PDA

View Full Version : Trade idea

Birbdareddaddy
06-16-2012, 02:35 AM
Would it be possible to offer a bullpen arm, Heisey, and a minor league arm to basically rent Ichiro for the rest of the season, since his contract is up in 2012. It would give us a proven leadoff hitter and outstanding OF defense, in an effort to win the world series. I think it's the most glaring hole on this roster along with the cleanup spot. The cleanup spot seems like it's going to be difficult to fill at the trading deadline. I'm aware that Ichiro has been on the decline but I think there's enough left in the tank to make him a valuable piece to a championship. What do you guys think?

RedsFanInBama
06-16-2012, 02:51 AM
The problem is that Ichiro isn't the Ichrio we're used to. He's getting on base at a .290 clip. That's obviously better than Cozart as leadoff (although I think he's improving), but it's not worlds better.

Are you willing to trade Heisey and a major league bullpen arm and a minor leaguer for an old guy that gets on base basically one more time every 33 at-bats than the guy you have leading off right now? I don't think that is at all worth it. I'd much rather see a move for someone like Dexter Fowler.

The DARK
06-16-2012, 02:53 AM
That would be massively overpaying for a guy earning $17 million (they would have to eat all of his salary) with a lower OBP than Heisey and who's 38. Besides, as a probable future HOFer, I imagine he'd like to remain in Seattle to finish his career as a Mariner.

Heisey is valuable as a cost-controlled outfielder with good pinch hitting skills, and we need to save where we can after signing Votto and Phillips to such massive contracts.

Birbdareddaddy
06-16-2012, 02:56 AM
Oh it goes without saying their gonna eat the contract. The bullpen becomes crowded when Bray and Massett return, so i don't view that as hurting us very much and a low level pitching prospect wouldn't really effect us at all. I guess I'd just be more comfortable with the idea of Ichiro hitting for us in the playoffs as opposed to Heisey. Anyways just spitballing:)

The DARK
06-16-2012, 03:08 AM
Oh it goes without saying their gonna eat the contract. The bullpen becomes crowded when Bray and Massett return, so i don't view that as hurting us very much and a low level pitching prospect wouldn't really effect us at all. I guess I'd just be more comfortable with the idea of Ichiro hitting for us in the playoffs as opposed to Heisey. Anyways just spitballing:)

No problem, and I do think he'd be a very cool addition, but the package you suggested could fetch a Shane Victorino or more depending on the value of the minor league arm.

jwmann2
06-16-2012, 04:34 AM
The problem is that Ichiro isn't the Ichrio we're used to. He's getting on base at a .290 clip. That's obviously better than Cozart as leadoff (although I think he's improving), but it's not worlds better.

Are you willing to trade Heisey and a major league bullpen arm and a minor leaguer for an old guy that gets on base basically one more time every 33 at-bats than the guy you have leading off right now? I don't think that is at all worth it. I'd much rather see a move for someone like Dexter Fowler.

I'm a big Fowler fan too but he's part of the strong young nucleus the Rockies have with Tulo and Cargo and there is no way they're going to let him go. Even though I love Pete Rose, I would have loved to have seen Ichiro in this league since age 20.

Pony Boy
06-16-2012, 08:47 AM
That would be massively overpaying for a guy earning $17 million (they would have to eat all of his salary) with a lower OBP than Heisey and who's 38. Besides, as a probable future HOFer, I imagine he'd like to remain in Seattle to finish his career as a Mariner.

Heisey is valuable as a cost-controlled outfielder with good pinch hitting skills, and we need to save where we can after signing Votto and Phillips to such massive contracts.

Future HOF'er? I don't think so. His offensive numbers don't hold up. He was a great defensive player, but at a non-premium defensive position. Only went to the post-season once, and never played in a WS. He has only played 12 seasons in MLB. Hall of very good.

Ironman92
06-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Future HOF'er? I don't think so. His offensive numbers don't hold up. He was a great defensive player, but at a non-premium defensive position. Only went to the post-season once, and never played in a WS. He has only played 12 seasons in MLB. Hall of very good.

He will be in the HOF..... He wins gold glove after gold glove as one of, if not the best OF for over decade, tremendous baserunner and the most hits over virtually any timeframe from one month to 12 years.

He will be in the HOF.....EASILY

Never misses a game and will likely still get to 3,000 hits.

No one gives a crap about your OB%, OPS or whatever else when you get to 3,000 hits.

See Roberto Clemente.

RedsFanInBama
06-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Even if he doesn't get to 3,000 hits the guy is going to the Hall of Fame. Like Ironman says, that is a no-brainer.

