PDA

View Full Version : Stupid hypothetical question

redssince75
06-25-2012, 06:17 PM
I used to pitch in high school. I still can pitch strikes. My "stuff" would be a straight fastball between 60 and 70 mph, and a knuckleball that would float up there between 40 and 50 mph, and may or may not dance. (Probably not).

My question is how I would do if I pitched an inning to a MLB team. Not necessarily the Reds. I really think I wouldn't walk anybody because I would just be trying to throw it right down the middle.

My guess is probably about 10 runs would cross before I could get 3 outs, mostly from them hitting it right at somebody. (If I didn't get killed by a line drive first). Any other guesses?

MrRedLegger
06-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Are we talking how we'd perform or how we think you'd do?

I played in high school but am nothing great. Hit a few HR's which is a pretty good feeling though.

I could be a HOF 1st base coach if given a shot at the majors. If I pitched, the umpire would have to mercy rule my team before the 2nd inning.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not wanting to come off as abrasive or putting you down, but a straight fastball in the 60's is what Home Run Derby Contenders send over the wall 50 times in a night. Granted the HR Derby showcases the "best" HR hitters of that (half) season, any MLB lineup would be foaming at the mouth to tear those apart. Even if he's not a big slugger he could probably hit any gap. They'd score 30. Mix in the knuckle and they score 28.

And now I feel like the Academic Decathalon host at the end of Billy Madison. (Sorry!) Minus my wife, who is a dirty dirty tramp.

Ironman92
06-25-2012, 07:55 PM
They wouldn't score 10 IMO the first time through.....a few over-swings would be popped up or grounded out.

Would love to see it. Reds would only score 2 in the inning.

redssince75
06-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not wanting to come off as abrasive or putting you down, but a straight fastball in the 60's is what Home Run Derby Contenders send over the wall 50 times in a night.

Oh, I don't think I would get anybody out on my own merits. Just thinking a few might accidentally hit a ground ball or something.

redsfanmia
06-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Even Willie Harris would take you deep.

Ironman92
06-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Even Willie Harris would take you deep.

He said MLB team not minor league.

bigredmechanism
06-25-2012, 10:53 PM
I would strike out the side in a wiffle ball game.

MBZags
06-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Considering how Wilson Valdez fared against the Reds, anything is possible. You could strike out the side for all we know.

Wonderful Monds
06-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Are we talking how we'd perform or how we think you'd do?

I played in high school but am nothing great. Hit a few HR's which is a pretty good feeling though.

I could be a HOF 1st base coach if given a shot at the majors. If I pitched, the umpire would have to mercy rule my team before the 2nd inning.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not wanting to come off as abrasive or putting you down, but a straight fastball in the 60's is what Home Run Derby Contenders send over the wall 50 times in a night. Granted the HR Derby showcases the "best" HR hitters of that (half) season, any MLB lineup would be foaming at the mouth to tear those apart. Even if he's not a big slugger he could probably hit any gap. They'd score 30. Mix in the knuckle and they score 28.

And now I feel like the Academic Decathalon host at the end of Billy Madison. (Sorry!) Minus my wife, who is a dirty dirty tramp.
Remember also that even in the HR derby, those hitters still frequently pop out to the kids roaming the OF. Can't hit it out of the yard every pitch.

The_Mudshark
06-26-2012, 09:23 AM
If you pitched against the Reds you would strike out Stubbs. :D

big boy
06-26-2012, 12:21 PM
You would not want to throw the ball right over the middle every time (assuming you could). Mix the ball in and out. Hit the corners. Then try to get them to chase a ball outside or up in the zone.