PDA

View Full Version : Youkilis headed to White Sox

BluegrassRedleg
06-24-2012, 05:41 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/06/kevin-youkilis-boston-red-sox-trade/1#.T-eJUiuXRc8

Hondo
06-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Which makes me laugh. I didn't want Youk because he'd obviously Rolen with less D... But I have to laugh because of what the White Sox traded to get Youk... Most of you guys were debating which of our core players or top prospects it would take to get Youk...

Just like the Felix Hernandez trade idea... It wouldnt take Votto or Bruce, good god people! Washington didn't give up Bryce Harper to get Gonzalez. The Rangers didn't give up Andrus to get Cliff Lee, the Reds didn't give up Bruce to get Latos. The Diamondbacks didn't give up Upton to get Cahill...

I just' asking people to be realistic here and look at the trends of trade compensation. It makes the debate sooo much more enjoyable...

Oh, & the Brewers didn't give up Ryan Braun for Greinke!

DirtyBaker
06-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Youk vs Felix, Gonzalez, and Grinke isn't apples to apples. Youk was in Bobby V's doghouse, posting career lows, and had a rookie phenom replacement. Boston wasn't going to get much and only the most ignorant posters here couldn't see it coming.

But you are right about Youk being another Rolen. He could be an asset in 2013, but with Rolen and Frazier healthy(ish), I'm not sure how much of a role he would have with this 2012 team. I admit I'd like to see him in Cinci next year, but that ship might have already sailed.

Larkin88
06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Which makes me laugh. I didn't want Youk because he'd obviously Rolen with less D... But I have to laugh because of what the White Sox traded to get Youk... Most of you guys were debating which of our core players or top prospects it would take to get Youk...

Just like the Felix Hernandez trade idea... It wouldnt take Votto or Bruce, good god people! Washington didn't give up Bryce Harper to get Gonzalez. The Rangers didn't give up Andrus to get Cliff Lee, the Reds didn't give up Bruce to get Latos. The Diamondbacks didn't give up Upton to get Cahill...

I just' asking people to be realistic here and look at the trends of trade compensation. It makes the debate sooo much more enjoyable...

If you're asking people to be realistic, stop trying to draw parallels between what you think it would take to land an old Youkilis for half a season versus landing one of the premiere pitchers in baseball.

Nobody (worth listening to) was suggesting it would take Bruce or Votto or any high caliber starter to get Youkilis. And while you are right that it wouldn't likely take Votto to get Hernandez, you're glossing over the respective prospect hauls that were involved in the Greinke, Gonzalez and Cahill trades. They weren't given away for Zack Stewart like a half year of Youkilis was if that's the point you're trying to make.

If you think we can just package a few tier two guys for Seattle and expect Felix in return... boy you're going to be dissapointed. Also, I hope you're not one of the fans who has been upset about what was given up for Latos (even though we haven't seen the return yet) while defending the Gio Gonzalez trade because the Nationals didn't give Bryce Harper up. They might not have given Harper up, but gave up a whole lot of highly regarded, team controlled starting pitching options for the future.

BluegrassRedleg
06-25-2012, 05:54 PM

They certainly gave up peanuts for Youkilis. No doubt about.

King Felix seems a whole different animal, though.

What do you think it would legitimately take IF both organizations were interested in working on something?

Hondo
06-25-2012, 06:42 PM
If you're asking people to be realistic, stop trying to draw parallels between what you think it would take to land an old Youkilis for half a season versus landing one of the premiere pitchers in baseball.

Nobody (worth listening to) was suggesting it would take Bruce or Votto or any high caliber starter to get Youkilis. And while you are right that it wouldn't likely take Votto to get Hernandez, you're glossing over the respective prospect hauls that were involved in the Greinke, Gonzalez and Cahill trades. They weren't given away for Zack Stewart like a half year of Youkilis was if that's the point you're trying to make.

If you think we can just package a few tier two guys for Seattle and expect Felix in return... boy you're going to be dissapointed. Also, I hope you're not one of the fans who has been upset about what was given up for Latos (even though we haven't seen the return yet) while defending the Gio Gonzalez trade because the Nationals didn't give Bryce Harper up. They might not have given Harper up, but gave up a whole lot of highly regarded, team controlled starting pitching options for the future.

I wasn't directly comparing the hauls for Youk & the pitchers mentioned. I was pointing out that everyone on here, ORG included, thinks it takes your best player to acquire impact players on the block... It doesn't as history shows.

brm7675
06-25-2012, 06:56 PM
I wasn't directly comparing the hauls for Youk & the pitchers mentioned. I was pointing out that everyone on here, ORG included, thinks it takes your best player to acquire impact players on the block... It doesn't as history shows.

Not your best ML talent, but it is going to cost you alot of your top prospects. Look at what the M's and A's got for the pitching they traded away.