PDA

View Full Version : Directv vs Viacom Battle

GAC
07-13-2012, 04:37 AM
I'm not the biggest TV hound, so I didn't really notice it.... but my wife sure did since they removed a couple of her favorite channels! LOL

http://www.businessinsider.com/directv-customers-lose-viacom-channels-2012-7

The channels are not only gone off Directv, but to further pee people off Viacom also yanked the access to free on-line programming..... http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/12/showbiz/tv/viacom-directv-dispute/

I kinda put the majority of the blame on Viacom on this one IF, what Directv claims, Viacom wants an increase in fees that is pretty excessive (30% = $1B).... http://www.directvpromise.com/#6

We'll see.

As usual, both sides are running their PR machines blaming the other side. I'm sure the dispute will get settled at one point; but until then, Directv customers are the ones getting screwed as they lost 17 Viacom channels.

KronoRed
07-13-2012, 06:22 AM
I love the non stop message from the DirecTV CEO that is airing in place of these channels, in effect calling most of the channels crap.

Comedy central being gone is a bummer, but the rest of the channels are easily ignored.

Chip R
07-13-2012, 08:50 AM
I love the non stop message from the DirecTV CEO that is airing in place of these channels, in effect calling most of the channels crap.

Comedy central being gone is a bummer, but the rest of the channels are easily ignored.

I would miss TVLand and maybe Comedy Central but I don't really care about the others.

BuckeyeRed27
07-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Viacom has really seen a ratings drop on MTV and Nick since the last time they negotiated that contract. I can see why DirectTV isn't going to let them jack up the prices.

I occasionally watch the Daily Show, but that is about the biggest impact I have felt from this.

cumberlandreds
07-13-2012, 11:22 AM
You may to try to get someting free from them. They don't want to lose any subscribers over this and seem to be willing to give away about any programming or equipment to keep you.
Losing these channels doesn't bother me. I only watch TVLand and VH-1 Classic a little and I won't lose any sleep over not having those. I hope DTV sticks to their guns and doesn't give them the increase they want. It's not worth that much to have them on the air.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/12/tech/web/directv-complaints/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

mdccclxix
07-13-2012, 11:33 AM
I would cancel about 1495 of 1500 channels on TV today. I pay to watch FSN Ohio, basically. Otherwise, my wife likes DWTS and Modern Family. That's it. Zilch else. It's amazing how big the infomercial has become. It rules the airwaves these days.

GAC
07-14-2012, 04:07 AM
Losing these channels doesn't bother me. I only watch TVLand and VH-1 Classic a little and I won't lose any sleep over not having those. I hope DTV sticks to their guns and doesn't give them the increase they want. It's not worth that much to have them on the air.

I pretty much share the same sentiment. Love TVLand and watching classic rock on VH-1. Other then that? :barf:

jmac
07-14-2012, 08:58 AM
I basically watch none of the channels but my 10 year old likes some of the young kids shows on Nick.
I noticed they are showing the Encore channels free during this dispute. Many of the movies on these channels,however are from the 70' and 80's. :rolleyes:

Sea Ray
07-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Viacom said. "We proposed a fair deal that amounted to an increase of only a couple pennies per day, per subscriber

Hey buddy, why do you deserve any increase? These guys think it's their birthright to receive increases with every new contract. No, your ratings have to earn it. Kudos to D-TV

On Time Warner we're dealing with the same thing in regards to WLWT ch 5. On Monday they quit carrying ch 5 and are carrying the NBC Dayton affiliate instead. Advantage TWC. We still get the national shows like Today in the morning and the prime time shows in the evening and I imagine we'll get the Oympics. Meanwhile WLWT news loses viewers. I don't see much incentive for TWC to negotiate.

Sea Ray
07-14-2012, 09:13 AM
I basically watch none of the channels but my 10 year old likes some of the young kids shows on Nick.
I noticed they are showing the Encore channels free during this dispute. Many of the movies on these channels,however are from the 70' and 80's. :rolleyes:

I don't have D-TV but my kid would miss Boomerang more than any other channel

KittyDuran
07-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I rarely watch TV and I'm debating whether to buy a HDTV but only to watch my vast collection of DVDs. I'll echo that I'd only pay for watching the Reds (whatever channel).

dougdirt
07-14-2012, 10:02 AM
I rarely watch TV and I'm debating whether to buy a HDTV but only to watch my vast collection of DVDs. I'll echo that I'd only pay for watching the Reds (whatever channel).

