PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Dempster

arkimadee
06-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Would you do it? Best starter on the trade market. I'm sure the cubs would want an arm and a leg. I would give them Heisey for him.

OGB
06-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Would you do it? Best starter on the trade market. I'm sure the cubs would want an arm and a leg. I would give them Heisey for him.

I would give them Navarro for him. I'm sure that would get it done.:rolleyes:

EditTheSadParts
06-17-2012, 11:29 PM
The horrors of 2002-'03 are still too recent in my mind. Albeit true he is a much different pitcher than we had a decade ago, I like to think that there are much better ways to upgrade our team out there.

Votto's got the Canadian on lock down.

arkimadee
06-17-2012, 11:36 PM
I don't even see him as the same person from the days of Dumpster. I look at him as an upgrade from Leake.

LaFlamaBlanca
06-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Do we really need a starter? There's a kid in our bullpen I think that might be worth a shot.

The DARK
06-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Looking at him as an MOR rental, I don't feel that he really fits our needs unless one of our starters goes down with injury... they've all been pretty solid as of late. Cueto is dominant, Latos and Leake are finding their feet, Bailey's showing real promise, and Arroyo is his old self. As of right now, we have more easily fixable needs on offense.

mrherd05
06-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Where would you put him?

Right now, all we need is a bat or two for the bench.

A power bat would be nice.

dubc47834
06-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Do we really need a starter? There's a kid in our bullpen I think that might be worth a shot.

1. I know you're not talking about Chapman????? Right

2. Starting pitching is not the problem, we need another bat to hit 4th!!!

brm7675
06-18-2012, 08:55 AM
To expensive...

jrandal9
06-18-2012, 09:21 AM
We need a high OBP bat to start everyday in LF even though we have been playing well lately. :deadhorse:

Larkin88
06-18-2012, 09:49 AM

Just curious, without having any context of what the Cubs actually want, why Heisey?

Further gutting our bench or left field options to bring in a starter that we don't really need seems like a risky gamble. Not sure that would really improve the team that much on the margins.

I'll give you that there is room for improvement on Leake's starts this year so far, but I'm still hoping he comes around on his own accord. Not sure I'd risk a contributor from a position that's in much worse shape than our pitching depth for that, though. Especially when I think it'd take more than Chris anyway.

arkimadee
06-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Just curious, without having any context of what the Cubs actually want, why Heisey?

Further gutting our bench or left field options to bring in a starter that we don't really need seems like a risky gamble. Not sure that would really improve the team that much on the margins.

I'll give you that there is room for improvement on Leake's starts this year so far, but I'm still hoping he comes around on his own accord. Not sure I'd risk a contributor from a position that's in much worse shape than our pitching depth for that, though. Especially when I think it'd take more than Chris anyway.

I just threw the Heisey name out there. I don't think the cubs would want him. I do feel that when Rolen and Stubbs comeback you will have a Ludwick/Heisey/Frazier bout for lf playing time so I randomly picked Heisey. He really contributes the least offensively among the three.

As far as Dempster goes, don't you feel he would be an upgrade at starter over Leake? I'm not totally sold on Leake this year. I think we are fine as him as our 5th starter but I want to see us win this division by 15 games. Dempster has looked great this year. That being said, I would not overspend or give them any good prospects for him.

Larkin88
06-18-2012, 12:00 PM
As far as Dempster goes, don't you feel he would be an upgrade at starter over Leake? I'm not totally sold on Leake this year. I think we are fine as him as our 5th starter but I want to see us win this division by 15 games. Dempster has looked great this year. That being said, I would not overspend or give them any good prospects for him.

Oh, I'm totally with you. I think he'd be an improvement over Leake, even though I do expect Leake to improve to an extent rest of the way. Guess it's just the cost benefit of what we would have to give up, and how much shoring up the #5 spot in our rotation would contribute beyond the status quo.

I'd do it if they could afford it, sure. As you said, though, he's one of the premiere SP available for trade, so I don't think we'll be able to get him for peanuts.

Would rather save the trade pieces for shoring up left field or the bench. Just my two cents though. :)

Girevik
06-18-2012, 12:20 PM
I'd much rather spend the resources on improving the bench rather than SP. I deffinately DON'T want to trade a bat off the major league roster for a pitcher.

herbdizzle
06-18-2012, 04:56 PM
The Reds have been fortunate so far to have their same 5 original starting pitchers from spring training staying healthy and pitching effectively enough to keep their rotation spots. A question I have is who would be the 1st guy to step into the rotation if someone gets hurt or Leake has another few crappy starts in a row? Tomko, Lecure, Chapman, Simon, trade?

drowg14
06-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Looking at him as an MOR rental, I don't feel that he really fits our needs unless one of our starters goes down with injury... they've all been pretty solid as of late. Cueto is dominant, Latos and Leake are finding their feet, Bailey's showing real promise, and Arroyo is his old self. As of right now, we have more easily fixable needs on offense.

I agree with this.