PDA

View Full Version : Billy Hamilton...

joshua
06-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Stole 5 bases today. He's up to 80 on the season. EIGHTY. He's averaging 1.23 steals per game. If he keeps that up and plays through the season, he's on pace for 167 steals. It's pretty obvious that's unlikely to happen...but DAMN. That's mind boggling.

For a reference, the most stolen bases in a season in the majors is by Hugh Nicol. He stole 138 bases in 1887. The most ever in the minors is Vince Coleman playing for Macon in A ball with 145...barely beating out Donell Nixon of Bakersfield that same year, falling short with 143.

Before the game Hamilton's batting numbers were .320/.405/.440.

I hope he can keep progressing as he comes up through the system and I expect him to come up pretty fast. He should be in AA next year and in Louisville in 2014...but I expect him to come up to Louisville halfway through next season and be playing on the major league squad in 2014 and maybe coming up in September next year.

I know that stealing in the majors is nothing like it is at high A level, but he's so damn fast. I had high hopes for this kid and so far he's exceeded my expectations by orders of magnitude. Hopefully he can keep it up! I haven't been this excited about a Reds prospect since Bruce.

LaFlamaBlanca
06-17-2012, 03:33 AM
Glad you're excited, because other than Billy, who do we really have to salivate over in the system? Sad but true.

Seriously though, this guy looks like a game changer.

joshua
06-17-2012, 05:29 AM
Corcino and De La Rosa both combined to throw a no hitter tonight. Do you pay attention to our farm system? We have plenty of talent...none of it is up in Louisville though.

Assembly Hall
06-17-2012, 08:38 AM
I too, am looking forward to seeing Hamilton at the big league level. I think everyone on here agrees we need a lead-off guy, and Billy fits the bill.

herbdizzle
06-17-2012, 03:17 PM
I hope he switches to CF and can show adequate defense there because I would love him to be a long term answer batting leadoff and manning the middle.

Ironman92
06-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Would love to see him.

malcontent
06-17-2012, 04:26 PM
I hope he switches to CF and can show adequate defense there because I would love him to be a long term answer batting leadoff and manning the middle.
I agree. Let's hope the Reds move him to the spot that he will actually play in the majors sooner rather than later.

And not make the same mistake that they made with Frazier.

brm7675
06-17-2012, 05:41 PM
My question is why haven't they moved him yet?

drowg14
06-17-2012, 05:46 PM
My question is why haven't they moved him yet?

No reason to move him before you need to. SS have more value than CF. They probably know how long it takes a SS to transition, and they will wait, as they should.

joshua
06-17-2012, 09:48 PM
They haven't moved him because he's very young. He might be up to AA by the end of the year. I wouldn't want to rush his development. Cueto, Bruce, Phillips, Chapman, Cozart, Frazier and Votto are all locked up for a few years at least. They will all still be here by the time Hamilton is ready to contribute.

Ironman92
06-17-2012, 11:25 PM
They haven't moved him because he's very young. He might be up to AA by the end of the year. I wouldn't want to rush his development. Cueto, Bruce, Phillips, Chapman, Cozart, Frazier and Votto are all locked up for a few years at least. They will all still be here by the time Hamilton is ready to contribute.

Bruce was in the majors by Hamilton's current age.....and they can't move him to double A? What more does he need to prove in single A?

RedsFanInBama
06-17-2012, 11:35 PM
He'll be in AA within the next month.

arkimadee
06-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Hes like Ricky Henderson on RBI baseball for Nintendo

LaFlamaBlanca
06-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Corcino and De La Rosa both combined to throw a no hitter tonight. Do you pay attention to our farm system? We have plenty of talent...none of it is up in Louisville though.

Super condescending question aside, eh. Maybe I was spoiled becoming a true Reds fan in the age of having Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, Bruce.. Guys you couldn't WAIT to see in uniform. Perhaps I am being biased because those were the first Reds teams I really loved, but other than Hamilton, I don't really see a lot of guys in the system that make me go WOW. Corcino and Stephenson could be really nice arms some day, and it's probably combined with the fact Louisville is so uninspiring. But that's just me.

RedsFanInBama
06-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Super condescending question aside, eh. Maybe I was spoiled becoming a true Reds fan in the age of having Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, Bruce.. Guys you couldn't WAIT to see in uniform. Perhaps I am being biased because those were the first Reds teams I really loved, but other than Hamilton, I don't really see a lot of guys in the system that make me go WOW. Corcino and Stephenson could be really nice arms some day, and it's probably combined with the fact Louisville is so uninspiring. But that's just me.

That's what happens when you trade away your best prospects. Good news, though - prospects are just that. They're no guarantee. In another year or two, we'll have some more guys we're all excited about. Right now our good ones just aren't knocking on the door, which does make it harder to get excited.

OGB
06-18-2012, 03:13 AM

Keep in mind, the hype around the other guys you mentioned was generally bigger because they were looked upon as saviors of the organization. When your team is as lousy as the Reds were for that long, people try to focus on the few bright spots, in those cases, the top prospects in the minors.
this team has been mostly good since 2010 and therefore the focus lies on the current roster. If the Reds were ten games under, you would be hearing all kinds of hype about players like Corcino, Rodriguez, Gregorious, Vidal, and Cingrani.

justincredible
06-18-2012, 09:08 AM
I love checking the Hamilton steals updates daily. It's really amazing the numbers he is putting up, even in A ball. And more exciting to me is his .400+ OBP. He certainly APPEARS like he could be the perfect leadoff guy of the future.