Unless you get a DVD player with upconversion, your HDTV would kind of be wasted on watching DVD's aside from the fact that you would be able to see them in widescreen without the black bars being overly intrusive.

Sea Ray
07-14-2012, 10:58 AM

I'd pay for NFL Network but TWC won't let me:confused:

There are a lot of channels that are important to my family. I do sports, news, and History, Science stuff. My kid does cartoons and any channel that has AFV on it. My wife loves the cooking channels and Bravo. I guess that explains why my cable bill is $150

Chip R
07-14-2012, 01:20 PM
I would cancel about 1495 of 1500 channels on TV today. I pay to watch FSN Ohio, basically. Otherwise, my wife likes DWTS and Modern Family. That's it. Zilch else. It's amazing how big the infomercial has become. It rules the airwaves these days.

Do you even have cable or satellite? Seems you could just get by with an antenna and MLB TV.

RBA
07-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Do you even have cable or satellite? Seems you could just get by with an antenna and MLB TV.

If he live in Reds Country, he wouldn't get Reds games on MLB.tv Unless he was able to fake/spoof the location where he is at.

RBA
07-14-2012, 01:25 PM
TCM HD coming soon to Directv. Disney Jr. debuted today on Directv.

I might threaten to cancel to see if I can get the Sunday Ticket for free.

Scrap Irony
07-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I watch Comedy Central quite a bit-- The Daily News and The Colbert Show are phenomenal. My oldest child adores three or four shows on the Nick channels. My wife watches Nick and Nite after the kids have gone to bed.

Ouch.

KronoRed
07-14-2012, 06:25 PM
TCM in HD?

Awesome :thumbup:

GAC
07-15-2012, 03:57 AM

I'm going to call Directv because while they're making it free during this dispute I pay something like $5/month for that Encore package. It has like 8 channels. The only reason I get it is for the Encore Western channel. I love watching the old TV westerns.

GAC
07-15-2012, 04:03 AM
TCM HD coming soon to Directv. Disney Jr. debuted today on Directv.

I might threaten to cancel to see if I can get the Sunday Ticket for free.

Work'em baby!

I "juked" them last year. My local channels are out of Dayton, yet I live closer to Columbus. Unfortunately, the Dayton channel, during football season, rarely if ever, broadcasts games of my fav team. I told them I was entertaining an offer from TW that gave me my locals from Columbus, and I wasn't going to go another season not being able to watch them. Directv fixed me right up. Going to do it again this year too. :thumbup:

Roy Tucker
07-15-2012, 11:19 AM
I think all this chopping and slicing and dicing of TV shows is going to remove any kind of loyalty or favoritism that people might have for providers like Viacom, DirecTV, Time Warner, etc.

All this threatening and cutting off of channels and holding customers hostage is a completely bass-ackwards way of doing business and they are cutting their own throat.

The future is internet-based channels ala Netflix and the sooner companies realize that, the better off they'll be. Just ask one-time huge names in the video market like Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, and all those companies about becoming a dinosaur.

LoganBuck
07-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Got $10 off my bill and Starz free for six months just for calling. Heard about this deal on Twitter @Directv

Redsfaithful
07-16-2012, 11:28 AM
I might have to call if it's $10 off a month. I don't care about movie channels, it's almost a burden having to remember to call and cancel them in 6 months.

PedroBourbon
07-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Got $10 off my bill and Starz free for six months just for calling. Heard about this deal on Twitter @Directv

We called today and got Stars/showtime free for 6 months, $10 credit for 6 months, and $8 off our DVR for 6 months. So call now before a deal is reached!

cumberlandreds
07-20-2012, 09:16 AM
In case you didn't know Viacom and DTV came to an agreement. From everything I read Viacom gave up most of their demands. Not a significant increase and DTV will not have to carry the Epix channel.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/directv-and-viacom-reach-agreement-for-return-of-viacoms-17-channels-including-extensive-new-digital-rights-for-directv-customers-2012-07-20

Yachtzee
07-20-2012, 10:04 AM
These days, with all the shows you can watch streaming over Hulu Plus and Netflix, I'm surprised Viacom would try to pull a stunt like that. If I could, I would just pay for the live sports channels and kids channels and just stick with a Hulu Plus and Netflix subscription, which I can watch streaming over the tv through my Xbox.