PDA

View Full Version : Dusty on front page of ESPN

webbbj
07-13-2012, 01:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8161055/cincinnati-reds-dusty-baker-complex-individuall

Stray
07-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Good read

MrRedLegger
07-13-2012, 01:46 PM
I feel warm inside after that

PumpFak3First
07-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Good read. I liked the side piece by Doug Glanville.

Ironman92
07-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Good read. I liked the side piece by Doug Glanville.

We're not signing Glanville are we?

He used to be really fast.

EMAW
07-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Reading that should ease the fears that Dusty will return, sounds like the next Reds Manager will be working on the cheap

Ironman92
07-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Reading that should ease the fears that Dusty will return, sounds like the next Reds Manager will be working on the cheap

Speaking of cheap.....Ron Oester was going to be the manager following McKeon and was going to make $350,000, Oester asked Bowden if they could consider the pay of $500,000 as that is what the similar financed Pirates just hired Lloyd McClendon at.....Bowden said he would check on that. Bowden never communicated anything back to Oester, instead he found a needy Bob Boone to do it for that $350,000.....the rest is history.

It was Oester's job.....who is to believe that he wouldn't take a major raise and promotion and do it for 350 if Bowden communicates that back.

EMAW
07-14-2012, 12:22 AM
That sounds like the Reds of that time. Going cheap almost always ends up biting you. I am of the belief that a manager wins games by setting a positive mood in the clubhouse, fielding a good coaching staff and having the players backs. I believe Dusty will either manage on the west coast (San Diego or Seattle) or retire to be with his family.

Ironman92
07-14-2012, 12:26 AM
That sounds like the Reds of that time. Going cheap almost always ends up biting you. I am of the belief that a manager wins games by setting a positive mood in the clubhouse, fielding a good coaching staff and having the players backs. I believe Dusty will either manage on the west coast (San Diego or Seattle) or retire to be with his family.

I really think no matter what he will walk away. Only 1 season off since he graduated high school in 1967.

EMAW
07-14-2012, 12:32 AM
I really think no matter what he will walk away. Only 1 season off since he graduated high school in 1967.

A lot of people in baseball are "all baseball, all the time", that is not Dusty.
It seems like he knows that this is his final season in Cincy and he is trying to make it great. I would imagine the front office has informed him they are not going to allocate the dollars to the managers chair anymore, just a hunch.

DocRed
07-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Good to see him get some well deserved criticism on a national level.

IamRV
07-15-2012, 01:59 PM
From the article:

Baker once famously observed that "on-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage. On-base percentage just to clog up the bases isn't that great to me." Regardless of the message Baker meant to convey, the comment is sure to stick to him for the rest of his baseball life.

Couldn't agree more. You can add slugging percentage, OPS and scoring position stats in there as well.

Kingspoint
07-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Rick Sweet didn't step down to take a made-up position because he didn't want to manage any more.

Rick Sweet in 2013!

IamRV
07-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Rick Sweet didn't step down to take a made-up position because he didn't want to manage any more.

Rick Sweet in 2013!

I certainly hope so.

My questions would be, why the move for this year? Why replace him with Bell?

Kingspoint
07-15-2012, 02:52 PM
I certainly hope so.

My questions would be, why the move for this year? Why replace him with Bell?There's a few threads on this subject in The Old Red Guard. Try the redszone search, and you'll find some interesting comments about it, with articles from around the nation that give input onto it, also.

Here's a start:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95688&highlight=rick+sweet+bell

Kcbuckeye22
07-15-2012, 02:57 PM
No kidding. Rick Sweet for President! You don't get fired for posting his numbers, and I don't think there was some funny business.