PDA

View Full Version : T-minus 40 days...what does Walt do

brm7675
06-21-2012, 11:43 AM
We are now 40 days from the trading deadline. I think we all here have an idea of what tinkering needs to be done to the Reds, but the question now comes down to will Walt pull the trigger and make a move and if so are we talking adding a minor role player who will help out the bench? Or will Walt rattle the world, deal a top prospect/mlb talent to add major punch to the major league roster? Or will Walt hope, pray and go with what we have and see what help the farm system can provide.....

YOU make the call, what happens over these next 40 days...:thumbup:

redsfan1995
06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
I believe that the Reds won't make any big deals the only thing I could see happening is an upgrade to the bench.

EMAW
06-21-2012, 01:10 PM
It is evident the Central will likely go to the team that is the most aggressive at the trade deadline. No team is great among the top 4 and no team is horrible. The Reds were only 6 games out after sweeping the Giants on July 31 last year and made no moves, probably cost them a shot at the Wild Card. Do not see that same mistake happening twice.

Larkin88
06-21-2012, 01:39 PM
It is evident the Central will likely go to the team that is the most aggressive at the trade deadline. No team is great among the top 4 and no team is horrible. The Reds were only 6 games out after sweeping the Giants on July 31 last year and made no moves, probably cost them a shot at the Wild Card. Do not see that same mistake happening twice.

I think the moves the Reds need to make at the break this year are a little less daunting than the holes they had to fill last year... or were at least rumored to be addressing.

At the deadline last year I remember the Reds being tied to rumors for starting pitching, as well as being linked to both Bourn and Pence. They were allegedly looking at true impact players to fill some glaring needs.

With the trades and extensions this year, I think the Reds most glaring needs are ones that can be filled a little easier. I'm not trying to suggest they won't look for impact players who can improve the team, but just that we're probably not looking for All Star additions to save the season. A solid table setter or righty with some pop who could clean-up from time to time could go a long way... and I feel like those are moves the Reds should be able to put together packages for.

That said, a lot can happen in 40 days even. We certainly know a lot more about this club now, both good and bad, than we did three weeks ago.

Maker_84
06-21-2012, 01:45 PM
probably nothing

R_Webb18
06-21-2012, 01:58 PM
we will do something. how big we will have to wait to see.

krm1580
06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
If you look at the abyss that is the Louisville roster, it is pretty clear the Reds have no major league ready talent to flip for something significant. As such I would expect them to aquire a Left hitting, journeyman, middle infield infield type in the last year of their contract. Something akin to another Willie Harris.

Ironman92
06-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Try to do it early so you might not have to give up as much.

herbdizzle
06-21-2012, 02:18 PM
There are only 3 guys mentioned in our numerous threads that I would want the Reds to go after: Shane Victorino, Denard Span, & Seth Smith.

Prior to making any trades I would do the following roster moves to existing players:

1) As Bray & Massett come back to the roster I would option JJ Hoover and Sam Lecure to AAA to stretch them out as starters. This would solve the Reds starting pitching depth and allow both guys to build arm strength for the inevitable time in the 2nd half we may need a rotation fill in.

2) I would call up Dioner Navarro ASAP and DFA Rolen. I know this is a long shot but Rolen has not impressed me since he has come back and the demotion of Todd Frazier should be rectified immediately. Eat Rolen's salary and give him a nice tribute day to recognize his contribution to the organization. Bringing up Navarro adds a switch hitter to the bench and also frees up the ability to use Hanigan and Mesoraco in pinch hitting roles as needed.

3) Make a definitive choice on Chris Heisey. Either he is a starter, bench player, or trade bait. The Reds need to decide how they view him.

If Victorino is the target I offer the Phillies Heisey and their choice of any minor league pitcher not named Corcino, Cingrani, or Lotzkar. If a throw in is needed add a middle reliever (Ondrusek, Simon, etc.) I would go to war with an OF of Victorino, Stubbs, Bruce, with Ludwick as a backup.

I would offer a similar package for Span. For Smith I would offer a middle infielder prospect not named Hamilton & the same pitching prospect option.

Ironman92
06-21-2012, 02:25 PM
I like Smith and he like GABP

brm7675
06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Reading on line today it is the view of many GM's that with so many teams so close to playoff spots that it may very well be very close to the deadline date before deals are done. With the closeness of records, the added playoff spots this tradeing season could be very costly and intersting...

Girevik
06-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Try to do it early so you might not have to give up as much.

I really don't think that's how it works. I always understood that teams asked for the moon early, and then as they got closer to the deadline were willing to take less and less to get rid of the guy (or more realistically, contract) they wanted to dump. I don't think there's any incentive to ask less for a player now than you would latter.

