PDA

View Full Version : Two HR's on Wednesday =

mrherd05
06-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Bench on Thursday...

thats a head scratcher for most fans,...not for Redleg fans.

Who Dey Time
06-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Ludwick is 1-16 against Bumgarner. Sorry to bring facts to your mini rant.

mrherd05
06-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Thats fine. I get that occassionaly. But that is NOT the way things are usually ran from our dugout. There is no consistency in the main man when he says he plays to the stats. Why didnt Stubbs play against Grienke?

mrherd05
06-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Not to mention, that is 16 at bats spread out over how many years. Ludwick has been hot.

BluegrassRedleg
06-28-2012, 06:34 PM
I'd ride the hot hand, especially when you don't have really good options, but 1-for-16 is hard to argue with. Darned if you do...

brm7675
06-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Not to mention, that is 16 at bats spread out over how many years. Ludwick has been hot.

Well you can't sit Rolen...he had Wed off...:laugh:

arkimadee
06-28-2012, 08:42 PM
These lineup antics have the Reds in first place

bleedsred
06-28-2012, 09:58 PM
These lineup antics have the Reds in first place

I am with you to a point, but many here prob feel the Reds could have a lot bigger lead with better lineup construction and better management of the pitching staff. Course many fans of all teams feel that way...

What is Frazier/ Rolen stats going against Bumgarner tonight? Stubbs/ Heisey?

[deleted]
06-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Wow, 16 AB. What a sample size.

Ironman92
06-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Dusty started Bruce when he was 1/24 off of Mr. Astro because he didn't want Jay to feel as if he owned him....

Dusty picks when to use stuff against people....but basically Rolen is in for Ludwick tonight.

Krawhitham
06-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Ludwick is 1-16 against Bumgarner. Sorry to bring facts to your mini rant.

You still play the hot hand, It is not like he would do worse than Frazier

My main problem is you don't come out and tell the press 4 days ago that playing time for the 4 will be driven by performance and then bench a guy as hot as Ludwick

bleedsred
06-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Cause the Reds have knocked around Bumgarner tonight

smixsell
06-29-2012, 03:33 AM
Putting .190 hitter in the cleanup spot does wonders for your offense :)

Stray
06-29-2012, 08:53 AM
When they scratched Phillips I thought it was a perfect opportunity to put Frazier at 4, not because I thought he would do a great job, but just to give him a chance at that spot for the future. It didn't matter either way last night, Bumgarner had us covered with any lineup, but I just think it was an opportunity wasted.

P.E.R#14
06-29-2012, 09:39 AM
If Ludwick starts and goes 0-4, everyone on here complains that Baker should have never started him because he only bats 1-16 against Baumgardner. NEGATIVE, NEGATIVE, NEGATIVE.

You aren't coaches (I'm making a Very good hypothesis with that comment), nor am I.

Have the Ludwick fans now come out of the woodwork or is this just something new to complain about?

Positivity breeds. Try it out.

Go Reds!!

Who Dey Time
06-29-2012, 10:42 AM
If Ludwick starts and goes 0-4, everyone on here complains that Baker should have never started him because he only bats 1-16 against Baumgardner. NEGATIVE, NEGATIVE, NEGATIVE.

You aren't coaches (I'm making a Very good hypothesis with that comment), nor am I.

Have the Ludwick fans now come out of the woodwork or is this just something new to complain about?

Positivity breeds. Try it out.

Go Reds!!

Exactly. The idea that people here are clamoring for Ludwick is hilarious given that he has been one of the whipping boys on Sun Deck in 2012.

Sadly, a lot of people here only post when they want to gripe. What they don't realize is that when all they do is ***** no one takes them seriously at all.

Ironman92
06-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Dusty said he hit Rolen 4th instead of Frazier because Rolen knew how to handle Votto being pitched around. Lol

I know how to handle it....but couldn't do anything about it.

mrherd05
06-29-2012, 10:46 AM
I would just like Dusty to be consistnent. If you are going to throwout numbers as reasons why you play/bench someone, then stick to it. Dont just use it when you get burnt and throw out a crap ass lineup.

That lineup last night was just dumb. Period.

