PDA

View Full Version : SI article on Joey Votto

dubc47834
06-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Nice article about Joey. Says he is the best hitter nobody is hearing about. Also gives some more crazy stats about his career. Plus it says he is the only all star 1B from the last 7 years that is not on the DL. Also to the poster the other nite that was arguing about Votto not popping out to the infield, once again it says it again in this article. Clearly you are misremembering a la Roger Clemens. Just sayin when you say you saw it!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/06/05/joey.votto.reds/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a0

KYRedLeg
06-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Also to the poster the other nite that was arguing about Votto not popping out to the infield, once again it says it again in this article.

Tracy Jones has been throwing that around on-air on WLW for the last couple of days.

Ironman92
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
He's no Austin Kearns

MrRedLegger
06-07-2012, 10:40 AM
I was at the game last night, was VERY fortunate and was able to get diamond club tickets at the last minute....anywho, there's a long window in the dining room that allows you to see the players walk through a hallway from the locker room to the field. Watching the players walk through was incredible to see, but I'll never forget what I saw next...

During the singing of the National Anthem, everyone in the stadium took a pause. People in their seats arose and took off their hats, the ones still in the restaurant put down their utensils and drinks, and even the entire staff took a break from their work to honor the moment. Everyone in Great American Ballpark froze, except for one person.

Joey Votto was hitting baseballs in the locker room. You could see from behind the glass and through an open door that he was taking pitches from a machine. Working on his swing until he absolutely needed to be on the field at first base while the rest of the team was on the field watching the woman sing. To Mr. Votto, his work is never over. This moment I will never forget.

And this is just one of the reasons why Joey Votto is the best hitter in baseball.

Go Reds!

Ironman92
06-07-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm still afraid he's going to fly out to the warning track while ahead 8-1 and go kill baby koala bears.

He's a touch intense. Lol

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Reds did to Votto what the Rangers do to Adrian Beltre. I could just see Votto beating the crap out of about 4 guys after hitting a HR.

redssince75
06-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Nice article about Joey. Says he is the best hitter nobody is hearing about. Also gives some more crazy stats about his career. Plus it says he is the only all star 1B from the last 7 years that is not on the DL. Also to the poster the other nite that was arguing about Votto not popping out to the infield, once again it says it again in this article. Clearly you are misremembering a la Roger Clemens. Just sayin when you say you saw it!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/06/05/joey.votto.reds/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a0

Who you gonna believe, my eyes or the media? ESPN play-by-play from May 9, 2012, Reds vs. Milwaukee.

Cincinnati - Top of 4th
Zack Greinke pitching for Milwaukee
Z Cozart struck out swinging. 0 0
D Stubbs doubled to deep right center. 0 0
J Votto popped out to shortstop.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=320509108

MrRedLegger
06-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Who you gonna believe, my eyes or the media? ESPN play-by-play from May 9, 2012, Reds vs. Milwaukee.

Cincinnati - Top of 4th

I think that one made it to the OF grass. Just because the infielder committed to the ball doesn't make it an infield fly. I could be wrong.

Falcon7
06-07-2012, 03:51 PM

Cincinnati - Top of 4th

Was the SS in short/medium left field? Not sure it would matter, just asking...

redssince75
06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
So I found actual, objective evidence that I'm not nuts and that Votto has indeed popped out to an infielder this year....and now I've gotta find some other evidence of where that infielder was when he caught the pop out??!!

You guys are breakin' my b***s!

texasdave
06-07-2012, 05:22 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/joey-votto/hitchart/443857?q=joey-votto

Sort it to Miller Park and all outs and, Voila!, nowhere near the infield.

redssince75
06-07-2012, 05:24 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/joey-votto/hitchart/443857?q=joey-votto

Sort it to Miller Park and all outs and, Voila!, nowhere near the infield.

Huh?

I did that sort and I see a red "out" almost exactly where the shortstop plays (between the 100 and the 150 and in the SS position slightly toward the 2B bag).

What do I win?

texasdave
06-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Huh?

I did that sort and I see a red "out" almost exactly where the shortstop plays (between the 100 and the 150 and in the SS position slightly toward the 2B bag).

What do I win?

If you mouse your cursor over that you will see that is a ground out. The Pop out is just pass the 200 foot mark in left center.

So you win nothing. Nothing. (In my best Willie Wonka voice.) :)

redssince75
06-07-2012, 05:41 PM
If you mouse your cursor over that you will see that is a ground out. The Pop out is just pass the 200 foot mark in left center.

So you win nothing. Nothing. (In my best Willie Wonka voice.) :)

For a 200 ft pop out caught by the SS when 2B is 127 feet from home plate, I'm at least gonna take the damn everlasting gobstopper.

texasdave
06-07-2012, 05:53 PM
For a 200 ft pop out caught by the SS when 2B is 127 feet from home plate, I'm at least gonna take the damn everlasting gobstopper.

I think for knowing second base is 127 feet from home, you deserve a gobstobber. :laugh:

Mutaman
06-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I was at the game last night, was VERY fortunate and was able to get diamond club tickets at the last minute....anywho, there's a long window in the dining room that allows you to see the players walk through a hallway from the locker room to the field. Watching the players walk through was incredible to see, but I'll never forget what I saw next...

During the singing of the National Anthem, everyone in the stadium took a pause. People in their seats arose and took off their hats, the ones still in the restaurant put down their utensils and drinks, and even the entire staff took a break from their work to honor the moment. Everyone in Great American Ballpark froze, except for one person.

Joey Votto was hitting baseballs in the locker room. You could see from behind the glass and through an open door that he was taking pitches from a machine. Working on his swing until he absolutely needed to be on the field at first base while the rest of the team was on the field watching the woman sing. To Mr. Votto, his work is never over. This moment I will never forget.

And this is just one of the reasons why Joey Votto is the best hitter in baseball.

Go Reds!

Just an outstanding post. Thanks.