Larkin88
06-21-2012, 02:40 PM
I really don't think that's how it works. I always understood that teams asked for the moon early, and then as they got closer to the deadline were willing to take less and less to get rid of the guy (or more realistically, contract) they wanted to dump. I don't think there's any incentive to ask less for a player now than you would latter.

I agree. In my experience watching the game, that's how it's always worked out. The reason being that the earlier you start reaching out for people, the more likely a team might be on the fence between buying and selling. If someone isn't committed to selling away a season, you need to offer up more value to convince them.

With how close all the divisions are this year, I wouldn't expect many trades to be struck until we're right up against the deadline.

redsfanmia
06-21-2012, 03:26 PM
I think Walt will either finish gutting the minor league system by over paying for a below average player or coax John Vander Wal out of retirement to the left handed guy off the bench.

Ironman92
06-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Go early, be creative and snatch someone that fits but may not be part of the discussion. There are teams that would like to release some good players and start again....find them! Find the guy that is a little bitter where he is and has that chip on the shoulder.

You wait until the end and you are trying to outbid others.

This is where the scouts have to be good!

BluegrassRedleg
06-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I have no confidence at all in Walt doing something significant to help this team get over the hump. The same thing will happen that always happens: St. Louis, who cares more about winning, will bring in the pieces to get the job done. We won't.

markymark69
06-21-2012, 05:00 PM
I believe that the Reds won't make any big deals the only thing I could see happening is an upgrade to the bench.

I agree. I'm not sure with the second wildcard allowing more teams to be alive for the playoffs if very much will be available.

If it is for a big salary player - a big salary player will go in return unless it is a rental and the other team pays most of the salary - or sends a huge wad of cash the Reds way. With the big contracts dolled out to Votto and Phillips there can't be much left in the coffers.

The Rage
06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
I have no confidence at all in Walt doing something significant to help this team get over the hump. The same thing will happen that always happens: St. Louis, who cares more about winning, will bring in the pieces to get the job done. We won't.

Sorry, but St.Louis hasn't done anything since Matt Holiday big. Most of their moves are veteren dumps in the summer. The Reds could easily do that. They didn't last year because the team was not a contender no matter what the chicken little's think.

brm7675
06-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Sorry, but St.Louis hasn't done anything since Matt Holiday big. Most of their moves are veteren dumps in the summer. The Reds could easily do that. They didn't last year because the team was not a contender no matter what the chicken little's think.

The Key to St. Louis is two things. Getting healthy and having Lohse and Lynn keep up their first half performance....If they win the division then every other team in the central should go hide in disgrace...

BluegrassRedleg
06-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Say what you will, but they go get what it takes. The Reds could have had Berkman or Furcal for nothing, too.

The Rage
06-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Say what you will, but they go get what it takes. The Reds could have had Berkman or Furcal for nothing, too.

Berkman was a retread signing that overproduced.......for awhile. Furcal was cheap stuff that worked for half a year. You can get that every year nor would have they meant much to the 2011 Reds.

bleedsred
06-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Well, I started a thread that not one person commented on. Jed Lowrie- HOU-plays 2b, ss, 3b and bats left. He is rumored to be on the block, is cheap, and take a look at his splits. Let him platoon at ss and 3b, move Frazier to LF and Heisey to CF and try to acquire Seth Smith to platoon in left with Frazier. Stubbs is the odd man out.

malcontent
06-21-2012, 09:30 PM
If you look at the abyss that is the Louisville roster, it is pretty clear the Reds have no major league ready talent to flip for something significant. As such I would expect them to aquire a Left hitting, journeyman, middle infield infield type in the last year of their contract. Something akin to another Willie Harris.
Dreamer.

;)

malcontent
06-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Well, I started a thread that not one person commented on. Jed Lowrie- HOU-plays 2b, ss, 3b and bats left. He is rumored to be on the block, is cheap, and take a look at his splits. Let him platoon at ss and 3b, move Frazier to LF and Heisey to CF and try to acquire Seth Smith to platoon in left with Frazier. Stubbs is the odd man out.
I like the Smith for LF idea.

But RHP is the bane of this offense and Lowrie is a SH with these career splits:

vs RHP as LHB .232 .310 .390 .700

vs LHP as RHB .306 .374 .504 .878

malcontent
06-21-2012, 09:53 PM
I agree, and if Berkman doesn't go down the Reds probably don't have the Cardinals in their rear-view at all.

I think the nursing staff likes to let old Walter sleep in most days.

