PDA

View Full Version : Would you stop following/watching MLB

brm7675
06-07-2012, 06:48 PM
MLB is considering expanding replay to other areas of the game to get more calls correct. My buddy who is a pretty hard core baseball fan has said if they expand it anymore he will stop watching the games and never follow baseball again because it will no longer be baseball, but in fact a "reality" show for TV.

So how do you all here view replay? I love, I hate the idea of missed called happening when it's clear there is a way to stop or reduce them. My friend says that human error is not only part of the game, but key to it as without it why even play.

P.E.R#14
06-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I think MLB should not allow extreme slow-mo replays even for TV viewers. Also, it would be interesting if umpires were equipped with cameras on their hats so the only replay you get is not only real-speed but exactly what the umpire saw.

There were fewer issues before extra slow-mo instant replay.

Don't ruin America's Pasttime!!

brm7675
06-07-2012, 07:05 PM
I think MLB should not allow extreme slow-mo replays even for TV viewers. Also, it would be interesting if umpires were equipped with cameras on their hats so the only replay you get is not only real-speed but exactly what the umpire saw.

There were fewer issues before extra slow-mo instant replay.

Don't ruin America's Pasttime!!

So that would be a "NO" for you?

Joesh
06-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I'd like to see robots, lasers, etc, someday. I don't care that it ruins the "tradition" of the game.

I cannot and will not accept that "human error" is part of the game from an officiating standpoint. It is impossible for human being to be unbiased and perfect yet they (umpires,refs,etc) are tasked with exactly that.

So NO I would not stop watching MLB, and your friend wouldn't either

R_Webb18
06-07-2012, 07:49 PM
i must be younger than most but the more replay the better imo

drowg14
06-07-2012, 07:51 PM
i must be younger than most but the more replay the better imo

Eh, I'm pretty young and I'm against replay.

bounty37h
06-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Def would not impact if I watch or not. Not sure I am a fan of it, but wont bother me either way.

brm7675
06-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I'd like to see robots, lasers, etc, someday. I don't care that it ruins the "tradition" of the game.

I cannot and will not accept that "human error" is part of the game from an officiating standpoint. It is impossible for human being to be unbiased and perfect yet they (umpires,refs,etc) are tasked with exactly that.

So NO I would not stop watching MLB, and your friend wouldn't either

My friend already watches less due to interleague play and the present replay system..

m21eagle45
06-08-2012, 12:25 PM
If replay will stop the awful calls like the one with Todd Helton at first, then I am all for it. Calls like that scream for replay. I understand not wanting to replay the bang bang play, and I am fine with that. But calls that are so obviously bad ruin the game in my opinion.

So no, I would keep watching baseball.

joshua
06-08-2012, 12:34 PM
The fun of baseball is that it's been pretty much unchanged since the 1860's...unlike football which has changed considerably. You don't see people comparing Unitas to Manning because they both played completely different games. However, there's been many articles written on Bonds vs. Ruth. Keep it the way it is. Blown officiating in part of the game.

SidneySlicker
06-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Good topic. While there are allways exceptions to the rule I think baseball's unwillingness to modernize itself is why it's become largely detached from today's youth. They can say attendance is increasing yada, yada, yada, fact is they can make numbers say whatever they want to say. While they have made changes to how it's packaged in the media via the internet, etc they've failed to make changes to the game itself to make the game more appealing and feasible to the younger generation. Just my opinion. I love the game of baseball, and while the tradition at all costs may not kill it, it will keep it from the popularity and heights it could achieve otherwise.

SidneySlicker
06-08-2012, 12:44 PM
The fun of baseball is that it's been pretty much unchanged since the 1860's...unlike football which has changed considerably. You don't see people comparing Unitas to Manning because they both played completely different games. However, there's been many articles written on Bonds vs. Ruth. Keep it the way it is. Blown officiating in part of the game.

Sorry, but the steroid era did all but kill any ideas of comparing power numbers of modern day players to vintage players. That along with modern ball parks and diluted pitching has help to make the game much different then the "good ole days" as many like to think. It's not relevant in general to todays youth and society.

webbbj
06-08-2012, 03:25 PM

sounds more like a problem with baseball. its just not innovative. i laugh when baseball pple bring up babe ruth like he is some god or something. the guy was fat and drank beer and ate hotdogs pregame. he hasnt played in a 100 years and athletically is about david wells right now.

And yes bring as much replay or technology as possible.

bmwreds31
06-08-2012, 03:55 PM
i think your friends dumb. And so is his reasoning.