PDA

View Full Version : Reds 1st Round Pick - Nick Travieso RHP

Who Dey Time
06-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Nick Travieso - RHP - topped out at 99mph in some workouts

6'2" 215 (Pembroke Pines, FL)

Committed to Miami, FL

Might be a bit of a reach as he was the 33rd overall prospect in the ESPN Top 100 rankings. Scouts said he was inconsistent but very good when performing at his best. Not sure if he projects to starter or reliever at the MLB level.

brm7675
06-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Eck....not impressed at all. To much better talent out there...

ShaySongz
06-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Coach em up! How can you say you dont like the kid and never seenm in action? He's a high schooler, 1-2 punch stephenson, Travieso five years from now!

ShaySongz
06-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Reds will probably never pick in the top ten to draft the top college pitchers (knock on wood) with experience, so their best option is to draft high school pitcher and develop him, get that top ten pick earlier, if projections hold up

R_Webb18
06-04-2012, 09:34 PM
ill wait a few years to judge

R_Webb18
06-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Eck....not impressed at all. To much better talent out there...

of course ur not

mroby85
06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
It's hard enough to evaluate college football players being drafted after watching them 3-4 years, analyzing a baseball pick, especially a pick from high school is comical. I'm not saying to not talk about it, but I think saying its a good pick or a bad pick is very premature at this point to say the least.

brm7675
06-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Drafting HS kids have higher risk and this kid wasn't even a top 30 player. I don't like reaching especially for a pitcher and who is in HS.

RedsFanInBama
06-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Drafting HS kids have higher risk and this kid wasn't even a top 30 player. I don't like reaching especially for a pitcher and who is in HS.

Who says he's a reach? Let the thing play out at least for a little while.

Furthermore, in the other draft thread you said the MLB draft was the biggest crapshoot in sports, and yet you're complaining that we "reached" for a guy by picking him 14 when he was rated in the 30s? How is it possible to hold both of those opinions at the same time?

drowg14
06-05-2012, 12:10 AM
The draft is a crapshoot. Take the player you like. If they Reds miss on Travieso at least they went with the player they liked. If they chose based on what other people think, whether the player turned out to be a bust or a hall of famer, I would expect the person in charge of the draft to be out of a job. I'll give the reds talent evaluators the benefit of the doubt over any member on this board.

Ironman92
06-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Mike Piazza in the 62nd round......what a waste. Favor? Awful pick.

R_Webb18
06-05-2012, 01:28 AM

im pretty sure reds you there own grade

nw_ohio_fan
06-05-2012, 01:31 AM
I don't think it is a horrible pick. I came across this article: http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120604&content_id=32756160&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

lidspinner
06-05-2012, 06:06 AM
I like the pick...familar with the Reds sysytem...throws hard, coach-able, lots of upside....I like the pick and when you have a power pitcher, you like to think if he can learn to throw strikes and hit his off speed pitches for strikes, then he can make the big league team pretty quick compared to teaching a position player to hit and field at the big league level.....

I am not ready to say I love the pick, but I am going on record as saying I dont think I would have picked anyone else and been in love.....Once again, if they can teach him an off speed pitch and teach him to throw strikes, you might just see this kid pretty quick. you cannot teach speed and you cannot teach the bulldog mentality.....lets hope he turns out to be a gem.:thumbup:

5TimeWSChamps
06-05-2012, 07:04 AM
My problem with the pick is this...If you assume this team is going to contend the next 5-6 years, which by the financial commitment management made, that this is what they believe, you are going to be drafting 21-30 the next 5-6 years....

Giolito was widely considered a Top 3 prospect talent-wise, and considering where your future drafts are going to be, if you had the chance to take a Top 3 talent in the draft, you HAVE to do it

Girevik
06-05-2012, 08:51 AM

According to the Reds' sounts he obviously was a top 30 player or they wouldn't have taken him. Now we'll see who's right, ESPN or the Reds.

Girevik
06-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Giolito was widely considered a Top 3 prospect talent-wise, and considering where your future drafts are going to be, if you had the chance to take a Top 3 talent in the draft, you HAVE to do it

There are at least 13 major league front offices obviously didn't consider him a top 3 prospect, so I don't know how "widely considered" that might have been.

brm7675
06-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Who says he's a reach? Let the thing play out at least for a little while.

Furthermore, in the other draft thread you said the MLB draft was the biggest crapshoot in sports, and yet you're complaining that we "reached" for a guy by picking him 14 when he was rated in the 30s? How is it possible to hold both of those opinions at the same time?

When you take a kid who isn't even in the top 30 of almost all graders at the 14th spot, it's called a reach. Since the MLB draft is such a crapshoot why reach? I mean when there is a better odds with players who have more experience. I want to maximize my odds of getting a player who can contribute as soon as possible at this point. A pitcher, especially HS pitcher is going to take more time to develop, especially a kid like this who right now isn't a pitcher but just a hard thrower.

brm7675
06-05-2012, 10:52 AM
According to the Reds' sounts he obviously was a top 30 player or they wouldn't have taken him. Now we'll see who's right, ESPN or the Reds.

Well come around 2019 or 19 we will..

RedsFanInBama
06-05-2012, 11:36 AM
When you take a kid who isn't even in the top 30 of almost all graders at the 14th spot, it's called a reach. Since the MLB draft is such a crapshoot why reach? I mean when there is a better odds with players who have more experience. I want to maximize my odds of getting a player who can contribute as soon as possible at this point. A pitcher, especially HS pitcher is going to take more time to develop, especially a kid like this who right now isn't a pitcher but just a hard thrower.

If it's a crapshoot, how can it be a reach? You're basically arguing, "Nobody knows how ANY of these players will turn out, but I can tell you we made a bad pick."

And if you EVER look at the draft as an opportunity to pick a player that can help you quickly, you're making a mistake. You pick a player that you feel good about long term, not a player that can be here in 2014. Yes, there is more of a risk with high school guys, but with a guy like this there is also a huge upside simply because of the power he possesses with his right arm.

nw_ohio_fan
06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
You can't teach 99 mph. The Reds have watched him a ton. Another factor is they feel he is signable. What good would a Giolito be if you can't sign him. Also why did so many teams pass on a guy like Giolito? There has to be a reason and we may never know.

Pony Boy
06-05-2012, 01:09 PM
It strikes me as very silly to criticize draft picks. I think that Buckley and the Reds might know a little bit more about these prospects than we do. Buckley has a great track record drafting players, especially in the early rounds.

I'm guessing that he knew that BA didnt have Travieso ranked as a first rounder. He obviously disagrees.

Gizmo
06-05-2012, 01:58 PM
You can't teach 99 mph. The Reds have watched him a ton. Another factor is they feel he is signable. What good would a Giolito be if you can't sign him. Also why did so many teams pass on a guy like Giolito? There has to be a reason and we may never know.

could it be the elbow injury (http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun/03/sports/la-sp-0604-golden-arm-giolito-20120604)? When I heard that it sounded like a risky pick to take him.