BluegrassRedleg
06-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Berkman was a retread signing that overproduced.......for awhile. Furcal was cheap stuff that worked for half a year. You can get that every year nor would have they meant much to the 2011 Reds.

And they both have rings now.

If you can get it every year, why do the Reds have the lineup we're looking at now?

Like I said, no confidence at all in the FO to get the job done. I've gotten my hopes up too many times before, only to be squashed while the STL fans in our area celebrate once again and enjoy the postseason.

The Rage
06-22-2012, 09:31 PM
And they both have rings now.

If you can get it every year, why do the Reds have the lineup we're looking at now?

Like I said, no confidence at all in the FO to get the job done. I've gotten my hopes up too many times before, only to be squashed while the STL fans in our area celebrate once again and enjoy the postseason.

Who cares if they have rings or not. They were fluff attached to team. Any team can get that. This year has not been so kind.

BluegrassRedleg
06-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Who cares if they have rings or not. They were fluff attached to team. Any team can get that. This year has not been so kind.

The fact that they have rings is the whole point of this conversation.

miamiredskin
06-23-2012, 12:15 AM
I'm just hoping someone else takes some of OUR players...

Hondo
06-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Ex-squeeze me? Baking Powder? That's the whole point! If this team had signed Berkman for 8 Million 2 years ago instead of Edgar Renteria for $2.5 Millon and a few other spare parts players... They would've won the central last year.

Biggest need right now is a lead off hitter.

Today Reds won 6-0, but lead-off & #2 hitter went 1/9 making Joey Votto easily not pitched to... This team gets a serious lead-off man... Votto Drives in 150 RBI. PERIOD.

IamRV
06-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Inexpensive shot in the arm to the offense.

Bring up Gathright and put him at leadoff.

I would love to see Phillips then moved to the 2 hole and Frazier batting cleanup.

After Bruce bats fifth let IDIOT put anyone he dang well pleases in the rest of the lineup.

The DARK
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Thing about rentals going forward with the new collective bargaining agreement is that a team no longer has the option to offer arbitration and receive compensatory picks unless the player has been under contract with the same team for a full season. That lowers the value of rentals substantially, since previously a team could trade prospects for rentals and replace them via the draft. For a team as lacking in impact prospects as we are, the big-name rental path doesn't seem to suit us.

I see two good options for us at the deadline:

1. Trade a minor prospect or two for short-term high OBP outfielder. This could be a short term contract for this year only (think Ichiro) or extending into next year (think Dejesus). Either way, the cost shouldn't be too high, and we'll be able to get a set lineup going into the playoff run.

2. Solve LF and/or 3B permanently. This involves an upper-level player signed through at least 2014, like Seth Smith in Oakland or Cameron Maybin in San Diego. This trade starts with Heisey and an elite prospect arm, probably Corcino. Throw in one of our excess relievers, and we might have a deal. Frazier moves into the vacated spot.

Kcbuckeye22
06-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Walt needs to fix baker. That's what needs to happen. We keep talking about trading for this guy and giving up this prospect. We don't need to buy anyone. Baker needs to get off his high horse. We can make moves during the off season.
BP
Hanny,
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Frazier
Valdez
Cozart

Stubbs can go whiff somewhere else. Get some prospects or trade in offseason for a true cleanup. HI-C, Valdez, and Ludwick can cover. Frazier is heir to Rolen.

Hillsdale87
06-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Inexpensive shot in the arm to the offense.

Bring up Gathright and put him at leadoff.

I would love to see Phillips then moved to the 2 hole and Frazier batting cleanup.

After Bruce bats fifth let IDIOT put anyone he dang well pleases in the rest of the lineup.

Gathright should not get regular playing time over any of the current starters. There's a reason he was picked up from the Independent League. He has 1 career season with an OPS over .700, and his career OBP is essentially the same as Drew Stubbs' with much less power

Assembly Hall
06-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Thing about rentals going forward with the new collective bargaining agreement is that a team no longer has the option to offer arbitration and receive compensatory picks unless the player has been under contract with the same team for a full season. That lowers the value of rentals substantially, since previously a team could trade prospects for rentals and replace them via the draft. For a team as lacking in impact prospects as we are, the big-name rental path doesn't seem to suit us.

I see two good options for us at the deadline:

1. Trade a minor prospect or two for short-term high OBP outfielder. This could be a short term contract for this year only (think Ichiro) or extending into next year (think Dejesus). Either way, the cost shouldn't be too high, and we'll be able to get a set lineup going into the playoff run.

2. Solve LF and/or 3B permanently. This involves an upper-level player signed through at least 2014, like Seth Smith in Oakland or Cameron Maybin in San Diego. This trade starts with Heisey and an elite prospect arm, probably Corcino. Throw in one of our excess relievers, and we might have a deal. Frazier moves into the vacated spot.

