PDA

View Full Version : Time for Price to earn his paycheck

brm7675
06-20-2012, 11:12 AM
When the Reds brought Price on as the pitching coach many thought this was great as he had a pretty good history. Well right now it is time for Price to really earn that paycheck. He really needs to be pounding on Latos that on this level you can't throw, you have to pitch. As we have seen with the progression of Homer, the ability to pitch is the "key" to being successful. With Latos I sometimes think he can just throw it past hitters aka like that character in Bull Durham. Also when Latos has been successful he appears to do less thinking and just get the ball back from the catcher and go right after the hitter, yet when he mulls around, shakes off the pitches and slows down is when he seems to get into trouble. I think the talent is there with Latos to be a dominate pitcher on this level for a long time, but as we have seen with Homer, it sometimes takes a bit for it to click upstairs and that is where Price must concentrate with Latos

As for Chapman, I am concerned on two fronts. Right now I gotta think the back issue that was raised Sunday may be an issue, and anyone will tell back issues can have a major impact on delivery and such. Also, as like Latos, when Chapman was unhittable he wasn't wasting time between pitches, now is that happening now because of the back or what? In addition, one thing Chapman has seemed to always struggle with is pitching with runners on base. Earlier this season no one was getting on so no problem, but like with last night, Choo gets on and it really disrupts his whole process. This is a major issue especially if the Reds ever move him to a starter position.

Both of these pitchers are major KEYS to the Reds being successful not only this season but for the coming seasons, so it's now up to in my opinion for our Pitching Coach to really start earning his paycheck.

Stray
06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
He hasn't had Latos for very long, give it time. Honestly I think Brian Price has done a great job, how many of our pitchers have gotten worse under him? Not many. And who was the last pitcher we traded away that got better somewhere else?

I'm no pitching expert but with Chapman I would think it's something in his mechanics. Could be caused by an injury, who knows, but his control isn't close to where it was early in the year.

mrherd05
06-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Chapman has had what, three sub par outings all year.

Latos on the other hand is trying to learn how to pitch in our park (excluding the Cleveland game).

Clearly two games ago when Latos was on at home, he was focusing on pitching low in the zone.

This team has still won 6 out of their last 8, and you all want major overhauls.

The pitching is just fine.

Latos went from pitching in Yellowstone, to pitching at GABP.

Chapman is closing for the first time in his life. Did you really think he was going to give up 0 runs all year? The numbers will even out by the end of the year. Just like they are right now.

brm7675
06-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Chapman has had what, three sub par outings all year.

Latos on the other hand is trying to learn how to pitch in our park (excluding the Cleveland game).

Clearly two games ago when Latos was on at home, he was focusing on pitching low in the zone.

This team has still won 6 out of their last 8, and you all want major overhauls.

The pitching is just fine.

Latos went from pitching in Yellowstone, to pitching at GABP.

Chapman is closing for the first time in his life. Did you really think he was going to give up 0 runs all year? The numbers will even out by the end of the year. Just like they are right now.

I am not saying Price has to work miricles, but with Latos there does need to be some seen progression. Even during a game, if Latos seems a bit out of sort then Price needs to go out and talk to him and remind him. There also needs to be work on pitch choice and Latos's need to continually shake off the choice.

As for Chapman, his velocity is down and he has always struggled with runners on base. Again it is up to Price to see these things and work on corrections. Also pitch selection, Chapman for whatever reason is throwing way to many FB. To be a successful pitcher on this level you have to have other pitches, which he showed early on and has since abadoned. Why?

Girevik
06-20-2012, 11:48 AM
They were talking durring Latos' last start how he's making adjustments to get him throwing lower in the zone to account for GABP. It sounds to me like they ARE working on it.

Anyone who has ever done any kind of athletics knows that once you get used to doing something a certian way, it takes a deal of time to change it. And during the transition you are likely to perform worse then you did the old way. It's not until you get used to doing things the new way without thinking about it that you actually start to see the improvement.

malcontent
06-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Latos looks like he's throwing darts. Reminds me of Harang, maybe even more overhand (worse).

I prefer a 3/4 delivery.

Ironman92
06-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Latos looks like he's throwing darts. Reminds me of Harang, maybe even more overhand (worse).

I prefer a 3/4 delivery.

Me too.