other years have some real class and character in them to me...

bounty37h
06-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Cincy has had some great unis in the past, not all of them, but most of them. I would buy a retro grey vest jersey or one of those older styles in a heartbeat

dubc47834
06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Remember Glenn Bragg in those cutoff sleeves.....dude was a beast!!! I remember in the 1990 playoffs when he swung and missed and broke his bat on his back!!!

MrRed2127
06-04-2012, 05:49 PM
I believe last year, the Reds and Dodgers wore some throwback jerseys (granted it was in L.A.) with the Dodgers wearing a light blue jersey, and the Reds wearing one of similar era, not sure on the year of the jersey.

Also in 2010, against the Cardinals in the Civil Rights game, they wore a jersey from 1954 to honor Chuck Harmon (the game where they threw Skip Shumaker (sp?) out at home to end the game)

brm7675
06-04-2012, 06:47 PM
I believe last year, the Reds and Dodgers wore some throwback jerseys (granted it was in L.A.) with the Dodgers wearing a light blue jersey, and the Reds wearing one of similar era, not sure on the year of the jersey.

Also in 2010, against the Cardinals in the Civil Rights game, they wore a jersey from 1954 to honor Chuck Harmon (the game where they threw Skip Shumaker (sp?) out at home to end the game)

It seems to me the Reds do it more on the road then at home games..

Assembly Hall
06-04-2012, 07:45 PM
All that stuff is a gimmick.......to say that the tradition of the Reds is being ignored is ludicrous. C'mon man!!!!!!!:beerme:

jwmann2
06-05-2012, 02:13 AM
We do different hats on holidays. I think camouglafe uniforms like what the Padres do is absolutely hideous. Would be maybe nice to even see our boys in the Griffey/Larkin/Boone era uniforms.

joshua
06-05-2012, 02:51 AM
The Reds do tend to ignore their history previous to the Big Red Machine...and for a team with more history than any other sports team in the country, they should do a lot more. I'd love to see the team wear different throwback jerseys at home two or three times a year. I love it when other teams do it and wish the Reds did it more.

We do different hats on holidays. I think camouglafe uniforms like what the Padres do is absolutely hideous. Would be maybe nice to even see our boys in the Griffey/Larkin/Boone era uniforms.

Yeah, camo uniforms are the absolute worst. I think there could be better ways to honor our troops than wearing those things.

The Reds unis now are pretty awesome...my only complaint is the black bill on the away hats. Just doesn't look right at all. I'd wish they'd break out the ol' Big Red Machine uniforms with stirrups every once in awhile too. That's by far my favorite uni in Reds history.

texasdave
06-05-2012, 12:49 PM
I think camouglafe uniforms like what the Padres do is absolutely hideous.

I think those camouflage unis for the Padres are appropriate, since their offense hasn't been seen all year. :)

smixsell
06-05-2012, 04:55 PM
I would love to see the Reds in the BRM era home and road jerseys once in while.

texasdave
06-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Reds uniforms from 1900 to the present day. http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=&city=Cincinnati&lowYear=1869&highYear=2012&sort=year&increment=18

brm7675
06-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Reds uniforms from 1900 to the present day. http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=&city=Cincinnati&lowYear=1869&highYear=2012&sort=year&increment=18

It would have been cool to see the Reds wear the 40's uniforms this weekend...

chuck6660
06-05-2012, 10:19 PM
It cost $$$ to buy uniforms that will be worn 1-2 games a season, especially when your paying guys like K-wick $2,000,000

brm7675
06-06-2012, 11:05 AM
It cost $$$ to buy uniforms that will be worn 1-2 games a season, especially when your paying guys like K-wick $2,000,000

Other teams seem to have the "monies"...