I like your way of thinking DARK. I cant argue with anything you put up there other than I think there is a third option..........stand pat and see how the season unfolds. Before the start of this year the mentality was that the Reds were going for it in a short window. I dont think that is the case now. Our 2 stars are locked up, Rolen will be off the books shortly, we have another potential star in the making(Bruce), our pitching staff is better than most as far as "young guns", we have seemed to have found a SS, and Mr. Frazier has impressed. Do we have needs? Yes. The most pressing to me is a lead-off hitter. We got one by the name of Hamilton. Do we need a LF'er? Yes, I suppose so.....but we got 3 of them right now vying for playing time. I just dont know......I dont want to give up any of our prospects at all just for this season. I want this organization to be like it was in the 70's or what the Braves were in the 90's. The pieces are there, we just need to put the puzzle together.

rgslone
06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Well, as most on here have pointed out repeatedly, this team obviously needs a lead-off hitter and a 3B or LF to hit 4th. I don't think both of those spots can be filled this season. However, I think just one of either a good OBP lead-off hitter or a 4th hole hitter with a decent OBP and 20-25 HR power would be sufficient to solidify a playoff spot. In that case, I think the Reds could get by (remember I'm saying "get by") with Phillips hitting either 1st or 4th (although he's not ideal for either spot). In my opinion, the Reds should do whatever they reasonably can to get this done - including overpaying to a degree - because I don't see an answer for either the lead-off or 4th hole spot in the Reds organization for the foreseeable future (and yes, I'm excited about the potential of Hamilton, but he's at least a couple of years away). So, if the answer to one of these spots in the batting order has to come from the outside (as it appears to me it does) why not go ahead and try to do it before this trading deadline? Other posters have already named some guys who could fit the bill, and I would add Carlos Quentin to that list as well.

Hondo
06-27-2012, 03:46 AM
Well, as most on here have pointed out repeatedly, this team obviously needs a lead-off hitter and a 3B or LF to hit 4th. I don't think both of those spots can be filled this season. However, I think just one of either a good OBP lead-off hitter or a 4th hole hitter with a decent OBP and 20-25 HR power would be sufficient to solidify a playoff spot. In that case, I think the Reds could get by (remember I'm saying "get by") with Phillips hitting either 1st or 4th (although he's not ideal for either spot). In my opinion, the Reds should do whatever they reasonably can to get this done - including overpaying to a degree - because I don't see an answer for either the lead-off or 4th hole spot in the Reds organization for the foreseeable future (and yes, I'm excited about the potential of Hamilton, but he's at least a couple of years away). So, if the answer to one of these spots in the batting order has to come from the outside (as it appears to me it does) why not go ahead and try to do it before this trading deadline? Other posters have already named some guys who could fit the bill, and I would add Carlos Quentin to that list as well.

I would trade for Michael Bourn from the Braves because their pitching staff has been decimated by injuries...

HataRade
06-27-2012, 04:05 AM
We are now 40 days from the trading deadline. I think we all here have an idea of what tinkering needs to be done to the Reds, but the question now comes down to will Walt pull the trigger and make a move and if so are we talking adding a minor role player who will help out the bench? Or will Walt rattle the world, deal a top prospect/mlb talent to add major punch to the major league roster? Or will Walt hope, pray and go with what we have and see what help the farm system can provide.....

YOU make the call, what happens over these next 40 days...:thumbup:

Some days I want to aquire a starter, the next day I don't.

I think that starting pitching in general will come at a premium price during the deadline since many teams are still in the race due to the second wild card. Meaning teams like the Astros, Cubs, Twins, and other rebuilding teams can OVER charge for a starter in term of prospects due to the market being so slim.

Plus, at the end of the day I like our rotation. They aren't always perfect, but there better than most rotations in mlb that aren't named the Nationals (there rotation in like Phillies in 2010, full of aces)...

I really think we need to look for some quality bench players and some offense players.

I truly think we need a true lead off hitter. Cozart, Stubbs, Heisey, just aren't lead off meterial. We need someone like Ben Revere, or Span, someone who has that speed and that slap hitter approach to get on base on a consistant enough basis.

I also like Tony Campana. He might fill our leadoff need as well. He'll probably be cheap to aquire as well. He's a nice player. Fast, can play quite a few positions, and can be a difference maker on the base pads. He's a ryan freel esque player, I like him.

I also want a legit 4th hole hitter. Quentin, Lee, maybe LaHair. Of course, it'll cost the farm, and our farm is already in a half depleted state.