PDA

View Full Version : Goodreads.com

marcshoe
06-12-2012, 11:33 AM
I was wondering whether anyone here is a member of Goodreads.com (https://www.goodreads.com/). I just found this site yesterday, and it's monopolized my time ever since. I keep telling myself that I need to do more productive things than rate books and write reviews.

When I started adding Facebook friends and people I follow on Twitter, I was surprised to see that my sister, who almost never reads, is a member. If anyone is on there and wants to add me, my username is marcshoe.

Redsfaithful
06-12-2012, 01:59 PM
I've really come to love GoodReads. I never spend money on books anymore, I find recommendations there, reserve at my Columbus library branch, and go pick them up when ready. Takes 5 minutes, and I've got a steady stream of books to read. Here's my profile if anyone wants to add me:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4283896-jd-arney

Added you tixe!

marcshoe
06-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks!

pedro
06-12-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm on goodreads too. I added you both. :)

WMR
06-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I've really come to love GoodReads. I never spend money on books anymore, I find recommendations there, reserve at my Columbus library branch, and go pick them up when ready. Takes 5 minutes, and I've got a steady stream of books to read. Here's my profile if anyone wants to add me:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4283896-jd-arney

Added you tixe!

Kindle Fire and iPad have completely ruined old-school books for me. Amazing how much more I prefer the digital version now that I've become accustomed to it, even if it means forking out some cash.

Redsfaithful
06-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Kindle Fire and iPad have completely ruined old-school books for me. Amazing how much more I prefer the digital version now that I've become accustomed to it, even if it means forking out some cash.

We have an iPad, but it seems like my kids get most of the use out of it. I've tried reading books on it and just can't do it. I might try a Kindle at some point.

The downside to books for me has always been having to store them. Having a shelf or two is fine, but as much as I love to read I don't really want to have hundreds/thousands of anything ... too much like hoarding. The iPad or Kindle solves that, but so does the library.

I'm only 30, but my inability to adapt to reading books on a screen makes me wonder what else I might struggle with as I get older. Will be fun to find out.

AtomicDumpling
06-13-2012, 05:47 AM
I joined Goodreads a couple months ago. I enjoy it. I still need to add in a ton of books to my bookshelves. The best part of the site is the groups you can join to discuss books of your favorite topics.

Feel free to add me. Here is my profile: AtomicDumpling's Goodreads profile (http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8810576-nick-doran)

RichRed
06-13-2012, 01:53 PM
We have an iPad, but it seems like my kids get most of the use out of it. I've tried reading books on it and just can't do it. I might try a Kindle at some point.

The downside to books for me has always been having to store them. Having a shelf or two is fine, but as much as I love to read I don't really want to have hundreds/thousands of anything ... too much like hoarding. The iPad or Kindle solves that, but so does the library.

I'm only 30, but my inability to adapt to reading books on a screen makes me wonder what else I might struggle with as I get older. Will be fun to find out.

I'm a big library guy too. I've read a few things on the iPad but I still prefer holding a real book. Also, books are heavy when you have to move.

I just started on goodreads.com but you guys can feel free to add me. My user name is RichRead.

BillDoran
06-13-2012, 02:21 PM
I've been a member for a few years (transferred my LibraryThing account) and have loved it since.

It has the features to be a literary Facebook, but I don't really use many of those functions. I just really like adding, culling, and organizing my book lists.

It seems more socially acceptable than my past practice of regularly carrying and obsessing over book lists on my person. I know this is not normal, and one day I will seek psychiatric help. :)