RedsFanInBama
06-16-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm a big Fowler fan too but he's part of the strong young nucleus the Rockies have with Tulo and Cargo and there is no way they're going to let him go. Even though I love Pete Rose, I would have loved to have seen Ichiro in this league since age 20.

Probably so, but if you're going to give up as much as the OP is suggesting, I'd rather see it done to try and get a promising youngster than Ichiro, who clearly has almost nothing left in the tank.

EMAW
06-16-2012, 12:25 PM
The Mariners would get clobbered by the media in Seattle for trading Ichiro
More realistic move might be David DeJesus, actively being shopped by the Cubs

Tuff Nut
06-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Why is everyone wanting to trade Heisey? I'd much prefer his bat to the wasted pickup called Ryan Ludwick, and he is playing better than Stubbs.

RedsFanInBama
06-16-2012, 12:35 PM
One guy threw Heisey in as a trade suggestion. Does that qualify as everyone? FWIW, that wasted pickup has outperformed Heisey this season.

improbus
06-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I don't think the Reds need to (or are in any position to) make any trades. They were one of the worst offenses in baseball for the first month of the season. They are now solidly in the middle, and they are starting to heat up (as balls start flying more and more out of GABP). If our pitching stays top 10 (and top 5 like they are right now) the Reds will be just fine.

bleedsred
06-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Reds have the top offense in the NL for the month of June, at least thats what I think I saw on the game last night. Reds should sit tight and see how the team enters the break. A trade now would be a huge overpay since so many teams are still in the hunt. I think the next 3 weeks will see some teams fade out of contention and loosen up the market.

improbus
06-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Reds in May:
28 games 114 runs, .242 BA, .306 OBP, .421 SLG, .727 OPS
Reds in June:
13 games 77 runs, .292 BA, .361 OBP, .496 SLG, .856 OPS

Pretty solid.

OGB
06-16-2012, 01:16 PM

I couldn't agree less. For the better part of a decade, Ichiro was one of the 5 best all around OF in the game.
From 2001 to 2010, he averaged almost .330, stole 380 bases, struck out less than once every ten ABs, and won the gold glove EVERY SEASON.

Ironman92
06-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Forgetting his MVP

Again, when you have the record for most hits from a month to any point over 12 years.

IamRV
06-16-2012, 01:33 PM
The chink in any trade plan is that I don't believe that IDIOT would use the newly obtained player in the manner in which he should be utilized.

maestrohound
06-26-2012, 03:22 AM
Sweep this series and brewers will definitely be the sellers. How about trading for Zack Greinke??

Assembly Hall
06-26-2012, 05:11 AM
Sweep this series and brewers will definitely be the sellers. How about trading for Zack Greinke??

We dont need pitchers.

krm1580
06-26-2012, 10:09 AM
For me its pretty simple. The only way I want the Reds to make a deal is if it is a significant upgrade over what they have and it is more than a rental.

Promotions along with the Latos and Marshall deals have created a big gap in the next wave of major league ready players and I don't see the point in making that gap bigger by dealing for marginal upgrades.

At this point I can't see Seattle trading Ichiro or perhaps more accurate, Ichiro willing to leave Seattle.

Unless Dexter Fowler is allowed to take all his at bats in Coors field he provides very little over what we have. He is a career .688 OPS guy outside Coors and this year he is a complete product of the ball park with home and away OPS splits of 1.081/.661. Throw in the fact he young and under control and Colorado will be looking for way more than he is actually worth.

My guess is the Reds wil flip some system filler guys for a marginal bullpen arm. I can't see them doing much more.

Larkin88
06-26-2012, 10:12 AM
The chink in any trade plan is that I don't believe that IDIOT would use the newly obtained player in the manner in which he should be utilized.

I know you like being negative at Dusty and taking shots at the team when they aren't doing well. You aren't alone in that category.

But why do you type all of your responses in bold and in large size font? Don't want to nitpick, but it's a little obnoxious when I come across one of your posts on a thread and it reads like you ARE TYPING IN ALL CAPS TO BE LOUD. It's not a default setting, so I was just wondering why you choose to do that?

justincredible
06-26-2012, 10:27 AM

First ballot HOF.

EMAW
06-26-2012, 03:12 PM
I know you like being negative at Dusty and taking shots at the team when they aren't doing well. You aren't alone in that category.

But why do you type all of your responses in bold and in large size font? Don't want to nitpick, but it's a little obnoxious when I come across one of your posts on a thread and it reads like you ARE TYPING IN ALL CAPS TO BE LOUD. It's not a default setting, so I was just wondering why you choose to do that?

He likes all caps so instead of us wondering if he is a complete idiot, we are assured of it. The Baker bashing is beyond ridiculous.