PDA

View Full Version : NOW it's getting interesting

Magdal
07-22-2012, 08:09 AM
While the Reds and Pirates have been hanging tough, playing tag with the lead, the Cardinals have been sputtering, the hitting with RISP horrible But that 7th inning 12 run explosion may very well ignite the team.

I never saw anything like it. 7 dbls to the opposite field. They may have scored 12 more if Matheney had not inexplicably yanked Molina in his 2nd AB in the inning. They were 1 hitter shy of batting around TWICE. And don't fault the hapless Cubs...if it was so easy everybody would dropping 12 on 'em.

If you will remember, about a month ago, when the Reds were about 3 back I predicted that they would be in 1st place in one week. I was off. It took two days longer. Now I'm predicting that the 3 teams will in 10 days be neck and neck. It will be the most compelling division race in baseball.

I live for this stuff.:thumbup: On Luddy: not to pat myself on the back (wink wink) but do you all get what I was preaching about the guy back in April?

sdwagers
07-22-2012, 08:52 AM
It's a three team race for now. I don't count out the Brewers - but they are starting to fade.

Magdal
07-22-2012, 10:24 AM
It's a three team race for now. I don't count out the Brewers - but they are starting to fade.I thought about that, but I figure by the time Braun gets back they will be too far back to recover.

smixsell
07-22-2012, 12:58 PM
While the Reds and Pirates have been hanging tough, playing tag with the lead, the Cardinals have been sputtering, the hitting with RISP horrible But that 7th inning 12 run explosion may very well ignite the team.

I never saw anything like it. 7 dbls to the opposite field. They may have scored 12 more if Matheney had not inexplicably yanked Molina in his 2nd AB in the inning. They were 1 hitter shy of batting around TWICE. And don't fault the hapless Cubs...if it was so easy everybody would dropping 12 on 'em.

If you will remember, about a month ago, when the Reds were about 3 back I predicted that they would be in 1st place in one week. I was off. It took two days longer. Now I'm predicting that the 3 teams will in 10 days be neck and neck. It will be the most compelling division race in baseball.

I live for this stuff.:thumbup: On Luddy: not to pat myself on the back (wink wink) but do you all get what I was preaching about the guy back in April?

Two simple words: "Horrible pitching." Pitch badly enough and most major league teams will KNOCK THE SNOT OUT OF YOU.

I'm not saying the Cards won't get back in the race, but I am saying that you're placing WAY too much stock in their outburst last night against horrible pitching. Typical rookie mistake. :)

Magdal
07-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Two simple words: "Horrible pitching." Pitch badly enough and most major league teams will KNOCK THE SNOT OUT OF YOU.

I'm not saying the Cards won't get back in the race, but I am saying that you're placing WAY too much stock in their outburst last night against horrible pitching. Typical rookie mistake. :)Obviously the pitching was bad. Every team in baseball has faced dozens of bad pitchers this and every year. That's not EVEN the point.

Interesting enough, Matheny, smelling a resurgence by his team has benched Berkman, Molina and Shumacher, all of whom have been hitting the cover off the ball for the Mendoza triplets, one of which is Tyler Green, who he has LEADING OFF in spite of the fact that he has the lowest OBP you ever saw, and a wooden glove as well.

I can't figure if MM is on the Cub's payroll, or the Reds!:eek:

Trajinous
07-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Haha, the Cards had one good inning......relax a bit.

Magdal
07-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Haha, the Cards had one good inning......relax a bit.LOL...you don't get it. My point is a thing like that can snap a team out of it's lethargy. And I think it has. They ourscored the Cubs 23-1 in the series. Have the Reds or the Bucs done that?

The Reds better keep winning, and they should for the next 3 series vs. the bottom feeders.

The amazin' Pirates won again today. But I still think they will be the 1st to blink. The Cards play the dodgers 4 this week. I predict a sweep:eek:

'69
07-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Who will be the first to blink? The Cardinals should mash, the key is their rotation. I don't see the Dodgers coming off a sweep of the Mets on the road to sweep a four game series on the road but stranger things have, of course, happened. I think the Cardinals will be big-time buyers at the deadline, with some bullpen help they will raise sharply.

Pirates should sweep the Cubs, just as the Reds should sweep the Astros.

I caught some of the Astros-Diamonbacks game, and the Astros are embarrassingly bad in all three phases.

All three of these teams are good, there is little to support the Pirates fading, they remind me a little of the '99 Reds team, playing and winning with swagger and/or magic.

Magdal
07-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Who will be the first to blink? The Cardinals should mash, the key is their rotation. I don't see the Dodgers coming off a sweep of the Mets on the road to sweep a four game series on the road but stranger things have, of course, happened. I think the Cardinals will be big-time buyers at the deadline, with some bullpen help they will raise sharply.

Pirates should sweep the Cubs, just as the Reds should sweep the Astros.

I caught some of the Astros-Diamonbacks game, and the Astros are embarrassingly bad in all three phases.

All three of these teams are good, there is little to support the Pirates fading, they remind me a little of the '99 Reds team, playing and winning with swagger and/or magic.No Man...I think the CARDS sweep! And I don't see the Cards buying anybody. Their only sub .500 starter is Wainwright, and the pen is solid. (2nd best in baseball since the ASG)The starting 8 average .290! The worst hitter is Furcal at about .270

They are a sleeping monster. But the Reds, Pirates and Brews have been holding their own, winning most series'. If that stops, St Louis will win the Central.

cw0802
07-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Don't worry...if Matheny keeps trotting out Victor "Here hit the poop out of this pitch" Marte...we won't be winning anything. Anytime that guy comes lumbering in the opposing team is about to score some runs.

What was most impressive about that 12 run inning was that it was done with no homeruns and the only person to really knock the snot out of the ball was Schumaker. Everyone else hit balls down the line

LexRedsFan
09-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Bump.

smixsell
09-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Delusional cards fans. Always good for a laugh. :-)