Who Dey Time
06-29-2012, 10:49 AM
I would just like Dusty to be consistnent. If you are going to throwout numbers as reasons why you play/bench someone, then stick to it. Dont just use it when you get burnt and throw out a crap ass lineup.

That lineup last night was just dumb. Period.

There is never one reason to play or bench someone so why limit yourself to that when making the lineup? For all those who criticize Dusty that he is too rigid in this thought processes (the "Dustyball" idiots), the fact is that he looks at a great number of things when putting pen to paper.

Last night's lineup was fine given the fact that Phillips was out. They were simply beat by a guy who was outstanding.

Ironman92
06-29-2012, 11:03 AM
I am not an idiot.

Who Dey Time
06-29-2012, 11:04 AM
I am not an idiot.

Never said you were.

mrherd05
06-29-2012, 11:14 AM
He had two infielders pushing 40, neither hitting over .200, one hitting under .130, the old third basemen hitting under .200 was moved to the cleanup spot, then to beat it all he started a third basemen in left.

Come on man...thats just crazy.

Ironman92
06-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Well I don't know where the Dustyball stuff originated....but I've been saying it for 3 years. To me he is the one behind our players having poor plate approaches.

As for actual managing....Baker is having maybe his best year during his Reds time....but when you have a playoff contending team with almost everyone under a .330 OB%....it's very strange and there is a reason behind it. Looking at some of these atrocious lineups of these other teams and look at the Reds....I'm happy we have guys that people at least know who they are....but I'd like it a lot better if they would work the pitcher in two of their first 3 at bats and pick the 1 time in the first 3 AB to jump on the pitch IF it is where they are wanting it (which is another problem....they hack away at the first pitch which is fine if it's where you want it....but they wail for HR instead of hitting it where it's pitched.

P.E.R#14
06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Well I don't know where the Dustyball stuff originated....but I've been saying it for 3 years. To me he is the one behind our players having poor plate approaches.

As for actual managing....Baker is having maybe his best year during his Reds time....but when you have a playoff contending team with almost everyone under a .330 OB%....it's very strange and there is a reason behind it. Looking at some of these atrocious lineups of these other teams and look at the Reds....I'm happy we have guys that people at least know who they are....but I'd like it a lot better if they would work the pitcher in two of their first 3 at bats and pick the 1 time in the first 3 AB to jump on the pitch IF it is where they are wanting it (which is another problem....they hack away at the first pitch which is fine if it's where you want it....but they wail for HR instead of hitting it where it's pitched.

I agree, but isn't this on Brook Jacoby?

Ironman92
06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree, but isn't this on Brook Jacoby?

I can't possibly know that answer....but Dusty is avid with his players to attack the first good pitch.....maybe Jacoby could do a better job of getting the hitters to recognize if it's actually their pitch and not the pitchers. Bumgarner said last night that he had been hit pretty hard by the Reds the past few times but knew this team was very anxious at the plate and he needed to make his best pitches early and once he got ahead he had them.

Jacoby is the hitting coach but I feel he and Dusty really emphasize the not working the count....or maybe it's Dusty's plan and Jacoby has to coach to it....no idea but it's most definitely being advised as the plan of attack.

Stray
06-29-2012, 01:16 PM
I think it's on Dusty and Jacoby. Dusty does preach to look for a certain first pitch and go after it, and I don't think that's a terrible philosophy. A lot of times that get me over strike will be the best pitch you see in an at bat, and with all of the young players/guys who can't hit with 2 strikes it makes sense to take that approach. Where they're screwing up is by swinging at bad first pitches...if it's a fastball out over the plate that's one thing, when they're lunging at off speed pitches out of the zone it's another.

Good philosophy and bad execution imo. Just the other night when Bronson had a no no going we got all of our runs on first pitch homeruns so it does work sometimes.

bleedsred
06-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Again I question, what are Stubbs/ Heisey/ Frazier numbers against Bumgarner. If they were similar to Ludwick's then I say start the hot bat. I also question why Cairo when you have Valdez sitting on the bench.

As far as the "coaching hypothesis", no I am not a MLB coach (esp. one that has a history like Baker). However I did stay at a Holiday Inn! Really though, since I have coached HS and MS sports programs for 15 years do I get to have an opinion?