PDA

View Full Version : What Will It Take

MrRedLegger
06-15-2012, 02:17 PM
What will it take for Dusty to manage the Reds next year??

The All-Star break is right around the corner and the Reds are in 1st Place. We all wanted it to be like this, but during April who saw this happening...

I won't get into numbers in this thread. But let's say (God Willing!) we make the playoffs. Maybe a run in the playoffs. Maybe a pennant race. Maybe a shot at a championship.

Imagine you own the Reds. What is the minimum that must happen in order for you to invite Dusty back for an additional season(s)?

Considering we have two rookies in our infield, injuries to a few starters, and a tumbleweed rolling through our bench, we are looking pretty darn good under Dusty right now. Considering who this team is and what they've done, it seems to me that no matter how they do this season, Dusty's work with the Reds could be considered "unfinished."

A few positives (that I blame Dusty for):

Phillips BA, OBP, & SLG took a dip after moving to cleanup. Since that decline, they have all increased and are still trending upward. He is flirting with a .300 BA and a .800 OPS (OK, a few numbers) with a boost coming after the Cleveland series. The dreaded move to cleanup, initially unpopular among Dusty critics, seems to be working itself out. For that I blame Dusty.

Our pitching staff has held up and performed above all expectations regardless of a 3rd party opinion of how they'd manage it differently. Given the early setbacks to our pitching staff, we have (by Reds' terms) an ACE, a veteran arm, and 3 young pitchers that are continuously improving. Not to mention the best bullpen in baseball and the most feared closer in the game (who will only continute to benefit this team no matter what point in the game he pitches) For this I blame Dusty.

Never before has the wagging of a finger brought so much support and fire for the team. Since the Lowe debacle and the 17-hit stomping, clubhouse morale is high--and for this, it's also Dusty's fault.

So what will it take for you to want Dusty to manage the 2013 Cincinnati Reds.

brm7675
06-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Unless the Reds totally tank and finish way under .500 Dusty will be back on another 2-3 year deal without question...

Ironman92
06-15-2012, 03:29 PM
I do not believe Dusty will be back next year no matter how good or bad it ends up.

I believe he will retire. He needs to get plenty of his kids. He's been in baseball for about 50 years....a good run. A very good player and a manager that has been around a long time.

brm7675
06-15-2012, 03:31 PM
I do not believe Dusty will be back next year no matter how good or bad it ends up.

I believe he will retire. He needs to get plenty of his kids. He's been in baseball for about 50 years....a good run. A very good player and a manager that has been around a long time.

Only way I see him retiring is if he does a TL. IF the Reds win it all then and only then would I see him walk away. He is still very young in the manager world.

Ironman92
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
How is he very young in the manager world? Lol

Yeah, he's definitely in good enough shape to manage another 5 years....but he's been doing this forever.

Ironman92
06-15-2012, 03:47 PM
He was a player in the minors in 1967 and was a major leaguer from 1968-1986....in 1988 he was a first base coach. 1989-1992 he was a hitting coach....1993-2012 he has been a manager (2007 didn't manage)

Straight out of high school the guy has been in major league baseball for 42 years....with only 2 seasons off.

herbdizzle
06-15-2012, 03:54 PM
If the Reds win the division and look competitive in the playoffs I would extend Dusty for a 2-year deal. He has frustrating parts to his style but the Reds players love the guy and the team has an attitude toughness about them that seems to prevent them from suffering long losing streaks. The Reds have several title caliber pieces such as Votto, Phillips, Cueto, Chapman with several nice secondary players in Bruce, Hanigan, Cozart, & Latos. I'm assuming that Jocketty will provide the complementary pieces in a bench OF LHH bat. If Dusty cannot perform this year then I hope he doesn't return.

On the Sunday night Tigers game, Terry Francona was very complementary of Cincinnati, its fans, and the Reds team in general. I'd make a huge run at him if this team underperforms the rest of 2012.

smixsell
06-15-2012, 08:15 PM
What will it take for Dusty to manage the Reds next year??

Castellini and Jocketty both coming down with profound dementia.

smixsell
06-15-2012, 08:17 PM
So what will it take for you to want Dusty to manage the 2013 Cincinnati Reds.

A World Series victory........and even then I'd be strongly conflicted about it. (I'm not kidding)

smixsell
06-15-2012, 08:18 PM

I believe he will retire.

This.

smixsell
06-15-2012, 08:21 PM
PS I would LOVE to see Dusty win the World Series with the Reds and then retire. I've nothing against the guy, nice guy and all, but just not the right guy to lead an MLB team.

smixsell
06-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Unless the Reds totally tank and finish way under .500 Dusty will be back on another 2-3 year deal without question...

Not going to happen IMO. He's been given an ultimatum by the brass, that's why he is managing a bit better this year.

EMAW
06-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Castellini and Jocketty both coming down with profound dementia.

As someone with a dad with dementia, really, really find that comment very offensive.

lidspinner
06-15-2012, 10:45 PM
As someone with a dad with dementia, really, really find that comment very offensive.

I have a Gma with dementia but I took the joke in stride....its common these days, just as is other old people jokes about losing their mind...I dont think it was meant in any other way than trying to be funny...I am sure if the guy had a family member with dementia then he would not of posted it but I hold no ill will towards anyone who says something like that.....its not meant as a smack towards us or our relatives that have it. I have learned to deal with this kind of talk...its all good, I hope you think so as well...and I pray that your dad's health stays as good as possible...its hard man, I understand. Hold your head up

EMAW
06-15-2012, 10:54 PM
thank you lidspinner
Tough these days with Father's Day coming up
Sparky had dementia

Who Dey Time
06-15-2012, 11:04 PM
A World Series victory........and even then I'd be strongly conflicted about it. (I'm not kidding)

But you have nothing against the guy. :confused: