PDA

View Full Version : Yasmani Grandal

malcontent
06-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Grandal is putting up Votto-like numbers in Tucson.

.328 .436 .516 .952

And in 3 minor league seasons to-date:

.311 .412 .497 .909

Everybody still on board trading him instead of Mesoraco?

RedsFanInMD
06-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Emphasis on : minor leagues. I still think he will be good, though. of course, you have to give up something of value to get something of value. If Latos can build off what he did last night, it is all moot.

Larkin88
06-26-2012, 05:42 PM

Does it actually matter? No it doesn't?

Okay, moving on then.

Pony Boy
06-26-2012, 05:47 PM
A .952 OPS is not Votto-like. At least not in 2012.

malcontent
06-26-2012, 05:51 PM

Okay, moving on then.
Well, none of it matters if you want to look at it that way.

It does matter if you're at all interested in judging whether a particular move was good or bad.

Larkin88
06-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Well, none of it matters if you want to look at it that way.

It does matter if you're at all interested in judging whether a particular move was good or bad.

Sorry if I got a little snarky in that reply. I read your whole "Everybody still on board trading him instead of Mesoraco?" comment as insinuating that you somehow know better than anyone who is okay with that trade. Perhaps I'm just conditioned to those sort of quippy, assume-the-worst replies here on the Sundeck.

But you aren't going to find that answer in the July following the deal. Cherry picking minor league numbers from people we traded away isn't going to tell you that story.

I guess I just get a little tired of all the spilt milk crying that goes on here about trades when we're probably years away from understanding whether it was a "good" move or not. Again, not from you specifically, but from people who might actually get upset about a limited production sample in the minor leagues and hold that up as indisputable proof of something substantial. When it most certainly is not.

malcontent
06-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Sorry if I got a little snarky in that reply. I read your whole "Everybody still on board trading him instead of Mesoraco?" comment as insinuating that you somehow know better than anyone who is okay with that trade. Perhaps I'm just conditioned to those sort of quippy, assume-the-worst replies here on the Sundeck.

But you aren't going to find that answer in the July following the deal. Cherry picking minor league numbers from people we traded away isn't going to tell you that story.

I guess I just get a little tired of all the spilt milk crying that goes on here about trades when we're probably years away from understanding whether it was a "good" move or not. Again, not from you specifically, but from people who might actually get upset about a limited production sample in the minor leagues and hold that up as indisputable proof of something substantial. When it most certainly is not.
No problem, Larkin88. Maybe we're all just on edge these days for some reason. I know I am.

Anyways, I just hated to see Grandal go when the trade went down, and said so at the time. Would rather have seen Mesoraco traded, but I assume that I'm in a small minority there.

If we wait for a couple years to evaluate everything, who's going to resurrect the thread(s) that bear out my keen insight? And an old guy like myself might not be around to enjoy it anyhow.

RedsFanInBama
06-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Grandal is batting zero in the majors.

Larkin88
06-26-2012, 07:15 PM
No problem, Larkin88. Maybe we're all just on edge these days for some reason. I know I am.

Anyways, I just hated to see Grandal go when the trade went down, and said so at the time. Would rather have seen Mesoraco traded, but I assume that I'm in a small minority there.

If we wait for a couple years to evaluate everything, who's going to resurrect the thread(s) that bear out my keen insight? And an old guy like myself might not be around to enjoy it anyhow.

Fair enough. It's just tough to know what we really gave up in that package and probably even harder to know what we actually have in Mat Latos, so just seems tricky to start declaring it a win or a loss.

For the record, I was definitely not happy to see Yas go too. Along with super utility guys, I have a sort of inexplicable fascination with switch hitters in the game.

One thing that I try to keep in perspective is that Yasmani played collegiately at Miami where he even hit .400 in a season. Typically prospects out of college gain traction in the minors quicker than prospects out of high school (as Mesoraco was). So, in spite of their same age Grandal probably is further along than Mesoraco from a sheer player development standpoint than Mes was during his early minor league stint. It's also not surprising to see Grandal advance through the ranks at a quicker pace as he did.

All that said, Mesoraco's toolset projects to make his upside every bit the slash line you just shared. His arm strength is better than Grandal's ever was and with more seasoning in the majors, that will make him more valuable behind the dish.

In 2010, Mes had a 302/.377/.587 slash line with 26 HRs in about 400 at-bats. Blow Yasmani's current line out to 400 at-bats and it probably looks similar, with probably a little less power. When it's a six one way half dozen the other situation from a sheer numbers standpoint, you keep the guy with the better tools. I do sincerely believe that is Mesoraco edges Grandal in that sense, switch hitting ability aside. They're both very fine players, though, so I don't say any of that as a slight to Yasmani.

And don't worry. If the Reds end up having made an epic blunder in that trade, someone will always remind you of it here. Case in point: Josh Hamilton :lol:

FloridaBuckeye
06-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Grandal is batting zero in the majors.

Hahahaha no doubt

Krawhitham
06-26-2012, 07:55 PM

.328 .436 .516 .952

.311 .412 .497 .909

Mesoraco needs to play everyday to hit, two starts a weeks is not doing it for him

brm7675
06-26-2012, 08:52 PM

.328 .436 .516 .952

.311 .412 .497 .909

PCL is a hitters league and yes.

BluegrassRedleg
06-26-2012, 10:27 PM
I have faith that Mez was the right call, offensively and defensively. Still believe he's going to be really good. Takes time.

