PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Quentin - at what cost?

rgslone
06-11-2012, 03:57 PM
How big of an impact, if any, do you think Carlos Quentin would have hitting 4th for the Reds the remainder of the season? Given the likely demand, what do you think it would take for the Reds to get him - and would it be worth it to rent him just for the rest of the season?

Ironman92
06-11-2012, 04:11 PM
He would have a small to decent impact.....we have nothing in the minors that we should give, give them Heisey and Massett and a couple minor leaguers (no one big)

miamiredskin
06-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Give them Stubbs, Valdez, Rolen and a-player-to-be-named-later.
Insist that they take Stubbs.

R_Webb18
06-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Give them Stubbs, Valdez, Rolen and a-player-to-be-named-later.
Insist that they take Stubbs.
think 1st. why would they want any1 on that list besides stubbs?

Assembly Hall
06-12-2012, 06:10 AM
I think he would a big impact for us, but imagine the pricetag would be steep. Maybe something along the lines of Heisey or Stubbs, JJ Hoover and a top prospect.

5TimeWSChamps
06-12-2012, 06:26 AM
I think he would a big impact for us, but imagine the pricetag would be steep. Maybe something along the lines of Heisey or Stubbs, JJ Hoover and a top prospect.

I dunno man, He's gonna be a FA after the year. I'd bet if the Reds picked up the remaining part of the $7.25 mil this year, they'd get him for basically a low-level prospect

Assembly Hall
06-12-2012, 06:50 AM
I dunno man, He's gonna be a FA after the year. I'd bet if the Reds picked up the remaining part of the $7.25 mil this year, they'd get him for basically a low-level prospect

I really dont think so. I would think the Padres are gonna get a bunch of interest in him from several teams and the package price will escalate.

Outrider
06-12-2012, 07:26 AM
I don't like signing players in the last year of the contract to those end-of-season deals. That's just wasting money for a short term solution. I'd rather build for competitiveness year after year than one time. I'd only sign a guy in his last year if he agrees to a multi year deal, unless he's very cheap.

Old NDN
06-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Quentin would probably be an improvement over what the Reds are getting out of LF presently. But he reminds me to much of Jonny Gomes WHEN he's able to play. I don't see the Reds as having too many prospects left (that they would trade) that would be attractive to teams. I surely don't see them taking on a lot more salary.

Ironman92
06-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Quentin would probably be an improvement over what the Reds are getting out of LF presently. But he reminds me to much of Jonny Gomes WHEN he's able to play. I don't see the Reds as having too many prospects left (that they would trade) that would be attractive to teams. I surely don't see them taking on a lot more salary.

Jonny Gomes? Ryan Ludwick is Gomes. Health is a concern, but his ceiling is far higher than theirs.

Stray
06-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Our window isn't closing, we don't have a lot of aging stars or soon to be free agents so I'm not really wanting to give away a ton for a half season rental. I think they'll want a lot, I don't want to give away guys that can help us for the next several years for this kinda move. If it wouldn't take that much then I'm all for it.

Assembly Hall
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Our window isn't closing, we don't have a lot of aging stars or soon to be free agents so I'm not really wanting to give away a ton for a half season rental. I think they'll want a lot, I don't want to give away guys that can help us for the next several years for this kinda move. If it wouldn't take that much then I'm all for it.

I agree.

nmculbreth
06-12-2012, 11:04 AM
I don't understand the fascination with Carlos Quentin.

Quentin has had exactly one season where he was an elite performer and that was in 2008. Since then he's put up seasons of .779, .821 and .838 in OPS, while playing miserable defense.

I'm not sure how that can be construed as an upgrade, particularly when you'll likely have to give up a decent prospect or two to acquire him.

brm7675
06-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Given the limited market this guy is going to require at least a mid to top level prospect and a couple other players. I say pass as I am not a fan of "rentals".

rgslone
06-12-2012, 12:33 PM
If the Padres are not planning on re-signing Quentin, would they still recieve any type of compensation due to his free agency? If not, then they have to move him. I'm confident that there are going to be a number of interested parties, but I would guess that the cost the teams are willing to pay would be tied to their intent to sign him to a multi-year contract. If they intend to sign him, I suppose they would offer more. I personally would like to see the Reds have Quentin for 2-3yrs. I don't see a LF in the minors that is knocking on the door, and Quentin would look pretty good hitting between Votto and Bruce.

krm1580
06-12-2012, 12:43 PM
I don't understand the fascination with Carlos Quentin.

