PDA

View Full Version : Mat Latos

brm7675
06-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Well last night was nice, but I am afraid that the "anit Latos" crowd will now hold that against him the rest of the season with the "well he showed against the Brewers he has it, what happen tonight" type of thing. I think we all need to remember he is still a young kid maturing into what can be a very strong dominate pitcher.

His next two outings should be intersting. He gets to go Sat against the Giants whom he seems to do very well against in a pitchers park in SF. He follows that up with a return to SD to pitch against his former team in no question a pitchers park. I don't expect 9 inning 13 K performances and I hope we all allow this kid to continue to improve and mature.:thumbup:

MrRedLegger
06-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Well last night was nice, but I am afraid that the "anit Latos" crowd will now hold that against him the rest of the season with the "well he showed against the Brewers he has it, what happen tonight" type of thing. I think we all need to remember he is still a young kid maturing into what can be a very strong dominate pitcher.

His next two outings should be intersting. He gets to go Sat against the Giants whom he seems to do very well against in a pitchers park in SF. He follows that up with a return to SD to pitch against his former team in no question a pitchers park. I don't expect 9 inning 13 K performances and I hope we all allow this kid to continue to improve and mature.:thumbup:

Sounds like an 8 win pitcher by the break :beerme:

Todd Gack
06-26-2012, 12:15 PM

We were saying this about Bruce when he first came up and he's essentially the same 'month on, month off' type of hitter. Never get too excited about one good or one bad start.

Girevik
06-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Obviously it would be dreaming to expect that kind of outing ever time our for Latos, but what we saw last night is MUCH closer to what I expected out of him that what we've seen most of the games so far. Hopefully this is a sign that he's turning the corner. The fact that he did it at GABP is all the more impressive.

R_Webb18
06-26-2012, 04:06 PM
when you strike 13 out it does help.

Red in Atl
06-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Keep the ball down and good things happen.

krm1580
06-26-2012, 04:38 PM
when you strike 13 out it does help.

The 13Ks, for me were a very good sign. I've seen a couple of his starts this year and for me one of the most frustrating things was his inability to put guys away. It seemed like he would have guys down 0-2 or 1-2, they would foul a bunch of pitches off and he would end up walking guys after an 8 pitch AB. Its one of the big reasons he was at 100 pitches after 5 innings.

Hopefully its the start of big things for him.

MrRedLegger
06-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Anyone else think his release looks great? How he raises his knee and keeps his toes down so his shin and foot are aligned. Cocks his hand back and pulls the trigger. It looks rather graceful I say.

Kingspoint
06-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Pitch well the next two games, too, Latos.

Latos hasn't pitched well three games in a row once this season.

big boy
06-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Hardballtimes.com says that Latos might want to throw less two-seam fastballs (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/dealing-with-great-american-ballpark/).

MrRedLegger
06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Pitch well the next two games, too, Latos.

Latos hasn't pitched well three games in a row once this season.

Latos pitches against the Giants. Im willing to say he tears it up.

EDIT: And he plays his former team for the first time. I think the baseball God's heard your prayer before you even said it

New York Red
06-27-2012, 07:37 PM
He's only 24 years old. Anyone who is anti-Latos already is just a negative person. Period.

CrosleyField
06-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Where are the Latos haters now?

Ironman92
06-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Where are the Latos haters now?

In hiding, waiting for the first little negative.

bigredmechanism
06-30-2012, 09:36 PM
24 years old, goes deep into games, has great stuff, will probably win ~15 games this season, low 4.00 E.R.A. (with a career history that suggests it will be much lower), and under team control for 3 more years after this season?

Where do I sign up for that? Because that sounds awesome.

HataRade
06-30-2012, 10:38 PM
24 years old, goes deep into games, has great stuff, will probably win ~15 games this season, low 4.00 E.R.A. (with a career history that suggests it will be much lower), and under team control for 3 more years after this season?

On the Reds main board there was a poster who would call him Eric Milton the 2nd.

I just love it when haters eat crow.

smixsell
06-30-2012, 10:57 PM

Spot on mate.

bigredmechanism
06-30-2012, 11:13 PM
On the Reds main board there was a poster who would call him Eric Milton the 2nd.

That board is depressing.

RZ is better by several orders of magnitude.

Ironman92
06-30-2012, 11:31 PM

From age 24-28 Eric Milton was 56-32.....then the Reds got him. But if Latos does that for the Reds we'll be happy. (Milton missed almost an entire season in that data)