PDA

View Full Version : Sean Casey's 1999 season

BluegrassRedleg
06-23-2012, 04:53 PM
I had almost forgotten just how good it was until today's festivities and going back to look at his numbers on Baseball Reference.

103 R
42 2B
3 3B (How did Case get 3 triples???) :p
25 HR
99 RBI (That probably still bugs him to this day.)

Helluva year, and a crazy-fun season for the Reds. Loved that team. Those guys would battle.

Ironman92
06-23-2012, 05:04 PM
I had almost forgotten just how good it was until today's festivities and going back to look at his numbers on Baseball Reference.

103 R
42 2B
3 3B (How did Case get 3 triples???) :p
25 HR
99 RBI (That probably still bugs him to this day.)

Helluva year, and a crazy-fun season for the Reds. Loved that team. Those guys would battle.

80 extra base hits and no 100 RBI....hard to fathom for a non-leadoff hitter.

BluegrassRedleg
06-23-2012, 06:03 PM
80 extra base hits and no 100 RBI....hard to fathom for a non-leadoff hitter.

Yeah. That's a freakish deal. It's not like he didn't have good people in front of him, either. Reese and Larkin at .285 and .293 ahead of him.

Ironman92
06-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Yeah....just no idea how he didn't get 100 that year. His splits were around .300 and better for every split. Pokey didn't walk much and maybe Larkin knocked him in when he did.

His best year by a ton.....

adampad
06-23-2012, 06:28 PM
That 99' was so fun to watch. So much heart on that team. They ALWAYS scratched across runs, and came through when it mattered (except for that damn one game playoff which snapped their scoring streak).

Casey was a hitting machine. I remember loving me some Dmitri Young that year as well.

jhiller21
06-23-2012, 11:54 PM
That 99' was so fun to watch. So much heart on that team. They ALWAYS scratched across runs, and came through when it mattered (except for that damn one game playoff which snapped their scoring streak).

Casey was a hitting machine. I remember loving me some Dmitri Young that year as well.

I was at that game... Al Leiter right? I still remember the idiots charging the field in the 9th, even though we were going to lose.

will5979
06-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Bittersweet year for sure. That summer was one of the best of my life, baseball wise and life wise. I still remember that damned Brewers series that buried us at the end, I still hate the Brewers to this day. I have issues! :lol:

Ironman92
06-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I was at that game... Al Leiter right? I still remember the idiots charging the field in the 9th, even though we were going to lose.

Yes, Al Leiter, possibly the most stubborn pitcher of all-time. No one nibbled the corners like Leiter. He's one of those guy that would throw 100 pitches.....98 would be 1 inch on or off the corner and if you stood there he'd walk you as 70 of his 98 would be one inch off and he'd get the swings.

BluegrassRedleg
06-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Yes, Al Leiter, possibly the most stubborn pitcher of all-time. No one nibbled the corners like Leiter. He's one of those guy that would throw 100 pitches.....98 would be 1 inch on or off the corner and if you stood there he'd walk you as 70 of his 98 would be one inch off and he'd get the swings.

Him or Glavine for all-time nibbler. Tough call. What made Glavine so infuriating is he'd get the called strike 2 inches low and 2 inches outside constantly because he could hit it repeatedly.

Ironman92
06-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Him or Glavine for all-time nibbler. Tough call. What made Glavine so infuriating is he'd get the called strike 2 inches low and 2 inches outside constantly because he could hit it repeatedly.

Statistically, probably Glavine....but my eyes tell me Leiter.

Ironman92
06-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Glavine never lead league in walks and had .35 walks per career inning pitched.

Leiter once lead the league in walks and had a 2.90 Era! Leiter had .48 walks per inning over his career...but was not wild.

BluegrassRedleg
06-24-2012, 06:43 PM
I've never hated a pitcher as much as Glavine. That guy, to me, represents a decade of oppression for our Redlegs. Still haven't gotten over the 95 NLCS. :p

Wonderful Monds
06-24-2012, 07:26 PM
2004 Sean Casey was pretty good that year too. I was a young teen at the time, I remember he was batting around .370 going into July. I thought he had a chance to hit .400, I remember checking everyday to see how many hits he'd gotten. Pretty similar to his 1999 season. Just 1 hr less and still got stuck on 99 RBI

OGB
06-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Maybe it's selective memory, but I seem to remember him being a guy who hit a lot of solo HRs. That could explain the 80 extra base hits and 99 RBI.
I loved the outfield on that 99 team. Vaughn, Cameron, Tucker, Hammonds, Ochoa...a lot of great bats and good defense, too.

NeilHamburger
06-25-2012, 12:33 AM
99 was the most fun I ever had watching baseball. Much more fun then the 2010 team even though the 99 team didn't go as far. The chemistry and vibe of the 99 team was just so fun. I still believe if they had gotten into the playoffs, and could've thrown Harnisch, Neagle and Guzman they would've made it to the WS that year. Instead, they got stuck throwing steve parris against al leiter.

Also, never heard a stadium like Riverfront that night.

strasserki
06-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Casey was the man. The speech he gave the other night at the stadium killed me, and I could tell it effected the other fans. When he said "I never got a chance to thank my fans because I got traded", it was like the ultimate statement everyone had been waiting to hear. Casey will always be remembered as a great hitter but also the slowest in the MLB lol.

dougflynn23
06-25-2012, 10:54 AM
I've never hated a pitcher as much as Glavine. That guy, to me, represents a decade of oppression for our Redlegs. Still haven't gotten over the 95 NLCS. :p Reds managers in the Tom Glavine era insisted on loading the lineup with right-handed hitters despite the fact that Glavine thrived against right-handed batters with his change-up.

Sean Casey was an ideal #2 hitter. Larkin/Casey/Griffey/Kearns/Dunn was the plan, but Casey hitting 3rd miscast him, just as Mark Grace was miscast in Chicago.