PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ernest Borgnine

RBA
07-08-2012, 06:30 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_BORGNINE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-07-08-17-13-46

95 years old.

redsfanmia
07-08-2012, 07:57 PM
I really liked him in Emperor of the North and of course Marty, rest in peace.

Ohayou
07-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Some illogical part of me thought he'd really live forever. I've loved Borgnine from his voice over work on Spongebob Squarepants in my childhood to The Wild Bunch and Marty at a more mature age. RIP indeed.

Raisor
07-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Dude was in the first ever PG rated Disney movie.

marcshoe
07-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Some illogical part of me thought he'd really live forever. I've loved Borgnine from his voice over work on Spongebob Squarepants in my childhood to The Wild Bunch and Marty at a more mature age. RIP indeed.

Do you age backward like Brad Pitt did in that movie? ???

GAC
07-09-2012, 04:43 AM
I've watched some interviews with Ernest over the last couple of years, and he was one class act and gentleman.

Loved McHale's Navy; but remember him well in From Here To Eternity and especially Marty. Great performances.

RIP Ernest

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW6oCarlgXK3yR_rjse7Be1mddMgnsF eLyCeboJrJe4cRBIUvWCswhbxem5g

redsmetz
07-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Nick Clooney devotes a chapter to the movie "Marty" in his book "The Movies That Changed Us." In this case, he talks about it being the first independent film to win huge accolades and awards. Produced by Burt Lancaster and his agent's company, it was originally intended to lose money to offset the taxes they'd owe on their other successful films. They set a dollar amount they needed to lose and even had an accountant on set. Two thirds of the way thru and the accountant announces "that's a wrap" and everyone goes home (much to their chagrin, they felt they were working on a real good film). Some weeks later the attorney for the company contacts the accountant to see how it's going, he tells him they spent the amount they needed to and shut things down. The lawyer tells him to get everyone back because actually had to release the movie in order to the lose the money. Of course, they finished it, released out to art theater houses and it took off. Apparently they spent lavishly on publicity to arrive at the offsets they needed, otherwise the film was a commercial success.

Clooney's book is a fascinating one highlighting twenty films that either changed our culture or the business itself. Interesting read if anyone's interested, check it out.

Spitball
07-09-2012, 11:16 PM
McHale's Navy was one of my favorite television shows when I was a kid. It was a classic. Commander McHale, Ensign Parker, and Captain Binghamton were great characterizations.

westofyou
07-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Marty, Fatso, McHail .... A great actor in a business that values looks over all else, this MUG was a star!!'

I love that!

He was an actor, not a prop... We need more actors, less props.

Sweetstop
07-10-2012, 05:28 PM
another of my lifetime's familiar great faces gone...

r.i.p. mr. b.