PDA

View Full Version : Andy Griffith reported dead

Chip R
07-03-2012, 10:12 AM
http://www.witn.com/news/headlines/SHERIFF__EMS_Called_To_Andy_Griffiths_Home_1612011 75.html?ref=175

Sea Ray
07-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Bummer but thanks for breaking it to us all. He's been looking very old recently unlike Dick Van Dyke who is about the same age

RichRed
07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
He was extry good. Sad to see Andy go.

George Anderson
07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
I have probally watched "The Andy Griffith Show" more than any other show in my lifetime. There are few shows I can watch that are reruns that I still laugh out loud at but that is one of them.

RIP Andy, I have always thought Heaven will look alot like Mayberry so you will be right at home!!

RollyInRaleigh
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Sad to hear. Loved the Andy Griffith Show. A slice of America that I miss these days. RIP Andy.

redsmetz
07-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Before he worked in films and TV, like Don Knotts, he did stand up (not like we know it now). Here's his famous Football sketch.

Andy Griffith Football Story from 1953 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8)

westofyou
07-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I have probally watched "The Andy Griffith Show" more than any other show in my lifetime. There are few shows I can watch that are reruns that I still laugh out loud at but that is one of them.

RIP Andy, I have always thought Heaven will look alot like Mayberry so you will be right at home!!

This

redsmetz
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Of the older shows, The Andy Griffith Show and The Dick Van Dyke show both still work very well. Andy & Don Knotts were spectacular comics who played very well off one another.

redsmetz
07-03-2012, 11:20 AM
In his film debut, Griffith played a darker figure while playing the country guy. Lee Remick also debuted in this film, from all that I have read.

The trailer for A Face in the Crowd. As some note, it comes off as very familiar today: http://youtu.be/4740dqLktqE

Chip R
07-03-2012, 11:25 AM
In his film debut, Griffith played a darker figure while playing the country guy. Lee Remick also debuted in this film, from all that I have read.

http://youtu.be/4740dqLktqE

This is a fantastic film. I believe Griffith's character was based on Arthur Godfrey. Walter Matthau (with a Southern accent) and Tony Franciosa were also in the movie. The team from On The Waterfront, writer Bdd Schulberg and director Elia Kazan also wrote and directed this movie.

George Anderson
07-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Of the older shows, The Andy Griffith Show and The Dick Van Dyke show both still work very well. Andy & Don Knotts were spectacular comics who played very well off one another.

I can only watch the AG show in the black and white version. Once it went to color, Barney left and Warren was added and it became unwatchable.

My all time favorite was "The Fun Girls" episode. It had the scene with Gomer and Goober where Goober did his "Judy, Judy, Judy" bit. It was the only time both Gomer and Goober appeared at the same time on the show.

I almost know about as much useless trivia about the AG show as I do about the Reds.

JaxRed
07-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Goober died not too long ago also.

redsmetz
07-03-2012, 11:58 AM
When Ron Howard appeared on SNL in 1982, they did a return to Mayberry type sketch titled Opie's Back. Here's a transcript (warning, it's not G rated). Andy died and the town went to seed with Aunt Bea running things and Eddie Murphy playing Floyd the Barber (yes, he's black). As I recall, Murphy did a very good impersonation of Floyd's accent and his dialogue. Griffith a cameo appearing in thought balloons as Howard wonders what Pa would have done. http://snltranscripts.jt.org/82/82copie.phtml

This episode also featured Eddie Murphy's talk show host interviewing Howard and repeatedly calling him "Opie Cunningham," much to Howard's chagrin as he tries to talk about the film he'd just directed ("Night Shift" according to IMDB).

I can't find any video of this show. It was fun to see Griffith do this bit.

RichRed
07-03-2012, 12:40 PM
This episode also featured Eddie Murphy's talk show host interviewing Howard and repeatedly calling him "Opie Cunningham," much to Howard's chagrin as he tries to talk about the film he'd just directed ("Night Shift" according to IMDB).

To this day, whenever I see Ron Howard on TV, I still refer to him as "Opie Cunningham" because of that skit. I guess it made an impression.

redsmetz
07-03-2012, 12:43 PM
To this day, whenever I see Ron Howard on TV, I still refer to him as "Opie Cunningham" because of that skit. I guess it made an impression.