Hondo
06-27-2012, 01:06 AM
Mesoraco needs to play everyday to hit, two starts a weeks is not doing it for him

This.

jwmann2
06-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Reds are hot right now and in first place. I couldn't care less what another team's player is doing at the moment. Especially in the minor leagues. Anyone see the thread a month ago about Wily Mo Pena doing well in the minors? Who cares?

brm7675
06-27-2012, 11:58 AM

It's his first season, he is going to end up with probably 225+ AB's this season and play in close to 55-60 games which is a nice way to introduce hiim to the Majors his first season. Next year you flip him and Hanigan with Mesco catching 3 and Hannigan 2.

RedsFanInBama
06-27-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't mind Mesoraco's role this year, because he is at least getting to learn how to call a game and work with a major league staff, plus he's getting a good look at the National League hitters. I do agree that he would hit better if given more opportunities, but that's not going to happen this season barring an injury.

New York Red
06-27-2012, 07:54 PM
All I know is Mesoraco has an absolute gun for a right arm and his work behind the plate and with his pitchers improves daily. I'll worry about his hitting after he becomes an everyday player. It's way, way too early to worry about this kid.

Hondo
06-27-2012, 08:38 PM
It's his first season, he is going to end up with probably 225+ AB's this season and play in close to 55-60 games which is a nice way to introduce hiim to the Majors his first season. Next year you flip him and Hanigan with Mesco catching 3 and Hannigan 2.

Yeah, because that's how Ivan Rodriguez, Joe Mauer, & Buster Posey got to be successful...

This kind of thinking is "head-desk" for me!

In fact, since Mesaroco hit 26 homers in AAA last year, he might just need to be the every day catcher and bat clean up between Votto & Bruce!

The_Mudshark
06-28-2012, 08:07 AM
All I know is Mesoraco has an absolute gun for a right arm and his work behind the plate and with his pitchers improves daily. I'll worry about his hitting after he becomes an everyday player. It's way, way too early to worry about this kid.

Well said, especially the last sentance.

BurgervilleBuck
06-28-2012, 08:14 PM

Okay, moving on then.

I've been saying that ever since the Hamilton-Volquez trade. Nothing we can do about it. Move along.

DirtyBaker
06-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Did anyone NOT think Grandal was going to post good minor league numbers? I certainly don't want to trade Hanigan, and you have to choose between Mes and Grandal as the future. I'm fine with the FO's choice.

malcontent
06-30-2012, 07:45 PM
We'll get to see what Grandal can do now.

Good thing Latos seems to be kicking it in. Maybe Mesoraco can get off the interstate, too.

Nick Hundley, who signed a three-year, $9 million extension with the Padres in March, is headed to Triple-A Tucson. Top prospect catcher Yasmani Grandal is on his way up.

Grandal had a brief stint in the majors earlier this month, but he’ll get his first extended look at playing time now that Hundley will work through his struggles in the minors. Acquired from the Reds over the winter in the Mat Latos deal, the 23-year-old is hitting .335/.443/.521 with six homers, 35 RBI and a .963 OPS in 56 games at the Triple-A level this year.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/30/padres-demote-struggling-catcher-nick-hundley-calling-up-yasmani-grandal/

Ironman92
06-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Grandel with 2 HR tonight

Jdattilo
06-30-2012, 09:23 PM
One from each side of the plate.

joshua
06-30-2012, 10:09 PM
We have two lefties above High A. Let's trade away a MLB ready switch hitting catcher who's never hit below .280 at any level and keep the guy who's hits around .200 and looks like something Bela Lugosi would play in a movie because he had one fluke 18 HR AAA season.

HataRade
06-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Grandel with 2 HR tonight

In COORS FIELD

Even leake could get 2 home runs there if he really tried to.

malcontent
06-30-2012, 10:45 PM
In COORS FIELD

Even leake could get 2 home runs there if he really tried to.
Post-humidor Coors Field, HataRade. Or is it HaterRade?

:confused:

tedies
06-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Anyone remember the name of the guy that hit a grand slam in his first at bat last year? Its only one game, lets not make him an all-star just yet ;)

Also look what we got out of the deal today... 9 innings of 2 hit ball on the road

Ironman92
06-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Anyone remember the name of the guy that hit a grand slam in his first at bat last year? Its only one game, lets not make him an all-star just yet ;)

Also look what we got out of the deal today... 9 innings of 2 hit ball on the road

No I don't.

FloridaBuckeye
06-30-2012, 11:58 PM

Heres a list...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_players_with_a_home_ run_in_their_first_major_league_at_bat

joshua
07-01-2012, 12:53 AM

I'm not saying Latos wasn't worth it...I would have rathered gave up Mesoraco instead of Grandal. Mesoraco will be a good player, Grandal has the tools to be a great player.

HataRade
07-01-2012, 01:00 AM
I'm not saying Latos wasn't worth it...I would have rathered gave up Mesoraco instead of Grandal. Mesoraco will be a good player, Grandal has the tools to be a great player.

Eh we'll see.

I think the only thing going for Grandal is that he's a switch hitter.

Otherwise I think there pretty even.

Both will probably rake in the future, the difference being it takes some players a little longer than others to put it all together at a MLB level

joshua
07-01-2012, 01:55 AM
I hardly recognized you without your obnioxious as hell sig hahaha

R_Webb18
07-01-2012, 03:01 AM

yea b/c you no any of this

Red Raindog
07-01-2012, 06:57 AM
His two HR's were his first two hits -- one from each side of the plate -- 1st time in MLB history.

surely will be in HOF now.

;)

Maker_84
07-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Wish we would have traded away Mesoraco instead of Grandal