PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh about to acquire Wandy Rodriguez

[deleted]
07-24-2012, 09:09 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/pirates-close-to-acquiring-wandy-rodriguez.html

drowg14
07-24-2012, 09:13 PM
All this does in my opinion is help to slow the regression due to their pitching staff. He will help some though.

sdwagers
07-24-2012, 09:18 PM
I see this as poor move by the Pirates, pending the actual deal this will be very interesting.

Pony Boy
07-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Good. I hope this gets Walt into the game.

Mr.Redleg82
07-24-2012, 09:47 PM
It's official! Grossman and two other prospects

Wonderful Monds
07-24-2012, 09:51 PM
I see this as poor move by the Pirates, pending the actual deal this will be very interesting.

If the word is right that they're only marginal prospects, can't see how you can call this a bad deal for the Pirates.

joshua
07-24-2012, 10:04 PM
This is a close close race. Pirates just got better. I hope Walt doesn't stand still. With Votto out the team is hanging in there due to a weak schedule, we have to prepare to face the best teams in the NL and assume pitching may start regressing at any moment.

sdwagers
07-24-2012, 11:07 PM
If the word is right that they're only marginal prospects, can't see how you can call this a bad deal for the Pirates.

Early word had Alen Hanson in package - sounded like an overpay. given the prospects are marginal- good deal for the Pirates.

Tadasimha
07-24-2012, 11:34 PM
I don't see this as a game changer for the race. For his career, Wandy is 8-10 (26 starts) against the Reds with a 4.42 era. He also has a career losing record against the Cardinals (6-11 in 21 starts).

brm7675
07-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Why do people keep hamering to make a move when there isn't anything to get at a reasonable price that will greatly improve this team. The market just isn't there.

brm7675
07-24-2012, 11:39 PM
This is a close close race. Pirates just got better. I hope Walt doesn't stand still. With Votto out the team is hanging in there due to a weak schedule, we have to prepare to face the best teams in the NL and assume pitching may start regressing at any moment.

Whom do we have to prepare to face better then us?

joshua
07-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Pointing out his record against the Reds and Cards would be a good point if the Pirates only played the Reds and Cards the rest of the season. The Pirates definitely improved their rotation.

There is definite improvement to be had at the top of the Reds lineup. Right now we are cleaning up against a cupcake July schedule. We needed to be prepared to take on the elite teams of the National League. Could we right now? Maybe. But after the embarrassment of 2010, I don't want the front office taking any chances that the top of the order will go on a hot streak when matched up against the best pitchers that the best teams can throw at them. It’s also not too safe a bet to assume our pitching will keep us in every game like they have been and affording they luxury of the offense only having to scrounge up two or three runs.

We only have a few days left to bolster our lineup. I hope they are leaving no stone unturned. I'm not comfortable with standing still when we have an opportunity to improve the team.

The Rage
07-24-2012, 11:52 PM
The Reds are not going to replace Dusty's golden fawns: Stubbs and Bailey. Both should be upgraded and gotten rid of, but reality is reality. Jocketty has Ludwick and he is going nowhere.

I just don't see where this team can "upgrade" outside a lefty bench bat.

The Pirates are alot like the 99 Reds chasing the 99 Astros. They aren't as talented and they know it. I think Wandy is a nice pickup for them as Guzman was in 99. But we know how that all turned out.

Who Dey Time
07-24-2012, 11:53 PM
The Reds are not going to replace Dusty's golden fawns: Stubbs and Bailey. Both should be upgraded and gotten rid of, but reality is reality. Jocketty has Ludwick and he is going nowhere.

The Pirates are alot like the 99 Reds chasing the 99 Astros. They aren't as talented and they know it. I think Wandy is a nice pickup for them as Guzman was in 99. But we know how that all turned out.

Bailey is currently the 2nd best pitcher in this rotation. Your hate for him has gone from curious to patently ridiculous.

Votto4MVP
07-24-2012, 11:54 PM

Bailey should be upgraded?

Jeeze, you are frickin nuts. The dude has been a damn good pitcher for us this year and is still improving.

Stubbs I can see, but dont understand the ripping on bailey.

The Rage
07-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Bailey is currently the 2nd best pitcher in this rotation. Your hate for him has gone from curious to patently ridiculous.

We will see, tomorrow night you may eat those words. Arroyo has been the 2nd best pitcher with Leake not far behind.

EMAW
07-24-2012, 11:57 PM

Stubbs killed the Reds tonight

Who Dey Time
07-25-2012, 12:00 AM
We will see, tomorrow night you may eat those words. Arroyo has been the 2nd best pitcher with Leake not far behind.

No. If he pitches well you'll just go back to the he is lucky card. You talking about Bailey has as much credibility as the KKK talking about race relations.

Todd Gack
07-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Why do people keep hamering to make a move when there isn't anything to get at a reasonable price that will greatly improve this team. The market just isn't there.

Yup

brm7675
07-25-2012, 10:56 AM

I am not a Bailey fan...but have you actually "LOOKED" at his numbers this season. There are NO and I mean NO pitchers available on the market that can pitch better then what Bailey has given the Reds so far this season. As for Stubbs, sure his game has flaws, but again what player on the market can the Reds get and afford whom will out perform Stubbs?

People need to look a little closer at the players available, their costs and what we actually have on teh team right now..

P.E.R#14
07-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Whom do we have to prepare to face better then us?

Who

P.E.R#14
07-25-2012, 11:06 AM

Seriously? You must love the locks! :arroyo:

Trajinous
07-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Good pick up by the Pirates but the Reds have handled Wandy well the past few years. In 2 games, he has a 6.35 ERA and .301 opp avg. While it might not give Pitt a direct advantage over the Reds, Wandy will help them when they play the Cubs/Astros/etc.

I was surprised to see that Wandy and Bailey have virtually the same numbers.

P.E.R#14
07-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Good pick up by the Pirates but the Reds have handled Wandy well the past few years. In 2 games, he has a 6.35 ERA and .301 opp avg. While it might not give Pitt a direct advantage over the Reds, Wandy will help them when they play the Cubs/Astros/etc.

We'll see how well Wandy pitches when he knows he has a defense behind him and an offense to go to battle for him. Good move for the Pirates in my opinion.

P.E.R#14
07-25-2012, 11:52 AM

We'll see how well Wandy pitches when he knows he has a defense behind him and an offense to go to battle for him. Good move for the Pirates in my opinion.

Larkin88
07-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Who

Thank you. :)

Tadasimha
07-25-2012, 03:28 PM

IN '05, the the Astros ended up 2nd to the Cardinals in the regular season and beat them in the playoffs to go the World Series, Wandy was 10-10 with a 5.53 era and went 0-4 against the Cardinals and Padres who were division winners that season (he didn't pitch against the Braves, who won the NL east).

We've seen how he pitches with a good team around him.

P.E.R#14
07-25-2012, 04:07 PM
IN '05, the the Astros ended up 2nd to the Cardinals in the regular season and beat them in the playoffs to go the World Series, Wandy was 10-10 with a 5.53 era and went 0-4 against the Cardinals and Padres who were division winners that season (he didn't pitch against the Braves, who won the NL east).

We've seen how he pitches with a good team around him.

That's some serious stat digging!!

Rookie year. Seven years ago. Hard for me to compare them to today.

Tadasimha
07-25-2012, 05:27 PM
That's some serious stat digging!!

Rookie year. Seven years ago. Hard for me to compare them to today.

Just using that season as an example of him with a solid team behind him. Couple of years later and they were the crappy 'stros we've all come to know and ignore.

I just don't see this move putting the Pirates over the top.