Quentin has had exactly one season where he was an elite performer and that was in 2008. Since then he's put up seasons of .779, .821 and .838 in OPS, while playing miserable defense.

I'm not sure how that can be construed as an upgrade, particularly when you'll likely have to give up a decent prospect or two to acquire him.

I think people are looking at his current OPS of 1.470 while playing in San Diego and compare it to the .291/.376./.668 slash line we are currently getting out of LF and its a big upgrade.

To your point though, he is a pretty average player, is a rental and San Diego will look to push him to the highest bidder as if he actually were a 1.000OPS guy.

Unfortunately LF continues to be a black hole for this season and unless they take a risk on another Matt Latos type deal in the offseason, I can't see how they fix it now or in the near future.

rgslone
06-12-2012, 01:05 PM
krm1580, I don't presently see a LF fix either. Given that, do you think that Quentin is a potential fit for the Reds? I know that any of us could name other players we would rather have - but this guy is one that realistically can be had. I'm not knowledgable enough to know what the right price is, but if the "right price" could be found for the Reds I think he could really improve this lineup. We could move Phillips back to the top of the batting order (1st or 2nd) and get Stubbs/Heisey back into the 6th/7th spot where they belong.

Actually, I wouldn't mind trading Stubbs for Quentin, although I have no idea if a CF is even something the Padres would need. Given that the Padres aren't going anywhere this year, and will only have Quentin for the remainder of the season, I don't think Stubbs for Quentin is horrible from their perspective (although I guess it might take more to get the deal done).

Dru4u73
06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
I can see giving up Stubbs and some minor leaguers with the way Heisey has been playing in center. I do think plugging him in at clean up makes this team better. I just don't think we can put a package together that will beat out other teams seeking his talents.

Assembly Hall
06-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I dont know if I would call him "average". His career stats say he is a 20+ HR, and a 80+ RBI guy. The problem has been actually playing.

I agree that he can be had. It is a definite upgrade over what we got and he would fill the 4 spot quite nicely.

I too would be willing to give up Stubbs, if and only if, it were a straight up trade.

OneManBand
06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Why would the Padres want Stubbs when they have Cameron Maybin?

I look at a deal around Heisey, Arredondo, Kyle Lotzkar / (maybe Danny Corcino), and Didi Gregorius.

RedsFanInBama
06-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Vlad just became available.

brm7675
06-12-2012, 03:35 PM
I think the "odds" or "chances" that Walt makes any kind of deal to bring in someone we or the fan base view as a "big" addition is slim to none. According to Walt there is little to no monies to pay these players and there are very few out there that will have their present team eat a major portion without wanting some "major" minor league talent in return which I don't see Walt giving up. We have to hope that a Gaithright that is in AAA right now can maybe "catch" fire and do something, or we are stuck with what we have...

krm1580
06-12-2012, 05:33 PM
krm1580, I don't presently see a LF fix either. Given that, do you think that Quentin is a potential fit for the Reds? I know that any of us could name other players we would rather have - but this guy is one that realistically can be had. I'm not knowledgable enough to know what the right price is, but if the "right price" could be found for the Reds I think he could really improve this lineup. We could move Phillips back to the top of the batting order (1st or 2nd) and get Stubbs/Heisey back into the 6th/7th spot where they belong.

Actually, I wouldn't mind trading Stubbs for Quentin, although I have no idea if a CF is even something the Padres would need. Given that the Padres aren't going anywhere this year, and will only have Quentin for the remainder of the season, I don't think Stubbs for Quentin is horrible from their perspective (although I guess it might take more to get the deal done).

I will break it down as I see it.

He is a 29 year old, having a good season, in the last year of his contract that pays him 7million per year. If he continues to hit, he will ask for more than 7million per year. Also at 29 years old, odds are this is his last opportunity for a big money contract, especially considering he is fragile.

Based on that, the question is would the Reds be willing to sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal, after this season at say 10 mill per year. My answer would be a resounding NO.

Based on that assumption, what are you willing to give up for 3 months of Quentin? My response is organizational filler. Will the Padres demand and probably get more than that, I would say yes.

So connecting the dots, my guess is no he is not a good fit for the Reds.

Assembly Hall
06-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Why would the Padres want Stubbs when they have Cameron Maybin?

I look at a deal around Heisey, Arredondo, Kyle Lotzkar / (maybe Danny Corcino), and Didi Gregorius.

I dont know if they would want him or not. I just stated that I would swap Stubbs for Quentin. That is the only deal I would make.