We do too!

redsmetz
07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Here's the opening to Danny Thomas' Make Room for Daddy episode that essentially was the pilot for the Andy Griffith Show.

The Andy Griffith Show Pilot Opening Scene - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFoeNU2rl0)

VR
07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Andy Griffith - Boil Them Cabbage Down - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu77tX7uDvc&feature=fvwrel)

In my 40's, and have seen every episode a multitude of times. Depsite being a comedy, he really portrayed a man of exceptional character, it was quite amazing.

He also was talented in other areas, as evidenced by his 'jam sessions' with the Darlings.

A pickin' and a grinnin'

GAC
07-03-2012, 04:12 PM
One of the greatest, if not the greatest, sitcoms ever! Not too many have endured, and are as enjoyable, as that show. Great cast of characters, well written scripts, and classic episodes we all remember fondly.... Ernest T Bass, the Darlings, Otis Taylor and goat full of dynamite, and Rafe Hollister. Loved them all!

I also loved Griffith and Knotts in No Time For Sergeants!

RIP Andy! You brought a lot of joy to the world!

Mutaman
07-03-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm not a big fan of Kazan the person for obvious reasons, but he could direct a movie. "A Face in the Crowd" was so far ahead of its time in its ability to predict right wing radio. Griffith was incredible.

cumberlandreds
07-03-2012, 09:01 PM

Same from me. That show is my all time favorite. I'll never grow tired of watching those, especially the years Barney was a regular. He will be missed as one of the true icons of TV history. RIP Andy, Thanks for all the great entertainment.

kaldaniels
07-03-2012, 10:37 PM
For $20,000, he'll twice lean forward and whisper something in your ear.

RIP

RBA
07-03-2012, 10:41 PM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-st-0704-ron-howard-20120704,0,4710496.story

EXCLUSIVE
Ron Howard: What I learned from Andy Griffith
Ron Howard shares memories of Andy Griffith and professional and life lessons learned from him.

Raisor
07-04-2012, 07:28 PM
For $20,000, he'll twice lean forward and whisper something in your ear.

RIP

No one was making fun of Andy Griffith. I can't stress that enough

Raisor
07-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Andy Griffith is one of my heroes.

kaldaniels
07-04-2012, 07:45 PM
No one was making fun of Andy Griffith. I can't stress that enough

:beerme:

BUTLER REDSFAN
07-04-2012, 08:41 PM
sam drucker died about 2 weeks ago--think his name was frank cady..then the oldest son on my 3 sons died last week of cancer--cant recall the name the one with the dimple and now andy griffith...and like someone said earlier goober died a few weeks back

RBA
07-04-2012, 09:33 PM
sam drucker died about 2 weeks ago--think his name was frank cady..then the oldest son on my 3 sons died last week of cancer--cant recall the name the one with the dimple and now andy griffith...and like someone said earlier goober died a few weeks back

And Richard Dawson from Hogan Heroes. Better known for Family Fued.

Sweetstop
07-05-2012, 08:33 AM

that was don grady (an original mousketeer..as was johnny crawford from the rifleman)..first years of the show grady was the 2nd son, tim considine being the oldest..

yesterday i saw the danny thomas show episode introducing the andy griffith show and tues. a.m., sitting in the surgery waiting room of the local hosp., i saw the fun girls episode. everyone in the room was laughing-out-loud.

r.i.p. andy.

Rojo
07-05-2012, 02:43 PM
For some reason I was always remember the episode where Aunt Bee earned her pilot's license.

Yeah, the Andy Griffith Show was lily-white, but it was brimming with decency and humanity.

Tony Cloninger
07-05-2012, 04:32 PM
For some reason I was always remember the episode where Aunt Bee earned her pilot's license.

Yeah, the Andy Griffith Show was lily-white, but it was brimming with decency and humanity.

I think most shows were back then...... if you had an alien come and watch early 60's sitcom....you would swear the US had nothing but nice, wholesome White people and nothing else.

marcshoe
07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
The thing about the Andy Griffith show was that it was a wholesome show that people reference in nostalgic ways, and it was actually well done. Too many projects are put out there for people to watch because they're "family friendly" that are nothing but dreck, but folks are supposed to ignore the low quality because they're "clean".

That wasn't The Andy Griffith Show. I can still watch the episodes with Barney (yeah, the quality deteriorated a bit after he left) and really enjoy them.